Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Shameproof posted:

I fiddled around with Reactive Extensions for C# and it's pretty neato. It changes event subscriptions into variables that sort of represent a garden hose that sprays events. You screw different nozzles onto the garden hose.

E: imagine four eventargs on the edge of a cliff.

are they anything like golang's channels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cocoa Crispies posted:

assuming it's the same poo poo as ironruby: typical microsoft project follow-through (lack thereof)

that and it didn't see much adoption as the java ports. third party library components tend to be the missing feature.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Now I want to make my pi-calculus language again. tef, fancy writing me a parser because I am lazy?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

WHOIS John Galt posted:

are they anything like golang's channels?

iirc rx is billed as 'linq for events'. if you imagine that iterators are 'pull based' computation, you can sorta imagine that observers are 'push based'.

this is the whole 'the iterator is the dual of the observer' (and for those following at home, one of the big differences between python and ruby)

anyway, you can do similar sorts of operations on both. what rx does is allow you to use the linq methods to chain up stuff for observers.

or i'm talking out of my butt

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Zombywuf posted:

Now I want to make my pi-calculus language again. tef, fancy writing me a parser because I am lazy?

sure. write me the grammar in prolog and i'll send you a parser

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zombywuf posted:

make it a toenail clipping language

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Linq is the best

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

threading isn't just broken, it's so broken than Google, Inc. couldn't fix it with practically infinite budget: unladen swallow first abandoned plans to extract the GIL, and then scaled back plans for JIT or GC fixes, then just gave up entirely on all their project goals

there are other reasons why python isn't a great language for just in time compilation. unladen swallow was a small experiment that failed, and was anticipated heavily by readers of reddit and hacker news, waiting for some new aspect of the gil to complain about.

quote:

the alternative plan was "Go." Google found it easier to develop a brand new compiled language in-house than to fix the most obvious bugs in python

this post seems to imply that you think google is making these decisions at a very high level.

i was under the impression that a bunch of old plan9 diehards working at google, hated using c++ and python to write simple network services. so they took a bit of plan9 c, limbo, and alef and mashed it together with a static type system built around interfaces.

quote:

also: garbage collection. every python program leaks memory because python uses refcounting. python uses refcounting because guido didn't want to break c module compatibility in like 1996.

also c coders are terrible and it turns out refcounting and a big lock means they don't have to think too hard about making code that works.

it turns out people other than web developers use python, and as such are wedded to c-module compatibility. breaking the abi is telling your users and developers to go gently caress themselves.

then again, you can look at ruby for the success of getting c programmers to write gc-friendly code http://timetobleed.com/the-broken-promises-of-mrireeyarv/ (i.e by sprinkling magic volatile dust over the code)

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Jonny 290 posted:

regardless i think that we all can agree that the answer to "what is perl 5's replacement?" will never be "perl 6"

dont be mean :L

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

then again, you can look at ruby for the success of getting c programmers to write gc-friendly code http://timetobleed.com/the-broken-promises-of-mrireeyarv/ (i.e by sprinkling magic volatile dust over the code)

the worst parts of ruby & python: they're written in c by c programmers

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
perl 5 is used in enterprise. it will never die. nor will the local copy ever be upgraded.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the worst parts of ruby & python: they're written in c by c programmers

ergo pypy is the best :toot:

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Use rubinius then

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I don't like python...it just doesn't get me hot like Scala can

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also theres no official spec for ruby? So just copy and replace some lisp poo poo and claim its a new ruby

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

0xB16B00B5 posted:

Also theres no official spec for ruby? So just copy and replace some lisp poo poo and claim its a new ruby

there is a standard for ruby 1.8 :toot:

you still have to read the ruby source code to understand what it does :toot:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

gucci void main posted:

intellij idea 12 is out!!!

:barf:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

0xB16B00B5 posted:

Use rubinius then

bundle exec rake 2.97s user 0.21s system 99% cpu 3.199 total

RBXOPT=-X19 bundle exec rake 6.27s user 0.29s system 126% cpu 5.197 total

that's p. decent, only about half as fast

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

tef posted:

perl 5 is used in enterprise. it will never die.
good, perl 6 is madness

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

tef posted:

ergo pypy is the best :toot:

i want to write a perl 6 implementation in perl6 and call it pepe :3

but that would take years so, no

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

gucci void main posted:

intellij idea 12 is out!!!

paying money for a java ide

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Gazpacho posted:

good, perl 6 is madness

ya i know! its like, perl 5 plus built in moose and like, some better syntax and poo poo. crazy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

TiMBuS posted:

i want to write a perl 6 implementation in perl6 and call it pepe :3

but that would take years so, no

you could write it in a subset of perl first :v: and then you could compile it to an all new intermeditary format without a vm for it.

