Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Its obvious what you're supposed to do there with the terrain but the fact that they have multiple units with sensor lock and weapons that ignore LOS screws it up in a weird way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

A.o.D. posted:

I just realized that they only gave the ac10 8 shots per ton. Wtf, why?

It went through a period of being kind of baller during the beta when it did 75 damage a pop and I think it was part of the balancing to make it less rediculous but now it's the other way round because it's bad

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Help! I have a horrible compunction to try and fill every hardpoint on a mech. Needless to say, my builds are...less than ideal.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mordja posted:

Help! I have a horrible compunction to try and fill every hardpoint on a mech. Needless to say, my builds are...less than ideal.

...sooo don't do that? Or use lighter weapons if you really must fill everything out. Post your builds.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BurntCornMuffin posted:

...sooo don't do that?

No.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

imweasel09 posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new campaign and replacing the blackjack with a black knight since i only saw one the entire campaign and now everything is assault country. How would i go about doing this, or just making it so they can show up in my finished one.

Open up C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants\SimGameConstants.json and change the line that says

"StartingPlayerMech" : "mechdef_blackjack_BJ-1",

to

"StartingPlayerMech" : "mechdef_blackknight_BL-6-KNT.",

This won't happen until after the tutorial, btw, so don't worry that it didn't work if you start a new game and don't see it immediately.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordja posted:

How? There are a ton of mechs you literally cannot fill out every hard point on.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
At some point the enemy AI got really loving smart and now I get outflanked every time I try a thing.

Cool.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Mordja posted:

Do you really want ideal? Or do you want MORE DAKKA :orks101:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mordja posted:

My problem is wanting builds to be symmetrical.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My problem is wanting builds to be symmetrical.

My problem is wanting every mech to have an ac20

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sdoots posted:

At some point the enemy AI got really loving smart and now I get outflanked every time I try a thing.

Cool.

Position yourself in a way that will ensure you can't get outflanked. Hug the border of the map and spread out your dudes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Im messing with jsons to make a few weapons, such as light acs and maybe some lbx acs, and there is a few values; "shots fired" and "projectiles per shot".

I take it the first one is how much ammo it uses, what is the second one? Just the animation? Does it affect damage? Could I make an lbx that does spread damage, or a rotary ac that fires multiple rounds?

Edit: comparing srms and pulse lasers, it seems that "shots" are ammo used and also the amount of actual hits, while "projectiles" are just the animations. An SRM 6, for instance, has shots 6 projectiles 1, and fires 6 individual missiles, each one doing damage. While a pulse laser has shots 1 projectiles 3, so the animation is of a 3 rounds burst, but only hits one location once for damage.

I think a rotary ac would be multiple shots, single projectile, while an lbx would be single shot, multi projectile (but wouldn't be spread).

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 2, 2018

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Open up C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants\SimGameConstants.json and change the line that says

"StartingPlayerMech" : "mechdef_blackjack_BJ-1",

to

"StartingPlayerMech" : "mechdef_blackknight_BL-6-KNT.",

This won't happen until after the tutorial, btw, so don't worry that it didn't work if you start a new game and don't see it immediately.

yeah it seems the black knight and cataphract are amongst the rarest mechs. I love the look of the cataphract and am thinking of restarting to start with one. I rolling with full assaults, have seen 2 black knights luckily salvaged one, seen only one cataphract in the entire game.

Yet to see a King Crab or an Opfor Atlas. Enforcers didn't show up until i was long past using them as well but now seem not too uncommon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CalvinandHobbes posted:

yeah it seems the black knight and cataphract are amongst the rarest mechs. I love the look of the cataphract and am thinking of restarting to start with one. I rolling with full assaults, have seen 2 black knights luckily salvaged one, seen only one cataphract in the entire game.

Yet to see a King Crab or an Opfor Atlas. Enforcers didn't show up until i was long past using them as well but now seem not too uncommon.

Huh, Black Knights were the most common heavy for me. I got one as my first heavy.

Still barely saw any Catapults and zero Cataphracts.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oops

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hah restarting with an OP mexh seems like it could be hilarious.

I do hate how the game makes it really hard to Collect Them All. I have yet to see a stalker at all.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hah restarting with an OP mexh seems like it could be hilarious.

I do hate how the game makes it really hard to Collect Them All. I have yet to see a stalker at all.

My problem is that when I see a mech I want, I also get more mechs I want at the same time. Like Atlas vs Stalker. Or I do a mission and give up salvage for money, and I could have gotten a catapult..

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

CalvinandHobbes posted:

My best results when i went mech pokemon hunting for KC/Atlases were 5 skull assassination missions. It seems like the target basically has to be in a 100 tonner at that point since the rest are already assault mechs.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Booley posted:

My problem is wanting every mech to have an ac20

not seeing the problem here

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Had to restart a mission when I knocked an enemy mech down and it couldn't get back up on its turn.

I already cockpit sniped two heavies during it. :cry:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Party Plane Jones posted:

Had to restart a mission when I knocked an enemy mech down and it couldn't get back up on its turn.

