Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

redeyes posted:

Blon BL-03

Try taking off the nozzle filters with a pin. It's completely reversible as the filters have a pretty thick backing.

MarcusSA posted:

These look great but every review mentions that the tips suck lol.

The older, black tips suck. The newer, translucent grey tips are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

These look great but every review mentions that the tips suck lol.

I've never tried Blon BL-03 but any tip you don't like can be solved by comply foam.

I swear I have no affiliation with them! But they've made IEMs very comfortable for me and the wax guard ones solve sibilance very well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I've never tried Blon BL-03 but any tip you don't like can be solved by comply foam.

I swear I have no affiliation with them! But they've made IEMs very comfortable for me and the wax guard ones solve sibilance very well.

Oh I agree! I love them! They just add a bit to the cost is all. It seems like I’m always ordering a new pack each time I get some IEMs.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

grack posted:

The older, black tips suck. The newer, translucent grey tips are good.

Oh poo poo, I wondered why the tips got so much hate. I just got mine this week and the cable IS TERRIBLE, I have several replacements so no biggie, but I'm using the stock tips and they're totally fine.

Also, these legit are loving shockingly good. I have Ikko OH-10 and Moondrop KXXS, these aren't quite to either of those but loving CLOSE and much much cheaper. These are like my number one IEM req for the time being, unless you WANT to spend a ton of money.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My current headset just died which means it is time once more to go on my quest for the perfect headset. I've never found a pair with this combination of features even at high-end prices I used to be willing to pay

In descending order of importance
-Supraural
-Boom Mic
-Good sound
-Strong noise isolation
-USB connection to computer
-Wireless
-with charging cradle

That last one is usually the sticking point, but virtually every headset collection I browse, I can only find 5 or 6/7 hits and have to make do.
What's my best bet here?

edit: My budget is unfortunately no longer high end, I gotta keep it sub $50bux (but I can splurge on/lust after higher price points if they exist/deserve it)

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 23, 2019

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking into a compact USB DAC/headphone amp to keep in my laptop bag. The built in 3.5mm output on the laptop is kind of OK, but plugging my FiiO E10 in is noticeably better for music. I've stumbled across the DragonFly series, and I'm wondering if there's any others that are similarly compact that I should look at. I'd probably be satisfied with the entry level DragonFly Black model. I'll be using either HD598s, VE Monk buds, or those Blon BL-03s that I impulse bought last night. :v:

How is the volume control handled with these tiny stick style DACs? Is it tied to Window's volume controls?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm looking into a compact USB DAC/headphone amp to keep in my laptop bag. The built in 3.5mm output on the laptop is kind of OK, but plugging my FiiO E10 in is noticeably better for music. I've stumbled across the DragonFly series, and I'm wondering if there's any others that are similarly compact that I should look at. I'd probably be satisfied with the entry level DragonFly Black model. I'll be using either HD598s, VE Monk buds, or those Blon BL-03s that I impulse bought last night. :v:

How is the volume control handled with these tiny stick style DACs? Is it tied to Window's volume controls?

The Monoprice Monolith stick is much better than the low-end Dragonfly and usually under $100, I have one I use some. I'd honestly recommend the Earstudio ES-100 though. It's a bluetooth AND USB DAC/amp and the same price. It supports balanced output even. I loving love it. Using it with my Blon BL-03 right now!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think the 770 is still the king of passive isolation. Before most of them switched to IEMS, every working drummer I knew owned a pair.

I've been looking for some on-the-go/commute closed back circumaurals. I was looking at the DT 770 Pro, but folks have said that the passive isolation isn't great. My current cans for this are Sennheiser HD 569s, which I love and are comfy but don't quite fit great over my shop glasses or isolate as well as I need them to. I could go to IEMs, but all my past experiences with in-ear stuff icked me out a little.

Budget: Ideally under $250, maybe to $275

Source: Fiio BTR3 or 5.

I've found these guys:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 or 250 Ohm? Irreplaceable cable is a bit of a bummer)
AKG K553 Mk II (Love my 7XXs)
Fostex T40RP
Meze 99 Neo
Shure SRH840
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b

I've had Audio-Technica cans in the past and currently have AKGs as my desktop cans, so I'm willing to branch out and try new brands.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
These are waaaay under your budget but i have been using the Status Audio CB-1s for work stuff and I love them, especially since they are cheap enough that if I bust them up I don't mind as much. I'm not sure if the isolation is good enough for your needs though, and they are clearly not on the level of $250 cans.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

I've been looking for some on-the-go/commute closed back circumaurals. I was looking at the DT 770 Pro, but folks have said that the passive isolation isn't great. My current cans for this are Sennheiser HD 569s, which I love and are comfy but don't quite fit great over my shop glasses or isolate as well as I need them to. I could go to IEMs, but all my past experiences with in-ear stuff icked me out a little.

