Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

"the Bismark"?

Does he mean the boat or is this like how old people say "the drugs"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what Freep thinks about daylight savings time...

quote:

Posted on 3/10/2018, 9:07:09 AM by ETL

Whether you blame it on the French, the English, the Germans or Benjamin Franklin, the scourge of daylight saving time will strike at 2 a.m. Sunday and create havoc for the hapless American worker. And it all started as a joke. The elderly Benjamin Franklin, said to enjoy a robust social life in Paris as the American envoy, after bit of an all-nighter was once unhappily woken by the morning sunlight at 6 a.m. Annoyed, as any red-blooded American would be, he penned a bit of satire.

The French, Franklin wrote, could save the modern-day equivalent of $200 million “through the economy of using sunshine instead of candles” if they moved their clocks ahead by an hour.

Naturally, politicians could not take a joke and turned farce into fact, and poor Ben’s name has been defamed ever since as the founding father of daylight saving time. Still, this pained idea was championed by an Englishman named William Willett, an earnest man and obviously the kind of offensively cheerful person who can make anyone’s morning a nightmare.

Willet wrote a brochure titled “The Waste of Daylight” in 1907. He preached the gospel of “summer time,” proving once again that the American colonists were wise to fight a war to distance ourselves from tyranny.

But it wasn’t until World War I that the Germans actually implemented the idea, and it crossed the ocean to the U.S. in 1918. Now, 100 years later, perhaps it’s time to send it back.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

quote:

To: ETL
Yeah, make it stop...and $h!tKan the post office...even if Amazon.com IS now bailing them out!
Replace the worst w/the best—UPS!
GunnyG@PlanetWTF?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3 posted on 3/10/2018, 9:12:57 AM by gunnyg ("A Constitution changed from Freedom, can never be restored; Liberty, once lost, is lost forever...)

quote:

I like Daylight Savings Time!

7 posted on 3/10/2018, 9:19:30 AM by Lopeover ( The 2016 Election is about allegiance to the United States!)

quote:

I’d like to set it a half hour in between and just leave it there year round. Call it MAGA Time.

9 posted on 3/10/2018, 9:21:05 AM by Sirius Lee (In God We Trust, In Trump We MAGA)

quote:

When told the reason for daylight saving time the Old Indian said,
“Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”
12 posted on 3/10/2018, 9:26:16 AM by MosesKnows (Love Many, Trust Few, and Always Paddle Your Own Canoe)

quote:

DST exists for only one reason: to remind you who’s in charge. Government says it’s 3AM and you agree. Stay in line and do what you’re told.

16 posted on 3/10/2018, 9:32:55 AM by discostu (It's been so long, welcome back my friend, to the show, that never ends.)

quote:

To: SMGFan; unkus; SkyPilot; ZULU
In my opinion, Daylight Savings Time is pure BS and a pain in the rear.

19 posted on 3/10/2018, 9:42:34 AM by ExTexasRedhead

uhhh......

quote:

Man made Day Light Savings Time. God made Standard Time. Who are you going to go with?

22 posted on 3/10/2018, 9:47:09 AM by pleasenotcalifornia

quote:

To: pleasenotcalifornia
God made Standard Time.
No. It was the railroads. He probably made high-noon time though.

25 posted on 3/10/2018, 10:13:52 AM by 386wt

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That would make a good Kelly comic.

Honest God Fearing Patriot: B-but we just changed the clocks!
Government Sicko: One less hour of sleep for you!
Lady Liberty: :911:
Corner Kelly: Daylight Savings Crime

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I thought Freepers would hate UPS now since they dropped their NRA perks.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

They can't keep track of who they are supposed to boycot anymore.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

What else are they going to send their inattentive cats with as they watch COPS?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I agree with freep on daylight savings time. Abolish it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I like light until like 9 pm :colbert:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Look at all you sorry fools. One day, perhaps, you can achieve the greatness of Saskatchewan!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

I’d like to set it a half hour in between and just leave it there year round. Call it MAGA Time.

9 posted on 3/10/2018, 9:21:05 AM by Sirius Lee (In God We Trust, In Trump We MAGA)

And thus with the stroke of Trump's pen, America joins the ranks of Newfoundland and Afghanistan in a +:30 time-zone...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Jeff Sessions says prosecutors won't pursue "small marijuana cases"

50% of Freepers like weed, but 90% of Freepers hate Sessions. There is a small pro-Sessions minority (pro-Southern Strategy ex-Dems?), but they get poo poo on pretty quickly.

quote:

The recent dramatic progress in grow light efficiency will not go to waste.

2 posted on 3/10/2018, 3:00:06 PM by Pearls Before Swine ("Married with children.")

Okay, mixed bag(gie) here:

quote:

What is small? This is where laws and enforcement go wrong. Is small 1 lb or 1 oz? To a trafficker, 1 lb is small. This is going to lead to very uneven application of the law, a clear violation of equal protection.

If Sessions wanted to be honest about it, he needs to set a weight specification. Those that want their pot just need to keep under the limit. Even then, nothing about this will ever make people happy. One thing I do know is that potheads will be potheads regardless of the law.

