Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well I finally got it, but I think it took a solid two, two and a half hours of just grinding to get it, running away from any fight that didn't have a Holly Fairy in it, which is pretty awful. If I were playing this game without any kind of guide, I might not even believe the Nameless Urn existed.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!
I've recently come into access of all the .hack games (both series). Are they worth playing at all? I don't really mind the episodic nature of it so long as the gameplay is alright and doesn't come across as too much of a slog.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
You're probably better off just selling them off for some really quick cash if you can. The first series is just a boring slog that apparently only gets worst as the series goes on(I only made it though 1/2-2/3rds of the first game, and was pretty bored with it by then).

GU, on the other hand, is a little more action-based with it combat, but it just can't hold out for those 3 games(and should have really been condensed into 1 game), and the last game is just a gigantic pile of dumb, anger-inducing sequences that makes you wonder how in the hell CC manages to exist as a company, both in-game and in the real world.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CVagts posted:

It's probably not exactly that, because Suikoden's drop system only lets you get one drop per battle, so if you fight three Holly Fairies and one Creeper, and the Creeper's item drops, that prevents you from getting any other items in that battle. I don't know what determines what drop you get from which enemy, though.

Really? I swear I've gotten more than one drop per encounter.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Dross posted:

What are some good PSX RPGs, not available on PSN as PSOne Classics, that have no real-time battle mechanics at all? (i.e. exclusively menu-driven battles)

SRPG or CRPG, I like both. Sprite-based graphics are a plus, especially if they have pretty prerendered backgrounds too.

The Arc the Lad series is pretty good if you want another SRPG. The first one if a little rough around the edges and plays a bit like Shining Force in that the battles are taking place on maps that you are actively moving across between destinations. Arc the Lad 2 is really good though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc the Lad's biggest problem is that it is so loving slow and the EXP gain mechanics (especially in the first game) are pretty awful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The first game is kinda trivial to solo with any of the meatier characters, especially Tosh. But the second just plods on and on forever and then suddenly the final dungeon is 20-30 levels higher than anything else in the game. And equipment upgrading is random and stupid so it's easy to be way behind there, too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
7th Dragon is a game that makes me very happy my flashcart lets me run cheats. God, the entire Bloom mechanic is a miserable exercise.

The game itself is pretty fun now that I've nullified that horseshit, though! Sort of feels like a weird alternate-universe Etrian Odyssey game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ImpAtom posted:

Arc the Lad's biggest problem is that it is so loving slow and the EXP gain mechanics (especially in the first game) are pretty awful.

It's probably been ten years since I beat Arc the Lad 1, but I don't remember having any trouble with it.

dis astranagant posted:

The first game is kinda trivial to solo with any of the meatier characters, especially Tosh. But the second just plods on and on forever and then suddenly the final dungeon is 20-30 levels higher than anything else in the game. And equipment upgrading is random and stupid so it's easy to be way behind there, too.

I never actually finished Arc II, so this could all be true. I enjoyed playing what I did. A lot of that random bullshit with enemies suddenly being drastically more powerful I chalk up to the era the game was released.

Sort of related, I wish the 3DS would get some more SRPGs in general though. Ghost Recon was pretty good, and of course there's Fire Emblem, but there really hasn't been anything else good that I'm aware of. Maybe we'll get another Final Fantasy Tactics or Devil Survivor 2 will finally get a 3DS port. The genre seems perfectly suited to the DS and 3DS and the DS got a bunch of really great games during its life, but the 3DS hasn't yet. There have been a lot of really great JRPGs for it though. Hopefully Atlus keeps cranking out great stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's probably been ten years since I beat Arc the Lad 1, but I don't remember having any trouble with it.

