Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lodin posted:

It was only a while back that I found out the reason Lynda Carter does voices for a bunch of ES and Fallout games is because she's married to one of the higher ups at Zenimax. I think she does a decent enough job, it's just kinda weird.

Are... you surprised that nepotism has more influence than other factors?

The lead actor in the fantastic beasts movies is the brother of the guy that was the CEO of Pottermore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lodin posted:

It was only a while back that I found out the reason Lynda Carter does voices for a bunch of ES and Fallout games is because she's married to one of the higher ups at Zenimax. I think she does a decent enough job, it's just kinda weird.

One of the weirdest parts of Fallout 4 was hearing a woman with dentures sing about giving the boys handjobs, on the radio.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theflyingorc posted:

Let's name it after somewhere much less prestigious

The Oxnard comma

The Oxnard Montalvo comma?

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

meowing sounds of godzilla violence

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Let's name it after somewhere much less prestigious

The Oxnard comma

The Jacksonville comma

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The general rumour about Norton is that he always wants more creative control over everything he does and gets lovely when he doesn't get it.

If American History X is any indication, Norton should get more creative control.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The General posted:

If American History X is any indication, Norton should get more creative control.

Yeah, but how long are you willing to entertain an actor who was hired to do his part of the movie, and then goes to the publicity run calling the entire production a poo poo-show because he wasn't allowed to take over the director, composer, editor and scriptwriter jobs?

No wonder he is stuck with Bruce Willis, the guy does not give a gently caress and just cashes his paycheck.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One of the weirdest parts of Fallout 4 was hearing a woman with dentures sing about giving the boys handjobs, on the radio.

I was just going to make a joke about the sexy singer in Goodneighbor sounding like Anne Ramsay from The Goonies

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really love Norton as an actor but he sounds pretty terrible irl

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s a reason why the term “Nortoned” is part of Hollywood lingo now

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
So I take it that Edward Norton's role in Birdman (2014) is more or less just how he acts in real life?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

So I take it that Edward Norton's role in Birdman (2014) is more or less just how he acts in real life?

My understanding is more or less yes. And only reason why Norton took the job was to make him "able to laugh at his behavior", so a career-saving Hail Mary more or less.

But to get back into the topic from the rear end in a top hat actor-chat I started here is a picture:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Norton wants to be a Serious Actor™ so I think he comes off as a snob to a lot of people but you have to wonder if he regrets jumping off the MCU train before it could have made him unimaginably wealthy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

Norton wants to be a Serious Actor™ so I think he comes off as a snob to a lot of people but you have to wonder if he regrets jumping off the MCU train before it could have made him unimaginably wealthy

I think he just IS a snob

Like, he is an excellent actor and super learned and intelligent and all that so it's perhaps earned in some way, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant

Death to Smoochy is like a perfect movie and I WILL fight and die on this hill

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I still haven't seen that movie and everyone I know keeps telling me it's amazing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Bloop posted:

Death to Smoochy is like a perfect movie and I WILL fight and die on this hill

I loving love that movie. It's so goddamn good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still haven't seen that movie and everyone I know keeps telling me it's amazing.

I watched it because goons kept raving about it, it was pretty good, but didn't see what all the fuss was about.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

I watched it because goons kept raving about it, it was pretty good, but didn't see what all the fuss was about.

It has heart and great actors (and Jon Stewart who is a terrible actor) and great comedy - of course, comedy is always going to be subjective

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

“This all goes a lot deeper than you think, Jerry.”
“It goes deeper than I think? What goes deeper than I think?”
“Tell Jerry about the Illuminati”
“Oh Jerry knows about the Illuminati!”
“I know about the Illuminati?”
“Yoooou know about the Illuminati.”
“They’re from Bavaria, Jerry.”
“Bavarians?”
“Bavarians, Jerry.”
“What’s the deal with Bavaria?”

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

its an ok movie, but that opinion isnt very spicy and postable

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

He didn't voluntarily leave, he got the boot.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He didn't voluntarily leave, he got the boot.

If I recall he got the boot because he was pushy and demanding more creative control. So it's still a thing where if he went along for the ride he'd have been kept on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shoulda waited for a higher level before pushing for creative

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I still like him
Charisma cubed

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I watched a Colbert interview with Billy Boyd, who plays Pippin in the Lord of the Rings movies.
He says on literally day one of filming, they're filming the scene in Fellowship where they all tumble down the hill onto the road with stolen vegetables in tow.
After doing one take, Billy Boyd says to Peter Jackson "Hey, I have an idea. It would be funny if when they all land, they narrowly miss a pile of horse poo poo, and Pippin says something like 'Well, that was lucky!'"
They're on location, filming on a hiking trail outside Wellington. Peter asks one of the WETA prop guys if he has what he needs to quickly whip up some prop horse poo poo. Prop guy says he can do it. Then they do another take, with that scene.

