Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, my country sucks and we have a ban on imports, which is making buying a new bike a bloody nightmare.

I'm not savvy enough to buy a used one, someone could sell me a 125 engine on a cheap body, tell me it's a cbr600 and I'd probably fall for it, so I'm getting a brand new one. I've had a Suzuki 125 for around 4 years, and I want to get a 250. Options are quite limited as per above mentioned imports ban, and anything above 250 is ridiculously expensive, so right now I'm torn between two choices:

Honda CBX 250 "Twister"

Yamaha YS 250 "Fazer"

They're pretty much the same bike, size and style-wise, the main differences being that the Yamaha has electronic fuel injection and the Honda has a carburetor; and the yamaha has a rear disc brake and digital dashboard, while the honda has a caliper brake on the rear wheel and an analog dashboard. Also IMHO the Yamaha is much prettier, but that may be me.

I actually have a down payment on the Yamaha since early March, but they have no idea when they will be getting it (it was supposed to come in during April, now they're saying May at the earliest), nor at what price range. The last time they had on stock it cost 6000 USD (converting it from local currency), but I'm seriously considering it'll be around the 6500 price range once it comes in.

Meanwhile, the Honda is available right now for 5000 USD, with no wait time.

So my question would be: Are those 3 things (injection, rear disc brake, digital dash) enough to justify the ~1500 dollar difference? Should I just go for the Honda and stop faffing about, or does injection make THAT much of a difference?

Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I can't comment on the bikes, having never heard of them before in Freedom Land, but holy gently caress that's expensive for some bog standard 250s.

edit: I guess I'll post a real reply.

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, my country sucks and we have a ban on imports, which is making buying a new bike a bloody nightmare.

I'm not savvy enough to buy a used one, someone could sell me a 125 engine on a cheap body, tell me it's a cbr600 and I'd probably fall for it, so I'm getting a brand new one. I've had a Suzuki 125 for around 4 years, and I want to get a 250. Options are quite limited as per above mentioned imports ban, and anything above 250 is ridiculously expensive, so right now I'm torn between two choices:

Used Ninja 250? You have the internet at your disposal and the bike is a zillion years old, so the lack of knowledge is easily dealt with.

Edmond Dantes posted:

They're pretty much the same bike, size and style-wise, the main differences being that the Yamaha has electronic fuel injection and the Honda has a carburetor; and the yamaha has a rear disc brake and digital dashboard, while the honda has a caliper brake on the rear wheel and an analog dashboard. Also IMHO the Yamaha is much prettier, but that may be me.

I actually have a down payment on the Yamaha since early March, but they have no idea when they will be getting it (it was supposed to come in during April, now they're saying May at the earliest), nor at what price range. The last time they had on stock it cost 6000 USD (converting it from local currency), but I'm seriously considering it'll be around the 6500 price range once it comes in.

Meanwhile, the Honda is available right now for 5000 USD, with no wait time.

So my question would be: Are those 3 things (injection, rear disc brake, digital dash) enough to justify the ~1500 dollar difference? Should I just go for the Honda and stop faffing about, or does injection make THAT much of a difference?

You probably won't feel much difference in how they ride between the carbs and FI since they're 250s presumably tuned for normal riding, but the FI will make a bit more power and have a ~10mpg advantage over the carb'd Honda. Disc brakes are (in my opinion) less of a pain to work on, but don't actually perform any better than a similarly sized drum brake (as long as you aren't riding hard enough to cook the drum brake, which is their main disadvantage, the other being more unsprung weight on the wheel). The digital dash is all up to you.

As for all that being worth $1500 more? Not in my opinion, not even close.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 5, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ninjas used to be a possibility a few years ago (my masterplan was buying a 125 to see if I liked bikes, save money for a few years and get a Ninja), but since you can't get them anymore, the price for a used one has skyrocketed to ridiculous levels; a quick glance puts them in the ~8300 USD range. :(

I'm going for the Honda, the price difference is just too much to justify getting the Yamaha.

