Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Head's up: Codes and WASD's are once again available with MX Clears on the WASD site.
I cannot justify this expense, already owning 2 mechanical keyboards, so I hope to live vicariously through one of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

Head's up: Codes and WASD's are once again available with MX Clears on the WASD site.
I cannot justify this expense, already owning 2 mechanical keyboards, so I hope to live vicariously through one of you.
Oh hey score.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
WASD's aren't backlit are they? I'm still torn between a custom WASD or a code clear.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

WASD's aren't backlit are they? I'm still torn between a custom WASD or a code clear.

They are not.

Q. about a code KB - is there a way to output numpad keypresses using FN like I have seen on laptops? I occasionally run into programs that don't have configurable keys and require me to press Numpad+ or something like that.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The regular WASDs dont, but the CODEs do have backlighting (white.)
Argh, really want a CODE clear too.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Do it. Currently typing on one and loving love it. I've been using it about a year and the clears have spoiled me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't get the love affair with clears. I have and use a them on a CODE at work but it certainly hasn't ruined reds or browns for me.

I mean, they're ok. As long as you don't bottom out all the time the "ping" doesn't happen either on the CODE.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don't get the love affair with clears. I have and use a them on a CODE at work but it certainly hasn't ruined reds or browns for me.

I mean, they're ok. As long as you don't bottom out all the time the "ping" doesn't happen either on the CODE.

Clears stopped me bottoming out compared to browns. It wont ruin anything for me but if I have a choice I'll spend it on clears.

In other news some of the legends are wearing off one of the Pok3rs so I'm replacing the keys with doubleshots. They're not as nice as the stock Pok3r keys but they'll do for now until a few other sets come in eventually.

[e] I will stop posting pok3rs itt for a while

tuna fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 13, 2015

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

KingEup posted:

The ducky shine 4 has a much cheaper feel/finish that the ducky shine 3.

Good thing I bought 3 ducky shine 3 yellow editions.

You're the guy I aspire to be as smart as.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There's a Planck up on massdrop if that interests any of you.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

tuna posted:

Clears stopped me bottoming out compared to browns. It wont ruin anything for me but if I have a choice I'll spend it on clears.

Coming from reds to clears was a bit of an adjustment, but every day I use them I love them even more. Unless I am really typing forcefully I never bottom out anymore. In fact I have thought I was bottoming out the keys while holding down WASD when playing games, and then have realized I'm actually not.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005

Jumpingmanjim posted:

godammit

I was just looking at those the other day.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

That's tempting as hell but I'm waiting for the Planck dude to make a PCB for the Quark or the JD40 to come back. If I hadn't have just bought a Pok3r I would have jumped on this.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
somebody buy my other boards so i can buy a stupid goddamn small board that I don't need.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

tuna posted:

That' exactly why I want a board with clears so much. I love the bump feel of the browns, but I still bottom out pretty much every keystroke.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When people talk about bottoming out, are they talking about making _any_ contact with the bottom or are they talking about a more forceful motion where your finger basically hits the bottom?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I have reds and I rarely bottom out. And it gives me a feeling of authority when I need to slam a key because I watched to many cold war movies when I was kid.

Also I was thinking of changing out the leds on my K70, I doubt is that hard so should I go blue with white modifiers, or vice versa?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I play video games where bottoming out (and holding down the key) is going to happen no matter what. Are clears going to stress my fingers? I want the tactile bump, so I think I am between browns and clears. Help.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I play video games where bottoming out (and holding down the key) is going to happen no matter what. Are clears going to stress my fingers? I want the tactile bump, so I think I am between browns and clears. Help.

I've personally found for me that when I am playing games on my clears, I have learned to hold my finger just slightly after the actuation point, which doesn't cause me any undue stress.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Josh Lyman posted:

When people talk about bottoming out, are they talking about making _any_ contact with the bottom or are they talking about a more forceful motion where your finger basically hits the bottom?
Forceful impact mostly. It's only bad because it indicates you're using more force than strictly necessary, and if you're sensitive to the clacking noise.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Probably not, the spring force is higher than many other keys but not much more than blacks, which are used by gamers all the time. Holding down the key isn't the part where clears can be more stressful, it's the typing RSI for people who don't adjust to them.

(Gamers can get finger strain much easier when you're tense and pushing down on a key, even though it's already down as far as it can go. Or gripping the mouse too tightly. Holding finger tendons in tension like that is quick to inflame them.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Klyith posted:

Forceful impact mostly. It's only bad because it indicates you're using more force than strictly necessary, and if you're sensitive to the clacking noise.
Okay, then I'm pretty sure don't really bottom out when I'm typing.

Gaming is obviously a different matter. I have to avoid binding any keys in Diablo 3 to my pinky otherwise it gets sore really quickly.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

I've finally decided that I have the worst luck in keyboards.

I have two Unicomp classic black keybaords in my closet, both of them have keys on them that plain do not work anymore. I also have a cheap keyboard that I bought a few months ago that had half the keys not working on it either. So I bought a Microsoft Wired keyboard 200 off Amazon. All of the keys work. But when I type on it, the keyboard will randomly become "unplugged" for a half-second (you can hear the disconnect sound in Windows) and drops my key-presses for no reason.