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

haaaaa :(

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

do it. you've found your life's purpose. nothing else you in do in your life could possibly be more important than this.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Jerry SanDisky posted:

paying money for a java ide

Oracled once again

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

twenty years from now people will reverently quote your listserv posts in their v-mail sigs and on Google++. there will be bugs, theorems, and folklore with your name. your dumb family and stuff will wither and decay, but your legacy of implementing perl6 in perl6 will live on.

do it you pussy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

WHOIS John Galt posted:

do it. you've found your life's purpose. nothing else you in do in your life could possibly be more important than this.

yes. you could call the language 'Not Yet Perl', (NYP), and call the the vm after that april fools joke about a vm for perl and python, what was it called.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TiMBuS posted:

dont be mean :L

disclaimer: i have one

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

now it doeosnt take a fool to know youre making a joke at me, horse man and tef, but i could swear that if i read between the lines.. maybe youre trying to encourage me??

Jonny 290 posted:

disclaimer: i have one

a really neat well organized set of tools?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it wasnt really a nuanced barb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jonny 290 posted:

it wasnt really a nuanced barb

neither is your mother

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

you could write it in a subset of perl first :v: and then you could compile it to an all new intermeditary format without a vm for it.

so glad #cobol talked me out of contributing to parrot

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

neither is your mother

my name is also barb

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
writin state machines at work left n right, life owns :toot:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

that is the good news. even when/if perl 6 is ready, no-one will use it.

people hate complete breaks!

ruby 1.9 changed a bunch of stuff for unicode and didn't really make things easier, just possible, because japanese users have to deal with hosed up systems (lots of mixed encodings, even in file paths).

ruby 2.0 was close to adding a new feature which would have broken lots of things, and it got to the point where some of the non-mri implementations were calling for mutiny.

meanwhile, python3 didn't really change much in total (with some of the changes backported), but changed the language and the abi at the same time. this created a new chicken and egg problem, so third party library authors had to be hounded into porting their code across, in order to entice users.

people hate backwards and forwards incompatibility.

when you write a new incompatible version of your language, you are forking it. migration is hindered when you user base rely on third party components.

often it is just as easy to move to a different language than to move to a newer version. (c.f that boeing study arguing that changing more than 25% is about as buggy as replacing wholesale)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Otto Skorzeny posted:

so glad #cobol talked me out of contributing to parrot

turing tar pits are everywhere in programming language implementation

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
inspired by earlier python chat

made a markov chain generator for jerkcity dialog here

sample output:

quote:

BILLIONS TO YOUR WITNESS I KEEP IN FACT POKER IS JERKCITY GETS YOU TALENTLESS FAT GUY ONLY SEE SSH AND WE NEED SOMEONE TO CLINTON'S COCK FOLLOWED CLOSELY AND MELTING INTO THE F)(*DV:#JDFLS

GOVERNOR'S PRIVATE DICKLICKER

ENOUGH HAULGHALGHALUHGLAHG

FADING FAST OVER !!! HUG-A-LUG-AH

VIBRATIONS RESONATE THROUGH THE FIRST I WILL SUCK IN PLACE ME MORE LIKE SMTP TO LICK DICK ??? WE CAN CD INTO A MONTH AT THE NEXT TIME REALLY POKING AND SOMETIMES WHOLE LIFE (SO DON'T ORDER MOTHERFUCKER DON'T WANT TO PRICKS WILLYA

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

tef posted:

ruby 1.9 changed a bunch of stuff for unicode and didn't really make things easier, just possible, because japanese users have to deal with hosed up systems (lots of mixed encodings, even in file paths).

ruby 2.0 was close to adding a new feature which would have broken lots of things, and it got to the point where some of the non-mri implementations were calling for mutiny.

meanwhile, python3 didn't really change much in total (with some of the changes backported), but changed the language and the abi at the same time. this created a new chicken and egg problem, so third party library authors had to be hounded into porting their code across, in order to entice users.

when you write a new incompatible version of your language, you are forking it. migration is hindered when you user base rely on third party components.

often it is just as easy to move to a different language than to move to a newer version. (c.f that boeing study arguing that changing more than 25% is about as buggy as replacing wholesale)

perl 6 isnt designed to be an upgrade path from 5. its also not designed to replace 5.
backkwards compat is just going to be done by embedding perl5 in it (this is sort of already done)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

tef posted:

the only thing in ruby 1.9 they added that i know i hate is the symbol: value hash, because a lot of times you end up seeing symbol: :symbol and it looks ugly as sin. i don't know why anyone uses it when :symbol => value is so much clearer and you only use like two more characters