Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Breetai posted:

Why in the suffering gently caress Am I agreeing with her, of all people, over Labour in relation to a political position involving bigotry?

Possibly because she may have actually always pretty fair dinkum, it just got muddled in some unfortunate cultural tunnelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
lol if labor ever went on the hard offensive boomers collectively would poo poo themselves that they would get into power and do something to impact their tax benefits

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
65% of people own a house in Australia. None of these people really want Labor to be in power, it's just fortunate that some of their dads didn't vote Liberal.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ah you see but Labor can simply sleepwalk into government and not scare the landlord class.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

"amend it later" means "its done forget about it stop bothering us"

Seemlar posted:

"We'll fix it in government" means they're going to fold in the senate

:sigh:

I've been dreading this legislation's return since before covid. Two loving years and here we are. Back at it again.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

lih posted:

the answer is that labor are morons who are terrible at politics and communication and insist on coming up with the most 4d chess convoluted positions they can which ends up making no one happy.

The tried having policies and fell directly onto their faces.

Now they're triangulating themselves straight into a ditch.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
just same bad political instincts manifesting in different ways

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

lih posted:

katter is now listing all his favourite christians from the crusades

raynald of chatillon…. simon de montfort

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Breetai posted:

Why in the suffering gently caress Am I agreeing with her, of all people, over Labour in relation to a political position involving bigotry?

I'm not saying that you gotta hand it to her, but Jacqui (with the exceptions of some specific issues with Islam and ideas regards China and Australian foreign policy) generally falls towards the left on these kind of issues and she is very much against that kind of political bullshit.

As someone who has to consider where to number her on the senate ballot, she is a frustrating mix of social justice and weird Facebook talking points.

To be honest, there's one of her policies that I'm sure we'd all agree with:

https://jacquilambie.com/products/the-best-print-ever?variant=39671526949023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo

Speaking of which, shout out to the person actually running against Clive in his seat, Georgia Steele

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

From FB, there are people in Canberra protesting other things at the same time as the freedom convoy group which probably make it look larger than it is. Here are a few from the justice for refugees crowd.

You can see some upside down flags in the background. I wonder if the groups try to stay away from each other, or if there is any cross over?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Elissimpark posted:

Okay who wants this for an avatar?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 9, 2022

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

From FB, there are people in Canberra protesting other things at the same time as the freedom convoy group which probably make it look larger than it is. Here are a few from the justice for refugees crowd.

You can see some upside down flags in the background. I wonder if the groups try to stay away from each other, or if there is any cross over?

Cafe Locked out, who’ve been doing a lot of the live streaming, went over to have a look at “the other protest”, and the comments on the video really let slip just how shallow their commitment to the idea of “freedom” really is.

Also in one of the livestreams tonight they were openly talking about the Great Replacement theory. (Literal white supremacism, Europeans brought freedom to the world, used to run the joint, then the globalists made everyone fight with WW2 and woke identity politics etc)

There are significant rifts in the scene, but it seems like instead of expelling the extreme elements they’re going to “respect” them and try and work together.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 9, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Remember she got into Parliament as a Palmer United Party candidate. So she has had personal dealings with Clive.

No wonder she hates him so.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Doesn't the ALP hold a number of seats that voted against gay marriage, by some margin? How will the ALP win power without retaining these seats, or are you saying they wouldn't lose these seats on these issues, or that by turning down the Government's bill they would win other seats to make up for these losses? Or am I not understanding something?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

go_banana posted:

How will the ALP win power without retaining these seats, or are you saying they wouldn't lose these seats on these issues

Yes. What makes you think the outcome of a postal vote specifically about a single issue is going to have a broader bearing on a federal election?

This entire bill is happening because it's the PM's pet project, most Australians probably don't even notice it's going on.

edit - e.g.

https://twitter.com/DavidSligar/status/1491538656015925251

freebooter fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 9, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

go_banana posted:

Doesn't the ALP hold a number of seats that voted against gay marriage, by some margin? How will the ALP win power without retaining these seats, or are you saying they wouldn't lose these seats on these issues, or that by turning down the Government's bill they would win other seats to make up for these losses? Or am I not understanding something?

Yeah a lot of Labor's base are massively bigoted but dad didn't vote Liberal or they are deeply religious immigrants.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If we end up with a hung parliament which way do the crossbenchers swing? Katter and Kelly obviously back the Libs, and Bandt and Wilkie would back Labor, so that cancels out. I assume Steggall would also back the Libs, while Haines and Sharkie might go one way or the other depending on what kind of concessions they could wring out for pet projects?

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

freebooter posted:

If we end up with a hung parliament which way do the crossbenchers swing? Katter and Kelly obviously back the Libs, and Bandt and Wilkie would back Labor, so that cancels out. I assume Steggall would also back the Libs, while Haines and Sharkie might go one way or the other depending on what kind of concessions they could wring out for pet projects?

I can see steggall going with labor for a guarantee on climate change policy

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Remember she got into Parliament as a Palmer United Party candidate. So she has had personal dealings with Clive.

No wonder she hates him so.

If you go to her website, the original painting is there for sale, for $2.5M, but only to Clive.

The website also has that photo of her stuffing the sauce-covered dagwood dog into her face, so I will hand that to her.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Elissimpark posted:

If you go to her website, the original painting is there for sale, for $2.5M, but only to Clive.

