Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

EBB posted:

I've had this happen so many loving times it's the only outcome here besides him failing to get the bus.

How about when both the bus and driver are there but the dispatch is locked in the BMO's office and he's nowhere to be found?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's okay, the bus is deadlined anyways.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Whatever happened to just putting a solid 30 people in the back of a 5 ton?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
A drill sergeant in my sister company during basic packed 70 privates in the back of a stake bed pickup truck to drive them to church. It flipped on the way back and amputated some fingers, broke some bones, cracked a couple skulls and a broken back.

The news article said it was a bus but it wasn't, it was a stake bed pick up. Marched by the aftermath on the way to the DFAC. Dazed and bloody privates everywhere.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Lmao

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mustang posted:

A drill sergeant in my sister company during basic packed 70 privates in the back of a stake bed pickup truck to drive them to church. It flipped on the way back and amputated some fingers, broke some bones, cracked a couple skulls and a broken back.

The news article said it was a bus but it wasn't, it was a stake bed pick up. Marched by the aftermath on the way to the DFAC. Dazed and bloody privates everywhere.

And this is why I sold the previous guy my poo poo from LCAC and didn’t join hoooooah.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

White Chocolate posted:

Hey anybody have a good site where one can purchase those new nike sf boots for less than $150? I thought I saw a site but I feel like I could get them for a lot cheaper. It’s time to trash all my acu poo poo.

Nike stopped doing the legit active duty discount (you could cheat it) and now just charge full price. No where else side from a few IRL stores had them either.

The new Nike SFB sucks poo poo anyway, poo poo wore out in 18 months of POG life (gravel walking mostly). I'm all about Belleville Minimil if I'm going to get light duty boots, since they're cheaper and way more comfy, and they wear out in the same time.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Wasabi the J posted:

The new Nike SFB sucks poo poo anyway, poo poo wore out in 18 months of POG life (gravel walking mostly).

Yeah this is what I heard about all the Nike boots back in the day and why I never bothered, personally.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The old one was comfy and light so it wearing out was expected. The new one is ALL LEATHER and allegedly more durable, but with the added expense of more weight, less breathability and less overall comfort.

I don't know if it was the weight or the new sole design, but the new boots ended up making my arches and knees ache by the end of a long day on my feet, and this is coming from someone who can wear regular army issue dress shoes for an all day event with no problems.

This combined with the dubious gain in durability makes it a bad buy to me.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 2, 2018

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Valtonen posted:

Our BN CSM came to visit us. Every time I see him do anything I get more assured BN CSMs could just be replaced by taking a random drunk hobo, putting him/her into uniform and told that he/she is the most important enlisted person in the battalion and let loose. Even more so If the selected drunk hobo has any sort of untreated mental challenge.

Our new squadron CSM just got a DUI coming through the gate a week before he was set to take over

Dude rules

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I never, in my entire life, thought I'd say this: Hawaii sucks.

From the vantage point of Pohakuloa, anyway. Place is like a low budget Mars.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Suntan Boy posted:

I never, in my entire life, thought I'd say this: Hawaii sucks.

From the vantage point of Pohakuloa, anyway. Place is like a low budget Mars.

Enjoy the vog.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The old Nikes were loving awesome and felt like a pair of sneakers with bonus ankle support (no surprise there). 10/10 would wear them out every year again.

e: They are also super quiet. :ninja:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Wasabi the J posted:

The old one was comfy and light so it wearing out was expected. The new one is ALL LEATHER and allegedly more durable, but with the added expense of more weight, less breathability and less overall comfort.

I don't know if it was the weight or the new sole design, but the new boots ended up making my arches and knees ache by the end of a long day on my feet, and this is coming from someone who can wear regular army issue dress shoes for an all day event with no problems.

This combined with the dubious gain in durability makes it a bad buy to me.

The all leather SFBs were the loving poo poo, but I put Superfeet insoles in everything I own anyway. They stood up to regular wear and tear, field use, etc just fine for me and worked like a dream for rucks. Seriously, with the insoles swapped they were probably the most comfortable things I've ever worn for actually walking around in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
hmmm I keep meaning to get Superfeet. That could have been the source of the soreness.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just use the issue boots. The army wouldn't give them to you if they weren't good.

-Vahakyla, probably

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm the weirdo whose feet work very well in issue boots. They're always available and pretty cheap and I don't give a gently caress about Army Boot Fashion.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

McNally posted:

Enjoy the vog.

After a couple weeks of crazy unobstructed wind, I'm willing to trade for light suffocation.

New experimental jungle uniforms are the poo poo, though. Lightweight and comfy. Kind of miss my zipper shoulder pockets when in turtle mode.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The all leather SFBs were the loving poo poo, but I put Superfeet insoles in everything I own anyway. They stood up to regular wear and tear, field use, etc just fine for me and worked like a dream for rucks. Seriously, with the insoles swapped they were probably the most comfortable things I've ever worn for actually walking around in.

these? https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals/trailblazer-comfort

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Just use the issue boots. The army wouldn't give them to you if they weren't good.

-Vahakyla, probably

This gunnery just saw my second pair of basic issue boots expire, free chicken lasted for 2 years. For free theyre not THAT bad. Gonna definitely try to find sneakers next tho.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Be careful buying SuperFeet insoles on Amazon. I've seen more than one report/review of people getting knockoffs from Amazon vendors.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My issue boots caused the outside of my big toes to lose feeling. After switching to non-standard issue boots I gained feeling in my big toes about 6 months later.

Garmont T8's are my go to field boots and for everything else I wear Danner Tachyons.

I've heard the new Nikes are really good. The old ones hurt the back of my heel when I tried them on.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I don't know how I did it but I went 6 years only buying one uniform and one pair of boots, and I was an infantryman.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Mustang posted:

My issue boots caused the outside of my big toes to lose feeling. After switching to non-standard issue boots I gained feeling in my big toes about 6 months later.

