Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shhh, you're all ruining my car flipping secret!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Found out I had the hood squeak something fierce. Grabbed some of those felt furniture movers for a buck. Perfect fit on top of those rubber hood stops. Squeak is about 95% gone. Pulled the plug to the door "chime" as well. Sweet, sweet relief for my ears.

What do you guys do for batteries? I read that the O Reilly 51r72 was a good battery; about 100 more CCAs and requires very minor modifications to fit. I went to pick one up but found out they only had the 51r72j which did not have the vents. They called in to another store and said they couldn't source one with the vents. :(

Also, "2twisty" flush ((idle car with 3qt ATF, 1qt SAE 50 for 1.5 hours, flush with kerosene (optional) )) for noisy lifters on start up, yay or nay?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Batteries Plus sells a Duracell or Rayovac branded one for pretty cheap.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

AF posted:

Also, "2twisty" flush ((idle car with 3qt ATF, 1qt SAE 50 for 1.5 hours, flush with kerosene (optional) )) for noisy lifters on start up, yay or nay?

This sounds like a horrible idea.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
A mysterious box arrived. This was inside.

It's a journal bearing. Should I be able to spin the compressor wheel by hand? It turns, but has too much friction to spin on its own.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Miata pricing follows no known rules of economics. After I bought my Miata I started seeing shitloads of really ratty ones getting dumped for much less than I paid and all the really expensive garage queens dried up.

I saw one Miata that was asking $5000 get sold and then relisted by the new owner at $3000.

Confirming this. I bought my '09 GT new in Dec '09 for $23000. I sold it in Oct '11 with 24000 miles on it for $20000.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

saint gerald posted:

A mysterious box arrived. This was inside.

It's a journal bearing. Should I be able to spin the compressor wheel by hand? It turns, but has too much friction to spin on its own.

It should spin freely. You won't be able to really spin it much to get it to spin on its own but you shouldn't feel any real resistance as it goes around. See if there's a rough spot, but it's probably fine and just needs oil.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

AF posted:

Jesus Christ no. Noisy lifter start up is normal for all NA Miatas get used to it.

If you want to clean the motor out run synthetic Rotella for a change cycle, then go back to 10w30.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I just switched from unknown black as night dino to royal purple 10w30 and now my NA engine sounds smooth as hell. Could also be the new plugs+wires but I am sure the synthetic played a small part.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
OK, will stay away from that idea. Thanks again.

For any Bay Area people, here's a '97 with 20k miles for 4.3k: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3663128505.html

VVV :downs: I don't know my special editions. Edited, thanks

AF fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 7, 2013

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AF posted:

OK, will stay away from that idea. Thanks again.

For any Bay Area people, here's a '97M with 20k miles for 4.3k: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3663128505.html

That's not an M or has been painted.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's been painted since 97's didn't come in yellow. Could be an M though, it's got the lovely shiny wheels.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
looks like it might have a hard dog x-brace roll bar too.
I'm not sure how the hell that roll bar works with a glass-window top.

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus, someone just listed an 05 MSM with 16K miles on it for $16K. A dollar a mile isn't bad! That is, incidentally more than I paid for the 6.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Jesus, someone just listed an 05 MSM with 16K miles on it for $16K. A dollar a mile isn't bad! That is, incidentally more than I paid for the 6.

Go on miataturbo, and buy a better turbo Miata for less than half that. Stop wasting your time looking for MS Miatas.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larrymer posted:

Go on miataturbo, and buy a better turbo Miata for less than half that. Stop wasting your time looking for MS Miatas.

This. They're god awful cars.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Phone posted:

This is the first I've heard of that. What would you say is so awful about them?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Various other posters have said it's actually quite a good car if you do a few minor mods.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Various other posters have said it's actually quite a good car if you do a few minor mods.

They aren't awful but I'd rather buy an already turbo'd Miata instead of spend 15k on a MSM + the extra money to fix the issues

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

They aren't awful but I'd rather buy an already turbo'd Miata instead of spend 15k on a MSM + the extra money to fix the issues

1. I don't trust my skills to turbo it myself.

2. I don't want to buy a potential hackjob someone else put together and then dumped off.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
They're pretty awesome. Definitely have their flaws but it's basically the best Miata ever made by Mazda.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

No they're not. MSM's are for people that want a reliabale factory turbo Miata.

