Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

prom candy posted:

I do web dev, not that much consistent number-typing. I can see how a keypad would be important for a lot of jobs though. Regardless I work in a big open office so I don't know if getting a mechanical keyboard here would be welcomed.

In our open office a bunch of devs have mechanical keyboards now. Reds, Browns and Clears are all ok noise wise.

We do have one guy that is now known as hammerhands. Half the office could hear him typing on browns. Switched to red and it got a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I have a Cherry MX 3.0 with Browns. It's pretty decent, but I find its a tad mushy for my tastes.

I'm picking up a second mechanical keyboard to go in my office (or home, depending which I like more in the end).
Should I venture into clears, greens, or blues? I want a bit more resistance I think, and more affirmation on a keystroke.

I grew up on a Model M; and google says the Greens are pretty close. Thoughts? Theyre tough to find.

edit: No gaming; just typing/programming here. Maybe the occasional steam light game; no intense FPS or anything.

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 14, 2015

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Walked posted:

I grew up on a Model M; and google says the Greens are pretty close. Thoughts? Theyre tough to find.

edit: No gaming; just typing/programming here. Maybe the occasional steam light game; no intense FPS or anything.
If you really want the Model M experience, you could get the Unicomp: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UltraClassic
They are super loving loud, though.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Walked posted:

I have a Cherry MX 3.0 with Browns. It's pretty decent, but I find its a tad mushy for my tastes.

I'm picking up a second mechanical keyboard to go in my office (or home, depending which I like more in the end).
Should I venture into clears, greens, or blues? I want a bit more resistance I think, and more affirmation on a keystroke.

I'm still unsure if I prefer greens of clears. They're both good choices though if you hammer keys too strongly for browns/blues.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I used to do a lot of data entry so I live by the numpad.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

pr0zac posted:

I'm still unsure if I prefer greens of clears. They're both good choices though if you hammer keys too strongly for browns/blues.

I think Clears are going to be my next trial; mainly because I can actually find them in stock by reputable companies. Hmph.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I took my Poker 3 home from work and it's taken me about 20 minutes to consider replacing my corsair with another one

gently caress

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm strongly considering getting something with clears (probably a CODE) to replace the k70 with browns I took to work (and then use the k70 at home where I have an old Logitech g15)

Up until like 3 weeks ago I thought mechanical keyboards were dumb BS now I'm afraid I have a problem :ohdear:

Also holy poo poo I looked at the g15 on amazon and it's going for like $60 in "good" condition and I saw one for $170+ in like new condition :stare:

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

So I was having issues with my latest keyboard (Microsoft Wired 200) randomly disconnecting and reconnecting itself as I type. Turns out it was not my radioactive hands, and turns out it was also not my motherboard on the fritz...but as it turns out, it's not an uncommon problem with this particular model of keyboard, and can be fixed by preventing Windows from shutting off the devices to save power.

http://superuser.com/questions/751805/usb-keyboard-shuts-down-when-holding-keys

I've never once had ever had a keyboard do this to me. Buyer beware, I suppose, and hopefully if you ever have a keyboard do something similar to you, this might help.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Unboxing Day posted:

So I was having issues with my latest keyboard (Microsoft Wired 200) randomly disconnecting and reconnecting itself as I type. Turns out it was not my radioactive hands, and turns out it was also not my motherboard on the fritz...but as it turns out, it's not an uncommon problem with this particular model of keyboard, and can be fixed by preventing Windows from shutting off the devices to save power.

http://superuser.com/questions/751805/usb-keyboard-shuts-down-when-holding-keys

I've never once had ever had a keyboard do this to me. Buyer beware, I suppose, and hopefully if you ever have a keyboard do something similar to you, this might help.

I think it's ironic that the only keyboard I've heard of with that issue is from Microsoft. I know the various departments are essentially run as separate companies, but that's still pretty funny.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

betterinsodapop posted:

The regular WASDs dont, but the CODEs do have backlighting (white.)
Argh, really want a CODE clear too.