3 posted on 3/10/2018, 3:02:15 PM by Dutch Boy

People have *really* opened up on this issue:

quote:

It’s good that he continues to leave the definition of “small” and “major” deliberately amorphous.

That means folks like my cousin in Sonoma County will be able to continue to make a living. He and his cohorts are strong supporters of Sessions war on pot.

They all stay inside the Sonoma County limit of 99 registered and tagged plants. So, if the DEA has the resources to drive the back roads of Sonoma County...even with helicopters...to root out these scattered and camouflaged plots, I’d be surprised.

They’ll likely go after the big retailers first.

5 posted on 3/10/2018, 3:08:57 PM by Mariner (War Criminal #18)

While, yes, Sessions has said "if you don't want me prosecuting weed, make it legal", but I don't at all think that's his dream scenario.

quote:

s and enforcement go wrong.

Indeed, arbitrariness is a problem with selective law enforcement. The ideal solution is legislative acton. It's hard to argue against Sessions' logic on the matter that it is best to repeal bad laws rather than simply choosing to not enforce them.
9 posted on 3/10/2018, 3:15:27 PM by Drew68

*vapes*exhales*

quote:

Cat is out of the bag. With all of the legal jurisdictions, new tech and products - vape pens etc. - there is simply no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

And who would want to? Waging a war on people vaping CBDs would not be practical or even possible.
15 posted on 3/10/2018, 3:28:41 PM by AAABEST

Blind pig finds a stopped clock.

quote:

Good. Local crime should not be a federal case.

If it doesn’t involve Interstate Commerce, National Defense, or Immigration in a pre-20th Century sense, the Feds should keep their noses out of it.

Now expand this to other issues.

16 posted on 3/10/2018, 3:33:37 PM by PAR35

The one Sessions defender on the page:

quote:

AG Sessions can’t get a break from his critics. His statement was totally reasonable. He’s not going after people who are keeping matters to themselves. He’s investigating the out-of-control cases that are his priority because their impact affects others in a massive way.

20 posted on 3/10/2018, 4:02:33 PM by grania (Deplorable and Proud of It!)

Guys, Sessions is doing everyone a *favor* here!

quote:

It’s not what I or anyone else wants. The law is supposed to be applied equally. That can’t be done with fluctuating enforcement. Setting a specification helps get the definition on a level understanding. Currently the federal law is 0 ounces and he could enforce that. Sessions seems to be attempting to be a little more flexible with smaller quantities. However, no good deed will go unpunished.

21 posted on 3/10/2018, 4:05:27 PM by Dutch Boy

...not that he knows personally.

quote:

What the post office won’t tell you is that the cannabis business is helping pay for their pensions. A warrant is required to open a package sent via U.S. Postal Service. Not so with FedEx or UPS. Growers ship TONS of nugs all over the country via U.S. Post Office. The smart ones have a front website selling useless software or gadgets to account for their cannabis sales. The Feds busted Al Capone on tax evasion, not for bootlegging.

31 posted on 3/10/2018, 6:12:13 PM by neefer (We're walking real proud and we're talking real loud again.)

quote:

With all of the real problems this country is facing he has spent way too much time chasing pot heads. Seriously, a guy smoking weed in his apartment on Saturday night is more importent to Sessions than the previous administrations outright treasonous acts. He needs to be put out to pasture and Trump needs to put someone competent in the AG position.

32 posted on 3/10/2018, 6:41:49 PM by TonyM (UPS)

Apparently this is the 60yr old white guy equivalent of "porqué no los dos?"

quote:

[b]Sessions can’t walk and chew gum at the same time?

Even with thousands of employees?

33 posted on 3/10/2018, 6:52:49 PM by Paladin2

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is gunna get weird and pretty racist...

‘Let them call you racists. Wear it as a badge of honor’:Bannon in France

quote:

Posted on 3/11/2018, 4:08:32 AM by wardaddy

President Donald Trump's former adviser, Steve Bannon, told French far-right nationalists accused of racism to 'wear it as a badge of honor.' The former head of Breitbart News gave a speech before members of the French National Front Party on Saturday in Lille, France. 'Let them call you racists,' Bannon told party members. 'Let them call you xenophobes. Let them call you nativists. Wear it as a badge of honor.' Bannon told National Front members that 'history is on our side

Remember the bad old days when we couldn't just come out and say we're racist?

quote:

To: wardaddy
Not exactly objective reporting....but he’s right and I’d wager most freepers today as well as Breitbart readers etc get this...
It’s a far cry from 15 years ago when virtue signaling ruled the day even at conservative sites

1 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:08:32 AM by wardaddy

quote:

Right on Steve!

4 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:16:45 AM by Altura Ct.

quote:

Exactly. The whole ‘racist’ thing is almost exclusively meant to control and stifle. Members of groups like LaRaza or the Black Caucus or those who support such groups calling anyone racist is beyond the pale and totally absurd.

In fact they can GFT’s

9 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:31:08 AM by Altura Ct.

quote:

drat right. It cannot be the trump card, the kryptonite. We must stop being scared of being thought a racist. I actually think the ones who are more afraid of being called one are probably more racist than the ones who know it’s a tactic.