I've found these guys:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 or 250 Ohm? Irreplaceable cable is a bit of a bummer)
Fostex T40RP
Meze 99 Neo
Shure SRH840
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b

I've had Audio-Technica cans in the past and currently have AKGs as my desktop cans, so I'm willing to branch out and try new brands.

I'd look at the new AKG K371, the reviews that are out there are very positive. If you're going mobile I'd forget the T40rp and the 250ohm 770, they'll need too much juice. MSR7 sounds good and is well built but is bright and a bit overpriced imo. The Shures are comfy with great pads but are boring as poo poo. I'd say the Meze are probably the most pleasing of the whole group, but I wouldn't call them portable.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

NewFatMike posted:

I've found these guys:

Fostex T40RP
Meze 99 Neo
Shure SRH840
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b

DT770 have about the best passive isolation you can get beyond some IEM. That being said, I GREATLY prefer the Meze 99, and you can get the Noir (the classic but in a dark color way) from Massdrop for the same price as the Neo, IDK if they sound much different but they look cooler and have dark wood cups. They nice cans.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'd say the Meze are probably the most pleasing of the whole group, but I wouldn't call them portable.

Hey they have a (huge) case! Lol I carry mine in my bag, but they do use up a lot of loving space.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

ddogflex posted:

The Monoprice Monolith stick is much better than the low-end Dragonfly and usually under $100, I have one I use some. I'd honestly recommend the Earstudio ES-100 though. It's a bluetooth AND USB DAC/amp and the same price. It supports balanced output even. I loving love it. Using it with my Blon BL-03 right now!

I was about half way through a reply suggesting the ES100 for the same reasons, so I'll just add my +1. Not sure if it's up to the task for power hungry full sized headphones though, as I only really use IEMs and earbuds with my ES100.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'll check out the ES-100, thanks for the recommendations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

trem_two posted:

I was about half way through a reply suggesting the ES100 for the same reasons, so I'll just add my +1. Not sure if it's up to the task for power hungry full sized headphones though, as I only really use IEMs and earbuds with my ES100.

It's not IDEAL for my LCD2C, but it still sounds great and I go nowhere near full volume, just maybe less "full" than my desktop amp. It's more than adequate for like Meze 99, DT770 80ohm, MDRA-1, HD58X, or whatever not absurdly power-hungry cans. Those are ones I use/have used on it tho.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Been wanting to get some bluetooth headphones for a minute and i'm leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 4.5 unless there's something seriously busted about them. I like the way they look, would like to have noise cancellation for travel and like that I can also use a traditional audio jack with them for my none bluetooth devices that i still regularly use while travelling. I saw the 4.4s are quite a bit cheaper and maybe don't have noise cancellation? How much of an improvement is that?

I mostly will be using them on my daily commute of about ten minutes walking and fifteen minutes on the bus to and from work, usually listening to podcasts or pop/rock/rap music on spotify. I'd also use them with a wired connection with my switch and portable synthesizers while travelling. I have a pair of HD 6XXs that I use at home and really like, also. I'm not looking to spend anything over $150.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trip report on the DT-770: It's good.

My current scale of all the headphones I heard:

ATH AD900X >= ATH AD900 >> Beter DT-770 >= Denon AH-D5000 >= Sennheiser HD 650 > Hifiman HE-400 > HD 280 Amped > Koss PortaPro >> HD 280 Unamped >= Koss KSC75 > Sennheiser P2

There are a few in-ears from Sony that my SO owned and I tested that are very good but I don't know their names by heart.

The Hifiman HE-400 takes first place for a few select songs where the production seems to perfectly match its electrostatic peculiarities. In particular I think the biggest "oomph" that any headphone any produced for me was listening Get Lucky with the HE-400.
The Sennheiser has the biggest soundstage of all of these headphones by a huge margin. It's also very light. It's the only set that gave me the illusion of listening to speakers.
The unamped HD 280 is very underwhelming to me, however it also scaled incredibly well with an amplifier, more so than any other pair of cans. While for most other sets I use an amp just to get their volume to a proper level, the HD 280 worked just fine, but the sound signature changed radically.
I read the KSC75 had the same drivers as the PortaPro but they didn't sound the same to me even as I owned both at once.

