Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

symbolic posted:

People probably groaned about "Newke" because it's notorious for FPS drops.

With the gaming setups they are running on lans I doubt the fps drops is even noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

fyallm posted:

With the gaming setups they are running on lans I doubt the fps drops is even noticeable.

contrary to popular belief a lot of lan computer are bad

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Na'vi just lost 16-3 on cobble, and they won both pistols. Fnatic hasn't looked this strong in a while.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://clips.twitch.tv/eleaguetv/AdorablePorcupineShadyLulu

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Smithereens posted:

contrary to popular belief a lot of lan computer are bad

Photek, confirm or deny?

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

That happened.

Also the crowd just got really loving annoying when all the constant WOOOing started a few minutes ago.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

fyallm posted:

Photek, confirm or deny?

apparently the MLG columbus computers were good and the ESL cologne computers were extremely bad

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Jeza posted:

ESEA has pretty much always been superior to FaceIT imo, except maybe that time that the queues got really long apparently.

Pros of ESEA:

Instant joining of servers, also no cancelled games. One of the absolute most aggravating things on FaceIT.
Secure Anti-Cheat
Better servers
Never get shafted by having Captain pick the shittest server for you (mostly an EU problem).
Less leavers, slightly less toxic.

Cons of ESEA:

If you solo Q, you can be put as a ringer in garbage losing games.
People playing weirdly aggro to pad their RWS (less of a thing than it was)
YOU HAVE TO PAY
It's run by douchebags, kinda.
No map veto system if that matters to you.

The thing I like about ESEA the most is that I've only ever run across like one, maybe two, dodgy people ever, in all my games. It all just feels so much more...legit. It's so noticeable that you're not getting bullshitted by some Private Profile, Rank 1 exp account. It has a real peace of mind factor. In general, although the calibre of players is probably relatively similar, there's an extent to which everybody just seems more "poo poo" than usual.

in the cons section you forgot the part where esea drops a rootkit on your box

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

fyallm posted:

Photek, confirm or deny?

Yeah the MLG computers were excellent they were actually built in shop, I don't remember the exact specs but afaik MLG wasn't bound by a computer sponsor.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Hiko or someone was complaining about the computers at the last major. Someone posted a video of a stream highlight on reddit. I look at the videos but the discussion is insufferable.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

https://clips.twitch.tv/eleaguetv/ImpossiblePorcupineJKanStyle

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to all who answered my questions.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

venutolo posted:

cssource versus 1.6
CSSource was really broken and had some extremely stupid mechanics, like flashbangs blinding everyone near them even if they were thrown to max height straight above and jump peeking with an AWP. Also, there was an ambitious league sponsored by direct TV which changed the round and economy mechanics. I can't speak to specifics on them but a lot of people hated them. MFJames was right in that hitboxes were really hosed and the deagle was arguably the best weapon in the game.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Smol posted:

NVENC, which is Nvidia's hardware video encoder chip, landed in the GeForce 600 series. You should get a pretty big performance boost, since right now your CPU is encoding the video, and CS:GO is a CPU-intensive game.

Yeah, thanks. I can really tell the difference already. For reference:

old card:

http://plays.tv/s/KtjjP7WdlWkB

new card:

http://plays.tv/s/KtjkE2-y6ByO

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

exethan posted:

CSSource was really broken and had some extremely stupid mechanics, like flashbangs blinding everyone near them even if they were thrown to max height straight above and jump peeking with an AWP. Also, there was an ambitious league sponsored by direct TV which changed the round and economy mechanics. I can't speak to specifics on them but a lot of people hated them. MFJames was right in that hitboxes were really hosed and the deagle was arguably the best weapon in the game.

CGS hosed the economy to try and make the game more exciting and it unfortunately spilled over into pugs for a long time. When CGS died so did the economy, back to mr15 :)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Source things:

It started with mr12, soon moved to mr15. 16k + mr9 was a really brief period only and I don't think I played more than a handful of games with it.

Spraying was more viable in CS:S than 1.6, and in many ways it resembles CS:GO now. Tapping was maybe slightly better in Source than CS:GO simply due to the fact that the head hitbox was larger, relative to 1.6 and CS:GO. Worse than 1.6 however, and there was no inaccuracy reset bug/feature.

Grenades were actually grenades, and work just like they do in CS:GO (except no alt-throws) whereas in 1.6 they were a bit like bricks. Flashbangs were more effective in Source than both CS:GO and 1.6, and smokes more effective than 1.6. For that reason a lot of the top end play of Source was more "tactical" than 1.6 and involved a lot of complex executes. Pretty much the same as CS:GO is now.

Wallbanging through surfaces was like CS:GO, although wooden boxes were more spammable. It had only limited spots where you could shoot through walls unlike 1.6.