13 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:42:31 AM by Yaelle

Sticks and stones can break my bones by black and browns really scare me.

quote:

To: a fool in paradise
“Let them call you racists” was akin to “sticks and stones”.

15 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:44:35 AM by a fool in paradise (Wear an orange pin to mourn the victims of the Tide Pods Challenge.)

quote:

Bannon’s alternative is not usable, either. Instead of either wilting or wearing a heinous label as a badge of honor, why not do as Trump does, and bait traps for the name callers so they end up making fools of themselves repeatedly when the facts become known, and they lose all credibility.

17 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:45:37 AM by Eleutheria5 (“If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.)

quote:

To: Eleutheria5
What is wrong with being a nativist? Someone who puts his nation above globalist wishes?

18 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:47:58 AM by a fool in paradise (Wear an orange pin to mourn the victims of the Tide Pods Challenge.)

... yes this is exactly what happened.

quote:

To: a fool in paradise
That’s the typical distortion that you have to watch out for.

Some southern historical society wants to preserve a statue of Robert E. Lee in a town in Virginia. They apply for and get a permit to march. A bunch of anti-fa yahoos and Nazis also show up and turn the whole thing into a free-for-all and someone gets killed. Trump says that there are fine people on both sides of the issue, and an info-babe interprets that to mean he’s calling the Nazis “fine people”. Everyone runs with it.

This is predictable. The MSM wants to mis-quote and misunderstand. It’s what they do. You have to plan for a counter that blows them out of the water. It doesn’t help to keep saying they’re misquoting you.

20 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:50:44 AM by Eleutheria5 (“If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.)

quote:

To: Altura Ct.
“The whole ‘racist’ thing is almost exclusively meant to control and stifle.”

It’s called cultural marxism aka political correctness. Gramscian subversion...Racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. are terms meant to divide and ultimately destroy the society so it can be made into a proper marxist paradise. This crap has been taught in our skools for 3 generations.

Most liberals are so brainwashed they have no clue what they’re doing or that they’re carrying out this plan of societal destruction. They’re called useful idiots.

21 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:54:13 AM by Electric Graffiti (Obama voters killed America...Treat them accordingly.)

quote:

To: BenLurkin; All
There’s nothing honorable in being a racist.
No, but there is plenty of honor in being called a racist.

Being called a racist today means you have the right enemies.

Being called a racist means you refuse to bow down to Progressive’s Owellian definition of words.

It means you think for yourself.

It means you do not succumb to groupthink, and allowing the dominant media label you and villify you because you will not accept their agenda.

Being called a racist has lost any of semblance of connection with *being* a racist. People who are obvious, blatant racists are never called racist by the powers that be if they are the politically correct color.

23 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:59:03 AM by marktwain (President Trump and his supporters are the Resistance. His opponents are the Reactionaries.)

quote:

To: Eleutheria5
If you indeed live in Israel the you should really understand this
I used to go to Israel for work....ramat gan

You guys are swamped with all these smears

Imagine Israel falls for it and abolishes their borders and decides yep we really are Jewish Nazi islamaphobic 99% racist white nativist nationalists?

Who drink goyim blood too btw..lol

Of course not

Jews in Israel can’t afford this bullshit even if called all manner of perjorative and neither can we or the West

Period

The Japs get it.

So do the folks running Singapore...national cultural and to a degree ethnic and racial integrity

They are using our freedoms against us to destroy for the sake of spite and revenge for crap I had nothing to do

And the injustices they whine over if examined relative to their time were not that bad.

Would you have rather been a slave on a Virginia tobacco farm in 1790 or a Yoruba on the run from maurading Ibo

Or an Apache just captured by the Comanche?

And so on...no no we hold whites particularly Christians and now Jews in Israel to a higher standard

27 posted on 3/11/2018, 5:13:05 AM by wardaddy (As a southerner I've never trusted the Grand Old Party.....any questions?)

quote:

To: BenLurkin
I read about his speech in Polish media and DailyMail misreporting a lot. He said that they shouldn’t care about being called “racists”. He did not advocate racism.

31 posted on 3/11/2018, 5:36:14 AM by Lukasz

quote:

Imagine storming Normandy by sea, but then turning back because the Germans called you racist.

33 posted on 3/11/2018, 5:57:10 AM by TheNext

quote:

I understand exactly what Bannon means....this fear of being called racist has crippled the white race from Sydney to Stockholm to Seattle
Oprah's Ace card.

:(

34 posted on 3/11/2018, 6:16:47 AM by Does so (Let's make the word Mohammedism--adding it to other ISMs...)

...there's a bunch more going on in Freep-land last night into this morning most of it seems to come from the trump rally last night in PA and the fact that some gun control platform is coming out today from trump.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 11, 2018

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Now another thread about confederate statues....because this still isn't over yet.

Former Confederate site rededicated to Harriet Tubman

quote:

Posted on 3/11/2018, 1:01:30 AM by goldendelicious

A space at a Baltimore park that had long honored two Confederate generals has been rededicated to abolitionist Harriet Tubman.

The Baltimore Sun reports that hundreds of people gathered Saturday for the ceremony at Wyman Park Dell. The ceremony took place just feet from the now-empty pedestal where a large statue of Confederate Gens. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson once stood.

