Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Deviant posted:

I'm so loving sick of jango decks.

I'm just so tired of all of these Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I think I might be in the market for some Vaders. If anyone wants to get some trades in, let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what it do. Trying to complete my fifth deck to gift to a sibling, and I think he's going all in on the current iteration of Vader (he sounded deeply unimpressed with the new one, even if I think he's neat).

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I can't wait to Cunning the poo poo out of whiny Hayden Christensen vader.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tried this out: friend of mine made me play his eVeers/eJango deck against his eQui/eRey. I can see what people are saying about eVeers/eJango: it's good and even someone on his first game like me could easily understand the strategy for the deck. Overall the game is pretty fun and incredibly simple. I'm still not going to get into it due to the collectible aspect of it though :(

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Played with a ePhasma/Bala-Tik/First Order Stormtrooper deck tonight and boy oh boy is Bala-Tik a good card. Phasma was cool, Commanding Presence was alright, but Bala-Tik was amazing. It was my first time playing with that card and after playing with him I think he might be one of the strongest cards in the game. I must have used his ability 2-3 times each game. I only ever had 1 upgrade on him, but I can't imagine how busted he gets with 2-3 upgrades. Here is the decklist if anyone is curious:

ePhasma
Bala-Tik
First Order Stormtrooper

Separatist Base

Holdout Blaster x2
IQA-11 Blaster Rifle x2
Commanding Presence x2
Jetpack x2
DH-17 Blaster Pistol x2
F-11D Rifle x2
Hunker Down x2

Backup Muscle x2

He Doesn't Like You x2
Electroshock x2
Tactical Mastery x2
The Best Defense...x2
Flank x2
Dug In x2
All In x1
Endless Ranks x1

Never used All In or Endless Ranks and feel like one Commanding Presence is probably fine. Electroshock is great and Flank is pretty good (I imagine it becomes really great against two character decks, but I only played a guy using 4 characters). I was skeptical about He Doesn't Like You, but it performed everytime I had it. Not sure about The Best Defense..., since I never used it and was never in a position where I wanted to take 3 damage. I think maybe Flank and Electroshock might be enough dice manipulation. I liked all the upgrades, but whenever I had IQA-11 Blaster Rifle I always chose to just stick with F-11D Rifle, so I might cut back to one IQA-11.

All in all, fun deck and it might be one I keep together for awhile. Bala-Tik is now one of my favorite characters and I imagine i'll try to stick with decks that play him for quite awhile. I honestly think that he might be just as good as Jango and Rey when it comes to power to cost ratio.

Edit: I'm actually interested in 2x Jabba the Hutt if anyone has any they want to get rid of. I have lots of stuff for trade, just let me know what you are looking for and I probably have it.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 10, 2017

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Alright here's a fun little thing. Today it busted out a turn 1 Lightsaber and a turn 2 One with the Force. I won that game taking one point of damage.

Three things:

1. It is undoubtedly on the jank-train to jank-station. Forgive me my trespasses.

2. Yes, there should be two Luke's Lightsabers in there. Have you got one to spare?

3. Force Protections will be replaced by either 2 Force Throws or 2 Mind Probes as soon as I get 2 of either.

eLuke/Rey

Frozen Wastes

The Force is Strong x2

It Binds All Things x2

Jedi Council x2

Defensive Stance x2

Jedi Robes x2

Willpower x2

Heroism x2

One With the Force x2

Lightsaber x2

Force Protection x2

Force Training x2

Force Misdirection x2

Riposte x2

Deflect x2

The Power of the Force x1

Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber x1

---------------------

The planning starts with the mulligan. So, uhh, if you get a double of any upgrade and The Force is Strong, keep that poo poo. Otherwise:

If you get 2 of any upgrade, mulligan for The Force is Strong. If you get a The Force is Strong and one of any good upgrade, statistically it is unlikely to find its double through mulligans. Do it anyway: It's fun. Otherwise, shoot for a It Binds All Things and/or Jedi Robes.

Economically the deck hums along with the two above econ cards. I tend to throw non-robes upgrades on Rey- this tends to frustrate and annoy an opponent who wants to just slam Luke as well as give you that sweet, sweet action economy. Luke draws cards every turn, getting you closer to doubles for The Force is Strong. Jedi Council does the same.

