Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, that looks very Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Can someone explain what the gently caress this Rebirth poo poo is? I Googled it and they said they are retiring Holodeck. Isn't that the main game server?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Can someone explain what the gently caress this Rebirth poo poo is? I Googled it and they said they are retiring Holodeck. Isn't that the main game server?

April Fool's joke.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

kafziel posted:

I'm sure it meets Roddenberry's vision. :wink:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Asimo posted:

I'm sure it meets Roddenberry's vision. :wink:

Zefram Cochrane's warp engine was powered by Rodenberry spinning in his grave

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So, equipping the full Iconian Set:

- Boosts your turn rate (engines)
- Periodically removes debuffs (shields)
- Regens at full impulse (core)
- Buffs Distribute Shields (2pc)
- Buffs outgoing energy damage (3pc)
- Buffs damage AND healing (console)
- Provides Temporary hit points (weapon)

Plus one of the traits is a Valdore console for hull, and another buffs exotic damage AND another throws radiation dots on targets.

:getin:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Makes sense that the last reputation set they do would be the best one.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Didn't they already rip off Tron? I guess this looks more "original" Tron and less Tron Legacy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Finally deleted my STO install.

Ok it was by accident during a mass purge but I feel pretty good about it. Overdue.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Ok it was by accident during a mass purge but I feel pretty good about it. Overdue.

Well done. Now sell your account. You will feel even better.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

While I'd still like to see this game turn around, I really have no hope of it. So yeah, good decision there. :v:

SKY COQ posted:

- Buffs damage AND healing (console)
The hilarious thing is that not one of the bonuses on the console works right, and knowing Cryptic, this won't be fixed until weeks or months after the rep is live. The hull heal bonus is apparently only 12.5%, not 15, the shield heal bonus improperly scales with ship tier so it's only giving a third of the listed amount, and the weapon damage bonus literally does nothing. :downs:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

The hilarious thing is that not one of the bonuses on the console works right, and knowing Cryptic, this won't be fixed until weeks or months after the rep is live. The hull heal bonus is apparently only 12.5%, not 15, the shield heal bonus improperly scales with ship tier so it's only giving a third of the listed amount, and the weapon damage bonus literally does nothing. :downs:

So what you're saying is I don't have to grind out new gear! Yay!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Yeah look having seen that the rep weapons replace a good damage proc with a temporary hull heal I think I'll go something else for damage now too. "Tank" types will love it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

Yeah look having seen that the rep weapons replace a good damage proc with a temporary hull heal I think I'll go something else for damage now too. "Tank" types will love it.
They actually still have the antiproton proc, it's just +10% rather than +20%. I doubt a piddly temp hull is worth 10% CrtD, but there you go.

The unique rep beam might be interesting though, in the same way the experimental romulan plasma beam is for plasma boats. Ramping up to 30% extra firing speed probably makes up for the loss of the CrtDx3 beam you had in that slot, and it'll give you the two-piece bonus with the console when that's fixed. If.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If they want to keep trying to promote tank sets why don't they just slap a +Threat on some of these things.

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
So, I haven't logged in for like a year and a half, (around the time the dinosaur stuff showed up,) is there anything critical I should know about?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Dr. Sneer Gory posted:

So, I haven't logged in for like a year and a half, (around the time the dinosaur stuff showed up,) is there anything critical I should know about?

Yeah theres been some changes: they raised the level cap and your t5 ship/mk xii crap is yesterday's news; the post 50 xp grind is a horrendous slog; they made failing the old STF optionals into a hard fail condition so now the public queues are dead; there's a big event right now that requires making and levelling a fresh alt; alts aren't really viable since doing the xp/gear upgrade grind for a single character is already pretty much a full time job.

So yeah the game is pretty much hosed. There's still some fun to be had but we're pretty much watching them shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic at this point.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

If they want to keep trying to promote tank sets why don't they just slap a +Threat on some of these things.
Because they don't want to actually promote tank sets, but pubbies keep demanding them for some loving reason so Cryptic half-assedly drops gear that vaguely seems like it into the game.

Alternatively or in addition, all their metrics show players dying left and right through a mix of overtuned queues and the usual pub retardation, so they slap tank-style stats on new gear to try and keep that guy doing 500 dps alive for more than five seconds.

Lagomorphic posted:

there's a big event right now that requires making and levelling a fresh alt; alts aren't really viable since doing the xp/gear upgrade grind for a single character is already pretty much a full time job.
Yeah it's pretty clear the delta recruit thing is Cryptic's "solution" to alts being pointless, except it doesn't actually solve any of the reasons that made alts pointless (like interminable specialization grinds; event/lobi/lockbox ships and items being character-locked; having to pay a sizable amount of dil and credits to get rep and other bind-to-character gear to Mk XiV; new characters needing a suite of vastly overpriced active duty officers from old lockboxes; etc). :geno:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You know what would be funny/terrible?

All old reps disappear with the Iconian Resistance. Most maps disappear too.(Including tutorials?) Simply put, the Resistance is all that's LEFT of everything. Hence 'Resistance' vs the usual 'task force'.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah it's the xp that kills me. It's 160k per spec point at 60 so grinding out a new specialization requires 4.8 million xp. That's of 13x the xp it takes to get to level 50. Everything else I can just throw space money at but the xp is just a huge roadblock.

It's annoying as gently caress since rolling new alts was the endgame for me pre-DR so I'm sitting on like a dozen very well fitted contra mules these days. Also the hundreds of millions in EC worths of bound doffs on characters I don't even loving play anymore.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I don't have the source handy but I'm pretty sure Borticus admitted that the specialization XP rate was scaled for one character, but they didn't put in any means to accelerate it on alts because they didn't think it was necessary. :effort: So yeah it's literally intentional to be near-impossible to catch up with an alt unless you run patrols in a circle for a few hours a day for a month.