The statue was removed in August after a violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia reignited the national debate over what to do with symbols of the Confederacy.

Saturday was the 105th anniversary of Tubman's death. The space was renamed Harriet Tubman Grove.

quote:

To: goldendelicious
The words escape me. Our history is being destroyed - erased and soon forgotten.

2 posted on 3/11/2018, 1:16:26 AM by V K Lee (Anyone who thinks my story is anywhere near over is sadly mistaken. - Donald J. Trump)

quote:

all due respect to Harriet Tubman, but I won’t be visiting soon....Robert Lee was an American soldier, who ended up representing a whole swatch of America during the civil war....he deserves respect as well...

4 posted on 3/11/2018, 1:18:16 AM by cherry

quote:

This is a betrayal to all Southrons, celebrating that hag instead of real heroes.

7 posted on 3/11/2018, 1:46:20 AM by Max Tactical (MAGA Style!)

what does freep have against Tubman?

quote:

There’s no reason to believe that in the future a Tubman memorial will receive any better treatment than Lee or Jackson.

9 posted on 3/11/2018, 1:51:43 AM by clearcarbon

quote:

To: V K Lee
Ignorant low I.Q. gutter rats. How dare these human trash desecrate Lee’s statue. I spit on them. They should tear down that ugly “pregnant black woman” statue, which has no artistic value whatsoever. Lee is part of U.S. history, which should be remembered.

11 posted on 3/11/2018, 3:13:23 AM by EinNYC

Someone died in basically a hate crime, but it's wasn't "violent"

quote:

To: Cowboy Bob
The rally in Charlottesville was only “violent” because the commie fags in the far left “mainstream media” said it was “violent”. What a crock. The fake news “media” turning “fake news” into history already.

13 posted on 3/11/2018, 3:27:18 AM by FlingWingFlyer (#NotARussianBot)

quote:

The irony of it all is that Tubman was a cigar chewin’ pistol packin’ Republican.

16 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:32:00 AM by Clutch Martin (Hot sauce aside, every culture has its pancakes, just as every culture has its noodle.)

quote:

What a bunch of bull $%^t. This is the same crap that goes on in S. Africa, re-writing history. Maybe its time the good people of the US start boycotting Baltimore.

22 posted on 3/11/2018, 6:40:47 AM by kenmcg (tHE WHOLE)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Christ.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3638796/posts

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Waging a war on people vaping CBDs would not be practical or even possible.
15 posted on 3/10/2018, 3:28:41 PM by AAABEST

Certainly didn't stop the government from wasting effort trying to bust everyone that smoked a joint

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Plinkey posted:

To: BenLurkin; All
There’s nothing honorable in being a racist.
No, but there is plenty of honor in being called a racist.

Being called a racist today means you have the right enemies.

Being called a racist means you refuse to bow down to Progressive’s Owellian definition of words.

It means you think for yourself.

It means you do not succumb to groupthink
, and allowing the dominant media label you and villify you because you will not accept their agenda.

Being called a racist has lost any of semblance of connection with *being* a racist. People who are obvious, blatant racists are never called racist by the powers that be if they are the politically correct color.

23 posted on 3/11/2018, 4:59:03 AM by marktwain (President Trump and his supporters are the Resistance. His opponents are the Reactionaries.)

bold Said by a freeper, what a tool
italic They're just branded "fine people" by republican president DJT while everyone else called them racists assholes

Plinkey posted:

Now another thread about confederate statues....because this still isn't over yet.

Former Confederate site rededicated to Harriet Tubman

Who the gently caress is rewriting history? What point does Lee have in loving Baltimore, for christ's sake
Go to a drat battlefield if you want to spank it to traitors

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 11, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Didn't you know the South won the Civil War but decided to outlaw slavery and submit themselves to the north for some reason?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The civil war wasn't about slavery, actually the south wanted to ban it just look at this quote from General Lee's letters, and Lincoln was the real slavery supporter just look at this out-of-context quote.

The civil war was about protecting our small family farms from the northerners who tried to take them, and we kept our farms so we won!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

why not do as Trump does, and bait traps for the name callers so they end up making fools of themselves repeatedly when the facts become known, and they lose all credibility.

Wait, when did this happen?

quote:

Robert Lee was an American soldier,

(for certain values of "American")

quote:

what does freep have against Tubman?

Nah, he means that the leftists will eventually get upset at Tubman because she was a Republican and a gun owner. Seriously no-poo poo some rightists are trying to reclaim her as a rightist hero.

I really don't know how you square "the South did nothing wrong" with "Tubman did the right thing by stealing slaves", but I think it's because on some level they know slavery is wrong, so they can lionize her so long as it doesn't lead to any deeper examination as to exactly who it was she was stealing slaves from.

Actually, I guess they square it by the same means that The South Was Right and yet Lincoln was the OG Republican and why don't these ungrateful blah people recognize the party that set them free?

quote:

Would you have rather been a slave on a Virginia tobacco farm in 1790 or a Yoruba on the run from maurading Ibo

While this is an interesting thought exercise, fundamentally this comes down to "He kicked you in your left nut, I kicked you in your right nut, why the hell are you angry at *me*? He's the one you should be mad at!"

