Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

indigi posted:

will this cost 200-250 dollars and last four years

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Perplx posted:

Just to add to this graph, my iphone SE (2016) gets 50.9 .

and my xs gets 115 so top performance here looks to be on par with 3~5 year old apple chips

Zamujasa posted:

yeah. used it in couer d'alene in idaho for a little bit when i was visiting. the place we were staying was down some old roads.

goog tried to do this very thing, indeed even suggesting an unpaved, twisting road over a fully paved and marked road that happened to be slightly longer (way less than a mile by the end).

it's good at giving you some idea of what's coming next, but boy howdy is it dogshit if you're at all outside a major city

google maps having offline maps is probably the biggest advantage for those situations because yeah, it does not know what to do with low use roads

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

that’s interesting, I’ve never purchased any used techy-stuff that worked for that long. maybe I’ll look at refurbs?

e: lol refurb 2018 ipad pros are $600+ on Amazon

indigi fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 9, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

indigi posted:

that’s interesting, I’ve never purchased any used techy-stuff that worked for that long. maybe I’ll look at refurbs?

e: lol refurb 2018 ipad pros are $600+ on Amazon

swappa is your friend

https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/apple-ipad-6th-gen/wifi

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you don’t need an iPad Pro to watch video, there’s cheaper models. although honestly watching pirated videos is not a great use case on the ipad. transferring data to it is a pain, it is picky about container formats, and does playing from an sd card actually work?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

indigi posted:

what map software do you use? I use google on my iPhone and it will route me directly into a +30 minute traffic jam if it saves half a mile. I looked it up and there’s no way to force it to choose the fastest route, they changed it to choose the “greenest” route

just raw Google maps. To be honest I think the car satnav does a better job on the route but the interface is dreadful (because the in car touch screen is poo poo) and it doesn't alert me to speed cameras

plus the android auto tidal integration is actually really slick

the actual Google map display in the car is pretty bad though

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

you don’t need an iPad Pro to watch video, there’s cheaper models. although honestly watching pirated videos is not a great use case on the ipad. transferring data to it is a pain, it is picky about container formats, and does playing from an sd card actually work?

As of iPadOS 13 yeah you can.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

indigi posted:

what map software do you use? I use google on my iPhone and it will route me directly into a +30 minute traffic jam if it saves half a mile. I looked it up and there’s no way to force it to choose the fastest route, they changed it to choose the “greenest” route

has this been changed recently? i always had the opposite issue where it would want me to get off the highway and take some side roads to potentially save 2 minutes due to slowdown in a construction area

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the basic iPad is totally fine for watching video. they start at like $275 brand new during sales (more for more storage)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Management posted:

yeah I remember all this from the first ipad I had which is why my instinct was to stick with andoid

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Going through the hassle of running your video through handbrake and using an sdcard adapter is still better than running Anroid

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The_Franz posted:

has this been changed recently? i always had the opposite issue where it would want me to get off the highway and take some side roads to potentially save 2 minutes due to slowdown in a construction area

I think so, I only just started using it to try to avoid traffic on 95 cause they’re doing construction everywhere but it refuses to take me around delays

e: https://www.phonearena.com/news/google-maps-to-base-directions-on-fuel-consumption_id131630

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol @ unironically buying an Android tablet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Going through the hassle of running your video through handbrake and using an sdcard adapter is still better than running Anroid
buy a copy of waltr and it becomes a drag and drop operation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

i guess but my experience of tap video file -> watch video was much less annoying than all the monkeying I had to do to get an iPad to show what I wanted and cost multiple hundreds of dollars less

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

infuse media player is worth the few dollars a year

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

infuse media player is worth the few dollars a year

VLC, AVPlayer, nPlayer, Infuse, Plex Pass there are lots of options

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
imo i think the android tablet is the better buy if you’re really insistent on using an sd card. it’s a pain to transfer huge amounts of data to an ipad and if you’re watching a bunch of widescreen stuff and can snag one of those older wider format tablets they work great.

remember op wants an appliance mostly not a normal tablet.

otherwise yes obviously an ipad is a better choice for literally every other use case

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t think plex pass is worth it tbh unless you are hardcore into that software and want to stream to your tablet. it is pretty janky, and support for pip and subtitles and things while they work, are not nearly as smooth as other players.

vlc on ios isn’t that great either imo in terms of ui. infuse is nice but i haven’t used it in a while.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if you can leave it plugged in I'd prefer an old thinkpad/latitude with a 1080p screen over an android tablet for that use case

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

if you can leave it plugged in I'd prefer an old thinkpad/latitude with a 1080p screen over an android tablet for that use case

it would weigh several times as much and probably have a worse screen but it’s an option i guess

more storage space tho

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Perplx posted:

