Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like the replacement Donna actress (also how have we not got any Donna in season 3)

Also reminder that Big Ed and Nadine are also a serial killer couple in the actual best movie of the 90s, People Under the Stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TheMaestroso posted:

One of the "traits" that the use of eugenics was intended to remove from the gene pool was a lack of moral fiber.
Doppelcoop + BOB is an extradimensional demon being. I think it's a little different from eugenics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It really doesn't seem like that controversial of a statement to say that being born from an evil spirit predisposes you to evil

edit: Like yes ok fine Richard is actively choosing of his own free will to be a bad person, it's fair to say that. But also he is possibly the son of a creature from a plane of nightmares so I'd say that may have a little something to do with why he is choosing to be bad

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

JazzFlight posted:

Doppelcoop + BOB is an extradimensional demon being. I think it's a little different from eugenics.

Oh, then he's also not a metaphor for the evil that men do because he's not human? I think you've cracked the code, pal. :thumbsup:

CJacobs posted:

But also he is possibly the son of a creature from a plane of nightmares so I'd say that may have a little something to do with why he is choosing to be bad

Laura is Leland's daughter, and he had BOB in him ever since he was a child. On a more real-worldly level, this seems to suggest that children of evil people are predisposed to being evil, which is a hosed up thing to suggest. You don't choose your parents, after all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The tragedy of Laura Palmer shouldn't be that nobody called the Ghostbusters soon enough to suck up the rape demon with their Proton Packs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And More posted:

Oh, then he's also not a metaphor for the evil that men do because he's not human? I think you've cracked the code, pal. :thumbsup:

Laura is Leland's daughter, and he had BOB in him ever since he was a child. On a more real-worldly level, this seems to suggest that children of evil people are predisposed to being evil, which is a hosed up thing to suggest. You don't choose your parents, after all.

What does any of this conversation have to do with real life

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Abuse can certainly be passed on through the generations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

And More posted:

What was that quote about reading too much into it again

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
FWWM was a very good horror film from 1992, the best one of that year.

i also agree with mark kermode, sheryl lee should have got a nomination for that year. i believe it's a very good film.

i believe FWWM fan edit is good but only when watched back to back with the series and return. theatrical only for viewing by itself or first time.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 20, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Hakkesshu posted:

What was that quote about reading too much into it again

Two pages ago people were saying things like:

cis autodrag posted:

A lot of my friends have experienced sexual assault and having listened to and supported them through their own stories, FWWM is an intensely powerful movie.

Now it's apparently not okay to see any parallels between Twin Peaks and the real world?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Abuse can certainly be passed on through the generations.

Can it be passed on if you never meet the abusive dad?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

And More posted:

Now it's apparently not okay to see any parallels between Twin Peaks and the real world?

not when you're applying actual eugenics vis-a-vis demon doppelgangers

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

And More posted:

Can it be passed on if you never meet the abusive dad?

What are you talking about?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Hakkesshu posted:

not when you're applying actual eugenics vis-a-vis demon doppelgangers

What exactly is the qualitative difference between:

"Someone is passing on the abuse they experience like a demon switching bodies"
and
"Children of evil creatures are naturally predisposed to become evil"?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about Richard. People are claiming he is evil because he is the son of the doppelganger.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe BOB is hitler and Laura is Churchill??!?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Jesus. We need a new episode ASAP

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

And More posted:

and

One is a thing that happens the other is a fake frankenstein story.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
FWWM is literally about dealing with childhood abuse and trauma.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

No, it's literally about demonic possession.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And More posted:

and

I'm talking about Richard. People are claiming he is evil because he is the son of the doppelganger.

The difference is that one is supernatural and the other isn't?? Booper being a supernatural creature and not an actual human being is the key point you are ignoring here.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah, it's figuratively about dealing with childhood abuse and trauma.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's literally figurative.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vikar Jerome posted:

FWWM was a very good horror film from 1992, the best one of that year.

i also agree with mark kermode, sheryl lee should have got a nomination for that year. i believe it's a very good film.

i believe FWWM fan edit is good but only when watched back to back with the series and return. theatrical only for viewing by itself or first time.

Yes, yes and yes.

nopants
May 29, 2004
Was Maddy a tulpa? I've been rewatching the original series, and early in season two she says something like, "All I know is that I'm Laura's cousin, I loved her, and she died." In the context of the return, should that be taken literally?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

The difference is that one is supernatural and the other isn't?? Booper being a supernatural creature and not an actual human being is the key point you are ignoring here.

I'm not ignoring it, I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to the figurative meaning. Let's take Hellboy as an example. He is literally the son of a demon and a human woman, but due to his upbringing, he is one of the good guys. I'd argue that such a story is about the difference between who you are genetically, and who you are as a human being. It doesn't matter that he is literally the son of a demon because the story also supports an allegorical reading.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
She's dead, wrapped in subtext.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Maddy is a chalupa, yes.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Adding "eugenics" to the thread triggers list.

I love how the thread unravels during the last few hours leading up to a new episode lol

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Seems to me Richard might know his fatherdale, he seemed to recognize him on that TV at "the farm". Knowing your horrible evil father and having your mother in a coma might change how you turn out without it being genetically passed on. He seems to share his dad's preference for head trauma. Wouldn't be surprised if a twist was that Richard is in on this but maybe doesnt quite know how far it goes.

e: has it been mentioned already that Freddie shows up with James at the roadhouse in that first episode James appears in. Green glove and everything.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 20, 2017

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
What are you guys going to do during the one month hiatus after tonight's episode? :)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Maddy is a chalupa, yes.

She was saying boo-ulpa

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

...! posted:

What are you guys going to do during the one month hiatus after tonight's episode? :)

Spoil everything for people watching it that late.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Maddy is a chalupa, yes.

Gotta say, she fit pretty snuggly into that golf bag.

Oh man, I just remembered this tasteful thing you could put on your shelf:

And More fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 20, 2017

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUjLCOTw4X0

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

...! posted:

There's no hiatus :confused:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

lol

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

...! posted:

There isn't a one month haitus.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

WOW ROSS WOW

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
There's only two more weeks of episodes after tonight :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

There's only two more weeks of episodes after tonight :(

This is hitting me hard too but I am comforting myself with the fact that watching the whole 18 hours at my own pace is going to be so drat fun.