EDIT: I feel that in this thread, more than any other I post in, I feel compelled to caveat things like "no poo poo, they seriously do" or "I am not at all exaggerating".

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

(for certain values of "American")

They're not wrong, he was a soldier, a good one. He was offered command of the Union armies when war broke out. Then he turned traitor because "Mah home is in Virginia, good sir!". If Johnston hadn't been wounded, he'd have bungled the army into a total defeat long before Lee ever became more than a footnote

quote:

Nah, he means that the leftists will eventually get upset at Tubman because she was a Republican and a gun owner. Seriously no-poo poo some rightists are trying to reclaim her as a rightist hero.

I really don't know how you square "the South did nothing wrong" with "Tubman did the right thing by stealing slaves", but I think it's because on some level they know slavery is wrong, so they can lionize her so long as it doesn't lead to any deeper examination as to exactly who it was she was stealing slaves from.

Actually, I guess they square it by the same means that The South Was Right and yet Lincoln was the OG Republican and why don't these ungrateful blah people recognize the party that set them free?

See, they want to have everything, conflictions be damned. Their party can never do wrong, ever. And for that to be right they need to ignore where it's wrong

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 12, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Study: Calif. Pot Industry Staying Illegal to Escape State’s High Taxes, Onerous Regulations

While this is certainly an issue, legal stores just opened in loving January, so even if it's bad news that less than 1% of CA grows are legal, it's not like if 100x more people had applied for grow licenses that the state has any ability to process those in a timely manner.

Anecdotally from the weed thread, packaged legal weed smuggled out of state is sufficiently more desirable than unlabeled illegally-grown weed that it's depressing the prices for the loose stuff. So while Oregon still has illegal grows, an increasing amout of its exports were originally legal and tax-paid.

Freep may have divided opinions on the ganja, but they are most united in their opinions on taxes and regulations.

quote:

Now the drug dealers are in trouble. The police may not care if you are dealing in drugs but they will go after you for evading taxes. Think Al Capone /s

2 posted on 3/11/2018, 12:02:05 PM by CIB-173RDABN (US out of the UN, UN out of the US)

Freepers occasionally have really interesting drug anecdotes. Significant to note that WA opened its first legal stores in July 2014, and over that time their illegal market is collapsing. So it's a little abrupt to say that won't happen in CA when they opened their first stores 14 weeks ago.

quote:

The illegal market here in Washington State is collapsing. People were using the medical prescription home grow laws to produce weed for illegal street sales. That market has all but dried up. Now their trying to ship it out of state to the Midwest and Texas because there are no local buyers and if you can find one, the price is pennies on the dollar compared to 3 years ago.

3 posted on 3/11/2018, 12:05:16 PM by shotgun

On the consumer end, the laws are going to be consistent throughout the entire state of CA, and you can just google up the law. Laws for sales and zoning vary by county, but if you're looking to open a store in a county it's not a bridge too far to expect you'll look into the county-level regulations first.

quote:

This era new rules is going to confuse a whole lot of people.
Many will want it all quickly boiled down; Is it legal to possess/use/sell or is it NOT LEGAL to possess/use/sell?
Will this vary by county, by potency, by end use?

I wonder if alcohol also went through a similarly murky Hall of Mirrors time after prohibition was “officially” ended?
Of course, Moonshine is still illegal to this day, because the safety has not been regulated or proven.

4 posted on 3/11/2018, 12:06:00 PM by lee martell

(Ignores the several states drawing significant tax income from weed, focuses on the one who just started in January)

quote:

This story is crazy! I thought the state was supposed to make a ton of money in tax revenue off of this! Now we just have a bunch of criminals attracted to those rural areas.

6 posted on 3/11/2018, 12:08:58 PM by Dr. Pritchett

The repeal of Prohibition kicked off the *real* war on booze?

quote:

You think there’s a “War on Drugs” now, just wait until they’re legal and taxable.

7 posted on 3/11/2018, 12:09:22 PM by dfwgator

I dunno mang. Hiding in the woods with guns to avoid government oversight and taxes? That's sounds very familiar...

quote:

Liberals hiding from liberals. California should change its name to “The Comedy Club.”

9 posted on 3/11/2018, 12:11:34 PM by DPMD

How come this battleship doesn't turn corners as fast as my Miata?

quote:

That was always the flaw in the argument that making it legal (and taxable) would dry up the illegal market. Why pay the tax? The black market for marijuana is sooo firmly established that it’s not necessarily going to go away.

14 posted on 3/11/2018, 12:22:10 PM by ichabod1 (I'm tired of living in the kinder gentler soviet union.)

Colorado lets you grow six plants per adult, max 12 per adult. That said, yes Colorado still has a substantial black market, but I'm pretty sure the average black market producer in CO has more than 6 plants.

There is a goon in the weed thread who's in Maine, where now you can grow it and gift it but not buy or sell it, who is only a light toker but plans to grow the max amount just for kicks and just gift it to adult friends constantly. Like the person at the office who grows too much zucchini and just gives it away to coworkers.

quote:

The CA growers are smart enough to know where their bread is buttered.

But, with the provision that every adult can grow six plants of their own, keep the proceeds...even gift it one ounce at a time...ensure there will be NO POT INDUSTRY in 3 years.