Thanks for the input, my mind was half made up already but it's always nice to have a second opinion.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
I found decent deal on an 04 Bandit 1200 for $3,200 (http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/3716464608) and will be going to look at it Saturday afternoon, assuming it's not sold before I get there again like the last one :suicide:
I'm also be going to look at an '06Sv650 for $3,900 (http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3722326611.html) if the Bandit doesn't work out. While it has been well maintained I think the price is a bit high for a pretty much stock bike. It's supposed to be in the 60's next week and being able to enjoy that on a bike again would be wonderful. I've got a follow up with my Dr tomorrow morning too, while he is a fantastic surgeon and doctor I really hope I don't have to seem him again.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ninjas used to be a possibility a few years ago (my masterplan was buying a 125 to see if I liked bikes, save money for a few years and get a Ninja), but since you can't get them anymore, the price for a used one has skyrocketed to ridiculous levels; a quick glance puts them in the ~8300 USD range. :(

I'm going for the Honda, the price difference is just too much to justify getting the Yamaha.

Thanks for the input, my mind was half made up already but it's always nice to have a second opinion.

That's such a bummer :smith: where do you live?

edit: It'd probably be cheaper to ship you the 250 I'm selling :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

AncientTV posted:

That's such a bummer :smith: where do you live?

edit: It'd probably be cheaper to ship you the 250 I'm selling :v:

Hah, you can try, but they won't let it into the country :v:

I live in Argentina. They went stupid and instituted a bunch of laws to "protect the local industry", which basically means you just can't get anything from abroad. Which wouldn't be so bad if we actually had any kind of local industry that didn't blow rear end; instead of just cranking up the taxes in items that ARE produced here, they banned imports altogether, even on things that you can't get a local version of. Hell, they tried to ban book imports at some point, but realized banning books is a really loving bad idea and went back on it.

The prices aren't really the bad part, what really blows is that you don't have options. Want to get a 250? Well, you have those two I was trying to decide between, and then you have like 4 Motocross models between the 3 Japanese brands (Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, forget about Kawasaki), and that's it. Suzuki doesn't even have a "street" 250, just the cross one. Every other 250 is some unknown/budget (or Indian) brand, and are reputed to be unreliable by every rider/mechanic I know. Anything above 250 is considered "Luxury goods" and gets even more taxes, so they end up being more expensive than cars.

Sorry about the rant, I'm kinda bummed about this. :(

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Safety Dance posted:

That's a touch high, maybe $2,500, $2,250?

If you're in Charleston, I'm looking to sell my KLR650 soon (in Atlanta)(the one from the pictures). It's a 2001, and it'll be much closer to the $2,000 mark. PM me if you're interested, I'd rather deal with a goon than a Craigslist random.

Haggins posted:

Sounds good to me. What should I be looking to spend on it?

Is this a good deal? http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/3663299757.html

I just picked up an '01 in Chicago proper for $2k. Needs a chain cleaning/servicing, some oil, and a new battery (maybe tires as well, been grossly underinflated for a long while) and has just sat in a garage for ~2 years, but yeah, $2k in a major city. Seems like the going rate for '01 KLR650s!

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Pham Nuwen posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3717783413.html

Thoughts? $2500 for a '75 Triumph, some idiot put stupid bars on and loving flames on the tank, "top end is stuck". I love Triumphs, but I've also heard that the 70s were not a great time for the brand.

Edit: Shitsnacks, it's got the shifter on the wrong side. I just know I'd be riding along, go to downshift and stomp on the rear brake instead, have to LAYER DAN

2500 is way too high for a '70s oif triumph especially if its got a seized top end. If the topend seized from a clogged sludge trap it would need a full rebuild from the crank up which could be 1200 to 2500 depending on who does the work. Its worth going to look and make an offer, I got my '67 trophy for half what the list price was.

Edit: Didn't see it was a trident, not as common as the twins but the parts can be a little harder to find. If you can pick it up cheap it would be a fun project.

TheCoconutman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 6, 2013

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

Anarchist posted:

I found decent deal on an 04 Bandit 1200 for $3,200 (http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/3716464608) and will be going to look at it Saturday afternoon, assuming it's not sold before I get there again like the last one :suicide:
Was in the process of selling the bike as my friend and I pulled up, offered me an R1 instead :stare:

SniperX
Feb 10, 2011
Hey goons. So I finally have a grownup job and am looking to get back into motorcycles. I rode daily for 4 years, but its been about 2 years since I've been on a bike.

Any how I was looking at the Triumph Bonneville. What's the general opinion on those? Anything I should be concerned about or aware of with that particular model/ manufacturer?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Does anybody have experience with the Honda 919? I just found out about it and I want one. Boss's son has one and he loves it. Somebody talk me out of this. Unf.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're a boring person who likes boring person bikes, go for it!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Well that was more effective than an actual reason. :( What is boring about it? I think it's a very nice looking bike and the idea of 110hp at 9k with a relatively even power curve is attractive to me, moving up from a Ninjette.