How they're awful is beyond me, it's still a Miata the last time I checked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

No they're not. MSM's are for people that want a reliabale factory turbo Miata.

How they're awful is beyond me, it's still a Miata the last time I checked.

Because the internet says so. By that reasoning my MS6 is a bad car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The ignition cut is at 6500 RPM, the boost spools at 4000, and in order to get anything that resembles power you need to replace the entire turbo system with something aftermarket.

My parents own one. It's a nice car, but it's annoying as poo poo to drive.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
The MSM is a great car if you're allergic to wrenches and can't read an internet forum. Buy an NB for 5k, spend 3k on turbo parts and have a much, much better car.

destructo fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 8, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well in that case horrible is relative, Phone's parents seem to enjoy it.

And if Ryno would enjoy it who gives a gently caress really?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm also looking for ease of initial ownership here, I don't want another huge project to tackle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also destructo failed to mention labor costs and tuning which will run another couple grand or more. And good luck finding a shop that will do it right and back up their work.

If you don't want to gently caress with turboing a Miata yourself it's not a cheap upgrade whatsoever.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Plus suspension and seats and chassis bracing and everything else you get with an MSM.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is pretty much what I learned from you guys in my thread and in my other forum browsing. I am enjoying how divided this thread is over it though!

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

leica posted:

Also destructo failed to mention labor costs and tuning which will run another couple grand or more. And good luck finding a shop that will do it right and back up their work.

If you don't want to gently caress with turboing a Miata yourself it's not a cheap upgrade whatsoever.
Remember the part where I said "allergic to wrenches"? Tuning is a couple hundred at most to get spark optimized, fueling you can do yourself in a couple hours. $2000 for a BEGI-S kit, another $1000 for Megasquirt, injectors and a clutch and you're good to go. If you can do a timing belt, you can install a turbo, I'm mechanically retarded and I figured it out just fine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We're not talking about you though, we're talking about Ryno who he said he doesn't want to gently caress with installing turbo kits.

I would install a turbo/charger/ITB kit just fine, you don't have to talk me into it ;)

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

destructo posted:

Remember the part where I said "allergic to wrenches"? Tuning is a couple hundred at most to get spark optimized, fueling you can do yourself in a couple hours. $2000 for a BEGI-S kit, another $1000 for Megasquirt, injectors and a clutch and you're good to go. If you can do a timing belt, you can install a turbo, I'm mechanically retarded and I figured it out just fine.

This setup won't pass smog if you care about that kind of thing.

If the cause of the salvage title really isn't so bad, this could be a pretty good deal: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3599821418.html

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 8, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

"holds a salvage title due to some scratches on the fender, bumper, headlight and a headlight replacement"

Haha.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Wouldn't gently caress with a salvage title Miata, there's no point when there are so many clean ones available

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

leica posted:

Jesus Christ no. Noisy lifter start up is normal for all NA Miatas get used to it.

If you want to clean the motor out run synthetic Rotella for a change cycle, then go back to 10w30.

This. Although I just run Rotella T6 5w40 all year round. 1.6 with a JRSC M45.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Does Rotella T6 do anything special (compared to other synthetics)? I run Mobil 1 and still get some lifter tick every now and then.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

8th-samurai posted:

Does Rotella T6 do anything special (compared to other synthetics)? I run Mobil 1 and still get some lifter tick every now and then.

It isn't a shadow of its former self and isn't riding on its accolades of the past.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Nodoze posted:

Wouldn't gently caress with a salvage title Miata, there's no point when there are so many clean ones available

I got my '97 with a salvage title and it seems fine, it was only $1,200 and it makes me care even less about beating on it or blowing it up on track - however I do wonder what happened to it, the PO had it for 100K miles (it has 200 now) and never had an issue. I am too cheap to carfax it, that $35 could buy a tank of gas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Nodoze posted:

The 95m I bought with 40k on it was salvage. The guy who bought it from auction and owned it before me (also owns a body shop) showed me the damage, it was a cracked bumper and what ever that plastic bit is between the truck and the bumper was cracked as well. Supposidly there was some damage to the diff cover but Ive been in, out, and all over that car and cant find any evidence of a wreck.

TLDR: I bought a super clean salvage 95m with 40k on it for around 4.2 and have no regrets 20k miles and several track days later.