Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dumbest poo poo I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcEBxLC-kY

Bro, don't try to change a head gasket in a parking lot :wtc:

The comments are amazing, "It's so awesome he knew how to do this" if the kid knew anything he'd call loving AAA instead of trying to do this poo poo in a parking lot with a hot engine.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orange juche posted:

Dumbest poo poo I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcEBxLC-kY

Bro, don't try to change a head gasket in a parking lot :wtc:

The comments are amazing, "It's so awesome he knew how to do this" if the kid knew anything he'd call loving AAA instead of trying to do this poo poo in a parking lot with a hot engine.

With the engine still steaming :catstare:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

With the engine still steaming :catstare:

Like lmao dude you are doing massive damage to your engine loving with it with a hot block, if your head wasn't warped from massive coolant loss and subsequent overheating, it sure as gently caress is now with you trying to pull the head off while the engine is several hundred degrees.

Points for "confidence" but I've seen the same attitude out of my little brother and he has ruined the engines in 2 cars and a motorcycle (all three were his) with his "Oh yeah I can fix that"

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 8, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

We all know that one person that insists on doing their own work, and think they're some crafty mechanic

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Working on cars isn't some eldritch lost art, but you can't just go trying to work on a car without knowing what the hell you are doing or at least understanding when you are out of your depth. Doing that is how you wind up with a bunch of broke poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orange juche posted:

Like lmao dude you are doing massive damage to your engine loving with it with a hot block, if your head wasn't warped from massive coolant loss and subsequent overheating, it sure as gently caress is now with you trying to pull the head off while the engine is several hundred degrees.

Points for "confidence" but I've seen the same attitude out of my little brother and he has ruined the engines in 2 cars and a motorcycle (all three were his) with his "Oh yeah I can fix that"

Well that and the moment you loosen the head off the pressurised coolant is gonna go everywhere it can and make delicious milkshakes with your oil, but you're right, that's the least of his worries at that point.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

orange juche posted:

I feel like I know your little brother lol.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Replacing the heater core on almost every car ever built is going to be similar. A shop would do it for about 2k, probably. Dealer wanted close to 3k. I did it in a weekend for probably $700, with a higher end aluminum radiator.

80s GM, all I had to do was open the hood, take off the plastic cover where the wipers rest, remove the heater hoses, and lift the thing straight up. 30 minute job.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Want to laugh, but also feel like it might actually be needed in the grand scheme of things for many. The gently caress they learn in public school anyways? is it still this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5xkxTfVLSA

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

One of the most conservative institutions in our country is now teaching better sex ed than our public schools

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok so is it beneficial at all? I was always told to steer clear from any of those stop leak products. Have they just been fleecing all these suckers that do it once and learn the hard way

It's designed to plug up tiny passages like cracks. Which it does, acting kind of how blood platelets clog up a cut.

But these systems are FULL of tiny passages that you don't want plugged up. That's all a radiator is (and heater core). Stop Leak doesn't discriminate. Chrysler has been known to use this poo poo at the factory, which was one of the early theories about the radiator mud I (and thousands others) had. Current prevailing thought is that the factory or dealers were mixing OAT and HOAT coolant types, which precipitates tiny beads of silicate...sand.

Edit: I finally cut off that loving lower ball joint. It only took two of those "Diablo" sawzall blades, and grinding down two regular "thick metal" ones as expected. loving hardened steel, man. One more to go, but hopefully it doesn't have to be cut.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 8, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Here's another rad as gently caress YouTube channel. Dude has cerebral palsy and yet is still way more badass than your average dude, tearing down trees, building roads, 'n' other manly poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0h71bt8LbM

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Godholio posted:

It's designed to plug up tiny passages like cracks. Which it does, acting kind of how blood platelets clog up a cut.

But these systems are FULL of tiny passages that you don't want plugged up. That's all a radiator is (and heater core). Stop Leak doesn't discriminate. Chrysler has been known to use this poo poo at the factory, which was one of the early theories about the radiator mud I (and thousands others) had. Current prevailing thought is that the factory or dealers were mixing OAT and HOAT coolant types, which precipitates tiny beads of silicate...sand.

Edit: I finally cut off that loving lower ball joint. It only took two of those "Diablo" sawzall blades, and grinding down two regular "thick metal" ones as expected. loving hardened steel, man. One more to go, but hopefully it doesn't have to be cut.