It isn't hard. It's just that the way EXP gains work is eighted towards the high-damage classes. Arc and Shu can probably solo the game on their own but getting your little bard guy going if he gets even a little behind is annoying.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 6, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arc the Lad 2 was great when the party was split and the way it brought them together was the most memorable part of the game. Then it just kind of plods along to a Tosh- and Robot-fuelled rampage.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't hard. It's just that the way EXP games exist are weighted towards the high-damage classes. Arc and Shu can probably solo the game on their own but getting your little bard guy going if he gets even a little behind is annoying.

This is true. You basically have to force the weaker characters to level, they're not going to do it naturally thanks to the heavy weight on killing blows.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And let's not forget that if you played the first game the entire cast of the second will be miles behind the cast of the first when you get them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

dis astranagant posted:

And let's not forget that if you played the first game the entire cast of the second will be miles behind the cast of the first when you get them.

I've always loved this just because you're like... level 10-15 at the point where you first see the AtL1 cast in AtL2 and suddenly they just wander in as a bunch of badasses and crush everything in two hits or less. Pretty sure even without import data they're level 30-40.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

7th Dragon is a game that makes me very happy my flashcart lets me run cheats. God, the entire Bloom mechanic is a miserable exercise.

The game itself is pretty fun now that I've nullified that horseshit, though! Sort of feels like a weird alternate-universe Etrian Odyssey game.

One of the patches (the one labelled USA, I believe) reduces the bloom effect by like 60%. You can also enter a character name that gives you items that nullify bloom as well. It's all in the Readme for the patch. I was just about to get started myself and I was wondering which route to take but given your reaction, I think I'll go with the easier patch.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, I went in going "Man, hell with that, I'll play it like it was developed, it's not supposed to be EO-hard even in the original form" but I did not realize that this scale basically relied on "...if you constantly enter and leave areas, clearing out Bloom as you go, and putting a lot of points into the field skill that lowers field damage". Bloom aside, the original level game doesn't bug me.

Bloom aside.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That's exactly where I got with the game, but it also feels like it's missing a lot of QOL stuff that came in with the 3DS and Etrian Odyssey. It'd be interesting to see how the sequel/spinoff mixed things up, I should probably grab it at some point.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tenderjerk posted:

I've recently come into access of all the .hack games (both series). Are they worth playing at all? I don't really mind the episodic nature of it so long as the gameplay is alright and doesn't come across as too much of a slog.

I'd at least give the first game a shot, but would probably agree with the guy that said to sell them (even though I love the series to death).

The first couple games are only like 15 hours a piece if you go out of your way to do most things so it's not a terrible time investment to just see if you enjoy it. Just keep in mind that the latter games in the original series all play mostly the same so if you don't like it after hour 5 you're not going to like it going into the final game, especially since the last game has the most tedious fetch quest I've seen that adds something like 10 hours to the clock.

Speaking of tedious and Arc the Lad, the final boss of the second game was so plodding that I never bothered to load up the third game. Was it any good?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Phantasium posted:

I'd at least give the first game a shot, but would probably agree with the guy that said to sell them (even though I love the series to death).

The first couple games are only like 15 hours a piece if you go out of your way to do most things so it's not a terrible time investment to just see if you enjoy it. Just keep in mind that the latter games in the original series all play mostly the same so if you don't like it after hour 5 you're not going to like it going into the final game, especially since the last game has the most tedious fetch quest I've seen that adds something like 10 hours to the clock.

Speaking of tedious and Arc the Lad, the final boss of the second game was so plodding that I never bothered to load up the third game. Was it any good?

The third game feels remarkably different and focuses on the Hunter side of things a few years after 2. I enjoyed it for what it was; it was a bit more balanced than 2 but more repetitive. Definitely an acquired taste. Some characters from 2 show up as temp party members so that's kinda cool.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Phantasium posted:

No. It was high school kids go exploring: the game. The PS2 one owned though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not to mention how ridiculously easy it is, since you have tons of powerful attacks with huge aoes, some of which are your basic weapon attacks.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Stelas posted:

No. It was high school kids go exploring: the game. The PS2 one owned though.