There's only one explanation. My hands must be keyboard-radioactive or something.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You know, it could just be your motherboard going to poo poo. Try those boards on a different machine?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So looked over the OP, seems a little out of date so I was wondering what would be a good economical keyboard upgrade?

Currently I use a laptop, but was thinking of buying a cheap keyboard and monitor to go with it and then when I settle down buy the computer to go with it later. I currently use it mostly for typing and gaming, I need the 10 numpad keys and was hoping for a mechanical keyboard but will consider membrane keyboards for cheapness.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
So far, not super thrilled with the pok3r. Hopefully I can find the love for the fn key, or that the es-87 comes back into stock soon.

Between the pok3r and my trackball mouse none of my coworkers can use my computer...

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Demon_Corsair posted:

So far, not super thrilled with the pok3r. Hopefully I can find the love for the fn key, or that the es-87 comes back into stock soon.

Between the pok3r and my trackball mouse none of my coworkers can use my computer...

What issues are you having with the FN key? Did you do the standard and move it to replace caps lock?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

niss posted:

What issues are you having with the FN key? Did you do the standard and move it to replace caps lock?

Yea, I moved it. It's mostly just unlearning 20+ years of typing reaching for things like the arrow keys. And certain combinations like ~ involve awkward hand placement. I should probably just rebind those in a different order.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I never realized how much I used the KP enter key until I got my TKL. Apparently it's my go-to enter key when typing URLs into the address bar.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

I never realized how much I used the KP enter key until I got my TKL. Apparently it's my go-to enter key when typing URLs into the address bar.

I had the same issue but it went away after awhile. I used to like to slam that enter key with my right thumb as I moved my hand back to the mouse.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheModernAmerican posted:

I have reds and I rarely bottom out. And it gives me a feeling of authority when I need to slam a key because I watched to many cold war movies when I was kid.

Also I was thinking of changing out the leds on my K70, I doubt is that hard so should I go blue with white modifiers, or vice versa?

This is probably one of the best descriptions of why I love mechanical keyboards

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

taqueso posted:

I had the same issue but it went away after awhile. I used to like to slam that enter key with my right thumb as I moved my hand back to the mouse.

Lol you use a mouse. :smug:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

taqueso posted:

Haha yeah that's my same situation. I think I might need to get a TKL at work too to eliminate the habit... I wonder how quickly my coworkers would kill me if I got blues here.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

pr0zac posted:

Lol you use a mouse. :smug:

My mouse has clears :smug:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

taqueso posted:

My mouse has clears :smug:

:pusheen:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Got some extra cash and have been toying around with the idea of getting a mechanical keyboard for years so I just ordered a switch tester since I don't otherwise have an easy way to try out the various switches, although based on reading up on them and looking at gifs I think I'd want the browns. I figure I can let some people at work and some friends play around with the tester and that'll help justify its cost a bit more, but I figure better safe than sorry anyway.

Originally started out with a Model M at home and the Apple Extended at school, barely remember when we switched to modern, cheaper keyboards and thinking they were off for a few months before getting used to it. Now I have that Dell L100 that was mention a few pages back at work and a K120 at home, so both pretty standard and decent keyboards. This would mostly be for gaming since most of my coding is done on my laptop, but there's still some stuff I do primarily on my desktop, mostly involving VMs but whatever.

Aforementioned extra cash is actual Amazon gift card money, so that'd be the easiest way of going, but that pretty much cuts out customization and I like playing around with custom keys editor on WASDs site, so I'll probably just say "screw it" and figure out a way to move the money around. Amazon seems to mainly just have CM, Corsair, and Das keyboards as far as good (afaik) mechanical options go, but if anyone has any insight on this I'd be happy to hear it.

Outside of Amazon it seems there's a lot of focus on SA keys and various materials I don't know much about, at least wrt keyboards. WASD doesn't seem to have SA keys, but a lot of the key sets on Massdrop seem to be lately, actually seeing that Carbon drop this morning was what put this idea in my head for what to do with the money, but I'm not sold on that color scheme. I'll look into other options but if anyone wants to chime in since the OP hasn't been updated in about 4 years that'd be great.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
TKL at work sounds like masochism.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

HEY NONG MAN posted:

TKL at work sounds like masochism.

Why? Aside from that Enter-key habit I didn't know I had I rarely use my keypad.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

prom candy posted:

Why? Aside from that Enter-key habit I didn't know I had I rarely use my keypad.

Yeah it probably depends on what you do but entering IP addresses without a TK is annoying. Also doing any sort of number crunching in excel.

I'm a data lackey.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I do web dev, not that much consistent number-typing. I can see how a keypad would be important for a lot of jobs though. Regardless I work in a big open office so I don't know if getting a mechanical keyboard here would be welcomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

prom candy posted:

I do web dev, not that much consistent number-typing. I can see how a keypad would be important for a lot of jobs though. Regardless I work in a big open office so I don't know if getting a mechanical keyboard here would be welcomed.

<echinopsis> alpha up and get blues no o-rings :getin: </echinopsis>

Someone in my former open office had a Kinesis with Browns and it didn't bother anyone, YMMV depending on coworkers/culture though. No one took calls on the floor, for example

• Locked thread