For hardened steel you generally want to avoid anything with teeth. Basically cutting through abrasion (think a diamond wheel) makes things waaaaay easier.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Every time an Amazon shipment over here takes more than three days, I get annoyed and remember that the US is huge and logistics are a different issue than back home, where literally everything is there the next day via Prime if you order by noon/afternoon.

Ordered something on Monday morning, assume nothing happened until Wednesday because of the 4th, and the latest shipping update I have is yesterday, 7pm in Fayetteville, NC. GODDAMNIT, AMERICA, STOP BEING SO BIG

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Helps to be close to distribution centers. I can get same day delivery on a lot of stuff.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Helps to be close to distribution centers. I can get same day delivery on a lot of stuff.

Same. It also helps to live in a city and not where people hide dead bodies or whatever.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My stuff generally arrives on time. I think in the last two years and dozens of orders I've only had one that showed up late, and they sent me an email the day it was supposed to be delivered to let me know.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Amazon has been pretty good to me overall. There have only been a handful of orders that showed up late and one that didn't show at all. Obviously, Amazon refunded the no-show (third party seller). Curiously enough, it seems like only car parts and such show up late (or not at all). This is actually pretty loving irritating because if I'm desperate enough to overnight something it's probably because it's important and I need it right away to get the car back on the road. It's especially lovely because all of those late things were small parts like light bulbs, gaskets, injectors, etc. that should be easy (and cheap) to ship. If a company can "oh gently caress, we didn't ship on time!" a catback exhaust and still get it to my door by the original delivery date then there's no loving excuse for a teeny tiny part showing up days late when it was ordered with overnight shipping. Amazon really needs to reign in those lovely third party sellers, it's been getting pretty stupid the last couple years.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Amazon has been sincerely great at refunding me on lost packages or other problems. I'm sure that the customer service rep can see my purchase history and realize I'm putting Jeff Bezos' kids through college.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I'm 30 miles from one and probably 1/3 (maybe more) of my poo poo arrives 1-2 days late. And they charge tax. I'm really annoyed with Amazon. Never had a problem until I moved here.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

I'm 30 miles from one and probably 1/3 (maybe more) of my poo poo arrives 1-2 days late. And they charge tax. I'm really annoyed with Amazon. Never had a problem until I moved here.

cowboy elvis posted:

Same. It also helps to live in a city and not where people hide dead bodies or whatever.

:colbert:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Look don't blame me because some of you loving rear end backwards monkeys refuse to live with the rest of the population.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

"Rurals"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Go suck off a pig's turgid dick you farm scrubs

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
On the other end, a lot of 3rd party last-mile delivery companies are contracted by amazon to work in NYC because UPS and USPS are total poo poo outside of the gentrified areas. I saw deliveries go wrong every possible way when I lived on the 14th floor of a west Harlem highrise. Usually stuff just disappeared, occasionally the delivery guy would make up a lie like "knocked, nobody home" (when I camped out all day to catch the delivery) or "left on front doorstep" (there is no loving doorstep). As soon as I moved to a nice part of town all my problems disappeared. Pays to not be poor I guess. As with a lot of industries in New York, there's a lot of corruption/protectionism preventing otherwise national companies from mopping up the 8m+ customer base.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nothing really helps that much when your order has to go 2,400 miles through the US.

Also, I just learned that the speed limit for trucks in the US (varying by state) can be up to 80mph. What in the gently caress?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

"Pays not to be poor" should be the motto of the USA.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

cowboy elvis posted:

Look don't blame me because some of you loving rear end backwards monkeys refuse to live with the rest of the population.

I was talking poo poo to Godholio for living in a loving horrid dustball of a town.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I live in a peaceful small town (50,000 people approx, which I guess is big but I come from Tampa which has like two million people in and out during a weekday). I love it. Someone got killed here late last year. First homicide since 2013. People were freaking the gently caress out like it was about to be 80s horror movie levels of attrition and I was like "drat, three years? That's gotta be some type of record."

We do have a meth problem on the outskirts but I guess nothing is perfect.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Three people got shot to death within a 6 month period in a roughly 1/5 mile area at my last apartment.

Amazon Prime now can deliver me snacks and video games in an hour so it's a fine trade off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Nothing really helps that much when your order has to go 2,400 miles through the US.

Also, I just learned that the speed limit for trucks in the US (varying by state) can be up to 80mph. What in the gently caress?