As other people have mentioned, the Deagle was really strong in Source (although never a replacement for a rifle). The half buy rounds in CS:GO were mirrored in Source by Decos (Deagle Ecos or Swedish ecos) where you bought full kevlar and a Deagle.

As to why it never took off, Source was released in a bad state and it was a long time to be fixed. The engine was changed to Orange Box in 2008 or 2009, 5 years after release. For the entire time, a lot of the bugs in the game had to be ironed out by a 3rd party plugin known as zBlock. A bit like players leaving WoW to try a new MMO and finding it shallow in comparison, a lot of people tried Source, found it basically unfinished and went back to 1.6. It also never took off in places with bad computers because it was a relatively demanding game at the time to run at 100 fps, and that made up the a significant portion, maybe even a majority of 1.6 players.

CS:GO is now unarguably a more polished and competitive version of Source, although it still has a lot of bullshit in my opinion, such as the jumping/running accuracy that wasn't in either 1.6 or Source. The only things I miss from Source especially are: the MP5 and Deagle, because they were just satisfying as hell to use, and the visual clarity which in my view is objectively superior to both 1.6 and CS:GO, which are grungy and muddy in comparison.

(this has bloom or hdr enabled or something, but yeah, v. bright)

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
GO takes a lot more from Source than it does 1.6, especially near release.

gross

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The deagle in 1.6 was awesome, 1 taps from across the map, top 3 guns were AK, deagle and AWP no particular order. I also forgot to mention wall banging, you could wallbang almost everything in 1.6. The big brown boxes on dust2? If those were in 1.6, you would have been able to shoot through them, a concrete wall 10 feet thick? Shoot through the motherfucker. I recall many times in random pub servers I'd buy the m249 (I swear that's not the name I remember...) on de_dust and you could wall bang from inside the tunnel up into CT spawn. Another specific spot I can think of right now is de_dust2, what is now known as car, you could wallbang through that to the T-side tunnel entrance and annihilate people.

I miss wall banging, but a lot of the time it was WAY over the top, like 4-5 bullets through a metal door could kill someone from an AK, stuff like that.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

MF_James posted:

I miss wall banging, but a lot of the time it was WAY over the top, like 4-5 bullets through a metal door could kill someone from an AK, stuff like that.

And we liked it that way, too! :corsair:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I think I've put this in this thread many times but it's so good.

n0thing doing ridiculous poo poo on nuke in 1.6

https://youtu.be/Qkb_RSvtkUA

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

VP is probably going to take this game, even if it goes to a third map their mirage is probably 2nd best in the world.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Photex posted:

VP is probably going to take this game, even if it goes to a third map their mirage is probably 2nd best in the world.

Sadly it doesn't matter who wins, because fnatic can blow up either team tomorrow.

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

MF_James posted:

I recall many times in random pub servers I'd buy the m249 (I swear that's not the name I remember...) ...

It was listed as Para in the menus I think.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I wish csgo would allow nuke to have 1.6 walls and floors because thats what made that map so loving awesome

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/759420516008550400
https://twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/759421743417008128

Obligatory :tinfoil:.

Second tweet most likely refers to Zeus saying that NaVi aren't making changes, since it's pretty much guaranteed that s1mple is replacing someone on that team. Don't know what the first could refer to.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

https://www.twitch.tv/eleaguetv if anybody was unaware, Fnatic - VP finals happening now.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
http://plays.tv/video/579d12c79d1f44e47f/is-only-game

End | G2A Scrublord left the game (Disconnect)

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
u guy excited for shuffle sunday?

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

who wudda thunk that vp would be ahead on cobblestone. 1.6 neo and taz flashbacks :poland:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Seeing Neo and Taz dominate is so sweet. :killdozer:

whattup now swedes woooo

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
You know, when VP basically backed out of online leagues I thought it would spell their inevitable doom, but honestly, I think it's the best thing that they could have done for themselves. While it still takes a little bit for them to get into gear, when they do it's full bore ahead.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Smithereens posted:

who wudda thunk that vp would be ahead on cobblestone. 1.6 neo and taz flashbacks :poland:

I'm honestly surprised how amazing their cbble is nowadays. Half a year ago or so I always cringed when I saw them playing it, now they beat SK and fnatic on it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What was that round! Unbelievable.

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right
Fnatic tilting.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

wish we could have seen flusha raging

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Goofballs posted:

wish we could have seen flusha raging

I was thinkin that too. Someone will post gifs I'm sure.

This is really weird. Fnatic is looking really outclassed today. Yesterday they looked like they might stroll right through.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

https://clips.twitch.tv/viasatexplore/GiftedDunlinNinjaTroll there we go, flusha raging

fnatic still getting outright destroyed

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I love the virtus.plow :unsmith:

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right
I kept assuming fnatic was actually joking or playing mind games when they said they haven't been practicing in interviews lately. Silly me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

possibly they should rethink that no practice thing