Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Revelations 2 is the last major RE i have yet to play and it makes me hype when people say it's a good'un.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

woodenchicken posted:

Revelations 2 is the last major RE i have yet to play and it makes me hype when people say it's a good'un.

Do you like RE4 while also liking older REs? Do you enjoy likeable characters stuck in an incredibly dumb situation? Do you like Dad Jokes? If so, RE Rev2 is going to be a good time for you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

do either of the Revelations games have any revelations in them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Terr doesn't have to end with orist

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I guess Rev2 revealed Barry should've been made Main Cast sooner?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Terr doesn't have to end with orist
number one: that's terror.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I like how people bitched about even having to do monster chases and puzzles in Soma after complaining about how there weren't enough of them in Machine For Pigs.

Guess they wanted more breathing room to experience the Less Wrong-tier philosophy in Soma.

It wasn't the lack of monster chases I didn't like in Machine for Pigs, it was the complete lack of interactivity and near complete lack of puzzles and actual adventure game stuff.

1stGear posted:

In retrospect, expecting The Chinese Room to deliver anything other than a walking simulator with interesting, if not necessarily competent writing was foolish of everybody.

Yeah at the time they had only made Dear Esther and it sounded like AMfP was going to be a Frictional Amnesia game but tapping into Chinese Room to make incredible environments. Turns out it this wasn't the case.

GlyphGryph posted:

I hadnt even realized it had a different dev, I thought it was by the same guys that did the Penumbra games which I had liked quite a bit.

Frictional basically subcontracted to Chinese Room and it didn't work out very well. It was a bad pairing of dev houses and a mistake to call it an Amnesia game. This postmortem about it highlights pretty well what went wrong: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/218372/postmortem_the_chinese_rooms_.php

e: note that this article is 7 pages long. It's good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I'm liking it a lot so far. Walking speed honestly doesn't bother me as the run button does eventually get fairly quick. I still wish there was actual environmental interactivity ala Gone Home but that's not how Chinese Room rolls sadly.

Also I'm still extremely salty about A Machine for Pigs.

You should play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter when you're done, I think you'll like it even more.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Amazing hair maketh the man.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Parker's gonna buy you lunch.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

al-azad posted:

You should play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter when you're done, I think you'll like it even more.

Already have! It was a pretty good game even if the ending was a bizarre tonal shift. I get that the kid wasn't happy and created this character in his head but to play through an entire fairly even keel game only to in the final scene have his brother or uncle or whatever start yelling ETHAN YOU'RE A human being! YOU'RE A loving human being! BEING CREATIVE AND WRITING? gently caress YOU YOU loving human being. It's like oh yeah there's that bizarre over the top Eastern European edginess.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Dreadwroth posted:

I'm pretty sure our pal Ethan either works for Umbrella given the time of the ending, or is now being a shiny new BOW test subject given the end credits start with a weird hallway/door scene it would explain why he isn't really scared of anything. And yes, gently caress idiot Steve right in his stupid face.

That's a good point. If Eveline thinks Mia is her family because of conditioning, what's stopping Ethan from being conditioned to go extract Mia and lead Umbrella to\take out or weaken Eve?

I mean it's probably not that, but you know... it's fun to make up poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like what I've heard about Vanishing, but the creator is a weird gamergate apologist so I could never bring myself to play it

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Thundercracker posted:

That the puzzle dlc is a huge homage to Misery is just great.
!!!
This is amazing

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Yodzilla posted:

Frictional basically subcontracted to Chinese Room and it didn't work out very well. It was a bad pairing of dev houses and a mistake to call it an Amnesia game. This postmortem about it highlights pretty well what went wrong: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/218372/postmortem_the_chinese_rooms_.php

e: note that this article is 7 pages long. It's good.

This is completely from an outsider's POV, but imo this is definitely written by a TCR employee. There's a lot of 'oooh we wanted things to be GOOD but our OVERLORDS made it for CASUALS!' implied in there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I like what I've heard about Vanishing, but the creator is a weird gamergate apologist so I could never bring myself to play it

Yeah I just read his Medium about it. It doesn't change my liking of the game and more than him made it but he's definitely misguided at best.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, people seem to run into that roadblock in CV frequently about not having enough ammo. The trick is that you should be using the knife against zombies almost all the time up to that point, since the Code Veronica incarnation of the knife is one of the few times the knife isn't a useless waste of inventory space in a RE game because it hits multiple times per swing and is easy to stagger zombies with.

I had that problem back when I had it on the Dreamcast. I got CVX on the PS2 some years later, but remembering the Tyrant fight put me off playing it. To date, it's still the only (arguable) mainline title I've never finished.

Night10194 posted:

I guess Rev2 revealed Barry should've been made Main Cast sooner?

The bit where Moira talks about Barry and his 'granny swears' cracked me up. I can easily picture him as the kind of man who hasn't said anything stronger than 'fudge' in 12 years.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Barry is also the Best Dad and manages to turn "Don't worry, I have THIS" into a badass line like ten years after the first time he flubbed it in RE1

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Emily Wants to Play is... not as good a game as I had hoped it would be. Really goes out of its way to not give you any clue whatsoever what you're supposed to actually be doing, and even once you figure it all out it's like a less fun version of FNAF apparently? Is there any way to actually learn how to play this game without consulting a walkthrough?

