Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So does this need 67% to pass or is it majority?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Lmao put it on the ballot haha he's such a scum fucker, he won't even pretend that he'd ever vote for it

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
FYI, since it doesn't have a tax increase as a part of it, it only needs a simple majority to pass.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Don't give a gently caress about the republicans, but these idiotic milquetoast dems who think the soon-to-be-gutted ACA is good enough need to GET GOOD.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Glumslinger posted:

So does this need 67% to pass or is it majority?

Majority, since it doesn't have a funding method yet. Will need a supermajority when it comes back I think though.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Now the Senator from California's rear end in a top hat is going to preach to us about how to do things.

Yeah people are relocating because they don't want to live in loving Bakersfield.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CPColin posted:

Digging this entirely unsourced 15% tax figure they keep bandying about. Also, "From what I'm hearing, businesses will close." Hearing from where, huh?
My health insurance already costs ~20% of my income... why is this 15% tax number a big deal?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, Nguyen's argument are especially batshit and dishonest, even by the standards of the Republicans speaking so far.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CopperHound posted:

My health insurance already costs ~20% of my income... why is this 15% tax number a big deal?

Because I'm asking you if you want to pay both for no reason so I can say you're against single payer

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I was going to ask what's up with this lady's speaking style but then looked it up and she's a refugee from VN and now I kinda feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
"How is a good system supposed to work when our bad system barely works?!"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The North Tower posted:

I was going to ask what's up with this lady's speaking style but then looked it up and she's a refugee from VN and now I kinda feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Doesn't excuse her being a lovely loving person.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CopperHound posted:

Exactly. A tax is probably my preferred way to handle it, because I can look at salary information for a job and factor in the consistent income tax a lot easier than I can compare giant tables of esoteric plan names.

I got the below image during my current job search in response to me asking for details on benefits. I wanted to email back, "Great, now what's the actual value of each of those plans?"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Doesn't excuse her being a lovely loving person.

For sure. I just want to be sure I make fun of her for things that ARE her fault.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay are we out of Republicans yet? There's only thirteen, but I haven't been keeping count. They've all been so horrible too. It's like they're having a lovely person competition.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's pretty funny how obviously stupid every single argument they're using is, they're all so childish and facile

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

FOOL'S GOLD!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
just ask people for a loving utility bill to determine residency jesus christ, or just use whatever the csu and uc use to determine residency

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I want a Democrat to call out these poo poo fuckers who talk about how it needs work or to be cooked or whatever the gently caress the Republicans are saying and just point out that they're never voting for it no matter what

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
"Corporate monopolies are bad for the consumer! SO HOW CAN A GOVERNMENT MONOPOLY BE GOOD FOR CITIZENS?! CHECKMATE DEMS!"

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Here we go!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Lemming posted:

I want a Democrat to call out these poo poo fuckers who talk about how it needs work or to be cooked or whatever the gently caress the Republicans are saying and just point out that they're never voting for it no matter what

Thank you, Senator De León!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hell yeah :cool:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Hooray

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

23-14 YES!!!!!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hueso didn't even stick around to vote!

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The North Tower posted:

23-14 YES!!!!!!

Eventually this page should get updated to show the roll call:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billVotesClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB562

My senator (Beall) voted yes when it was in the appropriations committee so I assume he voted for it on the floor.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Somebody was kind enough to tweet screenshots of the roll:

https://twitter.com/Villavlcek/status/870432654256033792

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
At least with last call at 4am, you could drink all night until BART starts running again finally because it turns into a pumpkin at midnight

unless you're drinking on a Saturday then lol get hosed since it doesnt run until like 8am

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Xaris posted:

At least with last call at 4am, you could drink all night until BART starts running again finally because it turns into a pumpkin at midnight

unless you're drinking on a Saturday then lol get hosed since it doesnt run until like 8am

As someone who's done Uber/Lyft to make some extra money when underemployed, I expect this is going to be great for drivers of all kinds. 230-430 in the Bay Area is usually dead since the first planes don't land until 430.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I don't understand why they don't just run bart on 24 hours on Friday/Saturday.

I totally get that there is fairly little need for bart to run from midnight-5am Sunday-Thursday, but you would think they would just keep it running Friday night and Saturday night.

It's actually pretty infuriating because it makes night activities with friends across the bay much more difficult to coordinate.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

As I understood it, it's because they have to shut down the Transbay Tube in order to do maintenance on its track, and they have to do maintenance on a section of its track every or almost every night in order to have maintained the whole thing on a regular calendar basis.

So as with most civic infelicities, its perfectly solvable with a time machine and increased spending on trains. :spergin:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

As I understood it, it's because they have to shut down the Transbay Tube in order to do maintenance on its track, and they have to do maintenance on a section of its track every or almost every night in order to have maintained the whole thing on a regular calendar basis.

So as with most civic infelicities, its perfectly solvable with a time machine and increased spending on trains. :spergin:

It seems like that only running the trains 2 of 7 nights a week shouldn't gently caress things up too bad. That's still 5 nights a week where they get to shut down the tube. If that's too much of an ask, then just burn everything to the ground.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I don't understand why they don't just run bart on 24 hours on Friday/Saturday.

I totally get that there is fairly little need for bart to run from midnight-5am Sunday-Thursday, but you would think they would just keep it running Friday night and Saturday night.

It's actually pretty infuriating because it makes night activities with friends across the bay much more difficult to coordinate.

Yeah BART has said that with current funding levels leaving the BART open later would force them to open later as a result. Since their data shows that a bunch of people use the BART to get to work in the early morning they pick that audience to serve.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah BART has said that with current funding levels leaving the BART open later would force them to open later as a result. Since their data shows that a bunch of people use the BART to get to work in the early morning they pick that audience to serve.

And they should still be serving them, Monday-Friday. But on Friday/Saturday night, they should either stay running later and open later or just stay running 24 hours.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh, so it really is just a funding problem.

Doc Hawkins posted:

increased spending on trains. :spergin:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I normally hate Bay Area busses but tbh for the relatively smalll late night ridership they could solve a lot just running better late night scheduled busses as opposed to a few of the abominable nIght AC lines that are like once every 2 hrs. Less staffing for keeping stations open (and clean, holy god I took a 130am NYE Bart once, p much everyone pissing in the station and some puke)

There's also like no traffic at that time anyways so it could be faster as opposed to having to work with maintenance schedule and running slow through sections that are being worked on

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

And they should still be serving them, Monday-Friday. But on Friday/Saturday night, they should either stay running later and open later or just stay running 24 hours.

I think they're still using the BART to get to work on the weekend too

quote:

In 2011, the BART Board of Directors directed staff to study shifting service hours on weekends so that Saturday and Sunday morning train service would begin later to allow Friday and Saturday night service to end later. This would preserve the maintenance window. But the 2011 survey found that customers who ride early in the morning are predominately minority and low-income and largely riding to work. Shifting service hours would negatively impact these customers.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh, so it really is just a funding problem.

I think the single track is why they have to shut the tube for maintenance and it is funding issues why they can't shut the tube down for shorter periods.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I still don't understand why they have to do maintenance on the tube literally every single night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I still don't understand why they have to do maintenance on the tube literally every single night.

It's 3+ miles of the most heavily used track in the entire system. In a tunnel. Underwater. With no redundancy.