I already cockpit sniped two heavies during it. :cry:

i have a midmission save that refuses to load (it just hangs) and i'm pretty sad about this

that midmission save, if i can get it to go, will give me a K2

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CalvinandHobbes posted:

If you want to see more/harder mechs in general, the easiest way to do it is edit a few of the lance files.

In
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\lance,
open up something like lancedef_mech_d6_dynamic_MedHeavyBattle.json

This is a typical battle lance that will show up, and it specifically says it'll always have two mediums, a medium or heavy, and then a guaranteed heavy.

The lance files pick what mechs can go in their pools using these tags:
code:
"unitTagSet" : {
            "items" : [
               "unit_mech",
               "unit_medium"
            ],
            "tagSetSourceFile" : "Tags/UnitTags"
         },
         "excludedUnitTagSet" : {
            "items" : [
               "unit_lance_vanguard",
               "unit_noncombatant",
			   "unit_urbie"
            ],
            "tagSetSourceFile" : "Tags/UnitTags"
         },
This looks for a unit that is both A) A Mech, and B), a medium.
Then it throws out anything that is either a noncombat unit, an Urbie (rip), or a unit tagged with the vanguard designation (Which is like.. Dragon, Griffin, Jenner, Locust, Shad 2H, Spider, or Wolverine 6R) for whatever reason.

So if you wanted to make this lance more difficult, you could change unit_medium to unit_heavy or unit_assault.

I think the relative frequency of which mechs show up though is still based on the rarity entry in the mechdef file. Where Locusts are rarity 0 and an Atlas is rarity 5.

So you could also change the atlas to be rarity 3 or w/e.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Playing through on stock designs is going quite well so far although Smithon proved rather nasty. Orion, Kintaro and 2 Trebs just squeaked it with much repair and med bay time but no losses.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Start the game up, run a random battle contract... 8v4, null sweat. Everything is going fine, then a half-dead Thunderbolt decides to DFA a torso containing two SRM6++ (+4 Dmg) off of my Atlas. Feel sad, replace them with just looted SRM6+++ (+4 Dmg, +2 Stab) that I just looted, and SRM6+ (+2 Dmg), then go into the storyline mission where you have to destroy three generators powering AA turrets.

Everything is going fine, then Vindicator from reinforcements decides to DFA the same loving side off of my Atlas :cripes:

And I loot another SRM6+++, and have another SRM6+ in storage to replace this loss the same way I did last time. By now I'm kind of expecting the next mission to end up with another DFA to the side :v:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I actually really like how I can't just go down to Space-Mart and buy any mech I want like in all previous games. Makes the Salvage vs. Money slider really matter. Just getting getting a third of a mech I'm trying to collect is pretty cool. Completing the mech feels like an accomplishment more-so than just saving up the C-Bills.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So the two expansions are probably going to be the Second Succession War and Clan Wars, right?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
More likely 4th SW and then Clans.

Clans are the obvious path because they already have models by PGI.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'd assume that clans are a second full game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rookersh posted:

So the two expansions are probably going to be the Second Succession War and Clan Wars, right?

2nd SW would be a big step back in time. Probably 4th SW, with a side bet on maybe having a fleshed out 3rd SW era (so same time frame as the current game) campaign somewhere else in the IS.

I don't know how they allocate production resources, but something where they had to make a map for the "northern" half of the IS map near the periphery during the 3rd SW might let them make new map assets for a salable product without having to make and balance new weapons, mechs etc. Maybe something with the Rasalhague independence movement and them breaking away from the Draconis Combine. That whole area gets deep dicked during the clan invasion, so if they wanted to move on to a clan game later they could reuse the map and stick in the new mech etc assets.

Maybe do 3rd or 4th SW stuff as expansions for this with an eye towards developing those map assets before doing clans as a 2nd game.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gaukler posted:

This_is_the_urbanmech.jpg

Threw this together, it's kind of crappy.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Bought this played the tutorial and some easy peasy contracts, seems pretty fun and something I can get into but I really have no idea what I am doing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is simgameconstant.json the right Voorhees to edit if I want to 'fix' the AC/10?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BadLlama posted:

Bought this played the tutorial and some easy peasy contracts, seems pretty fun and something I can get into but I really have no idea what I am doing.

The difficulty definitely ramps up.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

BadLlama posted:

Run your roboman up to enemy roboman. Punch and kick enemy roboman to death, profit.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Super 3 posted:

Run your roboman up to enemy roboman. Punch and kick enemy roboman to death, profit.

Don't even mount weapons. Be the robo Kung Fu master.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Each variant of each weapon is its own .json file in the weapon folder. So no, you need to edit all of the AC10 files manually.

Back Hack posted:

Threw this together, it's kind of crappy.

:pusheen:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Is simgameconstant.json the right Voorhees to edit if I want to 'fix' the AC/10?

You'll want to hit up the data\weapon folder and fiddle with all 11 of the AC10 json's. Yes, each improved variant is it's own full definition file and no they don't inherit from the default and just change what is improved on the + versions. Have fun!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Super 3 posted:

How does one acquire better kung fu master robomans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think I'll leave the damage values alone for head chopper reasons, but tweak the ammo, stability, and heat values to try to make them appropriately balanced.