Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Harbin is always worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Preschool is hell on earth

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

peanut posted:

Which is worse, being homeless in Vegas or teaching preschool in Harbin?

I'm gonna say homeless is worse, but preschool is far more depressing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Preschool is nice to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Which is worse, being homeless in Vegas or teaching preschool in Harbin?

Don't you teach preschool in the remote corners of civilization?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo! posted:

Harbin is always worse.

I dropped in in this thread from a blind link and read this post and realized I was in The Real China Thread and just thought "yeah that's true, Harbin is bad"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

caberham posted:

Don't you teach preschool in the remote corners of civilization?

Yup, but at a chill nonprofit in nonHarbin

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I have a 10-year multiple entry L visa and want to overland from Kathmandu to Lhasa, and then continue on to Beijing, etc.

Is it possible to get a Tibet travel permit through a tour in Kathmandu, and then go off on my own to the rest of China from Lhasa?

Anyone have any experience with this?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Friendly reminder that Argle Bargle Three is an idiot racist bitch who lacks the self awareness and/or mental fortitude to admit how smart he isn't. :)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Actually he's probably an alright guy in real life but I feel compelled to say things like that about my forums enemy.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I have a 10-year multiple entry L visa and want to overland from Kathmandu to Lhasa, and then continue on to Beijing, etc.

Is it possible to get a Tibet travel permit through a tour in Kathmandu, and then go off on my own to the rest of China from Lhasa?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Recently there's a new friendship border between Nepal and China. As for visas you need to arrange a group visa and car hire. Luckily you can be a group of one! Of course it's safer to get all documents ready before landing

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

Actually he's probably an alright guy in real life but I feel compelled to say things like that about my forums enemy.

He is a pretty swell guy, I met him.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

caberham posted:

Recently there's a new friendship border between Nepal and China. As for visas you need to arrange a group visa and car hire. Luckily you can be a group of one! Of course it's safer to get all documents ready before landing

Can you arrange all that in Kathmandu?

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
Anyone have any advice for someone looking for an English teaching job in Nanjing at a second or third tier university at the end of Spring Festival? I've got the standard qualifications and a recommendation letter from a third tier university I taught at last year. I've been digging around online looking for jobs, but it's a loving nightmare what with all of the scams all over the place. I keep hearing that it's super easy to find a job as an English teacher in China without resorting to agents or eChinaCities and all of that poo poo, but everything I see that says that doesn't actually offer any helpful advice. I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
China goon PSA: Hainan Air, a Chinese carrier, is having a flash sale on their flights to Shanghai or Beijing from/to US airports for $509.

-Purchase date must be November 7-9th (now now now)
-Travel dates can be anytime between November 10th and June 30th
-Boston, Seattle, Chicago, San Jose - Beijing; or Boston, Seattle - Shanghai.

Best transpacific return price I've ever seen.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Quick, everyone quit your job now while the price is good!

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Nails posted:

Anyone have any advice for someone looking for an English teaching job in Nanjing at a second or third tier university at the end of Spring Festival? I've got the standard qualifications and a recommendation letter from a third tier university I taught at last year. I've been digging around online looking for jobs, but it's a loving nightmare what with all of the scams all over the place. I keep hearing that it's super easy to find a job as an English teacher in China without resorting to agents or eChinaCities and all of that poo poo, but everything I see that says that doesn't actually offer any helpful advice. I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Are you in Nanjing? If so, best bet is to go to the universities in question with your CV, find the foreign languages department and speak to someone in person. Chinese universties are pretty crap about recruitment and even publishing accurate contact info on their websites, so in person is your best shot.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

fart simpson posted:

Friendly reminder that Argle Bargle Three is an idiot racist bitch who lacks the self awareness and/or mental fortitude to admit how smart he isn't. :)

My boss likes him.

But she's Mormon, so...judgment is suspect.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Daduzi posted:

Are you in Nanjing? If so, best bet is to go to the universities in question with your CV, find the foreign languages department and speak to someone in person. Chinese universties are pretty crap about recruitment and even publishing accurate contact info on their websites, so in person is your best shot.

You could also just email them if you're not in Nanjing. Worked for me.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

Tracking down an actual email address can be a bitch, though, given how horrendously designed and ridiculously out of date so many university websites are.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

duralict posted:

China goon PSA: Hainan Air, a Chinese carrier, is having a flash sale on their flights to Shanghai or Beijing from/to US airports for $509.