Billy Boyd said that it was one of the first times he had spoken to Peter Jackson, and he's this actor giving him notes, and he agrees right away. Unsurprisingly, he said that Peter was a dream to work with.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A day may come, when I will have heard enough anecdotes about the filming of LOTR. But it is not this day!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

canyoneer posted:

I watched a Colbert interview with Billy Boyd, who plays Pippin in the Lord of the Rings movies.
He says on literally day one of filming, they're filming the scene in Fellowship where they all tumble down the hill onto the road with stolen vegetables in tow.
After doing one take, Billy Boyd says to Peter Jackson "Hey, I have an idea. It would be funny if when they all land, they narrowly miss a pile of horse poo poo, and Pippin says something like 'Well, that was lucky!'"
They're on location, filming on a hiking trail outside Wellington. Peter asks one of the WETA prop guys if he has what he needs to quickly whip up some prop horse poo poo. Prop guy says he can do it. Then they do another take, with that scene.

Billy Boyd said that it was one of the first times he had spoken to Peter Jackson, and he's this actor giving him notes, and he agrees right away. Unsurprisingly, he said that Peter was a dream to work with.

Powerful Pippin energy

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold

canyoneer posted:

Whoa, I was today years old when I realized this is a poop joke. I always assumed he narrowly missed faceplanting into a sharp rock.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh, you mean the guy who played Anton in Space Milkshake?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c282VG971C0

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Phy posted:

A day may come, when I will have heard enough anecdotes about the filming of LOTR. But it is not this day!

https://www.austin360.com/story/entertainment/movies-tv/2021/03/05/alamo-drafthouse-lord-rings-stephen-colbert-austin-reunion/4592778001/

It was at that event, Alamo Drafthouse screening of the movies with interviews afterwards.

Some other fun ones:
Billy Boyd says that he gets asked about second breakfast literally every day of his life, and surprisingly, doesn't get tired of hearing it because he absolutely loved that gag.
After being cast as Samwise, Sean Astin asked if he could be considered for Aragorn. He said the casting director snorted laughing and said no. He also said that at the time he was cast he had just finished his degree in American literature, and had literally never heard of Lord of the Rings ("it's English!")
Cate Blanchett was warned by a trusted person in Hollywood to not take the role of Galadriel, because "it's 3 weeks of your life in New Zealand, and nobody's going to see the elf movies." She also made a habit of picking up and keeping discarded elf-ear prosthetic tips from the set, and the crew teased her for it and made her a very special metal cast of her ear and elf ears.
John Rhys Davies had it written into his contract that he wanted a comfortable recliner everywhere they filmed, so the helicopters hauled up a big leather la-z-boy for him on all the shots on location.
There was a guy the cast described as "some hermit living in California" who they would call at all hours of the night for questions on pronunciation for the elf language parts. They already had two lore experts on the crew at all times, but this guy was the expert among experts.
Orlando Bloom was told he was cast in the role of Legolas 2 weeks before he was set to graduate acting school. He also amassed a huge collection of props and memorabilia by just writing letters and asking the prop guys for stuff.
When they filmed the battle scenes at Amon Hen, Viggo Mortensen had already done a lot of choreography to prepare for orc slaying with some of the key stunt players. It was miserably hot that day, and all the stunt guys were now in full costume, rubber orc suits. So now that it's time to film, they've filled out the orc army and he can't recognize who he had practiced his choreography with and doesn't want to bash a poor extra with his sword. He asked the stunt coordinators what to do and one said "well, the ones who are running past you, just let them run past. The ones that are running at you, those are the guys you practiced with, so hit them". The other coordinator said "ehh, they're all professionals and their costumes are padded. Don't worry, hit all of them."

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I think the good actor vs pain-in-the-rear end actor difference would be if the prop guy had said they didn't have the stuff on hand. Pain-in-the-rear end actor wants to delay/come back later to shoot it, good actor lets it go.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Foxfire_ posted:

I think the good actor vs pain-in-the-rear end actor difference would be if the prop guy had said they didn't have the stuff on hand. Pain-in-the-rear end actor wants to delay/come back later to shoot it, good actor lets it go.

A piece of poo poo actor, on the other hand, could have just got himself another small part in the movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Powerful Pippin energy

Pippin ain't easy

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The original had audio but I removed it because it was awful:

https://i.imgur.com/h450lTj.mp4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

canyoneer posted:

After being cast as Samwise, Sean Astin asked if he could be considered for Aragorn. He said the casting director snorted laughing and said no. He also said that at the time he was cast he had just finished his degree in American literature, and had literally never heard of Lord of the Rings ("it's English!")

What the gently caress

I've gone all this time having heard and taken on faith that Sean Astin was a huge Tolkien nerd and that being cast as Sam was like the culmination of his life. What

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

canyoneer posted:

Now this is shitposting!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Data Graham posted:

What the gently caress

I've gone all this time having heard and taken on faith that Sean Astin was a huge Tolkien nerd and that being cast as Sam was like the culmination of his life. What
I thought the default joke was "I'm supposed to believe Rudy read a book?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Trabant posted:

The original had audio but I removed it because it was awful:

https://i.imgur.com/h450lTj.mp4

Now this is the type of man a sister would be proud to be married to.