Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Looks like we're going to hit the two year mark before we get the Asterian vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Something terrible must have happened in that Chinese factory for Mantic to have gone through all these factory change delays

In other news, cross posting

NTRabbit posted:

:smaug: OATH COMPLETE! :smaug:

Worth noting that the base was painted in the previous oath season as part of the Dragon's Don't Share tower set.

The white spots on the wings are polymer varnish that hasn't dried, the white spots on the base are clumsy fingers!

Claiming a flying start and double monster may-hem with my pair of dragons because There's more than one!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I much prefer the first dragon - very awesome. :)

So does anyone have a prospective timeline of Mantic releases as they pertain to KoW and WP/FF? I couldn't give two shits about Walking Dead, etc. since you NTRarebit pointed out there were both ZZor and Nameless releases in some tenuous pipeline.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
If anyone knows more about Dreadball 2 that'd be cool. I think the last I heard was delayed until March due to mould issues.

I have dear Nephew and Niece coming over Saturday to paint the Dreadball teams I got them for Christmas. Their mother is ignoring the point of me also buying them paint so they could have been doing this in their own home already. Oh well, we shall see how this goes!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Southern Heel posted:

I much prefer the first dragon - very awesome. :)

So does anyone have a prospective timeline of Mantic releases as they pertain to KoW and WP/FF? I couldn't give two shits about Walking Dead, etc. since you NTRarebit pointed out there were both ZZor and Nameless releases in some tenuous pipeline.

Thanks!

I don't think anyone outside of Mantic has a proper timeline for the scifi stuff, maybe even inside Mantic too, I mean we're still waiting on some Warpath vehicles to release.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that ages ago Z'Zor was going to be the first big 'bad alien' release after Plague, but then we got Veer'myn with Deadzone 2, and next we're getting some Nameless with Star Saga; an alpha Deadzone list for that selection of Nameless units is coming within a few months, which will tide everyone over until they've decided how to complete the list basic troops and "vehicle" wise for a full Warpath/FF army. Also expected at some point is a Rebs Warpath/FF army, but they haven't promised anything because they're not sure they can make one work.

After that, it's only my assumption that Z'Zor is an army they still have plans for, they have a fair selection of Dreadball teams they could also turn into combat armies like Mechanites, Korris, Tsudochan.

They probably have some campaign content lined up as well, what they're doing for Kings of War is likely a decent guide.

As well as those, these are a couple renders of a couple new things from Star Saga they showed off at open day

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 2, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I'm guessing the Nameless are going to be the proxy of choice for Tyranid players who want to get into Warpath.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Could well be, yes

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm honestly really impressed at the way Mantic are handling the various races and subfactions in their games - almost nothing is completively derivative of GW, which would be easy to do (excepting of course the Uncharted Empires book but I think they get a pass for that). I wonder if the Nameless will perform double-duty in KoW since they look relatively analogous to some out-of-time, cthulhu-like horror which would fit into both systems - maybe as an extension of Night Stalkers?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Night-stakes are supposed to be getting miniatures later this year actually. They're in the next expansion.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That's what I mean - I wonder if they're going to end up converging somehow? It would probably make sense since they seem to be treading quite similar territory?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The new FF weapons platform trio I linked a few pages ack is up for preorder direct from Mantic, ship date of June 26 so Wayland should have whatever stock they're getting around then.

They've also just put up a starter, reserve, and mega force each for Enforcers and Forge Fathers, and starter forces for Asterians Veer'myn, so it's nearly at all systems go, just the remaining Asterians and plucky space rats, plague, and humanities averagest left to go of the current stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

NTRabbit posted:

The new FF weapons platform trio I linked a few pages ack is up for preorder direct from Mantic, ship date of June 26 so Wayland should have whatever stock they're getting around then.

They've also just put up a starter, reserve, and mega force each for Enforcers and Forge Fathers, and starter forces for Asterians Veer'myn, so it's nearly at all systems go, just the remaining Asterians and plucky space rats, plague, and humanities averagest left to go of the current stuff.

Well, GCPS starter forces already exist (hell, I already bought one). That's coming out later this year (I think October?).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Like the rats and asterians, I expect they're waiting on the new factory to finish making the vehicle for them before going live with a mega force

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, GCPS starter forces already exist (hell, I already bought one). That's coming out later this year (I think October?).

I guess they were from the Kickstarter, and are coming to us non-KS plebes later, right? Or can you get them if you raid Mantic HQ? :v:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The Asterians seem to be really really interesting - mostly automata with crazy objectives like 'get VP for units NOT destroyed' - it's a shame their models look like absolute pants :(

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
As someone who is attempting to paint some Asterians, their models are indeed rear end. Oh, for the simple slopes and armour plates of Space Marines.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xarlaxas posted:

I guess they were from the Kickstarter, and are coming to us non-KS plebes later, right? Or can you get them if you raid Mantic HQ? :v:

Well, I bought mine at the Open Day and the box said it was '5 months early'. So they're coming to the masses.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

The Deleter posted:

As someone who is attempting to paint some Asterians, their models are indeed rear end. Oh, for the simple slopes and armour plates of Space Marines.