Editing because puck fone phosting.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 12, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fifty Three posted:

Well that wasore effective than an actual reason. :( What is boring about it? I think it's a very nice looking bike and the idea of 110hp at 9k with a relatively even power curve is attractive to me, moving up from a Ninjette.

It's just really dull. I mean, it's a good bike, they're reliable, the engine will go the distance, it's reasonably quick, it's a stable and nice chassis, but it doesn't have that weird soul bullshit that people talk about. Functional bike, but not one that I'd ever bother to buy because while it's reasonably nice looking, I didn't get anything special out of riding it. If you ride a motorcycle for purely practical reasons, it'd tick a lot of boxes.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
They're good bikes with solid engines but pretty weak non-adjustable suspension as well.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Honda 919 came out in the neo-standard / streetfighter craze with the FZ1, Z1000, SV1000 etc. It's a decent modern interpretation of a UJM, which means it's practical but not necessarily exciting. It has plenty of performance if you're coming from a 250 Ninja, SV650 etc. and is supposed to be bulletproof reliable. Guys who have 919s these days don't easily give them up.

As a more concrete explanation, the FZ1 and Z1000 both have more of a top-end surge, and the Z makes much more interesting intake and exhaust noises. The SV is obv a Suzuki V-twin which is going to feel very different from a cookie-cutter I-4.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks for the explanation. It's nice to not have the money right now, in a way. Gives me extra time to sort all this crap out.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Get an Aprilia Tuono instead.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I would if the styling did anything for me at all.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
One does not buy a Tuono because they like the styling.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I totally would

Mmm... gold, blue, black & red, all together, on an alien bug.

Its sick that I like it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Tuonos are goddamned sexy and y'all got shameful style. :colbert:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Fifty Three posted:

I would if the styling did anything for me at all.

Tuono is probably the best Naked/standard bike there is, no stupid desmodromic valve system to deal with and more powerful than any monster unless you have an S4R. I love my factory model.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

Tuonos are goddamned sexy and y'all got shameful style. :colbert:

I'd ride one; if I wrecked the Ulysses tomorrow, it would be on my short list.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think the gen1 Tuono is a bit better looking.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

n8r posted:

I think the gen1 Tuono is a bit better looking.

To me Aprilia front ends have gotten less appealing with every generation. The rest of the bike's looks/graphics work fine but Aprilia's desire to ape a screaming chicken looks too contrived. Then again pretty much all bike companies seem to be struggling to make non-goofy front ends these days.

If looking fabulous is wrong I don't want to be right

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

n8r posted:

Get an Aprilia Tuono instead.

Three words:

Italian. Bike. Reliability.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
So I'm kind of doing a thing... My grandpa is this badass ex-navy ships captain and had an unlimited license in the merchant marines. He's been riding motorcycles since the 50's and right now he has 2 bikes. He's got a zx 14 or zzr1400 (the one with the slight engine de-tune) in concours trim with hardbags etc. He bought it new in '09 and it's got every option you could get and it's sitting at around 12k on the clock. His other bike is a Harley soft tail that he bought used last year. The 1400 didn't suit his riding style and he's been trying to sell it for about 7 months with no luck. We've had a trip planned to tour northern Arizona, southern Utah and southwest Colorado this June. I've got 10 days off work scheduled and it's the only off time I'll be able to get for the next year probably (Big project at work coming up).

Yesterday he offered me the bike for $7500. He's still making payments on it and I'm super tight on money due to the death of a pet. With the VFR out of commission my trip has been looking like it's off. My grandpa has offered to pay the bike down from what he currently owes (around $9-10k) over the next several months and basically let me take over making payments when it hits $7500. This would give me 5-6 months to get my finances straight and put some cash in the bank. I'm going to go see my mechanic that has the VFR tomorrow and tell him not to work on it. I'll take it home and do the work myself to save some cash. Once I get it running again I'll sell it to help pay off the Kawi.

