Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Whooping Crabs posted:

Biopharma companies have infinite money so a 400k machine means nothing to them. I'm a biologist working at a place that sells microfluidic instruments and while the base cost of the instrument is high the single use consumable cost needed to run experiments is insane.

Yeah consumables, especially in biopharma manufacturing, are loving insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Is it me or are multiple women just...on the phone?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
women do be always on they phone

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Leandros posted:

What do you think they are talking about on the phone to someone when S&R grabs them in a bear hug?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

hawowanlawow posted:

what do these wing nerds do for a living anyway, you know that poo poo is expensive

I have a relative who is a computer toucher and game nerd. He also used to be severly depressed.

Skydiving and wingsuit flying probably saved his life, he lives for it now, doing formation flying and competitions.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

MrQwerty posted:

What do you think they are talking about on the phone to someone when S&R grabs them in a bear hug?

boys of course

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you gotta live all the way up your own rear end or be like a childless orphan to do the wing suit stuff. those people are not cool, at all

it is a free country and I'm not saying they need to be stopped or whatever, but I have zero respect for em

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I tend to enjoy being able to clutch my pearls and say "oh my" as a guy slides underneath a giant truck, comfortable in the knowledge that somehow against all odds, he ultimately will crawl out, brush the dust off and walk away.

But that's only because the giant truck is unlikely to remove both shoes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hawowanlawow posted:

you gotta live all the way up your own rear end or be like a childless orphan to do the wing suit stuff. those people are not cool, at all

it is a free country and I'm not saying they need to be stopped or whatever, but I have zero respect for em

I think it would be totally cool to do in the open air like dropping from a plane. Just insane to me to do something like that surrounded by rocks and trees

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah consumables, especially in biopharma manufacturing, are loving insane

My dad was in a biotechnology start up at one point and they needed a budget increase so they asked the head investor for more money to finish out the quarter and he got all pissed off and then laughed and apologized when he found out they were only asking for like 360k (this woulda been over 20 years ago) and wrote a check on the spot.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Preoptopus posted:

My dad was in a biotechnology start up at one point and they needed a budget increase so they asked the head investor for more money to finish out the quarter and he got all pissed off and then laughed and apologized when he found out they were only asking for like 360k (this woulda been over 20 years ago) and wrote a check on the spot.

the drug contaminated gowning trash that came out of a drug fill that ran about 15-24 hours was probably ~120-200lbs, as someone that would bag & tag full trashcans on my way out for 15 minutes, depending on how bad it went. That is the trashcan outside the exit emptied multiple times. Not the discarded clean glass from the tunnel, not the broken drug contaminated glass, not the empty cans of IPA and empty bottles of peroxide, not the cans in the cleanroom just full of latex gloves, nothing but tyvek that people wore in and out.

Dumping a tunnel because the glass was malformed or because there was an air reversal or something... just creating and hauling bags of shards of glass in tyvek bunny suits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veMiNQifZcM

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Preoptopus posted:

Big avon barksdale sponsoring a gym energy

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Leandros posted:

They’re probably talking to either loved ones or a crisis line.

If you’re in the US you can call 988 and it will connect you to a mental health crisis line.

Also lmao at google being terrible, if you just search “crisis line” it does not show that number at the top of the search. If you search many other connected topics it does.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

It's so, so stupid. And there's an entire industry sprung up to service these people.

[Tell me if this is offtopic]
I really feel that we need to NOT hide all the videos of people dying, like when they fall off buildings doing ticktock trends and the like. All we have is this stream of reinforcement and people doing absurdly dangerous stuff and looking cool doing it, without the accompaniment of why our instincts are justified in recoiling from it. Everybody knows that skateboarders take tumbles as part of their practice, it's been on tv for our entire lives. But every time a skydiver goes splat or a bungee cord snaps it was an absolute tragedy, a total act of providence, and the obligatory recording the victim was making will never be released as that would be crass, of course.

As a contrast, Health & Safety videos have no reservations of telling you about how the auger thirsts for flesh, and here have a look at this xray of a guy who's leg got eaten by a belt.