Weren't there two PS2 Arc games? Twilight of the Spirits and End of Darkness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CVagts posted:

Weren't there two PS2 Arc games? Twilight of the Spirits and End of Darkness.

Twilight of the Spirits was an actual plot-sequel and End of Darkness technically was but was actually this weird lovely card-focused game.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Twilight of the Spirits was pretty good, the story is a bit bunker but what can you expect of an jrpg.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only thing I remember about Arc the Lad for PS2 was that one of them had a final boss who lasted like an hour.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Barudak posted:

The only thing I remember about Arc the Lad for PS2 was that one of them had a final boss who lasted like an hour.
Twilight of the Spirits? More like 2 hours. It was pretty ridiculous.

I bought it on a whim years ago and wound up mostly liking it, as far as I can remember.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Twilight of the Spirits? More like 2 hours. It was pretty ridiculous.

I bought it on a whim years ago and wound up mostly liking it, as far as I can remember.

Yeah Twilight of the Spirits. It just wouldn't end. My friend showed it off to me because it was so ridiculous.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
What's a good RPG that I can play in 10-30 minute chunks without getting lost in the story/gameplay mechanics. PC or PS3. Anime tolerability index is Valkyria Chronicles.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

This Jacket Is Me posted:

What's a good RPG that I can play in 10-30 minute chunks without getting lost in the story/gameplay mechanics. PC or PS3. Anime tolerability index is Valkyria Chronicles.

It seems like you're in the market for a RPG like Peace Walker, and I wish that existed. The Vita might have something.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Phantasium posted:

It's a lot goofier than the first two games in the series. I ended up liking it a lot, but I know that most people didn't enjoy it as much. The new sprite style is really ugly though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

tenderjerk posted:

I like both series a lot despite some dumb plot elements and the general grindiness of the first. The fake-internet and fake-forums are just cool, and I actually enjoyed the overarching plot of the first game and some parts of the second game. Honestly, just give the first game in each series a try. If you don't enjoy it by the first game, you probably won't enjoy the later ones, so you can easily judge from that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bleusilences posted:

Twilight of the Spirits was pretty good, the story is a bit bunker but what can you expect of an jrpg.
Honest, Twilight of the Spirits' plot is kind of frustrating because half the game is focused on a party of demons/monsters that all have at least sort of cool designs and neat personalities. It's nothing amazing, but it's at least fun and fresh.

And then the other half is focused on the most whitebread generic RPG protagonists imaginable.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Barudak posted:

The only thing I remember was some raddish or turnip turning into a 'sexy' raddish or turnip near the end of the game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The Arc The Lad games are great because Poco is in it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Honestly, the first two really have the rest beat for a fun cast. III kinda works but all the characters you liked are now brief cameos and you're stuck with Annoying Teen Protagonist.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Honestly, the first two really have the rest beat for a fun cast. III kinda works but all the characters you liked are now brief cameos and you're stuck with Annoying Teen Protagonist.

It's been years since I've played it but I don't recall Alec being all that annoying. Though in comparison I suppose Arc and Elk were both adults, which is rare for JRPGs. Plus III has Valhart. He was pretty boss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

It's been years since I've played it but I don't recall Alec being all that annoying. Though in comparison I suppose Arc and Elk were both adults, which is rare for JRPGs. Plus III has Valhart. He was pretty boss.

I can't remember the exact timeskip between Arc 1 and Arc II but Arc himself is around 16 in the first game. Elc is 14-15 years old in Arc II.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 7, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rascyc posted:

The only thing I remember was some raddish or turnip turning into a 'sexy' raddish or turnip near the end of the game

What the...? I'm pretty sure I beat that game and I have no memory of this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lotish posted:

What the...? I'm pretty sure I beat that game and I have no memory of this.

There is an old and withered plant-woman monster who joins your party. Later on she turns (or returns) into a young plant woman monster instead.

She goes from

to

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Haha, that hag radish is awesome. But Japanese game companies have a hard time leaving anything un-sexified.