Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Truth be told? Using the Wayback Machine of STO: Rebirth brought some interesting things back to light. Autofire only working for one fore and one aft weapon, the slowness of ground combat, the ridiculous skill spec tree, the length of ground combat, the inability to access any C-Store items or use global chat/mail systems, the fact that I only made it to level 5 before the servers went down for maintenance, and how much it hurt to have no resources to start with. With so few players playing, there was nothing on the Exchange to buy and flip at vendors for more EC, which was my first source of income in the closed/open betas. But, other than that... it was a pretty fun romp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tunicate posted:

In the spirit of STO Rebirth,

I'm going through the old PW forum posts.

quote:

the cat is out of the bag and its name isnt spot!

STar Trek Online Season 10 Rebirth: the cat is out of the bag and its name isnt spot!

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
Even though I hate what this endgame is now, I'm planning on casually running a Delta for the photonic boff if nothing else. I have currently:

- Fed Sci @50 (don't laugh, this was my starting character)
- Fed Engie @60 (my main leveled dude whom I love)
- Klingon Tac @ 50 (mostly used for contra)
- Romney TAC @30 or so who I gave up on leveling through the main missions again.

Any recommendations on best faction/specialization combo to do next?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Do a klingon or a klankrom so that you can use it as a marauder later

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Good as time as any to repost,

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

With the Rebirth/Recruit thing, is there anything special to do other than make a new character?

edit:I knew what the hell I meant.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 3, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Man I was waiting for the delta recruit stuff to start over, but Pillars of Eternity just came out and reading that leaks page ahahaha no gently caress this

*deletes STO install*

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

WarLocke posted:

Man I was waiting for the delta recruit stuff to start over, but Pillars of Eternity just came out and reading that leaks page ahahaha no gently caress this

*deletes STO install*

Is your disk so small?

Look, I have pillars of eternity, and wh n you run out of mans to kill and realize you don't want to buy more mans for copper, where will you be?

On that same day, the loving vermin will still infest sto.,they will be everywhere, ready to sperg out and go apeshit if even one iota of decency is displayed before their degenerate faces, spates ships are only one small part of the sto experience. Imagine a zoo of freaks who, if left to their own devices, will start pissing in one another's mouths.

Now, imagine you have a stick to hit them with to make them stop.

Wrap your hand aroind that stick and show them what decency means. All we ask is that you send more goons, there is real work to be done in sto.

In a world of lovely mmos, sto pubbies are not like other pubbies.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

in fairness sto is still p. bad and doomed tho

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

in fairness sto is still p. bad and doomed tho

Totally not empty quoting this.

For the two or three of you still actively playing you do realise that when licensed MMOs die they actually do shut down when license renewal comes up right? Case in point: Warhammer Online.

I mean if you're THAT desperate for star treks then by all means knock yourself out, just don't expect too much in the future.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On the upside, the new Galaxy console is space party time

Pink and Purple energy pulsing in and out

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 4, 2015

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

MikeJF posted:

On the upside, the new Galaxy console is space party time

Pink and Purple energy pulsing in and out

Guess it's time to implement a console inhibitor.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Could I get wiki access for Jedi425 and chat access for @Jedi425? In a fit of madness, I patched after not playing for a while. Figure I'll see the Romney story before the game gets shut down.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Jedi425 posted:

Could I get wiki access for Jedi425 and chat access for @Jedi425? In a fit of madness, I patched after not playing for a while. Figure I'll see the Romney story before the game gets shut down.

You're in.

Tiny update to the leaks, scroll down to the bottom for it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Oooh, thanks. I've just changed my plan for my main from getting [UPCOMING THING] to [OTHER UPCOMING THING YOU JUST UPDATED].

Noice.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I thought you guys might approve of my new Alt and her Away team

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Tuskin38 posted:

Ban this sick filth

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tuskin38 posted:

loving *throws keyboard across the room*

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Now in proper uniforms, and once I hit 11 they'll all have Bajoran weapons

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Tuskin38 posted:

Now in proper uniforms, and once I hit 11 they'll all have Bajoran weapons

Are you RPing as a bunch of terrorists??