Any "no deaths" rule in a content sharing thread is just there as a definite line in the sand to prevent the slippery slope of people posting snuff and gore to get their rocks off. Because that is what it always devolves into, with "lol shock value," "don't like it don't look," or "this is how the real world works so get used to it" as a fig leaf over their personal kink. Everything else is just details, and if that means that informative health and safety vids get left by the wayside as collateral damage, well, that's unfortunate but not really worth loosening the rules over.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just on the phone talking to my friend about how beautiful the view is out my window when orange Batman comes swinging in on a rope and caves in my chest with a brutal kick.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

hawowanlawow posted:

Ok

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Preoptopus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3J7-ZSaXw

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

ilmucche posted:

Big avon barksdale sponsoring a gym energy

Kinda was. Startup biotech is sketchy as gently caress.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Preoptopus posted:

Kinda was. Startup biotech is sketchy as gently caress.

It's Big Pharma and lovely SV crypto startups combined into a great new flavor, like toothpaste and OJ.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pharma manufacturing looks expensive until you compare it to the rest of the process and then it’s a drop in the bucket.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
2.5 billion to make the first pill, 25 cents to make the second one

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's Big Pharma and lovely SV crypto startups combined into a great new flavor, like toothpaste and OJ.

Basically you exploit foreign scientists with false promises of riches with bullshit stock options if they work for free to crank out a super niche patent that hopefully a big pharma company buys just to own it even if they never plan to use it. The investors get a big pay day, vonpany gets dissolved and the foreign scientists ie my dad get poo poo canned.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Pharma manufacturing looks expensive until you compare it to the rest of the process and then it’s a drop in the bucket.

lol yeah like 10 years before I worked at that place they bankrupted a company completely doing a FDA shelf-stabilization test fill where the lyo cracked and they threw the whole lot away, leaving that chemo drug dead in the water.

Then they brought in a welder to fix the lyo, he said he couldn't fix it, they threatened him and he did it, then it cracked on the other side and they made him fix that and then sued him and won.

That lyo was still killing lots at random intervals because the geometry was hosed until I was gone, pretty sure it finally got decommed.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 23, 2024

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

https://i.imgur.com/M7IbWeo.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I would have designed a system that :henget:'s anyone on the tracks and whisks them inside the train so there are no stops except when people need to get off.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Don't be silly, why would people get off a train

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nenonen posted:

I would have designed a system that :henget:'s anyone on the tracks and whisks them inside the train so there are no stops except when people need to get off.

Needs to have a ticket detection system before it deploys the net. Wouldn't want any fare evasion when you're implementing such an expensive system.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/xPzWg48.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

But then your engine dies from lung cancer.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

A lot more safe and effective than some of the homemade smoke machines I've seen. For thoes who aent mechanics, they are checking for vacuum leaks in the engine. The actual tool costs about 500 bucks or more and makes smoke by burning baby oil.

Edit. Although I dno why they went through all that effort to find a leak in that obviously lovely hose connection. You could have just as easily confirmed it's shittyness by spraying carb clean on that spot and hearing the engine bog down.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 23, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A better job than the last attempt i saw at building one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLl95jjlw0s

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Preoptopus posted:

A lot more safe and effective than some of the homemade smoke machines I've seen. For thoes who aent mechanics, they are checking for vacuum leaks in the engine. The actual tool costs about 500 bucks or more and makes smoke by burning baby oil.

Edit. Although I dno why they went through all that effort to find a leak in that obviously lovely hose connection. You could have just as easily confirmed it's shittyness by spraying carb clean on that spot and hearing the engine bog down.

Extracting the baby oil is also expensive.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think it would be totally cool to do in the open air like dropping from a plane. Just insane to me to do something like that surrounded by rocks and trees

To be fair to the mad wingsuiters, without being near the ground to get that sense of movement, there's really not much point to being in a wingsuit. Well, unless it's your day to day commute. Just wingsuiting to the office.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/HwtkUXj.mp4

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I made myself laugh picturing a freight train popping out a trampoline

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Wing suit/BASE jump people are like horse people except they’re more likely to die than the horse

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Crazypoops posted:

I made myself laugh picturing a freight train popping out a trampoline

That's an attractive nuisance, you have to keep the train fenced in.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.io/V3o7v8E.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Interesting. Rather than hitting that dude, it would be better if it jumped the track and plowed down 3 nun mannequins as they had nothing to contribute to the gene pool.