VLC, AVPlayer, nPlayer, Infuse, Plex Pass there are lots of options

not if you want smooth playback of 4K hdr material, no. infuse was the only one I tried that worked well

by well I mean not constantly stuttering and buffering despite being on a wired gigabit connection with the audio channels coming from the wrong speakers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am really surprised to find me saying that if an android table that did its task fine is what is to be replaced maybe there is a right android tablet out there for it. i think just about every discerning person in the world has written off android tablets though, so good luck getting any kind of useful advice on what is the least bad replacement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Google has written off android tablets

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Zamujasa posted:

yeah. used it in couer d'alene in idaho for a little bit when i was visiting. the place we were staying was down some old roads.

goog tried to do this very thing, indeed even suggesting an unpaved, twisting road over a fully paved and marked road that happened to be slightly longer (way less than a mile by the end).

it's good at giving you some idea of what's coming next, but boy howdy is it dogshit if you're at all outside a major city

When we lived in PA, there were two routes from our rental house to Penn State: one on major highways that was somewhat roundabout, but took about 40-50 minutes on average; and the other, through a state forest, using largely washed-out logging roads, which hypothetically could shave a few minutes off if you have a truck (and stomach) that can handle driving them at 40mph. Guess which one Google Maps preferred?

Re: android tablets, I got a hand-me-down Acer or something, and was fairly astonished at just how unusably bad it was. I guess I'm surprised that there are literally no good Android tablets. Well, Kindle Fires, maybe, if you're cool with a kid's toy full of ads and a Great Value app store.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the fires are pretty heinous

again though the flaw is wanting to use an android tablet to do something online or run more than a very basic app. as ereaders or media watchers they’re often fine (beyond a certain price point) but nothing else.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
we’ve got a spectrophotometer in my lab at work that runs Android. I wouldn’t say that it’s good, but it’s better than the embedded windows bullshit that most of the other equipment uses

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Last Chance posted:

today i learned they still try to make android tablets lol

this is a quote from the boss at some anroid tablet factory

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/erikfinman/status/1415328529034715141?s=21

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol skin a random chinese clone and sell it for twice the price

really funny how they proclaim not to run android say when they totally are. “crested our own os” gtfooooo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mediaphage posted:

really funny how they proclaim not to run android say when they totally are. “crested our own os” gtfooooo

i'm not watching the video but does he actually say it's not android? it's clearly a fork of AOSP, but i think to call it "android" you have to agree to have google services, so it's one of those things that's technically true but not in a way that's actually meaningful

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

If any of these chuds actually gave a poo poo then the Pinephone, Purism, etc exist, but because they've never been shamelessly self-promoting as FREE SPEECH :911: there exists a vacuum for this douche nozzle to separate fools from their money, and I kinda hate it.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

chud: I believe in IDEAS. I have PRINCIPLES. I am going to SMASH my IPHONE in the name of FREEDOM. What kind of phone can I get that will align with my VALUES.

internet: well there's the pinephone. it runs linux. it comes with a long list of caveats and feature restrictions. also it's on backorder. but you have 100% control over everything once you have it.

chud: That sounds HARD. I will just buy another IPHONE. After I tweet the picture of the first one I SMASHED. :911:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the only thing of value he's really offering is an appstore with banned app, so a webserver with files that anyone can download
I expect he's going to shutdown the store because its going to use too much bandwidth compared to sold phones

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Perplx posted:

I expect he's going to shutdown the store because its going to use too much bandwidth compared to sold phones

That or he’s going to scrape APKs for his store and then get DMCA’d and sued into shutting it down

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

shoeberto posted:

chud: I believe in IDEAS. I have PRINCIPLES. I am going to SMASH my IPHONE in the name of FREEDOM. What kind of phone can I get that will align with my VALUES.

internet: well there's the pinephone. it runs linux. it comes with a long list of caveats and feature restrictions. also it's on backorder. but you have 100% control over everything once you have it.

chud: That sounds HARD. I will just buy another IPHONE. After I tweet the picture of the first one I SMASHED. :911:

lemote yeeloong phone when

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

kitten smoothie posted:

That or he’s going to scrape APKs for his store and then get DMCA’d and sued into shutting it down

way too much like work

it's just going to be a rooted android phone that comes with a tinyurl link to install the racist chat program

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

mediaphage posted:

https://twitter.com/AnimationisKey/status/1415457711127502856

$180 on Amazon

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

i'm not watching the video but does he actually say it's not android? it's clearly a fork of AOSP, but i think to call it "android" you have to agree to have google services, so it's one of those things that's technically true but not in a way that's actually meaningful

i just looked at the website which tries to make it seem like they’ve created a whole new os

i thought it was this too but the one back image someone posted doesn’t match ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it doesn’t matter it’s still clearly all grift lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1415779874426531848?s=20