Also it doesn't have a good "feel" in VR, which is disappointing. Why can you pick up some of the boxes but almost nothing else including the things you might actually want to? Why do you periodically go flying through the walls? Why is it so particular on where it lets you teleport, and why are you sometimes multiple feet off the ground?

Disappointing, overall.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Emily Wants to Play is... not as good a game as I had hoped it would be. Really goes out of its way to not give you any clue whatsoever what you're supposed to actually be doing, and even once you figure it all out it's like a less fun version of FNAF apparently? Is there any way to actually learn how to play this game without consulting a walkthrough?

Also it doesn't have a good "feel" in VR, which is disappointing. Why can you pick up some of the boxes but almost nothing else including the things you might actually want to? Why do you periodically go flying through the walls? Why is it so particular on where it lets you teleport, and why are you sometimes multiple feet off the ground?

Disappointing, overall.

Every hour a new rule is written on the chalkboard. Do the opposite of those rules. So I think Emily requires you to look at her and the clown plays freeze tag etc.

Better yet, uninstall the game and get Tattletail which is a similar concept but better.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Since we're on the subject of indie poo poo, anyone else wish 123 Slaughter Me Street wasn't hot garbage? It's like five minutes of decent-ish horror plot with good presentation(puppet maker accidentally(?) summons demons) stretched over two games that are way too loving long for how simple they are.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

al-azad posted:

Every hour a new rule is written on the chalkboard. Do the opposite of those rules. So I think Emily requires you to look at her and the clown plays freeze tag etc.

Better yet, uninstall the game and get Tattletail which is a similar concept but better.

I never found a chalkboard? I mostly just wandered around reading notes and finding flashlights and dying in the basement because i didnt know what else to do forever. Also I am assuming tattletale doesnt have vr support, am i wrong?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Jukebox Hero posted:

Since we're on the subject of indie poo poo, anyone else wish 123 Slaughter Me Street wasn't hot garbage? It's like five minutes of decent-ish horror plot with good presentation(puppet maker accidentally(?) summons demons) stretched over two games that are way too loving long for how simple they are.

I sure do because the monster designs and animations are fun, but from what I've seen of the game it looks like a slog to play.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I never found a chalkboard? I mostly just wandered around reading notes and finding flashlights and dying in the basement because i didnt know what else to do forever. Also I am assuming tattletale doesnt have vr support, am i wrong?

It's actually a whiteboard in the kitchen, excuse me. And some notes contain clues for the other dolls.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So Hideo says Death Stranding isn't gonna be a horror game...goddamnit Konami

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So Hideo says Death Stranding isn't gonna be a horror game...goddamnit Konami

Probably a action game with somewhat horror like elements?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Haven't we known this for a while now? I thought he said pretty early on after the first trailer was released that it wasn't going to be a "horror" game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just because it's not going to be an explicit horror game, doesn't mean it won't be creepy. Junji Ito's still involved, right? And the two trailers thus far have heavily suggested that it'll have some weird and unsettling content at the very least.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I think people are just disappointed we won't have anything like pt or that really cool trailer that came out after pt.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

In other horror-adjacent news, the guy behind Tangiers has resurfaced. As it turned out, his absence was the result of some severe personal issues that appear to have been sufficiently wrangled to allow work to continue on the game.

Also, there was a demo/concept thingy for the Pathologic remake back in December called "The Marble Nest." It's janky, but it's basically a test build designed to show off what the main game will be like.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Ineffiable posted:

So Resident Evil 4?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The "horror" scenes in MGSV like the hospital intro were pretty effective and I hope that there are spooky bits in Death Stranding. All the trailers have had an off-putting vibe that I like.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kojima can do horror stuff really well, like mission 21 in MGSV, but there was no way the game was ever going to be 100% horror. He's been saying it's an action game from the start, and that's just what he does - introducing themes/mechanics/aesthetics/gameplay styles that are fully fleshed out and could make for entire games by themselves then dropping them forever half an hour later is kind of his thing

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Ineffiable posted:

It's going to be MGS in everything but name.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Kojima can do horror stuff really well, like mission 21 in MGSV, but there was no way the game was ever going to be 100% horror. He's been saying it's an action game from the start, and that's just what he does - introducing themes/mechanics/aesthetics/gameplay styles that are fully fleshed out and could make for entire games by themselves then dropping them forever half an hour later is kind of his thing

Will Death Stranding have Kojima's favorite comedic Easter Eggs like MGS does? Like a mode where Mads is nude and covering his crotch with one hand at all times and Guillermo holds an underground dance party with the zombie soldiers.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Has anyone tried Detention? It got pretty good reviews and looks pretty good in the trailers but not sure if I want to plop down $10 without any first-hand thoughts.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Will Death Stranding have Kojima's favorite comedic Easter Eggs like MGS does? Like a mode where Mads is nude and covering his crotch with one hand at all times and Guillermo holds an underground dance party with the zombie soldiers.
absolutely

spudsbuckley posted:

It's going to be MGS in everything but name.
Untrue: it's just a working title for MGSV Chapter 3.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Has anyone tried Detention? It got pretty good reviews and looks pretty good in the trailers but not sure if I want to plop down $10 without any first-hand thoughts.

HarshlyCritical did a playthrough. Solid game with a lot of Silent Hill influences, got a little abstract for me by the end.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

There will be one unskippablr scene where the player is urinated on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

absolutely

Untrue: it's just a working title for MGSV Chapter 3.

It would be fantastic if it just picked up where mgs5 ended only with all the serial numbers filed off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I just want a return of Secret Theater.