It doesn’t take long for people to figure this out.

18 posted on 3/11/2018, 12:30:38 PM by Mariner (War Criminal #18)

Still enjoying the Freepers who are oddly well-informed about the weed market.

quote:

Pretty cheap in Oregon. Plus, the edibles and concentrate market. Some folks find it convenient to buy butane hash oil, rather than risk blowing up their house.

37 posted on 3/11/2018, 3:12:20 PM by gundog (Hail to the Chief, bitches.)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Now the drug dealers are in trouble. The police may not care if you are dealing in drugs but they will go after you for evading taxes. Think Al Capone /s

2 posted on 3/11/2018, 12:02:05 PM by CIB-173RDABN (US out of the UN, UN out of the US)

Yeah, if they do something as bad as a st Valentine's Day Massacre that turns public opinion way against them while actively murdering cops, then maybe.
The only reason the feds went after his taxes was they couldn't pin him for anything else

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Why Democrats Would Lose the Second Civil War, Too

*unzips*

quote:

To: Kaslin; Liz; marktwain
Let’s talk terrain and numbers. Remember the famous red v. blue voting map? There is a lot of red, and in the interior the few blue splotches are all cities like Las Vegas or Denver. That is a lot of territory for a counter-insurgent force to control, and this is critical. The red is where the food is grown, the oil pumped, and through which everything is transported. And that red space is filled with millions of American citizens with small arms, a fairly large percentage of whom have military training.

Everything that keeps the country alive runs through red...

2 posted on 3/11/2018, 9:18:41 PM by GOPJ (Democrats want to get rid of ICE to 'protect' illegals & to Hell with Americans. - SunkenCiv)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Kaslin
It is so easy to shut down food, electricity, fuel and water to cities, the leftist crazies wouldn't stand a chance.
No need to bother shooting them when you can starve and freeze them out.

4 posted on 3/11/2018, 9:23:24 PM by Mogger

quote:

They don’t serve in the combat arms in the military if they serve at all...

They chop off their penises...

They dislike guns and do not have much background in them...

They really have no skills that lend themselves to anything outside a nice day outside Manhattan or DC...

They aren’t nice people and do not have the ability to cooperate with like minded friends...

They have never used 4x4 except possibly on a snowy road on the way to starbucks, and they sucked at it.

They don’t hunt, fish, or grow anything except pot...

They are the enemies of freedom and hate Jesus and our founders. Enemies of freedom ALWAYS lose. Nazis, Bolsheviks, Khmer Rouge, Jap militarists, Redcoats, Comanches, Klansmen, etc. Bad guys always lose in the end...always.

8 posted on 3/11/2018, 9:30:32 PM by DesertRhino (Dog is man's best friend, and moslems hate dogs. Add that up. ....)

quote:

Another factor.. The cities, once cut off from supplies, will destroy themselves from inside as the liberal underclass mobs start rioting. They have been bred and raised for one purpose, to vote democrat in elections. They have no other use, not even as canon fodder.

13 posted on 3/11/2018, 9:41:46 PM by ArtDodger

Georgia Peach fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 12, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

They are the enemies of freedom and hate Jesus and our founders. Enemies of freedom ALWAYS lose. Nazis, Bolsheviks, Khmer Rouge, Jap militarists, Redcoats, Comanches, Klansmen, etc. Bad guys always lose in the end...always.

Real Freepers aren't afraid to admit the US was the villain in the Vietnam War. They woke.

quote:

Let’s talk terrain and numbers. Remember the famous red v. blue voting map? There is a lot of red, and in the interior the few blue splotches are all cities like Las Vegas or Denver. That is a lot of territory for a counter-insurgent force to control, and this is critical. The red is where the food is grown, the oil pumped, and through which everything is transported. And that red space is filled with millions of American citizens with small arms, a fairly large percentage of whom have military training.

This is actually a pretty interesting thought exercise, and I'm all about insurgencies and whatnot.

I've been of the opinion that a successful US insurgency would almost definitely have to be an urban one, but here Freepers are calling for a rural-based insurgency. Iraq was almost entirely an urban insurgency, Afghanistan largely a rural one, so we do have two recent examples to look at.

That said, tribal Pashtuns are *way* more prepared to be cut off from modern industrial products than any Freeper. They are correct that oil is pumped in mostly rural areas, and crops are grown in mostly rural areas, but they *aren't the same areas*. Once the oil areas and the food areas are separated, the pumpers are going to be trying to eat oil and the farmers are going to be plowing medieval style. You could conceivably load up oil in trucks and take it to the farms, and vice versa, but you can't fuel tractors with raw oil, and refineries tend to be closer to cities. Plus you could commit suicide by trying to run your oil rigs up I-35 while it's being patrolled by Federal Bradleys and overwatched by drones, or better yet rheostat blimps with a thousand eyes that stay on-station for months. Or you could move all your products onesie-twosie in pickup trucks through the tiniest backroads, Ho Chi Minh Trail style.

Also, the vast majority of farms today aren't an "all-in-one"; even if the farm is somehow able to operate independently without any city products (or maybe intensive smuggling of city products), you're gonna have a whoooooole lot of people in the Red Zones with nothing to eat but corn for fifty miles in either direction, or only soybeans, or have a chicken battery but no vegetables.

