Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jaxyon posted:

Except, Obama is a calm normal dude, and Trump is fundamentally unable to be wrong or lose at anything

Not that it's likely, but it's quite a bit more believable under Trump.

If he loses in 2020 I fully expect him to refuse to concede and throw a giant hissy fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Raskolnikov38 posted:

your adjunct professor is a dick

though it probably was the right call :smith:

That's a good thing. I'd be incredibly dishonest for a tenured professor to encourage going into a field with very little prospects. Nothing like talking to former lawyers turned Political Science professors about how Law School is a bad idea nowadays.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
teaching is a prospect, just not a very good one

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
The Central Valley is looking at a week (or more) of 100-plus degree temperatures starting Friday. I know you can't point at any single weather event and call it climate change, but...goddamn.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

teaching is a prospect, just not a very good one

As someone who is looking to go into the education field, you're telling me.:smith:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Better than retail

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Forceholy posted:

That's a good thing. I'd be incredibly dishonest for a tenured professor to encourage going into a field with very little prospects.

That was the thing. He was an adjunct who was eking out a living teaching at four different campuses including community colleges. He was living the struggle.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

Mister Mind posted:

The Central Valley is looking at a week (or more) of 100-plus degree temperatures starting Friday. I know you can't point at any single weather event and call it climate change, but...goddamn.

I believe in climate change as much as anyone, but that sounds like a typical Central Valley summer to me.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

People said this exact thing about Obama

guys guys what if both sides same

:hurr:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

That was the thing. He was an adjunct who was eking out a living teaching at four different campuses including community colleges. He was living the struggle.

One of my professors in college was incredibly accomplished. Peace Corp, PhD from Princeton, used to be an advisor on foreign policy for the Reagan Administration.

Guy had to teach aerobics classes on top of teaching at various colleges to make ends meet. Even now, when he has tenure, he still teaches at two different universities. Education doesn't mean a drat thing in this country unless it's "useful".

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

stone cold posted:

guys guys what if both sides same

:hurr:

What if it's an absurd hypothetical that's on par with Godwin's Law?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BannedNewbie posted:

I believe in climate change as much as anyone, but that sounds like a typical Central Valley summer to me.

This. Central Valley being hotter than satans rear end in a top hat? yeah that's exactly normal and expected. It's important not to fall into the pitfall "oh my god it's so hot right now in spring, climate change!!" or "its so cold right now in summer, so much for global warming huh lieberals???" or various permutations of it and recognizing climate vs local weather.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

dont be mean to me posted:

Or he tells us to lay down and die and we get the second civil war.

Which I actually wouldn't put past him and his cabinet these days.

well he wants to pull federal funding for the earthquake early warning network for no real reason beyond the state not voting for him, so he kind of already did this

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Panfilo posted:

I dunno, I used to think that, but lately I've been seeing the darker side of it, like the whole gimmick of 'Disruption' and the encouragement of a gig economy and many of the labor-unfriendly practices of the tech sector. Its one thing to get excited about piecework when it is augmenting an $80,000 wage, its another thing when the only available jobs to an unemployed person are 'piecework' that never gets them decent health benefits or steady hours.
I don't think being pro-technology/'disruption' and being for more labor-friendly policies are necessarily at odds. I'm all for better unemployment, better family leave, etc. despite being a filthy techie. Also 'gig economy' stuff, while it's gotten a lot of hype, is still a small fraction of the tech sector, even the startup sector.

quote:

I had thought software engineers were more on the libertarian side; if you are a workaholic and feel like you are being directly rewarded your your talent/skill/effort, it becomes really easy to blame other people for 'not trying hard enough'. Upthread someone mentioned overhearing technbros whining that the Muni bus drivers make about what they make, as if that was somehow unreasonable.
Being a bus driver is a fairly low-skilled job, and if you look at even our nicer-to-the-poor developed peers, I think you'll find their bus drivers making nowhere close to what SF techies make. Of course it's a more reasonable proposition in the bay area since housing costs are insane.

quote:

If they were so liberal, why would they care what someone else makes, vs maybe asking for a raise if they really think they deserve more?
Liberal != communist, most liberals are fine with pay varying based on skill or market demand.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cicero posted:

Being a bus driver is a fairly low-skilled job

Not really, it's just that the skills aren't respected or compensated well.

