Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

well why not posted:

I haven't watched Homecoming yet (and these posts are probably best suited for the CB thread) but is he the secret genetically-engineered son of spies and millionaires in that?
Civil War nailed it when his room was full of repurposed/salvaged stuff. Not much of that is in Homecoming, and he does attend a gifted STEM school (presumably under a scholarship or due to his test scores). Theres a lot of stuff that grounds the character, like using school lab equipment for his superhero supplies, his home-crafted costume, and his earnestness/inexperience. His challenges are more of thr awkward/cringey Hughes film variety than Aaaaaaangst.
Closest thing that pulls him out of Working Class Schmoe is his link to superbillionaire Tony Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Did venom really need to be played by notorious weeny Eric Forman

Yes. Absolutely. He was one of the highlights of the film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So while The Emoji Movie was making a big deal about Patrick Stewart as a character apparently he's barely in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So while The Emoji Movie was making a big deal about Patrick Stewart as a character apparently he's barely in it.

Oh. Like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

Oh. Like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

What, Patrick Stewart never shuts the hell up all throughout LoS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Seriously, Lords of Shadow is basically an exteremely lovely audiobook that Stewart reads to you. Then he becomes your best friend after you beat him up, which sadly didnt work in real life when I tried.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

Civil War nailed it when his room was full of repurposed/salvaged stuff. Not much of that is in Homecoming, and he does attend a gifted STEM school (presumably under a scholarship or due to his test scores). Theres a lot of stuff that grounds the character, like using school lab equipment for his superhero supplies, his home-crafted costume, and his earnestness/inexperience. His challenges are more of thr awkward/cringey Hughes film variety than Aaaaaaangst.
Closest thing that pulls him out of Working Class Schmoe is his link to superbillionaire Tony Stark.

Haven't seen the movie but NYC definitely has some very famous STEM magnet schools you can only get in with testing. It's probably the most egalitarian thing about a city that otherwise has a very segregated (by class and race) educational system.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

amazing spider man 2 is so bad that there aren't threads defending it here. that's a whole notha level of bad.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the special effects\ fight sequences in ASM 2 were good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i stand corrected.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Studios will never loving learn. The '89-'97 Batman was the first example of "Stop putting so many villains in the goddamn movies" and yet every series since has loaded 'em up by the third one. It's especially funny when Amazing Spider-Man 2 replicated one of the biggest problems of Spider-Man 3 by having three main villains all fighting for screen time.

They will never learn, even when Batman and Robin was out and we were at peak "why are so many characters in this" there were rumors that for the next one they were going to have Harley Quinn, Scarecrow, and like Firebug or something in the same movie, like, what? Batman Forever and Batman and Robin are just over two hours long too so it's not like they were cut short or anything.

Barudak posted:

Seriously, Lords of Shadow is basically an exteremely lovely audiobook that Stewart reads to you. Then he becomes your best friend after you beat him up, which sadly didnt work in real life when I tried.

The best part was his character mentioning how "I've seen everything" in a serious context. The voice acting in that game is incredible, everyone is in full "gonna chew the gently caress out of this" mode levels of gothic somberness. Like I was surprised Carlyle/McElhone/etc. weren't in Crimson Peak after playing it.

The part in Lords of Shadow 1 where you finally reach that town and Patrick Stewart is running around with you enthusiastically killing vampires is awesome though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I at least remember that Amazing Spider-Man 2 was bad. I've seen the first one three times, start to finish, and I still can't remember a thing about it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just remember the design for the lizard was loving terrible. he looked like a goomba from the mario bros movie.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

i stand corrected.

Being wrong is kinda your "thing"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just remember the design for the lizard was loving terrible. he looked like a goomba from the mario bros movie.