I think I just don't like the Sennheiser sound very much, none of them blew my mind. The HD 650's soundstage was a surreal experience but I didn't love the sound signature. If I had to wear them for the rest of my life I'd be more than happy, but I think I prefer very forward headphones.

The AD900X is still my favorite set.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In case anyone cares apparently the Blon BL03 is going to have a revision or new model with a longer nozzle and minor tuning tweaks. Not sure the time frame unfortunately.

I'm selling all my stuff except my highest end iems. The Blon kills all of them handily.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

redeyes posted:

In case anyone cares apparently the Blon BL03 is going to have a revision or new model with a longer nozzle and minor tuning tweaks. Not sure the time frame unfortunately.

I'm selling all my stuff except my highest end iems. The Blon kills all of them handily.

Ok a longer nozzle would be dope. I can really only get a perfect seal walking around if I use foams (using Ikko foam), otherwise they kinda work their way out of my ear every few minutes because the drat stem is so short. I really don't know what tuning tweaks it would need tho?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ddogflex posted:

Ok a longer nozzle would be dope. I can really only get a perfect seal walking around if I use foams (using Ikko foam), otherwise they kinda work their way out of my ear every few minutes because the drat stem is so short. I really don't know what tuning tweaks it would need tho?

Yeah I dont want tuning tweaks at all, just a longer stem. Hopefully its nothing major. As far as tips that work try this:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oddly enough, the BLONs just kinda... work for me. The tips seal up fine, even the smallest set, and the cable sits the IEMs perfectly in my ear. It's very odd, given that literally every review I've read says the opposite.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I thought my fit issue with the stock Blon cable was the fact that the connector is at an angle. But after seeing some people talk about it on headfi, I figured out that my problem was with the plastic ear guides/hooks, which made the shells want to come out of my ears. I put the cable from my NiceHCK NX7 on the Blon (angled connector but no pre-formed guides) and it actually is a more stable fit than the straight connector cable that I had been using since I got it.

I just ordered one of the NX7 upgrade cables, which is actually about the same price as the Blon itself lol, just because it'll look/feel nice and the 2 pin connector will sit flush with the shell.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'll agree with most of the other comments on the BLON's. They sound good and definitely have a lot more bass than the tin t2. I trimmed the clear plastic ear hook thing off the cable with some snips and it resolved all of my fit/seal issues, because the cable is no long tugging them out of my ears.

Anyone know where I can get a super-short cable for these that's just long enough to reach a bluetooth receiver clipped to my collar or shirt pocket? I think I might have to DIY it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Realtalk, though - the BLONs aren't even the best metal body, v-shaped, single dynamic driver headphones with a stupid cable that I've bought for $30.

grack fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 25, 2019

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Tried out the "AKG tuned" buds that came with my Samsung S8 I bought almost a year ago. They bad.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I had to try few different tips but now that the seal is good, Tin T2's are really good for the price. The sound is neutral-ish but not too thin.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evobatman posted:

Tried out the "AKG tuned" buds that came with my Samsung S8 I bought almost a year ago. They bad.

They're the best OEM earphones I've heard, vastly improved on the old white ones Samsung used to give you, far ahead of the ones I got with my Motorolas, and clearly superior to the SoundMagic E10s. The only downside is that the fit is a little bit tricky, which will kill the lowend if you don't have them in right.

Bass goes really deep without feeling boosted, high end is nice and clear. I get much less fatigue (both pressure- and sound-wise) than any of the others.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Realtalk, though - the BLONs aren't even the best metal body, v-shaped, single dynamic driver headphones with a stupid cable that I've bought for $30.

I would call them more balanced than V shaped but whats the best then!?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

redeyes posted:

I would call them more balanced than V shaped but whats the best then!?

The BLONs are pretty v-shaped. They're basically Harman-tuned with a 2-3db off in the treble.

The set I'm talking about is my Beyerdynamic IDX 200s that I got on clearance, but that may be an unfair comparison.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

grack posted:

The BLONs are pretty v-shaped. They're basically Harman-tuned with a 2-3db off in the treble.

The set I'm talking about is my Beyerdynamic IDX 200s that I got on clearance, but that may be an unfair comparison.