I can look down on codemonkies as well but society gives them a lot of money and they'll start whining in the thread.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

Not really, it's just that the skills aren't respected or compensated well.

I can look down on codemonkies as well but society gives them a lot of money and they'll start whining in the thread.

Yeah, getting one of those accordion buses through clogged streets without constantly hitting cars feels like a freaking miracle some times

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, getting one of those accordion buses through clogged streets without constantly hitting cars feels like a freaking miracle some times

There aren't many unskilled jobs. There's just skills that society looks down on.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If robots aren't already doing your job, either you have great skills or are underpaid.

Hell even if robots took your job you most likely still have great skills, but the value of the skill happened to crash. For example laying down a flawless weld by hand takes skill that takes years master.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I learned how to drive a bus with about 2 weeks of training. I learned double-decks with another 3 days or so. Really not much knowledge or skill development compared to learning a trade or getting a 4 year degree. Even with rear end in a top hat passengers, it didn't require any analytical skill or physical labor.

Still doesn't mean they shouldn't make a living wage tho

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pay in our society is commensurate with supply and demand, not skill or difficulty. If you want to change that you need a union.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think the bus drivers in San Luis Obispo must get a bonus for every second they spend over the center line while there's traffic coming the other way. Like, I get it, the streets are narrow and you don't want to hit the parked cars, but get the gently caress outta my lane!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Your bus driving skill is built on top of years of regular driving experience. Sure it isn't considered valuable, but can you imagine starting from nothing?

I learned how to write a program that says 'hello world' in an afternoon, a good understanding of variables, and Boolean logic in a few more days and how do do object oriented programming in a few more weeks.

That doesn't make me a competent developer.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Pay in our society is commensurate with supply and demand, not skill or difficulty. If you want to change that you need a union.

Pay is strongly correlated with labor power. Surprise, I know.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I learned how to drive a bus with about 2 weeks of training. I learned double-decks with another 3 days or so. Really not much knowledge or skill development compared to learning a trade or getting a 4 year degree. Even with rear end in a top hat passengers, it didn't require any analytical skill or physical labor.

Still doesn't mean they shouldn't make a living wage tho

What county transit agency is going to let you on the road with 2 weeks of training? Most, if not all County Transit Agencies in the Bay Area require 9 to 11 weeks of training. That's upwards of 3 months they might discover you are a burnout, horrible with passengers, jump every curb and island, don't know how to listen to directions from trainers who have been doing this poo poo for 20+years, start to run over the guy who is just trying to get his bicycle off the bike rack because you're not paying attention, or had a DUI 9.5 years ago because you had one too many 4lokos and didn't fess up when it might be relevant.

Then again, for someone applying for Loop or Veolia, I'm sure 2 weeks of Honest Jim's Buz-drivvin Classes is probably sufficient.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
That drivers for Uber and Lyft don't need training is all the proof I need that driving is simple, easy, and without risk. I very much enjoy putting my life in the hands of strangers for minimum wage and poo poo benefits, thank you very much, because that's what I'm worth.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Your bus driving skill is built on top of years of regular driving experience. Sure it isn't considered valuable, but can you imagine starting from nothing?

I learned how to write a program that says 'hello world' in an afternoon, a good understanding of variables, and Boolean logic in a few more days and how do do object oriented programming in a few more weeks.

That doesn't make me a competent developer.

Fair point but there is an obvious upper limit to experience making one a better driver. There are plenty of people out there that have been driving daily for most of their lives, and yet they still are out to kill me on my bike.

Panfilo posted:

What county transit agency is going to let you on the road with 2 weeks of training? Most, if not all County Transit Agencies in the Bay Area require 9 to 11 weeks of training. That's upwards of 3 months they might discover you are a burnout, horrible with passengers, jump every curb and island, don't know how to listen to directions from trainers who have been doing this poo poo for 20+years, start to run over the guy who is just trying to get his bicycle off the bike rack because you're not paying attention, or had a DUI 9.5 years ago because you had one too many 4lokos and didn't fess up when it might be relevant.