There are vast swaths of this country that are empty. It's not a problem for the speed limit to be 80 when the last town you saw was 100 miles ago and the next one isn't for another 100.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Prime now: when you absolutely must have that dildo right the gently caress now

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Being close to a distribution center doesn't matter unless that distribution center has what you bought. A lot of amazon's warehouses are small item poo poo, but there's big item warehouses and clothing warehouses and though they can jam a lot of that poo poo into one place, they still split it up.

The company I work for sends poo poo to amazon warehouses, and it used to be easier, because everything would go to Dallas and broke down from there. Now it's five orders split over Texas, Cali, Washington, Virginia and another I can't remember. If an order comes through from marketplace on friday after 4pm, it's not leaving our warehouse until monday afternoon. It's probably the same for a lot of small companies because gently caress working weekends.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Speaking of Amazon Prime and dildos...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Amazon shipping blows my mind. Granted, I'm near a hub. I hate that they don't really let you combine packages anymore, though. I only like making a list then placing big orders, because otherwise you get poo poo from all over the place and this monstrous packages for small ticket items. I kinda feel bad shopping so much on amazon, and how poo poo they treat their workers, but drat they are really taking over

I don't think I've ever had an issue with any carrier or amazon, or stolen packages, one time they delivered to my neighbor on accident?

idk we like to complain about the US but I love the postal system, especially taking into account our size. Go send a package to Italy and see how that goes. Think it's kind of a luxury we take for granted idk yeah yeah it's a paid service 🤷🏽‍♀️

-edit gently caress yeah new avatar 🤓

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Amazon is not mistreating its employees. They hire through temp firms that are loving terrible. They also hire on directly, but it's generally easier to work for the temp firm first and get hired permanent after you show up consistently for three weeks.

People who bitch about working at amazon are soft fatties who've probably never worked in a warehouse before, or walked more than a handful of miles a day, or just have a lovely supervisor with a grudge. It's a lovely job, but a lot of them start a few bucks over minimum wage with no experience and all you have to do is follow directions on your scan gun.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Amazon is not mistreating its employees. They hire through temp firms that are loving terrible. They also hire on directly, but it's generally easier to work for the temp firm first and get hired permanent after you show up consistently for three weeks.

People who bitch about working at amazon are soft fatties who've probably never worked in a warehouse before, or walked more than a handful of miles a day, or just have a lovely supervisor with a grudge. It's a lovely job, but a lot of them start a few bucks over minimum wage with no experience and all you have to do is follow directions on your scan gun.

I've worked some lovely jobs, along with a good buddy of mine from school, and his anecdotes from the time he worked in an Amazon logistics center in Koblenz were a league beneath "lovely job".

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can only go off the six months I worked in a fulfillment center, but yes, it's a lovely job. If you work pick, you will walk at least ten miles a shift. If you work ship, you stand in one place most of the day. Pack-out would stock the bins Pickers pulled from. There were also inventory/QC people who buggied around computers and fixed bin problems and poo poo.

But, starting pay was at least $3.25 over minimum wage, another buck or so for nights. Much better than the other local warehouse offerings to ride a forklift for $8/hr. Holidays had a bonus program where they bank an extra dollar or two an hour per hour worked and cut that check to you after the holiday season runs its course. They gave out gift cards and would have contests, and they're frequent.

If you're in buttfuck nowhere and the job selections are $7.25/hr at walmart or $10.50/hr at amazon, you'd probably take the amazon job too. They also have pretty decent health insurance, especially compared to walmart.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

This was Germany, so I guess benefits are less of a draw than they are in the US. But yeah, 10 miles on average fits roughly what he had experienced, 11-12(?) our work shifts with one break, too. And the scan gun follows you into your dreams, which seems to be an in-joke among workers there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Break scheduling and stuff like that is because of state and federal labor laws. We got two 15 minute and a 30 minute lunch, pretty standard. I liked the four 10 hour day workweek too, so I could sit on my rear end three days.

Ten miles was my minimum. Most days were around 15 miles, my high was about 21 miles. When I worked the holiday rush, we weren't allowed to carry anything besides our wallets and keys, but they allowed pedometers a few months later.

I never got scan gun dreams because weed blocks all that out. I haven't had a dream (that I remember when I wake up) in years. I'd look more at that as just a reason to bitch for bitching. If you work in a steel stamping plant, you're probably going to dream about presses. Car dealerships probably give you nightmares if you work for Chrysler. It's just a poo poo job that's better than other poo poo jobs by comparison, if you're in remotely meh shape. If you're the size of three normal people combined, no. Not at all. Bad knees? Nope. Amputee? Nope. Overweight but not grotesquely? It's loving paid cardio.

• Locked thread