That would be perfect for me to get to and from Shandong this December, but whatever I throw at it returns a We are unable to find recommendations for your search. Please change your search criteria and try again. (66002 [-1])
error.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Warbird posted:

That would be perfect for me to get to and from Shandong this December, but whatever I throw at it returns a We are unable to find recommendations for your search. Please change your search criteria and try again. (66002 [-1])
error.

Me too, searching may/june. I think it may just be broken right now.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Daduzi posted:

Unfortunately, no, I'm back in the US. This is pretty much exactly the problem I'm having, but I've been researching different options for recruiters and job listings on the internet, and pretty much everything ends up being a scam. It sucks. I was really hoping someone might know a reputable recruiter or university in the area. I really don't want to get hosed over by a scam, or worked until I'm dead inside by some English First like English factory.

Tom Smykowski posted:

Where did you find an email address? I haven't had much luck tracking down universities.

Daduzi posted:

Tracking down an actual email address can be a bitch, though, given how horrendously designed and ridiculously out of date so many university websites are.

Yeah, this.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I dug around the lovely websites and in the cases where I didn't see anything specifically for the English department, I emailed addresses on the main page (some of which also didn't work).

Edit: if they have a section for international students, email that office. They're usually the same people who deal with hiring foreigners anyways.

Tom Smykowski fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 8, 2015

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Baddog posted:

Me too, searching may/june. I think it may just be broken right now.

I'm worried they all sold out when they first announced the sale. I'm unable to get anything out of the form and there seems to be little to no info on that error. This would going to be the difference between $500 and $2000. I can't afford a normal ticket.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Warbird posted:

I'm worried they all sold out when they first announced the sale. I'm unable to get anything out of the form and there seems to be little to no info on that error. This would going to be the difference between $500 and $2000. I can't afford a normal ticket.

I found a pretty good search from Kayak that shows the cheapest flights that have been booked recently. I was surprised at so many under 600 now. Down the right side is the cheapest from each US city. So if you are flexible at all, this might help narrow down a search? If I can't put together cheap air all the way from Denver to Changsha, we can get to west coast cities fairly cheaply (using a southwest companion pass), and then once I hit china just figure out a train to changsha from wherever.

http://www.kayak.com/flight-routes/United-States-US0/China-CN0

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Re: Spring Festival travel

fart simpson posted:

Don't go a week or so before the official holiday. Daduzi is trying to trick you.

Ultra-late on this, I know, but by "the official holiday" I mean the full period of a week or so, not Spring Festival Eve.

Do not travel one week before Spring Festival Eve. That way lies madness.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Baddog posted:

I found a pretty good search from Kayak that shows the cheapest flights that have been booked recently. I was surprised at so many under 600 now. Down the right side is the cheapest from each US city. So if you are flexible at all, this might help narrow down a search? If I can't put together cheap air all the way from Denver to Changsha, we can get to west coast cities fairly cheaply (using a southwest companion pass), and then once I hit china just figure out a train to changsha from wherever.

http://www.kayak.com/flight-routes/United-States-US0/China-CN0

I appreciate it, but I'm smack dab in the middle of that mid December hump of prices. I'm likely boned no matter what, but I'll keep an eye out.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Instead of remembering Remembrance Day it's loving singles day. Everything online is pretty cheap and if you can check out the airfare

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
All you chengdu goons come and visit me.

1000 rmb round trip

https://sijipiao.alitrip.com/ie/flight_searcher.htm?depCity=CTU&arrCity=HKG&tripType=1&depDate=2016-01-09&arrDate=2016-01-13searchBy=

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Uh it's Pocky Day tyvm

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

Uh it's Pocky Day tyvm

It's singles day. I'm a single, so I bought stuff.

I bought air filters.

An oven.

Some ceramic cookware.

Some macadamia nuts and cashews.

A MG MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom

A pull up bar

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

How about I come in on the 18th and we see Star Wars?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

loving singles day sounds like a great day to me

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

How about I come in on the 18th and we see Star Wars?

YESSS

I will get you a ticket. Goon meet 19. Christmas Roast

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol @MK a spite date would be cheaper

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok goons, I somehow hit the goddamn lottery and landed myself and the gf tickets to Shanghai for 700 and change. If any of you have some hot tips I'd love to hear them. I've rarely left the Southeast so I'm comically out of my depth.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

caberham posted:

YESSS

I will get you a ticket. Goon meet 19. Christmas Roast

Roast where?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

simplefish posted:

Roast where?

The No-Simplefish Restaurant on Brits-Not-Allowed Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Must have added that road since '97

And fine i will have my own roast and YOUR not invited Mr T Smykowski