The website also has that photo of her stuffing the sauce-covered dagwood dog into her face, so I will hand that to her.

Holy poo poo you're not joking hahahah

https://jacquilambie.com/products/the-original-just-for-clive

lih
May 15, 2013

go_banana posted:

there are a bunch of western sydney labor seats that voted against ssm, yeah, but only 2 or 3 are marginal, most of them are on giant margins. they're mostly poor, migrant heavy areas. they lost a single seat there last election but it was emma husar's so obviously that was a situation where the sitting labor mp was disendorsed amdist a ton of drama causing bigger problems for labor. if it was really going to be a serious wedge there, ssm would surely have had a bigger impact last election and those communities are not the core constituent of this bill - it's the acl & religious schools. labor are simply bad at politics and bad at communication - it's pretty easy to say "we want a religious discrimination bill but this one is too divisive and doesn't protect everyone and the chaotic government can't even get its mps to agree with it, so we can't support it"

freebooter posted:

kelly is going to lose his seat. steggall, haines and sharkie will go with whoever gives the best concessions to them but i suspect they'd all find it easier to work with labor given their priorities more closely align.

lih fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 10, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Elissimpark posted:

I'm not saying that you gotta hand it to her, but Jacqui (with the exceptions of some specific issues with Islam and ideas regards China and Australian foreign policy) generally falls towards the left on these kind of issues and she is very much against that kind of political bullshit.

She's the most frustrating person in politics because so many of her views are actually quite good, she's practically to the left of Labour on a whole range of issues, and seems to be an actual human being who cares about people rather than just another politician, but then she opens her mouth while thinking of brown people and something racist pops out.

Waiter, this delicious sundae has a fleck of poo in it and I can't quite bring myself to eat around it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Breetai posted:

She's the most frustrating person in politics because so many of her views are actually quite good, she's practically to the left of Labour on a whole range of issues, and seems to be an actual human being who cares about people rather than just another politician, but then she opens her mouth while thinking of brown people and something racist pops out.

Waiter, this delicious sundae has a fleck of poo in it and I can't quite bring myself to eat around it.

That's a great analogy.

Also, she is also capable of change as she 180'd on refugees after being on Go Back to Where You Came From, but I feel that also means she can be uncritical of some more wackadoo ideas.

Considering she grew up in Ulverstone, which I recently learnt was labelled the most homophobic town in Australia back in the '90's, I can see why she is what she is. It's an odd thing to say, but she's very much of Tasmania.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This owns.

lih
May 15, 2013

religious discrimination bill is now off the agenda & thus very unlikely to pass in any form before the election unless the government wants to try again on the remaining two days at the end of march (budget day & the day after).

somehow labor in all their incoherence might have actually managed to achieve a good outcome here

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

lih
May 15, 2013

government sources saying the bill is dead until after the election!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

lih posted:

religious discrimination bill is now off the agenda & thus very unlikely to pass in any form before the election unless the government wants to try again on the remaining two days at the end of march (budget day & the day after).

somehow labor in all their incoherence might have actually managed to achieve a good outcome here

How's it off the agenda, government isn't going to try and get it through the Senate because the amendments passed?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Senor Tron posted:

How's it off the agenda, government isn't going to try and get it through the Senate because the amendments passed?

The people they're trying to appeal to with the bill in the first place (shitheads) hate the amendments, so they would need to try to undo the amendments somehow and they likely just don't see a way forwards on that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lih posted:

government sources saying the bill is dead until after the election!

but I thought it passed the house already?

lih
May 15, 2013

bowmore posted:

but I thought it passed the house already?

with labor's amendment to prevent religious discrimination against both gay and trans students (but NOT labor's other amendments). moderate lib senator andrew bragg said he'd cross the floor to support that (& possibly other amendments) whic and the christian lobby called for the bill to be scrapped so now it is not being debated in the senate today and government sources are saying it's off the table for now. it'd be very unlikely they'd have the time to bring it back on budget day anyway.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Labor won? Somehow?

lih
May 15, 2013

better than that, even

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lih posted:

with labor's amendment to prevent religious discrimination against both gay and trans students (but NOT labor's other amendments). moderate lib senator andrew bragg said he'd cross the floor to support that (& possibly other amendments) whic and the christian lobby called for the bill to be scrapped so now it is not being debated in the senate today and government sources are saying it's off the table for now. it'd be very unlikely they'd have the time to bring it back on budget day anyway.
Well good, gently caress that stupid bill.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/1491611832641269761

https://twitter.com/MsGanoosh/status/1491611087816761346

the children are fighting again

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Labor won? Somehow?

Despite their best efforts.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

rofl

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
With Shorten showing us Australia loving hates someone standing up for what's right, I'm going to say good job threading the needle, Labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

oh god yes never in a million years would i dare to hope for a morrison public breakdown, finally a reason to care about the election

meanwhile:

peter dutton posted:

░█████╗░██╗░░██╗██╗███╗░░██╗░█████╗░
██╔══██╗██║░░██║██║████╗░██║██╔══██╗
██║░░╚═╝███████║██║██╔██╗██║███████║
██║░░██╗██╔══██║██║██║╚████║██╔══██║
╚█████╔╝██║░░██║██║██║░╚███║██║░░██║
░╚════╝░╚═╝░░╚═╝╚═╝╚═╝░░╚══╝╚═╝░░╚═╝