I just looked it up and why does he look crunchy instead of scaly? Like...tempura lizard?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Super Fan posted:

Being wrong is kinda your "thing"

that's a helluva thing to say after your post lmao

Phylodox posted:

I just looked it up and why does he look crunchy instead of scaly? Like...tempura lizard?

i really don't know why they just didn't make him look like a lizard.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 27, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Groovelord Neato posted:

He was meant to transform in the final fight at least to look more traditional. There was also meant to be mindless SWAT lizards rampaging the streets too but you know, time and budget.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/FB_BMB/status/890660725550596096

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm sure the movie sucks but I doubt even one well written review will be produced as it will be a race to trash it the hardest and prove who hated it the best.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Top 14 emojis used to bash The Emoji Movie, number 4 will shock you!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm sure the movie sucks but I doubt even one well written review will be produced as it will be a race to trash it the hardest and prove who hated it the best.

"The Poochie of movies" is pretty good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Looks pretty scaly to me. I think he was supposed to look like the original pre-snout Lizard in the Ditko comics.

Electro was really the best part of ASM2. They actually time his use of powers to the music, and the soundtrack incorporates the crazy voices in his head.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Looks pretty scaly to me. I think he was supposed to look like the original pre-snout Lizard in the Ditko comics.

Electro was really the best part of ASM2. They actually time his use of powers to the music, and the soundtrack incorporates the crazy voices in his head.

Makes me think it was supposed to evoke the human-dinosauroid thought experiment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troodon#The_.22Dinosauroid.22

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The MSJ posted:

He looks like he's got a bad skin condition.

Like, not if a human had a skin condition that made them look like a lizard but if a lizard had a skin condition that made them look weird and crusty.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I at least remember that Amazing Spider-Man 2 was bad. I've seen the first one three times, start to finish, and I still can't remember a thing about it.

how do you not remember the most beautifully forced american flag moment in any superhero movie ever

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

how do you not remember the most beautifully forced american flag moment in any superhero movie ever

I remember The Rocketeer, though?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like the bit in Raimi's Spider-Man where New Yorkers start throwing rocks at Green Goblin, saying "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us."

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I guess this is why Suicide Squad won Best Makeup but ASM did not win Best Visual Effects.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Character of the Year 2016 MTV Movie awards (narrowly beating out the Joker).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

I don't mind the ASM Lizard though. And I thought ASM2 was fine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Groovelord Neato posted:

My guesses are they thought it wouldn't be realistic enough or an alligator face would make it harder for him to emote.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I like the bit in Raimi's Spider-Man where New Yorkers start throwing rocks at Green Goblin, saying "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us."

It was 2002, so I can give that a pass.

Also in the sequel they try that and Doc Ock just goes "k" and slaps them all out of his way.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That was more jarringly unrealistic than any cgi in any of the spider Man movies

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, all he's missing is the lab coat and purple slacks which honestly Amazing Spider-Man 1, you should've gone for

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

That was more jarringly unrealistic than any cgi in any of the spider Man movies

It did feature someone yelling "What the hell is wrong with you?" at a goblin man on a flying glider trying to kill a spiderman, who was, in turn, trying to save a redhead and some children, which is a question that really doesn't get asked often enough.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Super Fan posted:

I thought the special effects\ fight sequences in ASM 2 were good

Yeah, the movie's not good, but it's very pretty.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

got any sevens posted:

1. Ehh, i think any hope for another good terminator has been...terminated
2. Part of me hopes its a Widowmaker story to start the Overwatch cinematic universe, just to see blizz fall on their face again like with warcraft

I can't recommend this book enough https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/144793.Area_7

Matt Reilly is God. Read Seven Deadly Wonders next.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Matthew Reilly is somewhat embarrassing as an Australian, though his stuff really does lend itself to cheesy movies. His first published book is basically Predator if a random human and his daughter were dropped into a free-for-all deathmatch with a bunch of various monstrous aliens. And then there's Hover Car Racer, which is basically an F-Zero novelisation starring a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Everything you need to know about Matthew Reilly is that he sometimes writes the word 'exploded' in italics.

He's a solid airport fiction writer. It's like reading Clancy, except that you don't have to read 700 pages of the author's lovely political/racial/sexual beliefs to get to the gunfights.

• Locked thread