Duty officers are a huge issue too and it's one that's only going to get bigger as the game goes along unless Cryptic re-releases important old ones in easily accessible forms, adds new doffs with effectively similar effects through different means, makes every skill at the global cooldown, or some combination of these. Attack pattern conn officers start at 60+m these days and you basically need two per character or wind up running a subpar build, for example. Reciprocity can cover this some, but you need to have bought the ship, it's only available federation-side, and it drops off in situations where you aren't reliably being shot at.

Alts going absolutely useless post-DR is a huge drain on a lot of people's fun in game, even if it's a lot slower burn than the queue changes or some of the other more immediate gently caress yous. It hurts sales of klank and romulan ships since the vast majority of people play federation mains, it probably increases the tac-heavy class imbalance, and it flattens out the endgame dramatically once your main's geared up and maxed out. What the hell am I even supposed to do with Kahr now? Since I'm sure as gently caress not running queues for fun. I'd hop on the Romulan alt or the new klank deltalt now that I finished that off or... whatever, but then the spec point gulf stared me in the face...

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah it's the xp that kills me. It's 160k per spec point at 60 so grinding out a new specialization requires 4.8 million xp. That's of 13x the xp it takes to get to level 50. Everything else I can just throw space money at but the xp is just a huge roadblock.

It's annoying as gently caress since rolling new alts was the endgame for me pre-DR so I'm sitting on like a dozen very well fitted contra mules these days. Also the hundreds of millions in EC worths of bound doffs on characters I don't even loving play anymore.

I hope you will join me then. If the bonus xp doesn't go to tier 3 for whatever reason, use your lv 50 alts to join my rotating punishment brigade on the pubbies by sabotaging as many ISA pugs as you can for the whole week we should have been getting super bonus spec point xp.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Asimo posted:

I don't have the source handy but I'm pretty sure Borticus admitted that the specialization XP rate was scaled for one character, but they didn't put in any means to accelerate it on alts because they didn't think it was necessary. :effort: So yeah it's literally intentional to be near-impossible to catch up with an alt unless you run patrols in a circle for a few hours a day for a month.

Duty officers are a huge issue too and it's one that's only going to get bigger as the game goes along unless Cryptic re-releases important old ones in easily accessible forms, adds new doffs with effectively similar effects through different means, makes every skill at the global cooldown, or some combination of these. Attack pattern conn officers start at 60+m these days and you basically need two per character or wind up running a subpar build, for example. Reciprocity can cover this some, but you need to have bought the ship, it's only available federation-side, and it drops off in situations where you aren't reliably being shot at.

Alts going absolutely useless post-DR is a huge drain on a lot of people's fun in game, even if it's a lot slower burn than the queue changes or some of the other more immediate gently caress yous. It hurts sales of klank and romulan ships since the vast majority of people play federation mains, it probably increases the tac-heavy class imbalance, and it flattens out the endgame dramatically once your main's geared up and maxed out. What the hell am I even supposed to do with Kahr now? Since I'm sure as gently caress not running queues for fun. I'd hop on the Romulan alt or the new klank deltalt now that I finished that off or... whatever, but then the spec point gulf stared me in the face...

I did some temporal beacon assignments today and got a kdf Marion doff. I listed him on the exchange for 120m Ec, 10m cheaper than the next closest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would seem that the best way to reward "Tanks" is having situations where your goal is not to "win" a fight but to "survive" it til a timer runs out. Whether you do this through self-heal or by having guy draw enemy fire and then everyone slathers him in the relevant color of light.

The problem would be tuning it so idiots don't just melt on contact and then never return to that queue again ever-- too late!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Can I sponsor Rocktopus@ven1011 for chat access?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Can I sponsor Rocktopus@ven1011 for chat access?

Yes, and they're in.

EDIT Leaks, go look, etc

Korgan fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 9, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So apparently Tribble now lets you turn in more than 50 marks at a time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

So apparently Tribble now lets you turn in more than 50 marks at a time.

"Please boost our metrics by logging on, please! We'll even let you melt down all those marks on your disused alts that you couldn't be bothered to melt down before!"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Ya they are adding 500 mark turn ins. Going to further poo poo up the dilex when it hits.

Also a thing where you can do 100 marks to a BNP/power cell/whatever i think.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
In this thread, Dentals are compared to serial killers.

pubbie idiot posted:

Not sarcastic... what was done here by Dental is what people would call Griefing. Saying they are organized in their activities is about as much praise as saying that a Serial Killer is brilliant and insightful the longer they avoid capture and the more victims they have. 

Link: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1424191

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Guy killed most of his posts with edits, are there any screen shots handy?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, gonna need screenshots of this guy if you've got them.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Korgan posted:

Yeah, gonna need screenshots of this guy if you've got them.

http://i.imgur.com/2mKaJMf.jpg

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Good thread.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
You guys loved my Bajoran fed so much, here is my KDF DR alt

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ban this sick filth

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Tuskin38 posted:

You guys loved my Bajoran fed so much, here is my KDF DR alt

Can we stuff him in the Academy instead?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

kafziel posted:

Not quite as chrome, but...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I've been a member of the forums for quite some time. If I want to join Starfleet Dental (or, rather, Nerds of Prey, as I made a Klingon character for the whole Delta Recruit thing), do I still need to make a GBS thread to introduce myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Obviously.

• Locked thread