Don't be afraid to pitch cards that don't look useful each round to get closer to doubles for The Force is Strong.

The deck has plenty of the most fun kind of variance, and when it rains, it pours- Luke and Rey can absolutely lay down the hurt very quickly.

Helion fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 10, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

BJPaskoff,
Did you still want the two jetpacks?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
More stupid new player questions. If I'm playing elite Leia and want to use her ability:

-can I only remove 1 of her dice to reroll others, or do I have to do both
-if I remove both, would I get to reroll up to four other dice
-am I completely misunderstanding this ability

Thank you for your consideration.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

evenworse username posted:

More stupid new player questions. If I'm playing elite Leia and want to use her ability:

-can I only remove 1 of her dice to reroll others, or do I have to do both
-if I remove both, would I get to reroll up to four other dice
-am I completely misunderstanding this ability

Thank you for your consideration.

You only have to remove 1 die to roll up to 2 dice. Up to, so it can be 0, 1 or 2 dice. You are able to do the action for each character die you have available and each time you get to reroll up to 2 dice. These are separate actions. They can't be done together.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

BJPaskoff,
Did you still want the two jetpacks?

Oh, sorry! No, I think I'm going to hold off making a second deck with Jetpacks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So here's my own janky e-Rey/Luke deck. http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/7432/rey-zing-2.0

It's near complete, but not quite since I have no Force Trainings and I'm missing one more Force Throw. I am kind of curious if I have enough resource generation though. And I know about possible Holdout Blasters, but again, lol. I also have no real battlefield strategy so I just stuck armory in because it sounded synergistic. :shrug:

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

Want to learn how to play Destiny on Tabletop Simulator? Want to build decks with spoiled cards from Spirit of the Rebellion? Helloooooo, Sheev-baby! Check my poorly done video for info!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnQ6UgxeRgg&feature=youtu.be

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I just bought a Holocron for $12. I could make excuses about how maybe its price will go higher, but the truth is that I was just driven by addiction and a lust for power. So, thematically appropriate at least.

Helion fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 12, 2017

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
I never wanted to buy into this game, I thought I was done with collectible games with WotC's Star Wars Miniatures, but here I am.

A friend of mine bought heavy into the game really early and amassed a decent collection, but recently decided he didn't want to continue playing. So I bought his collection and now have no idea what to do from here. I've been watching some stuff on YouTube about how to deck build (hero or villain, character colors determine which cards you can have in your deck) and I think I've got a grasp on how to play after a half dozen games with my friend, but I don't really know where to go with my new collection. I seem to have almost all villains as far as characters go.

For Heroes, I have Finn, Hired Gun x2, Rebel Trooper, Rey. As far as Villains, I have Bala-Tik x4, First Order Stormtrooper x2, General Veers x2, Jango Fett x2, Kylo Ren, Nightsister, Tusken Raider.

Without net-decking (because I feel I won't learn how a deck plays, not because I think there's anythign wrong with it) do you guys have any hidden tips on how a beginner should put together a deck? This is honestly the first CCG I've ever played, I stayed away from Magic completely so I feel a little out of my depth.

Thanks my dudes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I usually netdeck, go to an event and play the deck I copied, then make changes based on how those games went

It's good to have a base to start from

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Without netdecking I would choose a wincon to start with. Then choose character's and a background that fit the wincon or wincons best.

Then choose cards....

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
My local shop unexpectedly got some boosters in. Managed to pull ATST, Jabba, Jango and One With the Force.

I'm still struggling with deck builds due to poor choice of characters. So far I've got Finn, 2xRey, Stormtrooper, 2x Kylo, Bala Tik, Admiral Ackbar, Leia, Rebel Trooper, Tusken Raider, Jabba and Jango. I've got a Millennium Falcon I can't make fit in any deck.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

bowmore posted:

I usually netdeck, go to an event and play the deck I copied, then make changes based on how those games went

That's actually a pretty smart way of looking at it that I hadn't considered.

I like the look of eBala/Trooper/Jango. There's a lot of versions out there, so I guess I'll just pick one and start playing.