Then again, for someone applying for Loop or Veolia, I'm sure 2 weeks of Honest Jim's Buz-drivvin Classes is probably sufficient.

Yolo County/City of Davis, apparently.

It's weird that you assume I'm lying or received inadequate training. I managed not to maim anyone or destroy property over 3 years.

Admiral Ray posted:

That drivers for Uber and Lyft don't need training is all the proof I need that driving is simple, easy, and without risk. I very much enjoy putting my life in the hands of strangers for minimum wage and poo poo benefits, thank you very much, because that's what I'm worth.

Don't they make less than min wage after depreciation value, gas, other expenses?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I make a pile of money doing a white collar job you could pick up in 2 weeks.

Your job not being automated yet doesn't mean you have high skills.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

At some level it's tautological: every time a job proves resistant to automation, it will rise in our collective esteem, and every time one proves vulnerable, it will drop.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Doc Hawkins posted:

At some level it's tautological: every time a job proves resistant to automation, it will rise in our collective esteem, and every time one proves vulnerable, it will drop.

Sometimes it depends on who's doing it. Computer programming didn't become a prestige job until men took it from women.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm sure people in the service industry are reassured by your statement.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fair point but there is an obvious upper limit to experience making one a better driver. There are plenty of people out there that have been driving daily for most of their lives, and yet they still are out to kill me on my bike.

This is a really bad argument. "Bus drivers are a low skill job because random people don't bother to learn how to not kill people when they drive."

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

It's weird that you assume I'm lying or received inadequate training. I managed not to maim anyone or destroy property over 3 years.

Ahem, a slight correction: seriously maim anyone

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Yolo County/City of Davis, apparently.

Driving a bus in Davis seems at least 5x easier than the Bay Area, let alone SF proper. The majority of the fleet drivers are students so there is probably greater turn over than your standard city.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Sometimes it depends on who's doing it. Computer programming didn't become a prestige job until men took it from women.

CopperHound posted:

I'm sure people in the service industry are reassured by your statement.

I'm not saying status is determined by inautomatability, just that it might be influenced by it. When radiation technicians become an endangered species, I believe people will tend to say that they should have known, or that they weren't doing anything that great if software can do it so much better.

e: I remember where I got this from. A guy called Richard Hamming used to say that he avoided arguments by defining "thinking" as everything we can't program a computer to do. I think people tended to accept that because once we understand how a computer can do some task, we more easily dismiss it as "just following orders" or "just pattern recognition" or "just calculation." So as a result, all else being equal, the more everyone accepts that computers can do some skill, the more that skill would drop in their esteem.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 14, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I look forward to everyone feeling like the pieces of poo poo that they are when AI becomes self aware.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

People will be fine with murdering or enslaving AI for profit.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

People will be fine with murdering or enslaving AI for profit.

Certainly no less fine than they are with doing it to other people already.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

snyprmag posted:

Driving a bus in Davis seems at least 5x easier than the Bay Area, let alone SF proper. The majority of the fleet drivers are students so there is probably greater turn over than your standard city.

I drove charters in Sacramento too, but I guess I'm just No True Busman

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This is a really bad argument. "Bus drivers are a low skill job because random people don't bother to learn how to not kill people when they drive."

That's not my argument. I'm saying that my previous 3 years of Honda Civic experience isn't the same as apprenticing as an electrician for the same amount of time.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I literally couldn't give a poo poo how long their training is. My job training was 2 weeks too, and I'm a techbro, so it's just assumed that I have a valuable skill that deserves loads of money. Bus driving is an unpleasant, unrewarding job that most people do not want to do and it deserves comfortable pay and good benefits -- not just a living wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I literally couldn't give a poo poo how long their training is. My job training was 2 weeks too, and I'm a techbro, so it's just assumed that I have a valuable skill that deserves loads of money. Bus driving is an unpleasant, unrewarding job that most people do not want to do and it deserves comfortable pay and good benefits -- not just a living wage.

100% this. I am not doing a fraction of the good to society that a decent bus driver is.