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Should be the USS WAAAAH

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

If they do revamp the Cardassian missions, I want Cardassian ground weapons as a rewards.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
U.S.S. Bad-Jorin

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Even Darmok and Jalad hate Bajorans!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm running through STO as a Delta Recruit on the Klingon side. I never got past Commander previously, so I'm a bit fuzzy on some things. For instance, what can I do with the mark boxes I'm getting as Delta Recruit rewards? I'm not opening them just yet because I'm not sure which marks I'd want. Do I even need to worry about this before level 50?

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm running through STO as a Delta Recruit on the Klingon side. I never got past Commander previously, so I'm a bit fuzzy on some things. For instance, what can I do with the mark boxes I'm getting as Delta Recruit rewards? I'm not opening them just yet because I'm not sure which marks I'd want. Do I even need to worry about this before level 50?

You will want to "cash them in" later, so for your choices get the Omega ones (Assimilated Module), Romulan ones (Engines) and Nukura ones (Deflector & Shields). The rest are less useful. You will need Fleet engines.
You will need to "level up" in those sections by constantly sacrificing 30 marks a day to unlock the end game levels.
GRIIIIND!

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Only took over a year to fix:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1421731

quote:

General:

Loadouts:
Resolved an issue where occasionally Bridge Officers would have their powers reset to default when transferring maps.
Resolved an issue where Bridge Officers would occasionally be removed from their station when transferring maps.

Also:

quote:

Added text to trait rewards that mention a player has to transfer maps in order for the trait to be available.
Instead of actually fixing the way the reward applies we're just going to add this bit of text telling you that you have to jump through an additional hoop because we can't be asked to figure out how to fix it without breaking things.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah they've "fixed" those bugs a few times. Frankly I wouldn't expect this attempt to be any more successful.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Forums user Worffan, who gets offended at absolutely everything, just created a thread listing "most offensive episodes of Star Trek."

Can we get a few Cardassian apologists in this thread to make sure it delivers?

Edit: forgot link - http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1422241

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DonDoodles posted:

Forums user Worffan, who gets offended at absolutely everything, just created a thread listing "most offensive episodes of Star Trek."

Very good.

Now that smirk is gone I am considering starting a campaign to get my foundry contest thread reopened. Smirk was the one that closed it, and he's not here anymore, so I am thinking of reaching out to trendy.

Reading that idiot's post got star trek on my brain, and I was thinking earlier that maybe I should buy 5$ worth of zen before submitting a ticket to reach out to trendy, in case they prioritize "active spenders." Just now it reminded me of how all the ferengi houses and offices had the tip jar thing where you drop in a piece of money if you want to talk to them.

Anyway, I'd pay five bucks to get to re-live the foundry contest sperg out.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Though Code of Honor is like completely racist. I believe Frakes even called it "a racist piece of poo poo"

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
I've seen Trendy in the forums irregularly, but I have very little direct contact with her aside from asking in zone what she thought of SFD (she loves us, for the record). Kinsha even started a campaign to remove Trendy from her position because of that exchange -- she is too pro-Dental, apparently.

Towards the end of Smirk's run, I think he was just letting us go to watch the playerbase rage a bit. I got a PM from him "loling" at some of the disparaging comments I made about Branflakes on the forums, signaling his disillusionment with his position and the people he had to deal with. He probably knew he was out, which is why he more or less let us run wild on Vulcan. Players wasted no time in shutting all over him for being too lenient and not being Bran.

Trendy is fast to close threads, but I've never actually seen her take punitive measures against a player. I think she realizes that she needs to appear more hands on than Smirk, but to what extent I'm not particularly sure.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DonDoodles posted:

I was going to ask why this idiot even bothered thinking about this in the first place, much less created a thread about it, but on second thought I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Still though :psyduck:

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Radiant Antiprotons: because the problem antiproton damage had was that it wasn't firing often enough to do damage, right?

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
lol at Bluegeek rushing in to save the thread and adding his own content only to get told off by Worffan for not adhering to his parameters of "offensive."

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

DonDoodles posted:

lol at Bluegeek rushing in to save the thread and adding his own content only to get told off by Worffan for not adhering to his parameters of "offensive."

I've offered him a gentle reprimand, while making sure my avatar is suitably appropriate for the occasion.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Lorak posted:

Radiant Antiprotons: because the problem antiproton damage had was that it wasn't firing often enough to do damage, right?

You missed the best bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis