Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I completed the precursor chain for the first time ever and the system it led me to was inside enemy territory, has zero habitable planets, and 2 energy and 2 minerals. How does this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't know what the full chain is but there is a piece of it missing at some point which will prevent you from completing the quest anyway. In one game I got far enough in to turn my race of gorilla scientists in to a race of murder horses and then spent decades fixing their ethics since I couldn't finish the chain and 'fix' them properly. This should be fixed for 1.6 apparently.

Do you know what's missing though? I mean presumably it's this bit, but just out of curiosity.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Decrepus posted:

I completed the precursor chain for the first time ever and the system it led me to was inside enemy territory, has zero habitable planets, and 2 energy and 2 minerals. How does this happen.

Most (all?) of them have zero habitable worlds, it's the event completion reward and SOMETIMES the resources in system that are the major draw.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Taear posted:

Do you know what's missing though? I mean presumably it's this bit, but just out of curiosity.

Due to the way they weighted the last Horizon Signal technology that appears after you research the evil Energy Hub and Loop Institute, it currently won't appear in game, even if you've exhausted every other non-repeatable Physics research card.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I know right, sometimes Precursors are underwhelming. I wish there was some pop up or flavor text at the end. The only reason I knew I got a bunch of unity from finding Irassia was because I was specifically looking for it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
There is a fix in the workshop.

Theres also a bunch of other bugfixes in the workshop. fixes for precursors and war in heaven and the invasions and a bunch of quest chains.

The workshop is good.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Reveilled posted:

If years of stacking modifiers in paradox games for crazy outcomes have taught me anything, it's that Paradox have a deep-seated aversion to multiplicative percentages.
They're "correcting" that now (build speed, and now growth speed), but in a way that tends to make the bonus feel meaningless because its relative impact gets smaller and smaller the more you already have. Multiplicative modifiers would solve that problem, too.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

The AI that surveyed it first got a bonus for doing so lol

It really should just give you the bonus immediately when you finish the chain instead of whoever surveys the HW first. Either that or guarantee it's in your borders.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The mods and fixes from the workshop are a nice stopgap but don't really help anyone playing Ironman.

Both the Signal Horizon quest and Precursors quests are being fixed in the coming patch - Signal Horizon will have the missing tech returned and the Precursors are being changed so that only the person who finished the search is able to reap the rewards from the new system. Keep in mind that for now you don't need to be the first person to enter the system but you do need to be the first to scan the homeworld of whatever your precursor race was. That is what gives you the reward.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 5, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, aside from the outright bug fixes, a lot of the changes made sound pretty questionable.

If they really wanted to make unity a tall thing, they'd make the colony penalty multiplicative rather than additive.

I have thought for a while that they should make those penalties based on systems with inhabited worlds rather than inhabited planets (or habitats).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GunnerJ posted:

I have thought for a while that they should make those penalties based on systems with inhabited worlds rather than inhabited planets (or habitats).
Eh. That's a minor shift, mostly just rewarding those who luck out by finding multi-planet systems.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Sure wish the sector AI in my fanatical purifier empire would stop building xeno visitor centers all over the place.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mondian posted:

Sure wish the sector AI in my fanatical purifier empire would stop building xeno visitor centers all over the place.

Why go through the effort of conquering the galaxy so you can kill everything when you can just lure people to their death?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

If it worked like that I'd be all for it, but for some strange reason nobody ever comes to visit :iiam:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wiz why is a fix for governing ethics attraction being broken not in the next patch.

It's super annoying!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 5, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
There are a couple ethics attraction fixes in the patch. Who knows if they'll be enough, though?

quote:

* Increased the effect of promoting an ethic to +100% attraction
 * Fixed overflow bug causing ethic attraction to show wrong values 

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

There are a couple ethics attraction fixes in the patch. Who knows if they'll be enough, though?
By all appearances, governing ethics attraction itself doesn't work right now, at all. It's not really a "maybe this will help" situation.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 5, 2017

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
So how will Hive Minds work re: auto-consuming pops? Notes say we'll be able to choose not to... but how do we make that choice? Will we just be able to have pops live peacefully side by side with our hive?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Probably a policy you can toggle between "displace" and "snacks". Don't think you'll be able to have non-Hive pops live permanently in your empire, that kinda breaks the whole gimmick of not having to deal with happiness/factions.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Yadoppsi posted:

I know right, sometimes Precursors are underwhelming. I wish there was some pop up or flavor text at the end. The only reason I knew I got a bunch of unity from finding Irassia was because I was specifically looking for it.

There is a pop up and flavor text. Unless one of the AI beat you to it. Why that's even possible, I don't know.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
it's because the event triggers on discovering an anomaly and only one person can discover an anomaly

they're actually fixing this in 1.6, it'll trigger on survey instead

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Strudel Man posted:

By all appearances, governing ethics attraction itself doesn't work right now, at all. It's not really a "maybe this will help" situation.

In what way does it not work? It definitely seems to, the problem is just that the frequency at which pops can change their ethics is suuuper low.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

In what way does it not work? It definitely seems to, the problem is just that the frequency at which pops can change their ethics is suuuper low.

Yeah, I have to agree. In my longest running game currently (120+ years) I've seen some of my pops slowly changing to pacifist. Probably because I'm just peacefully integrating my neighbours instead of burning them with my laser cannons. But it definitely works, just really slowly!

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Too slowly. I tend to play most of my games super long and on the biggest map size and there's definitely a very noticable shift post-Utopia. I used to cycle particular problem pops to my Capital in the late-game for reeducation, but that's pointless now. They can sit on your homeworld for centuries with crushing governing ethics attraction and stubbornly refuse to change their mind.

e: Doesn't really matter though, dissidents are more easily dealt with in despotic empires now than they were before, I feel like.

This is the first time in forever I've decided to trust the Sector AI to build stuff without doing all that micro and queuing up builds before handing things off. How disappointing, regardless of what I tell sectors to focus on, they always seem to prioritize building planet uniques wherever possible before moving on to basic buildings to put employed pops to work. The most baffling part to me was how highly it prioritized buying expensive and often pointless spaceport upgrades and modules. Its like the one thing I can actually contribute manually to a sector colony, but it would rather spend its own money on that instead of putting pops to work. I know its just anecdotal, but I tried it out a few times in this game and each sector would run enormous mineral deficits for years at a time, blowing everything I gave it on uniques+spaceport bullshit while having dozens or hundreds of pops just sitting on their asses for decades. :wtc:

Mondian fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 5, 2017

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So modelling Republican voters then

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

1.6 will make this work a lot better. With the fanatic purifier trait.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So far this expansion has introduced the ability to:

1. Eat people you don't like.
2. Raise people specifically to be eaten.
3. Genetically modify people to be tasty and delicious.

And now we're getting a civic for people dedicated to eating every person in the galaxy. Why are they so many mechanics related to this one concept all of a sudden? :psyduck:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Eating other species is not a new sci-fi trope.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Jabarto posted:

And now we're getting a civic for people dedicated to eating every person in the galaxy. Why are they so many mechanics related to this one concept all of a sudden? :psyduck:

And eating Godzillas is an option now, too. :chef:

Who needs titanic soldiers when you can have titanic dinner?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

Higher governing ethics attraction doesn't actually make pops more likely to adopt your governing ethics. It's easy to see. Just flip between encourage free thought and information quarantine, hovering over a specific pop's ethics probabilities.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 5, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jabarto posted:

the latter two were easy to add once they solved the technical and design problems with the first

plus, it's cartoonish, which helps take the edge off the fact that one of the new headline features in Utopia is "now you get bonuses for being a space Nazi"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Jabarto posted:

To be fair one of the first things a player did in my friends' first multiplayer games was play a race of alien spiders which purged everyone and he justified it as eating them.

Now he can literally eat them. So it's not that weird that a big sci-fi trope of an all devouring alien race wasn't actually playable despite having spider and ferocious looking alien portraits.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

the latter two were easy to add once they solved the technical and design problems with the first

plus, it's cartoonish, which helps take the edge off the fact that one of the new headline features in Utopia is "now you get bonuses for being a space Nazi"
Nah, the new 'nasty' slavery and purge choices are all pretty severely suboptimal. Being a space social democrat is still the obvious way to go.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, the new 'nasty' slavery and purge choices are all pretty severely suboptimal. Being a space social democrat is still the obvious way to go.

agreed, but fanatical purifiers are still one of the headline features, and one of the new purge options is "work them to death in camps"

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 5, 2017

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

agreed, but fanatical purifiers are still one of the headline features, and one of the new purge options is "work them to death in camps"
And actually using it is a great way to cripple your energy, research, and unity income in exchange for rather trifling amounts of minerals and occasional revolts that flip a planet out of your control before any possibility of response.

The question is, is it bad design, or a clever message?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Strudel Man posted:

Paradox still making Sweden OP even in space. :sweden:

Well, or maybe not, considering immigration is broken and sucks balls.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

BenRGamer posted:

And eating Godzillas is an option now, too. :chef:

Who needs titanic soldiers when you can have titanic dinner?
Yeah, that option is crazy. I had the spiral building colony event fire on a titanic life planet - it's a bit of a breadbasket.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

And actually using it is a great way to cripple your energy, research, and unity income in exchange for rather trifling amounts of minerals and occasional revolts that flip a planet out of your control before any possibility of response.

The question is, is it bad design, or a clever message?

contrast these selling points: "hey, big new expansion coming up. now, you can..."

"...play space nazis"

"...play flying purple people eaters"

which of those sounds more appealing? the fact that space nazis (or people eaters) are super inefficient only makes them more appealing to a certain portion of paradox's audience. remember, they headlined "restore zoroastrianism centuries after its historic decline" as a feature in a CK2 expansion, and pushed playing as romania in the first big HOI4 DLC. some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
1.6 nerfs warp. I assume this is part of a plan to force everyone to play with wormholes before they're removed from the game, as they are now by far the best travel option.

Also, this was supposed to be a QoL patch. Where's my fleet templates, Wiz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Well, like others said. Also, this adds new options for enemy empires you want to create to fight against. If you ever wanted to fight the Omnivoracity yourself, now you can recreate them as your merciless enemies! (Or you could play as them, too. :v: )

This makes me hope that when other exotic options, like gas giant dwellers, crystalline species or robot-races are introduced, they will get a lot of interesting abilities, too.

• Locked thread