Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Magnificent snipe.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

amazing

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

lol

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Not Ali, but I guess this is the best place for it: I bought a motorcycle jacket from Amazon (for stylish warmth, not for motorcycling). It was advertised as Prime-eligible, but that's only for one size/style. Mine shipped yesterday, three days after I ordered it, and has apparently just left Karachi, Pakistan. They say it'll be here (Texas) on 5-8 March. Any bets on the delivery date?

Also, according to the Amazon reviews, it's a really good jacket for the price, but has to be hung outside for a few days to allow the stench to dissipate, because it has that unique petroleum-esque smell of cheap leather poo poo from Asia. When I was a kid I got a pair of repro Vietnam-era jungle boots from a catalog, I know that smell. And, living in the middle of the biggest oilfield outside the Middle East, I know the smell of crude oil, and it is indeed strikingly similar.

Edit: oh, it's in Dubai now, according to the FedEx site.

Edit again: I accidentally sent it to the wrong address (my home, where I will not be next week, meant to send it to my parents' house, where my retired father is always present). The FedEx site asks questions to verify your identity, and apparently I've had a roommate named Kevin Tyler that I never noticed.

Fun fact: you can't change the delivery address as a recipient, but you can put a "hold at location" order, so my jacket will be dumped at the nearest Walgreens drugstore to my house, presumably annoying the employees. The list of locations had six Walgreenses and one FedEx depot, I guess because the drugstores get daily FedEx deliveries. (and the depot is waaaay across town).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 3, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Haha that rules

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Someone is straight up selling mussels that may or may not contain pearls like some kind of mystery box

http://s.aliexpress.com/m6nmaMV3

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh jesus that's going to be great getting those after weeks in the mail.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Them if you want a certificate for your new pearls it’s another :10bux:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/brIkMinQ

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bummey posted:

Someone is straight up selling mussels that may or may not contain pearls like some kind of mystery box

loot boxes getting out of hand

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Pick posted:

hell yes. and the glass ones are really good. search "glass nail file" and filter by orders.

Mine just came in, after a month, and it looks like the abrasive is sprayed on rather than etched. :| I mean, a dollar, but.

e: oh, yeah, this poo poo scrapes right off, just from regular use. I took a penny to it and scraped off the surface just as easily. It tears the nail same as sandpaper boards. These are really bad, and every other glass file I see online (not on ali) look identical to these so they're all a total crapshoot.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 6, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

apparently its a thing on amazon too like what the hell

https://www.amazon.com/2018-Freshwater-Cultured-Oyster-Inside-Colors/dp/B07CPLNM14

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bummey posted:

Mine just came in, after a month, and it looks like the abrasive is sprayed on rather than etched. :| I mean, a dollar, but.

e: oh, yeah, this poo poo scrapes right off, just from regular use. I took a penny to it and scraped off the surface just as easily. It tears the nail same as sandpaper boards. These are really bad, and every other glass file I see online (not on ali) look identical to these so they're all a total crapshoot.

bummer, you got ali'd. mine were good?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've stumbled across livestreams of people shucking like a hundred oysters and letting viewers buy sets of oysters and get the pearls shipped to them and it's

the gently caress

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, that's a known thing with glass files and very common on amazon, ali, etc. What I did was buy 4 different ones from different vendors -- 3 of the 4 were good, 1 was garbage. Buying 4 from Ali was still half the price of buying just one in a local drugstore. :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its like turtle treasures but in real life

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Nature's blind bags

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you go to a state fair, sometimes you'll see a booth with live oysters. Pick one, they open it, you keep what's inside, and they can turn the pearl(s) into jewelry for you to pick up that evening

Would not try to have one live oyster shipped from China, though

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 6, 2019

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Anne Whateley posted:

If you go to a state fair, sometimes you'll see a booth with live oysters. Pick one, they open it, you keep what's inside, and they can turn the pearl(s) into jewelry for you to pick up that evening

Would not try to have one live oyster shipped from China, though

coward

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Warning: May cause Red Tide Poisoning.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

Warning: May cause Red Tide Poisoning.

Tide Poisoning is the new Tide Pod :yum:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Bummey posted:

They are most likely to all contain a pearl, since the only way you're not getting one is if they accidentally missed implanting a bead or if the mussel didn't survive the implanting process. "Natural" pearls are near impossible to find because the chances of cracking open a clam that happened to have a speck of sand stuck in it at some point are hella low, they're all farmed and the claims in the listing saying it's 100% natural is bullshit.

Having said that, I'm intrigued by the idea of digging through rotten mollusc to extract a stinky pearl.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is the scam that they had sand artificially put inside them to form a real pearl "unnaturally" or is the scam that they had fake pearls shoved into them?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

BattleMaster posted:

Is the scam that they had sand artificially put inside them to form a real pearl "unnaturally" or is the scam that they had fake pearls shoved into them?

The scam is claiming the pearls occurred naturally, when yes, they've been seeded. These are two different products - naturally occurring pearls count as a gemstone, and the price is well higher than farmed pearls, but good luck trying to find non-farmed pearls. Also, they claim there's no plastic which is highly unlikely, it takes too long to grow a nice big pearl from a sand grain. They put big plastic beads inside and wait for the clam to give it a thin coating, then harvest. The thin coating means the lustre of the pearl will be poor, and the thin coating will soon rub off, leaving you with ugly blotchy beads. Higher-quality pearls will be left alone years longer, to allow for more layers to form on the bead, giving the pearl a better lustre and durability. Since you can't tell the quality of a pearl here before you open the clam up, I'd be willing to be the quality's not gonna be good. Most people won't know the difference, so it doesn't really matter if you just want to dig for a shiny thing inside a clam.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's oysters, not clams, that produce pearls.

It's true basically all pearls start from deliberately introduced seeds. The seeds are usually small spheres of mussel shell, rather than plastic or whatever, due to compatibility. The term is "cultured pearls." It's pretty cool imo, it's been going on for over 100 years. It's not a scam, like 99% of pearls are cultured, although yeah there are levels of quality and no you still shouldn't really trust aliexpress.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Scam Clams

Boistered Oysters

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have found a pearl in a mussel twice in my life. Almost cracked a tooth once.

They were not super pretty, but they were pearls not from an oyster for sure

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah true, you can also find them in mussels, just rarer. Looking into it, it looks like the aliexpress pearls are probably grown in freshwater mussels, which I didn't know. Nicer cultured pearls are grown in saltwater oysters, usually individually.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

heeheex2 posted:

Scam Clams

Boistered Oysters

hustle mussels

bollocks molluscs

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

phony abalone

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

lmao

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I used to do the pearl thing at the state fair every year when I was a kid. It was fun because I was a weird kid I guess and I liked jewelry. I got twinsies out of one once and got earrings. I still have a little crack baggie of like half a dozen loose pearls from that stuff (along with a big bag of uncut gemstones from one of those "buy a bucket of dirt and go mining" places)

my mom found an unopened pearl "kit" at goodwill and gave it to me for christmas last year. it was a box with a crappy little cage necklace setting and then a tuna can-like container with the mollusk in it that you had to pry open. It was in some smelly liquid and pretty drat gross. worth the $5 for laughs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yeah they did that to me on wish, so i quit using it. turns out wish was just a more expensive ali anyway

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Libelous bivalves

Shell game shellfish

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

steamed clams

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Clams can also produce pearls, I have one from a giant clam but it's a garbage blister pearl natch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

D'oh, no. I said steamed hams! That's what I call hamburgers!