I've also been reading about/watching games with eRey and Padawan x2. I think that'll be my next project - I'd like to have one hero and one villain deck. I'm definitely not looking to be a completionist with this game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

This is the best way to learn what's good. I'd rather netdeck while playtesting instead of playing in a tournament with the exact list posted online, but that's just my personal preference. Now that I've played with and against a bunch of netdecked lists, I know what cards are good, and if I put a team of characters together I can come up with a list that's two or three cards at most off from the "best" tournament winning list online. I'm not bragging, it's just that the card pool is limited enough that knowing how to build to a character's strengths leaves me with practically just enough options to squeeze together a 30 card list.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

I'd rather netdeck while playtesting instead of playing in a tournament
Ideally that's what you'd want to do but when you don't have a group to test against you have to go to events to test

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Play online via Skype or TTS. TTS is especially good for testing stuff you don't have.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

ShowTime posted:

ePhasma
Bala-Tik
First Order Stormtrooper

Separatist Base

Holdout Blaster x2
IQA-11 Blaster Rifle x2
Commanding Presence x2
Jetpack x2
DH-17 Blaster Pistol x2
F-11D Rifle x2
Hunker Down x2

Backup Muscle x2

He Doesn't Like You x2
Electroshock x2
Tactical Mastery x2
The Best Defense...x2
Flank x2
Dug In x2
All In x1
Endless Ranks x1

Been having a lot of success and good times with this deck I mentioned earlier. I've made a few changes to the deck and have removed the two The Best Defense..., the two Dug In and one IQA-11 Blaster Rifle. Instead there are now two Probes, two Unpredictable and one Tie Fighter. The Tie Fighter could probably be anything you want, as I haven't even played it yet. I've always drawn it late game when I don't really need it. Probe is a really good card and i'm surprised it doesn't see more play. Most people play their upgrades as the first thing they do, because why wouldn't you play an upgrade before you roll a character? So it quickly becomes just a 0 cost discard 2 cards ability. Unpredictable is just a good card all around.

Won every game i've played with it and it's fun to play. It's surprisingly control heavy. Backup Muscle is such a good card. Endless Ranks actually won me a long game. They killed my Bala-Tik, then my Stormtrooper, then when my Phasma had 8 damage on her, I brought back the Stormtrooper and the next turn my Phasma died. My opponent had a Rey with a 3 upgrades on her and my Stormtrooper already had 3 damage on it. I opted to discard my whole hand as we went to the next round, knowing that if I drew a Tactical Mastery and Backup Muscle I could beat the Rey with 8 damage on her. Out of the 9 cards left in my deck, I drew 5 and in those 5 I got my Tactical Mastery and Backup Muscle. Played the Backup Muscle, opponent rolled 4 damage, but I played the Tactical Mastery to use Backup Muscle and claim the Battlefield for the final 2 damage.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Looking to trade multiple rares for legendaries if anyone has any of the following:

Captain Phasma
Commanding Presence
Darth Vader
Jabba the Hutt
Crime Lord
Launch Bay
Luke Skywalker
One with the Force
Han Solo
Thermal Detonator
Black One

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The lack of product to buy is quite disappointing

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Also, today they revealed some more info on Worlds. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/16/2017-may-world-championships-early-registration/

Is anyone planning on going? You can register starting March 14th. Not sure how many seats there are, but nobody should have reserved seats since the game came out after the season began and the game is new, so it has no previous world champions. I'm thinking of going. It more than likely will be only Awakenings, as Spirit of Rebellion shouldn't be out in time for it to qualify.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

ShowTime posted:

Also, today they revealed some more info on Worlds. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/16/2017-may-world-championships-early-registration/

Is anyone planning on going? You can register starting March 14th. Not sure how many seats there are, but nobody should have reserved seats since the game came out after the season began and the game is new, so it has no previous world champions. I'm thinking of going. It more than likely will be only Awakenings, as Spirit of Rebellion shouldn't be out in time for it to qualify.