Garmont T8's are my go to field boots and for everything else I wear Danner Tachyons.

I've heard the new Nikes are really good. The old ones hurt the back of my heel when I tried them on.

Garmont T8's and T8 NFS seem to always get good reviews. I have narrow feet so Nike has always fit me well. I just bought a pair of Nike Jungles. We'll see how they hold up. It's crazy to me that you can wear aftermarket boots at Ranger school now. When I went failed pushups and got sent home, they were kicking people out just for having Vibram soles.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

I bought like 6 pairs of the Coppers a long time ago and am just now on the last set, but those look loving awesome.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Issued boots also caused me to lose feeling in my big toes for over a year. I thought it was going to be permanent, but eventually feeling came back. I remember getting into bed one night and being surprised I could feel the sensation of the sheets sliding across my toe.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Be careful buying SuperFeet insoles on Amazon. I've seen more than one report/review of people getting knockoffs from Amazon vendors.

https://www.expertvoice.com

There's a huge military/vet discount on them and TONS of other outdoor crap on there. I've worn only Superfeet in all of my footwear for the past decade and wouldn't switch to anything else. The VA even gave me a custom prescription set of orthotics that suck by comparison. Re: the fancy newer Trailblazer Superfeet, I have them (and the running version), I personally can't tell a huge difference between the green and blue Superfeet.

The real leather Nike boots own, although a lace loop on mine broke rendering them useless after 2 years. They held up for a POG Arifjan deployment and owned for walking around to the office, although I can't say they had much ankle support. My last pair of army boots were some Rocky S2Vs which are lightweight and rock solid stability wise.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 3, 2018

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Those loving cups in the heels of the issue boots tore my feet to shreds. I had to moleskin the gently caress out of my feet every day just to get by.

Bought another pair of boots straight out of basic and problem immediately went away. Those issue boots were the worst.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I almost lost a pinky toe from rucking in the issue boots in basic training. poo poo looked like a cherry tomato because all the skin blood blistered off. The clinic gave me antibiotics and cut it all off and then I brought them back and the drills violated the doctor's order of letting me keep the antibiotics so they could lock them up in a box they promptly lost the keys for. I never got to take a single antibiotic and I still can't feel that toe or half of either of my big toes.

I blame the issue boots but really my legs are just all weird and the first thing that goes on me when I ruck is my feet. I'll feel completely fine walking and then my skin starts coming off.

Now I have some sneakers that look like boots and they're pretty comfortable.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Probably the best feeling I had in my entire career was after I kept having problems running with my NCOs and coworkers just calling me weak and poo poo. I went to the doctor and found out that I had too much muscle in my legs and it was restricting blood flow, so whenever I would run I would get no circulation below my knees. They had to surgically remove some which left me on convalescent leave from May until I left a couple weeks ago. Dropping all of that on them felt so goddamned good.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

not caring here posted:

Those loving cups in the heels of the issue boots tore my feet to shreds. I had to moleskin the gently caress out of my feet every day just to get by.

Bought another pair of boots straight out of basic and problem immediately went away. Those issue boots were the worst.

Yeah me too. Had to wear my winters at Sill in the summer. Cut gashes the size of quarters.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

Probably the best feeling I had in my entire career was after I kept having problems running with my NCOs and coworkers just calling me weak and poo poo. I went to the doctor and found out that I had too much muscle in my legs and it was restricting blood flow, so whenever I would run I would get no circulation below my knees. They had to surgically remove some which left me on convalescent leave from May until I left a couple weeks ago. Dropping all of that on them felt so goddamned good.

This sounds a lot like compartment syndrome. Shin splints for hours that wouldnt go away?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Bates Cobra Jungles are awesome, and not the most expensive either. Feels like wearing sneakers, lightweigth and all.

Mine have lasted nearly two years but are almost in the finish now. Reasonable for 120$ in my opinion, considering I’ve used only them minus like three days when I really needed waterproof boots.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Nike stopped doing the legit active duty discount (you could cheat it) and now just charge full price. No where else side from a few IRL stores had them either.

Nothing to do with the boots, but if you make an online purchase and then call Nike, they will apply the discount to your order.

Or get your one time code for each purchase.
https://verify.sheerid.com/nike-military/

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kaliber posted:

Nothing to do with the boots, but if you make an online purchase and then call Nike, they will apply the discount to your order.

Or get your one time code for each purchase.
https://verify.sheerid.com/nike-military/

gonna enjoy my 10% discount on some jordans tia

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Soulex posted:

This sounds a lot like compartment syndrome. Shin splints for hours that wouldnt go away?

No, but that's what they thought it was. Got an angiogram and they got video of the muscle constricting the artery. The limb numbness would go away after a few minutes of not exercising, which is what tipped the doctors off.

Edit: popliteal entrapment syndrome, that's the name.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

A Bad Poster posted:

Or as Army and senior NCOs would call it, ”lack of heart in feet”

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

No, but that's what they thought it was. Got an angiogram and they got video of the muscle constricting the artery. The limb numbness would go away after a few minutes of not exercising, which is what tipped the doctors off.

Oh hey they tested me for that too. Still have some of it but not enough to warrant surgery. Its crazy hearing about this poo poo from someonr else. I always felt like the only one.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've never had the problem of too much muscle, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Soulex posted:

Oh hey they tested me for that too. Still have some of it but not enough to warrant surgery. Its crazy hearing about this poo poo from someonr else. I always felt like the only one.

Yeah, the surgeon said that it's relatively uncommon, something like 5%-10% of people have it, but they can't tell for sure because it only becomes an issue once someone with it gets into good enough shape and people are lazy.