And with cities closed off, in short order the Red Zones are going to run out of refined fuel, tires, car parts, etc. so I hope they're totally fine conducting this insurgency on bicycles and horses.

And once the Red Zones start running out of food, a significant chunk of rural people who maybe semi-supported the revolt but not enough to pick up a gun, are going to start getting cranky, and you're going to hear a lot of "thanks assholes, we don't have gay marriage anymore but we *also* don't have medical supplies, gasoline, or new shoes or clothes. Exactly what is the desired end-state here?" Then, especially once the Federal Military continues to gain control of the major roads, the locals that a guerrilla depends upon are going to start getting antsy, and willing to narc on that one dude in town who runs an IED cell, in exchange for a styrofoam cooler of dry ice and insulin for the wife.

I know I beat this drum a lot, but if the US were to have an actual effective insurgency it would look a lot more like Belfast than the jungles of 'Nam. With a relatively small number of riflemen and bomb-makers and placers, and a decent-sized number of people unwilling to fight but willing to be lookouts, let you store boxes of "stuff" in their garage, loan you a car, etc. you can cause a whole lot of expensive inconvenience that just drags on and on. The IRA never really seized ground (outside of maybe South Armagh, sort of), but they could create a lot of places that were just too much of a pain in the rear end to get into, and destabilize daily life enough that they eventually forced a political solution.

Hey, what would the Freeper Sinn Féin be like?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 12, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Hey, what would the Freeper Sinn Féin be like?

Shin Splint

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

They would fight for the political goal of ... controlling all three branches of government?

Also, I guess the city people have never used guns except for the legions of urban ferals, but I guess they won't be able to organize. Except into well established gangs?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The largest farms and every oil refinery is owned by some faceless multinational conglomerate and if the dipshit crusade started raiding their semis you wouldn't even need to factor in the US military response as they'd probably start hiring their own private security goons that can easily outgun Flab Max with his AR-15 and pickup truck.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

quote:

To: marktwain
The North used a lot of immigrant soldiers to take down the South, and the Northern elite arranged things so they suffered relatively little.

I like Kurt, but he ignores the potential for outside militaries to intervene.

Do you think Obama or successors would have any compunction on calling for NATO or Chinese “peacekeepers” to pacify U.S. rural areas?

There would be lots of Mexicans willing to fill ranks in the U.S. Army and Marines, if it came to that, for generous benefits and a promise of a piece of rural America confiscated from conservative “rebels”.

You beat me to it. Schlicter ignores the effects of a probable outside intervention. The U.N. from the east, Chinese from the west, Russians from the north and Mexican narco-terrorist gangs from the south will pose an invasive force that may overwhelm the red-state advantage.

I would be especially wary of the Chinese. They could put millions of men on three fronts (Canada, California and Mexico) in short order. Baring the use of tactical nuclear weapons (which isn't going to happen) the communists could own the western half of the United States very quickly.
29 posted on 3/11/2018, 10:42:20 PM by akalinin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

quote:

To: akalinin
They could field at best maybe 5 million with outside forces. Maybe a few more million Chinese. We have about 80 million militia ready to go. Attrition for them would be a bitch. Most likely though: the war would be over very quickly with a siege on the cities. Focused attacks on the liberal elite. They couldn’t surrender fast enough.

33 posted on 3/11/2018, 11:09:05 PM by Revolutionary ("Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition!")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Georgia Peach posted:

They would fight for the political goal of ... controlling all three branches of government?

Also, I guess the city people have never used guns except for the legions of urban ferals, but I guess they won't be able to organize. Except into well established gangs?

Also 80.7% of Americans live in cities, 7% of all Americans are veterans of one branch or another. *scribbles on back of envelope* So even if rural Americans are 4x more likely to be combat-arms veterans than urban Americans, that would still leave Red Zones and Blue Zones with a roughly equivalent number of combat vets. I'm not saying combat vets, much less random vets like former Navy radar repairmen, are automatically amazing insurgents, but Freepers seem to think so.

Not that I plan to insurge, but I like to think I would be at least an okay insurgent since I've spent two years in counterinsurgency warzones, covered insurgencies for an additional five years, and was Marine in a combat-arms MOS (albeit Artillery, but all Marines, especially officers, get more infantry training than any non-grunt in any other branch of the military).

quote:

They don’t serve in the combat arms in the military if they serve at all...
They dislike guns and do not have much background in them...
They aren’t nice people and do not have the ability to cooperate with like minded friends...

They have never used 4x4 except possibly on a snowy road on the way to starbucks, and they sucked at it.

I really fail to see the utility of the 4x4 given that basically every goddam thing in America worth seizing is in immediate proximity to a good paved road. We put the loving Romans to shame the way we lay concrete everywhere.

And as above, unless rural folks are four+ times more likely to have been in combat arms, they wouldn't have any numerical advantage of vets (for what that's even worth).

Rural people probably do have more small arms in their houses than urban people, on the average, but cities are going to have gunshops, warehouses with guns, massive police departments with amories, etc. Chicago PD by itself is basically an infantry regiment.