I've got one. I don't rate it, it pings, and clears are silly

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

I've got one. I don't rate it, it pings, and clears are silly

Do people really hate the pinging that much? I hadn't noticed it until I started listening for it and even now that I can hear it it doesn't bug me at all.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

pr0zac posted:

Do people really hate the pinging that much? I hadn't noticed it until I started listening for it and even now that I can hear it it doesn't bug me at all.

I hate it enough that I'm seriously considering putting o-rings on to see if it's any better.

Unfortunately I can't use my kb with browns at work because it has bt capability and security won't allow it.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
So did anyone else join the Massdrop for those o-rings like two months ago? I put them on my Pok3r with clears and they do literally nothing.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

So did anyone else join the Massdrop for those o-rings like two months ago? I put them on my Pok3r with clears and they do literally nothing.

o-rings are something you put on a looser/crappier keyboard to take away a hollow sound if it has one (and if you prefer it that way). Also clears have a very high spring stiffness at the end of their travel which does the job of an o-ring too. Pok3r being built so well it really has no need for o-rings.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I was under the impression that o-rings were supposed to lower the travel distance and silence any bottoming out. At least, that's what every other mechanical keyboard site says.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I was under the impression that o-rings were supposed to lower the travel distance and silence any bottoming out. At least, that's what every other mechanical keyboard site says.

What happens if you put 2x o-rings on a key, does it change anything then?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

That's exactly what they do. As tuna pointed out, clears don't bottom out with a lot of force, and Pokers are built to good tolerances, so you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference. If you put those same rings on a $50 Rosewill with Reds, it would be like night and day.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
O-rings could mitigate some ping noise in some situations, but not in others. The upstroke / return can be as much a source of ping as the downstroke.

Ping is super variable and can be influenced by both the keyboard itself and by independent factors like what surface the keyboard is on. I'd guess it will also be pretty different within a few examples of one model. Small variations like which of the plastic case anchors are the firmest holding on the backplate will have a big influence. Grab a piece of metal and tap on it while holding it pinched by thumb and finger -- you'll find some places you can hold have a "tone" and others don't.

Pokers don't ping because they're tiny so the steel backplate isn't big enough to resonate in audible frequencies. Has nothing to do with the switch type or some supposed superior construction. In general fullsize boards are going to ping the most and mini boards the least.

Thanks for coming to today's Resonance 101 lecture.

tuna posted:

What happens if you put 2x o-rings on a key, does it change anything then?
It probably makes the key not work since it won't depress enough to activate.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Klyith posted:

It probably makes the key not work since it won't depress enough to activate.

Okay now let's try 3 and a pad.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Still looking for a bluetooth, wireless and hopefully backlit 60-or-80% mechanical keyboard. The vb87m was on Massdrop not too long ago but I missed it, and it seems the folks who bought in are still looking for their things (or keycaps..?)

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I have a question here. I just moved and in the process some of the keys on my logitech k800 wireless keyboard came off, it looks like they got sheared off or popped off or whatever by something else in the box. It's at least 5 years old so do you think there is any hope in hell that logitech will help me out with a replacement because they are the scissor keys and some of the little plastic parts are broken. I am so sad because i really loved that keyboard but I'm not sure I can justify dropping naother 70 bucks on a new one. WHat do you think my odds are?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I'm redoing my whole desk and really want a pok3r but I know the second I buy it news will come out on the pok3r
Led. I need a number at work so the option of moving it there won't work.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

skylined! posted:

Still looking for a bluetooth, wireless and hopefully backlit 60-or-80% mechanical keyboard. The vb87m was on Massdrop not too long ago but I missed it, and it seems the folks who bought in are still looking for their things (or keycaps..?)

Rapoo KX?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

skylined! posted:

Filco minila

ColHannibal posted:

I'm redoing my whole desk and really want a pok3r but I know the second I buy it news will come out on the pok3r
Led. I need a number at work so the option of moving it there won't work.

Buy a seperate mechanical numpad?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/Vortexgear/posts/911792815555096

A split Poker?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Ramadu posted:

So I have a question here. I just moved and in the process some of the keys on my logitech k800 wireless keyboard came off, it looks like they got sheared off or popped off or whatever by something else in the box. It's at least 5 years old so do you think there is any hope in hell that logitech will help me out with a replacement because they are the scissor keys and some of the little plastic parts are broken. I am so sad because i really loved that keyboard but I'm not sure I can justify dropping naother 70 bucks on a new one. WHat do you think my odds are?