I'm really sad that it's on the day after I return from vacation and I don't have enough days to extend it by one. It's a shame they couldn't do it on a weekend. Maybe I'll drive over after work and see how it goes in the final rounds.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I should be going. At least I put in for time off for it. Love to play in either destiny or Armada even if I'll get my butt kicked.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I randomly checked ebay today and booster boxes are up to $210. I wonder how much higher they will go. That's almost double MSRP.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ShowTime posted:

I randomly checked ebay today and booster boxes are up to $210. I wonder how much higher they will go. That's almost double MSRP.
Looking at recently sold listings, it looks like they're getting sold in the $190-200 neighborhood after shipping. :eyepop:

I considered your advice of cracking open my dragon hoard of ten boxes and selling the singles, but I just sold them as complete boxes. Probably left some money on the table, but there's something to be said about being done with it. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
I just listed and sold all my boxes on a facebook trading group for $145 shipped today, and half the comments were the price police tut-tutting about :byodood:PRICE GOUGING:byodood:. Shipping these things with tracking and insurance averaged me $20/box (when I was estimating $13), with Paypal fees taking another $5, which puts me at net revenue of $120/box, which is MSRP+tax if I had bought them locally (I didn't, but that's my own business).
That's why I like selling/trade forums (like SA Mart) with rules against non-buyers commenting on price or telling people where they can buy it elsewhere. Don't worry, the internet strangers didn't hurt my feelings.

The alleged price gouging didn't dissuade 15 people from messaging me in the first 30 minutes buying them all.
A guy messaged me right after I had sold the last one saying he owned a store, and he would buy literally every box I had left at that price just so he could get SOME product in store. Guy probably could have cracked them for singles and made $150 profit per box selling them at his location if he was selling at online prices.

This is nuts. I'm making arrangements to sell locally the rest of my collection. I'm about $180 deep in product that I kept for myself (box and a half and one of each starter) and I've played maybe 10 games because I don't have the time to play Destiny in addition to the other stuff I want to do. On a $/game basis, it's turning into a poor value for me. Maybe once product becomes available and prices level out, I'll get back into it. Assuming that I find more leisure time (unlikely) and/or get bored of X-Wing (also unlikely)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That is a reason i'd never deal with Facebook trade groups. Ebay at least has anonymity. People love to comment on stuff like that and there is none of that on Ebay. I'm probably going to get rid of a bunch of my stuff and keep 1 deck. I'm not sure what is going to happen with this game in the future. Will they reprint Awakenings? When? Will people still be playing when that happens? What is Spirit of Rebellion going to do to the game? Worlds is coming up and it looks like no one will be getting any Awakenings before then and SoR won't be out in time, assuming it does come out on the rumored release of 4/28.

The release of this game has been unlike anything i've ever seen. I can't even think what Magic would be like if their newest set was sold out everywhere and people couldn't get any packs.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

That is a reason i'd never deal with Facebook trade groups. Ebay at least has anonymity. People love to comment on stuff like that and there is none of that on Ebay. I'm probably going to get rid of a bunch of my stuff and keep 1 deck. I'm not sure what is going to happen with this game in the future. Will they reprint Awakenings? When? Will people still be playing when that happens? What is Spirit of Rebellion going to do to the game? Worlds is coming up and it looks like no one will be getting any Awakenings before then and SoR won't be out in time, assuming it does come out on the rumored release of 4/28.

The release of this game has been unlike anything i've ever seen. I can't even think what Magic would be like if their newest set was sold out everywhere and people couldn't get any packs.

I'm the most hardcore Destiny fan I know, and even my optimism is starting to wane. My LGS owner heard rumors, I don't know from where, of another shipment that was supposed to arrive this week. It didn't, of course, and no one is playing it. I'm into the game for about $300. I could build a third solid deck if I had 2x Force Choke, 2x Kylo's Saber, and 1x Vader, but that's $180 I'd have to drop on a game that might be worthless if SoR bombs for any of the following reasons: it sells out just as fast and completely; it drives up demand but people can't get Awakenings for the staples (which rise in price by a lot); people such as someone I know preorder as many boxes as they can from as many stores as they can to make a profit on eBay; or no one buys it because it's too late and everyone's gun-shy about sinking more money into the game.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

ShowTime posted:

That was exactly what Magic was like for the first year and change. I started playing right at the end of it, and I missed out on the super hard to get sets because I lived in a small town, so no one in the region even had product from the limited releases. But very early on "limited edition expansion set" really meant it (though not intentionally; like Destiny they just underestimated the demand). The first version of the base set and the first three expansion sets were basically impossible to get even on release, and the fourth not a ton better, to the extent that when I started playing, even bad uncommons from prior sets were nearly priceless in trade, and most people didn't have playsets of them.