Harman is not V... What?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ddogflex posted:

Harman is not V... What?

This is the Harman IEM target

This is the BLON's measured response

The BLONs have a more gentle rise in bass, but I would call a 10db rise in both bass and treble pretty v-shaped, especially coming from a diffuse-field target.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Actually that isn't correct. The human outer ear itself amplifies the area between 1000-5000hz. When you remove that factor you need an amount of gain in that area. In other words, that area is far more flat than the graph suggests.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

RichterIX posted:

These are waaaay under your budget but i have been using the Status Audio CB-1s for work stuff and I love them, especially since they are cheap enough that if I bust them up I don't mind as much. I'm not sure if the isolation is good enough for your needs though, and they are clearly not on the level of $250 cans.

I wicked appreciate the thoughtfulness at any rate!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'd look at the new AKG K371, the reviews that are out there are very positive. If you're going mobile I'd forget the T40rp and the 250ohm 770, they'll need too much juice. MSR7 sounds good and is well built but is bright and a bit overpriced imo. The Shures are comfy with great pads but are boring as poo poo. I'd say the Meze are probably the most pleasing of the whole group, but I wouldn't call them portable.

The BTR3/5 shouldn't have any problems pushing most of that, right? I'll definitely look closer into the output ranges.

I think "portable" for me counts as not the elastic suspension and maybe foldable. I already carry like a 30lb backpack every day so ehhh.

Strong vote for the Meze, thank you!

ddogflex posted:

DT770 have about the best passive isolation you can get beyond some IEM. That being said, I GREATLY prefer the Meze 99, and you can get the Noir (the classic but in a dark color way) from Massdrop for the same price as the Neo, IDK if they sound much different but they look cooler and have dark wood cups. They nice cans.

Hey they have a (huge) case! Lol I carry mine in my bag, but they do use up a lot of loving space.

Two strong votes for the Meze, I think I'm down to clown!

E: I'll super have to check the durability on that headband

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 26, 2019

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Did Sony fix the cold weather problems of their WH-1000XM3 through a software update or anything yet? I've bought a separate winter headset for cheapo, but now the cold weather's coming back and I kind of want that warm comfy over-ear

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ilifinicus posted:

Did Sony fix the cold weather problems of their WH-1000XM3 through a software update or anything yet? I've bought a separate winter headset for cheapo, but now the cold weather's coming back and I kind of want that warm comfy over-ear

Sounds like a warranty issue to be honest.

quote:

Greetings!

Apologies, it was some days these past few.

I encounter no issues on a -5 to 0 degree Celsius on 2 days of waking outside for 10-20 mins each. Also the new pair also have no issues on mic (my previous had Echo issue on calls).

So far, i don't have all the cold temps issues I had on my old unit. Seems to me that Sony fixed this on New revisions.
https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/portable-audio/sony-wh-1000xm3-muting-in-the-cold/td-p/2534059/page/23

YMMV. I just googled this a second ago.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

That's not cold weather, that's OK weather. I'm talking down in the -25Cs, that's when they were really freaking the gently caress out

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ilifinicus posted:

That's not cold weather, that's OK weather. I'm talking down in the -25Cs, that's when they were really freaking the gently caress out

Pretty much anything with a lithium battery will start freaking out at that temp, especially if it's on your head in the wind. There's no software update for it, it's a physical limitation. You're gonna have to deal with a cable, sorry pal

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Wasn't the battery really, it was the touch sensor on the side getting activated from wind gusts hitting my head while out walking

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Belief
LetMusicBurn
Oppoty
NeverGiveUp

These are extremely enjoyable. My headphone collection numbers in the single digits, but these are the first wired IEMs I've had since I gave my Klipsch X10s to my wife a year or so ago. After some trimming of the left ear cable's stress relief and ear hook, I'm getting a good seal with some of the stock tips. My biggest complaint is that they are really highlighting the limits of some of the lesser encodes that I've got.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
I'm interested in getting a set of in-ear headphones, however I'm hesitant because I seem to have issues with ear wax. Every time I use earplugs they come out covered with wax, and even my earpods that came with my iphone eventually stopped working from what i think was issues with wax. Is this normal and people just clean them all the time or is there something wrong with my ears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
It's been a couple years since they came out so does anyone have any experience / opinion with the Fostex TR-70/80/90 line?
I don't really need another pair of Dynamics but I don't really need another pair of planars either.