Can't hurt to try contacting them. You can buy replacement keys but they'll set you back $6.95 each. I used a similar site for an old laptop once and it worked fine but depending on how many keys you're missing it might be a good time to consider upgrading.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Pivit posted:

Can't hurt to try contacting them. You can buy replacement keys but they'll set you back $6.95 each. I used a similar site for an old laptop once and it worked fine but depending on how many keys you're missing it might be a good time to consider upgrading.

Theres an upgrade to it? I have a das keyboard and a g610+ or whatever it is that is the logitech mechanical. I just really loved that wireless one especially because my cat likes to chew on cords so wireless as much as possible is preferable.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My CODE with clears is here. Initial reaction: these switches are stiff yo. It's much harder to bottom out than the browns I was using before, pretty much not possible without really slamming the keys. Also this thing is solid and heavy. Not 100% sure if it's worth $155 but it's very good.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

My CODE with clears is here. Initial reaction: these switches are stiff yo. It's much harder to bottom out than the browns I was using before, pretty much not possible without really slamming the keys. Also this thing is solid and heavy. Not 100% sure if it's worth $155 but it's very good.

I tried Clears for the first time after using Browns for years when I got my Poker 3 - They grew on me really fast.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I went brown to clear to blue and when I hit blue I knew I had my dream date

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I am really liking my blues. They remind me of crusty elementary school computer labs when I was a kid.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
going in for one of these weird ortholinear things on massdrop. can't wait to see what it's like

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Ramadu posted:

Theres an upgrade to it? I have a das keyboard and a g610+ or whatever it is that is the logitech mechanical. I just really loved that wireless one especially because my cat likes to chew on cords so wireless as much as possible is preferable.

Oh, sorry. I'm not sure if there is an actual upgrade to that particular model. I meant upgrade to something that doesn't use scissor switches. I'm pretty sure there are mechanical keyboards that use Bluetooth but I don't know if that would cause any latency.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Does leopold use particularly lovely keycaps? With the ducky I had before (which was shoddily constructed in other ways, mostly aesthetic but also some soldering issues) I never had keycap issues, but now I've had 8-9 key caps just outright break from the leopold. The part that covers the stem cracks and then eventually breaks off resulting in the caps popping off while you are typing or using them. The stems themselves are not damaged and just putting a different keycap on fixes it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

TheQat posted:

going in for one of these weird ortholinear things on massdrop. can't wait to see what it's like

I'm curious, does the estimated ship date show as 30 October for you as well?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I'm curious, does the estimated ship date show as 30 October for you as well?

Yes, it does--I imagine that's the worst case scenario that Jack imagines, but I'm not sure.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Khorne posted:

Does leopold use particularly lovely keycaps? With the ducky I had before (which was shoddily constructed in other ways, mostly aesthetic but also some soldering issues) I never had keycap issues, but now I've had 8-9 key caps just outright break from the leopold. The part that covers the stem cracks and then eventually breaks off resulting in the caps popping off while you are typing or using them. The stems themselves are not damaged and just putting a different keycap on fixes it.

I have been using a Leopold TKL at work with the stock key caps for 4 or 5 years now, no issues.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

What is a real-world use case for N-key rollover? I've seen so many keyboard reviews/specs talk about it and I can't imagine needing to press more than 6 keys + 4 modifiers at once. Am I just misunderstanding what it means? Are people hitting 11 keys at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Recently built a new computer and had my keyboard (Logitech K800) die on me. I'm in the market for a new one and came here, but the OP seems way out of date and jumping into the conversation at the end of this thread is making it difficult to pick something. I'm looking for something with a clean design, preferably dark in color, with decent backlighting. I don't totally follow the craze about mechanical keyboards, but interested in trying one and not put off by paying for a decent one. The Pok3r ones looks cool, but I really want my 'F' keys. Any suggestions for a neophyte? Thanks!

• Locked thread