Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arist posted:

Five episodes into Kaiju No. 8, the OP is definitely coming across as a weird choice. Completely disregarding any discussion of the actual song's quality, the OP implies a much more downbeat and serious show, when in actuality it's a pretty bog-standard shounen in terms of tone. Hell, it's probably more outright comedic than a lot of other action series I've read/watched.

Also the show is... fine. Not really grabbing me.

Honestly I wish it was more like what the OP implied since there's some parts of the show I do enjoy but a lot of the humor is just that particular kind of shout-y shonen humor that's frequently just nails on a chalkboard to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arist posted:

Five episodes into Kaiju No. 8, the OP is definitely coming across as a weird choice. Completely disregarding any discussion of the actual song's quality, the OP implies a much more downbeat and serious show, when in actuality it's a pretty bog-standard shounen in terms of tone. Hell, it's probably more outright comedic than a lot of other action series I've read/watched.

Also the show is... fine. Not really grabbing me.

yeah this is about how i feel about it - most of the time it's playing the shounen hits with a lot of two-man comedy between the lead and his kouhai

occasionally it digs into the concept a little and almost hits on something. i thought juxtaposing the kaiju attacks with the kaiju bureaucracy early on was pretty interesting, and there was this small undercurrent of unsettling body horror with both the lead and the kaiju that was working, but now it's pretty much just a bog standard shounen test arc.

this has basically nothing to do with the op. the soundtrack is actually pretty good outside of that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Even from beyond the grave, no one does it like Takahiro Kimura
may he rest in peace

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I burned through all available episodes of Yatagarasu yesterday. Given that I like it more than Apothecary Diaries, what else should I watch?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Moribito and Ooku are the first to come to mind, though Ooku's (incomplete) anime adaptation isn't ideal.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Maera Sior posted:

I burned through all available episodes of Yatagarasu yesterday. Given that I like it more than Apothecary Diaries, what else should I watch?

what did you like about it? it's on the watch list but i haven't found time yet.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

what did you like about it? it's on the watch list but i haven't found time yet.

Palace intrigue where the characters have reasonable motives (even the ones opposed to the crown prince) and want to do something within their (usually pretty constrained) socially acceptable niche.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Maera Sior posted:

Palace intrigue where the characters have reasonable motives (even the ones opposed to the crown prince) and want to do something within their (usually pretty constrained) socially acceptable niche.

If you can dig up copies, try Saiunkoko Monogatari.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The music video for the Loser Ranger OP is some fun tokusatsu shenanigans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZYjfMqAsc

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

12 Kingdoms? EDIT: looking it up this seems like more of a fantasy isekai road trip thing, just that "palace intrigue" is the vibe I always got from hearing about it. Funny that

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 15, 2024

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Pootybutt posted:

12 Kingdoms? EDIT: looking it up this seems like more of a fantasy isekai road trip thing, just that "palace intrigue" is the vibe I always got from hearing about it. Funny that

no you're right, it starts as the former but turns into the latter pretty quickly iirc

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

no you're right, it starts as the former but turns into the latter pretty quickly iirc

I guess I could do a rewatch if I get really desperate, but I was hoping for something with a bit faster pace. I recall the character development was fantastic but there were quite a few episodes on each arc.

ETA: Raven of the Inner Palace was quite recent. Who here watched it?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 15, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Raven of the Inner Palace is much closer to Apothecary Diaries, though the cases are supernatural. There is some larger maneuvering in the court tied to some of the episodic cases, but given the length of the series it doesn't have room to do much, and mainly focuses on ending off with a nice cap for character relationships in a smaller cast. Definitely something I'd normally rec if someone enjoyed Maomao or Saiunkoku, just didn't think it fit as well if the criteria is more focused on backroom meetings and maneuvers.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
ACCA is a solid backroom meeting and maneuver show.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
I absolutely adore ACCA and I'm so surprised to see someone mention it. It seems like such a forgotten show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/animetv_jp/status/1791409958501621905?t=6yCxbsMCBBVWAf3t58OfOQ&s=19

Hmm this new Joker character feels awful familiar.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This fellow is a terrible criminal, yet he seems to think it's all some kind of joke....very disturbing...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what if crime... was funny?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*screaming internally*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least harley's char design in this is kind of cute. every successive harley char design has gotten worse and worse.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arist posted:

what if crime... was funny?

Reservoir Dogs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

feels like they've been giving Da Joker a lot of promo for someone who presumably isn't even like a major character in the meat of the show, I don't think he's in the isekai part

e: but that's not all that surprising because he's the loving joker

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

anyway i disagree that harley designs only get worse because they absolutely cannot possibly get any worse than arkham asylum

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arist posted:

feels like they've been giving Da Joker a lot of promo for someone who presumably isn't even like a major character in the meat of the show, I don't think he's in the isekai part

e: but that's not all that surprising because he's the loving joker

plus they did that already, it was called Batman Ninja and it ruled

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Joker really is a character that I wish they'd put on ice for like a decade cause he's over exposed and all his current versions are just so boring.

Though I suppose it's not as bad as the time when DC thought of the brilliant idea of making an AU Batman the Joker

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
After playing the Arkham games for to long, it isn't Joker if it isn't Mark Hamill doing the voice work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

After playing the Arkham games for to long, it isn't Joker if it isn't Mark Hamill doing the voice work.

I mean, after the next Crisis on Infinite Earths movie, you're probably not gonna be getting any of that anymore. Mark is stepping away from the character For Real Now after Kevin passed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he tries, but hamill's too old to do his joker voice very well any more.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He wanted to retire from doing Joker back after Arkham City in 2011 because it was literally destroying his vocal cords. Now we're hearing what happened to his voice after that retirement didn't pan out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arc Hammer posted:

He wanted to retire from doing Joker back after Arkham City in 2011 because it was literally destroying his vocal cords. Now we're hearing what happened to his voice after that retirement didn't pan out.

Yet another reason to hate Arkham Knight

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Is there a lore reason they're called the Suicide Squad?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

They are sent in to do jobs/missions where the expected outcome is basically a 0% success rate and failure is certain death, a suicide mission if you will.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

They were all convicts being offered black-ops at ludicrous odds to reduce their sentences by some amount if they didn't just die in the field and end up anonymous corpses, disavowed by all. A win-win for shady government handlers.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoezAjIDWPM

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is also specifically why they're villains because a lot of these ops are super illegal and if they get caught the government can go "that wasn't us that was The Joker, you know how he is"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Furnaceface posted:

They are sent in to do jobs/missions where the expected outcome is basically a 0% success rate and failure is certain death, a suicide mission if you will.

Why don't they do jobs with 100% success rate? Are they stupid?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

unfortunately they suffer from skill issue

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

"Task Force X" has been nicknamed "The Suicide Squad" ever since their first Silver Age appearance back in 1959, before the squad started using super villains. Originally it was because Rick Flag was the only survivor of a WW2 bombing raid on a Japanese fleet and he made a promise to his fallen comrades to keep carrying on the fight "as a member of the suicide squad".

When the team got relaunched in 1987 as a secret group of government-controlled villains they got the nickname pretty much the same as happened in the 2016 film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The problem with Suicide Squad is that it's been The Joker and Harley Quinn brand for a while now so the title makes almost no sense.