We'll be changing the trip into a ride-n-fly. I'll fly to Georgia and meet him, from there we'll ride back out to California over about 9 days. That should give us time to enjoy the trip. I haven't ridden a bike with this much power since I was 18, I dragged my uncle's turbo'd Busa for a few months. That was track only though

Does this seem like a horribly bad idea? I think price-wise it's a good deal, I haven't been having much luck lately and I feel like this could really turn some thing around. I've said before that I commute daily on my bike and I'd be using the 1400 as a commuter. The MPG figures I've seen say it gets around 33-40 mpg in the real world, that's about what I get on the VFR.

The options are:
Go for it and take the trip, do a ride-n-fly pick up a new bike. Sell the VFR and pay off the ZZR.

Keep the VFR pay for the mechanic to fix it and skip the trip entirely.

So, should I go for it CA?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you have to type 'I'm super tight on money due to the death of a pet' you should probably not be financing motorcycles.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Do it and have the CCT checked by a good mechanic or maybe a priest given your track record.
At least with a supertanker like the ZZR you'll have a good excuse for blowing u-turns

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

n8r posted:

If you have to type 'I'm super tight on money due to the death of a pet' you should probably not be financing motorcycles.
If I was going to pick payments up right away I'd agree. I still have savings set aside, I'm just trying not to break into them. My Grandpa would continue to make his payments until November or December which gives me plenty of time to get my poo poo together before I take over the payments. Once I sell the VFR I could actually pay the bike off in a lump sum without dipping into savings.

Super tight may be the wrong wording, I just can't pay the bike off outright without touching my savings currently. I don't typically buy toys if I can't fully pay for them in cash.

echomadman posted:

Do it and have the CCT checked by a good mechanic or maybe a priest given your track record.
At least with a supertanker like the ZZR you'll have a good excuse for blowing u-turns

No poo poo right? One of the benefits of buying the bike from my Grandpa is him and my uncle are both mechanics. The bike is extremely well maintained. Pop is retired, but still runs a small business fixing ATV's and bikes. A preventative exorcism might still be needed though.

I'll have you know I took the MSF and passed without losing a single point. I'm now a fully licensed rider! (for the second time...)

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I'd pay 7500$ just to be able to do such a thing with my grandpa. Definitely would do it if I liked the bike.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

kenny powerzzz posted:

I'd pay 7500$ just to be able to do such a thing with my grandpa. Definitely would do it if I liked the bike.

That's actually a good point and it's something that's been in the back of my mind. He's recently had some heart troubles and he's almost 70. I live close to 3k miles away and I don't know how much longer he'll be around. That was the reason for the trip in the first place. It would also be really cool to have something of his in my garage. I'd intended to keep the VFR for a long time, but I'd rather have his bike.

My grandpa is from a completely different time. He's got a lot of faults and flaws, but he's definitely one of my biggest heroes.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

That's actually a good point and it's something that's been in the back of my mind. He's recently had some heart troubles and he's almost 70. I live close to 3k miles away and I don't know how much longer he'll be around. That was the reason for the trip in the first place. It would also be really cool to have something of his in my garage. I'd intended to keep the VFR for a long time, but I'd rather have his bike.

My grandpa is from a completely different time. He's got a lot of faults and flaws, but he's definitely one of my biggest heroes.

Do it. Grandpas are awesome and I miss mine on a daily basis. (my great-grandpa, that is - I spent roughly half of my childhood and teen years with my great-grandparents, growing up around a WWII vet was awesome on many levels).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ya, do it for the trip, the bike is whatever.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

HotCanadianChick posted:

Do it. Grandpas are awesome and I miss mine on a daily basis. (my great-grandpa, that is - I spent roughly half of my childhood and teen years with my great-grandparents, growing up around a WWII vet was awesome on many levels).

My Great Grandpa passed away when I was 17. He was so awesome and also a WW2 vet. I actually got to meet all of my great grandparents. One of the benefits of going on this trip is I'll be able to see my great grandmother and it will probably be the last time. She's almost 90 and has started falling and having small strokes.

Anyone know how insurance would work with the bike in his name? He seems to think as long as he keeps it fully insured it would be fine. It will keep a GA tag etc. until I pay it off. I don't want to risk getting cut off totaling the bike or something and not being fully covered.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

n8r posted:

I'm imagining it was the primary breadwinner of the household.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I'm imagining it was the primary breadwinner of the household.

Seriously? That's kind of crappy dude, I had to put a family pet down. After trying to save her it was a really large bill. That's not cool man.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
SomethingSensitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I had to put a pet down a few years back and it was pretty cheap. With the cost of ammo these days though I can see how it would be so expensive.