*scribbles on back of envelope*

Okay, 11,000 cops in Chicago PD, let's assume they all get ahold of a rifle, or shotgun for storming buildings, and set them loose on Red Illinois. Illinois has 12 million people, 1.5 million living in rural areas. We take the 3% rule of thumb just for kicks, so that's 45,000 fighters in rural Illinois, but they're spread out across the entire state, so at any given place. The closest officially rural county to Chicago would be La Salle, which at 3% would have about 3,500 fighters.

I feel I've gone way, way, deep into the weeds here. This is fun but I'm not sure how enlightening it is...

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I feel like this needs to be a super grognard table-top game if it isn't already.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

We have about 80 million militia ready to go. Attrition for them would be a bitch.

How the gently caress is he counting? The entire rural population of the United States, from babies to geriatrics, is 60 million. There is no loving way that more than a quarter of them are fighting age and healthy enough to fight.

3% of Americans fought on the Revolutionary side in the War of Independence, so if a quarter of rural people are eligible to fight, and 3% do, that's 450,000 fighters from Florida to Alaska, covering 3.8 million square miles of turf that's mostly Red (though clearly most of it isn't strategically or tactically significant other than having to drive through it).

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
This whole shebang is assuming no outside help for either side, though I'm pretty drat sure the sovereign government of the US, notable NATO member, would be able to rustle up extensive military support from Canada, the *actual military* of Mexico, and probably a chunk of NATO. Plus pretty much most of the planet would still be selling supplies to the coastal cities. And even in some weird scenario where Russia decides to step in to help the Red Zones, it's not like they can just roll container ships up to non-city areas of the coast without getting torpedoed, and/or losing all plausible deniability for fueling a civil war (not that such tends to stop Russia).

I will just briefly address the suggestion that significant portions of the US military will defect to the rebels: LOL-loving-L.

At absolute best, you're going to get random scatterings of low-ranking troops, who probably haven't even managed to steal a rifle and need to borrow a 30-30. Even if Colonel Crazy decides to take his whole unit over to the Rebels, at the first whiff of mutiny the base commander is going to have MPs chucking thermite grenades into tank engines to render them useless to mutineers, putting his most loyal troops guarding all the armories, and calling for air support.

And even if the entire facility of Marine Corps Base 29 Palms decides to mutiny as one and join the rebels, they would be completely severed from the absurdly massive and complex logistical system required to keep them going for more than a day or two. Plus you're asking all your enlisted troops, many of whom have families, to say gently caress-you to the whole "getting paid on the first and fifteenth" thing and start subsisting on donated tomatoes from Ma Kettle's garden. At which point a large chunk of your mutineers would just start raiding rural communities for fuel and food, which isn't exactly helping the Red Zone.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Georgia Peach posted:

I feel like this needs to be a super grognard table-top game if it isn't already.

I'd love to see this as a HoI-style grand strategy game, if anything, Sounds way cool.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Georgia Peach posted:

Have I bored the gently caress out of everyone, or does anyone have lingering questions before I shut up about insurgency and get back to posting freepage?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Georgia Peach posted:

To: Kaslin; Liz; marktwain

Everything that keeps the country alive runs through red...

2 posted on 3/11/2018, 9:18:41 PM by GOPJ (Democrats want to get rid of ICE to 'protect' illegals & to Hell with Americans. - SunkenCiv)

If numbers are the deciding factor, don't forget more than half of the pop swing Dem. Your electoral "Red is everywhere" means diddly squat

Georgia Peach posted:

I'd like to have a Rascal brigade just for shits and giggles

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 12, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Of course the rascal brigade doesn't get that the blue buys the stuff grown in the red to actually turn it into food.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Know what? Bring it. I'd love to see a million idiots on rascals try to take on the city folk.

What s that? Freepers aren't even fighting the war in their hypothetical?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Know what? Bring it. I'd love to see a million idiots on rascals try to take on the city folk.

What s that? Freepers aren't even fighting the war in their hypothetical?

Bone spurs acting up something fierce.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bone spurs acting up something fierce.

What's that old thread title? The revolution will be declared a false flag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Freep: Django Unchained revenge squads

quote:

The New Confederacy will consist of California, Illinois, and Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Maryland. And they will try very hard, perhaps with Chinese assistance, to have Hawaii and the naval facilities at Pearl Harbor.

They will not present a cause for war, as did South Carolina in 1861.

They will strangle transoceanic trade with the control of San Diego, San Pedro, Long Beach, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Boston, and Baltimore. They will disrupt transcontinental railroad traffic. And it is they, not us, who will put stealthy guerrillas into the field raiding farms in the midwest, the Pacific Northwest, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Northern New England. Their Django Unchained revenge squads will be all over until they are wiped out.

All the CW II chatter here presumes an active guerrilla army (us) against a standing army (them). It’s much more likely that the Poz Confederacy will be fielding the guerrillas against an American military which will be immobilized by the political crisis that sets all this off, and they with control of all our important ports and railheads.

It is not going to be pretty.

None of this will happen if the California crisis can be resolved politically. But this is now unlikely, in my opinion.

57 posted on 3/12/2018, 3:10:37 AM by Jim Noble (Single payer is coming. Which kind do you like?)