It didn't kill the game, obviously, but I do think a lot of that was that it was so new to everyone, and there was nothing like a serious tournament scene in the way there is now. And there certainly weren't meaningfully competing games that lacked those issues. I won a tournament at the local college with a just awful deck because no one else had much of anything either, and no one thought this was unreasonable, since there wasn't a cultural expectation that deckbuilding wouldn't be constrained by your individual collection. Destiny will be in trouble if their supply issues last a year, I think.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Destiny will not face any trouble, regardless of supply issues, even if this rate of production never increases (but it will, dramatically). It will just become a game for rich city nerds rather than all nerds, and the people who can afford to play now will continue to play and buy product as it is released. The fact that people are willing to pay double MSRP demonstrates that the demand is significantly higher than FFG forecast, and I can't blame them for being conservative with the first set of a new collectible random-pack card game.

In the long run, once production is increased, this game may give MTG a real competitor. Several of the local players (including myself) switched. Kids play Pokemon and Yugioh because of the TV series and video games, and those card games are aimed at exploiting their familiarity and emotional investment into those franchises. Now you have a Star Wars game with rules simple enough to be understood by those same kids, but with strategy complex enough to be a deep and abiding game for adults. The barrier to MTG has always been the complexity of the rules and entirely new fictional world. SWD eliminates both those barriers to entry.

We'll see what the new sets bring for the depth of gameplay and strategy, but it won't be production that kills this game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well yeah, FFG will continue making it as long as their stock literally sells out instantly, but if they don't dramatically improve supply levels the game will remain a very small, very expensive niche game that can't grow because there is nothing for new players to buy. If they made 10x the initial run the game would still likely be selling out but the player base would be 2-3x larger and the second hand market wouldn't be ridiculous.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Those niche games just die around here (Long Island), which is why I'm extra salty about it. It won't be a rich kids' game, it won't be a game I get to play among a small group of friends, it'll just completely die out.

On a more positive note, I am excited to see what's in the new set, the upgrades and events more than the characters. I've got a Leia/Ackbar deck that is great, but is literally using every red and gray card that can possibly fit in the archetype. Some more hero/neutral guns and that deck's going to open up. Same with Han/Rey, it needs more ambush cards to be more consistent. I was excited about the prospect of a Grevious/Raider/Raider deck, but there aren't nearly enough supportive cards for it in Awakenings and that could change in SoR. All the red villain cards in Awakenings are about disposable non-unique red characters.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's also kind of my concern, the area I live in. It's a college town, very frugal, with a strict board-game only crowd. They don't like to pick up new games, especially ones that are expensive. So i'm kind of concerned not enough local players will be playing and i'll strictly have to travel to play or play the same 2-3 people over and over again.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BJPaskoff posted:

Those niche games just die around here (Long Island), which is why I'm extra salty about it. It won't be a rich kids' game, it won't be a game I get to play among a small group of friends, it'll just completely die out.

On a more positive note, I am excited to see what's in the new set, the upgrades and events more than the characters. I've got a Leia/Ackbar deck that is great, but is literally using every red and gray card that can possibly fit in the archetype. Some more hero/neutral guns and that deck's going to open up. Same with Han/Rey, it needs more ambush cards to be more consistent. I was excited about the prospect of a Grevious/Raider/Raider deck, but there aren't nearly enough supportive cards for it in Awakenings and that could change in SoR. All the red villain cards in Awakenings are about disposable non-unique red characters.

Looks like the card pictured (with Maz) is an upgrade, and the die pictured with Maz could be a character or support.
A 1 resource upgrade with a 2 focus side looks pretty spiffy. Wonder what that 0 cost blue card is too.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There is a grey r2d2 dice there, too

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Looks like the card pictured (with Maz) is an upgrade, and the die pictured with Maz could be a character or support.
A 1 resource upgrade with a 2 focus side looks pretty spiffy. Wonder what that 0 cost blue card is too.

I'm guessing the yellow upgrade card with Maz pictured is for ze goggles (zey do nothing!) which is why she is not using them in her character die portrait, harr harr.

Looks like R2 will be a support similar to BB-8, but with a melee side may actually be playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A source from someone on Facebook who was at ToyFair said:

quote:

Destiny starters are supposed to be back maybe in March. New Destiny boosters are slated for hopefully April or May, and they have decided to do a very limited reprint of the first boosters, but they probably won't be available until summer.

Doesn't sound promising.