What are your thoughts on Marionette's?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The Deleter posted:

Well, the Eldar do spindly quite well too. I think I'd be inclined to use Necrons with alternate heads of some kind..

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ugleb posted:

What are your thoughts on Marionette's?

I bought a Deadzone starter to double as a way to get into Firefight, so no Marionettes. I'll give my thoughts on Cyphers instead. The Cyphers are rear end and poo. The plastic sucks and they've been moulded in a terrible mould. Their body shape means it's really hard to identity good areas for the color scheme to be applied, so I've gone a clumsy silver and black on stuff. I hate them a lot.

Bizzarely, the Black Talon is a league above them and the weapons drones look fine. I saw the official scheme for Marionettes and I bet a good drybrush -> wash -> drybrush would do acceptable tabletop standard for them any day of the week.

Southern Heel posted:

Well, the Eldar do spindly quite well too. I think I'd be inclined to use Necrons with alternate heads of some kind..

I've been teetering on the edge of giving GW money, but 8th Edition doesn't do what I want and I don't want to spend megabucks on something I have faint teen nostalgia for.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The Deleter posted:

I've been teetering on the edge of giving GW money, but 8th Edition doesn't do what I want and I don't want to spend megabucks on something I have faint teen nostalgia for.

In the interest of healthy enquiry I decided to see what AoS was all about (going into it knowing all the issues that have come up over time) and holy poo poo any kind of organisation around it is ridicolous. I counted FOUR books with stats, unit points, various rules and groupings for my at-randomly picked faction: Dark Elves. Which seems a bit much for a game of rock-em' sock-em' robots.

In retrospect I think if I were going to do Asterians, and knowing how few miniatures I'd require: I'd probably look into second hand Eldar models: Guardians vs Dire Avengers for Marionette vs Cyphers, Swooping Hawks for Black Talons, Jetbikes for Sky Razors, etc.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
Oh. My. God: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/army-deals/product/enforcer-mega-force.html :monocle:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've posted these before, but since it's come up again I'll go ahead and throw up some pictures. Asterians aren't great, but they could be worse. That's not exactly an endorsement, but they're not the worst models I've ever worked with. The Marionettes are fine. In fact, I genuinely liked those. The weapon/shield platforms are really great as well; they're just as easy to clean, build, and paint as the Strider or Iron Ancestor. I don't like that there's only one Black Talon sculpt and that it has debris on the base. It's silly to have a bunch of identical models flying around. The Cyphers are OK I guess. The material is fairly rough which makes painting them unpleasant and they're a bit too spindly, but the final result isn't bad. I want to like the Kalyshi, but there's only 5 sculpts and only 2 of them are actually good. 1 is serviceable (uni-ab) and 2 are junk (loving pumpkin face). The Sky Razors are OK, worse than the Forge Father Valkyr bikes but not by much. Ten'ur Go has a great sculpt with a stupid design. I ranted quite a bit about getting his leg to keep from folding over.

The whole force:

Weapon platforms:

Cyphers:

Marionettes:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's an insane deal as far as army bundles go in miniatures games. That's a little over 2 dollars per figure, including 3 Striders, 8 jetbikes and an aircraft. That's a helluva deal if someone's looking to pick up an army on the cheap.

edit: ahahaha, I haven't paid attention to games workshop crap in years. loogiddis poo poo.

$128 USD:

$85 USD:

$411 USD:

boggles the god damned mind how GW is still around.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 3, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Wrong thread! Apologies!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

2250pts. poo poo I might even have to get them at this rate - paint them up like T100 Terminators or something.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Those army deals really do look like good value. I really don't need a 28mm mass battle game in my life and yet.... Shiny.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ugleb posted:

Those army deals really do look like good value. I really don't need a 28mm mass battle game in my life and yet.... Shiny.

Browsing the Mantic store for option that are better value than that $85 Space Marine set:

A pair of Warpath/Deadzone Faction Starter & Boosters - fun fact: I have seen boxes of 5 Sternguard Veterans going for the price of one of those packs. 5 models. As opposed to like 23 for the Enforcers starter.
Either the Deadzone or the smaller Warpath starter set - while the Deadzone one has less miniatures (10 per side - so still only slightly behind that 'getting started with Space Marines' set if you were to take each as their own thing), it comes with a full playmat, all the necessary dice & counters, the rules, and a bunch of terrain. Whereas the Warpath one has the necessary rules & counters plus more miniatures on each side than the Space Marine set.

Dammit, now I want to start Enforcers! I've not even finished my GCPS forces and I'm already looking at Puppetswar for potential headswap options...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Check http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/Infantry-Heads-Helmets too.

Honestly I am finding it very hard to sit on my hands with this - but I still do have around a thousand points of Forge Fathers to paint up. Exciting times, I've not really felt this pumped about a game in a long while.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Southern Heel posted:

Check http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/Infantry-Heads-Helmets too.

Honestly I am finding it very hard to sit on my hands with this - but I still do have around a thousand points of Forge Fathers to paint up. Exciting times, I've not really felt this pumped about a game in a long while.
I must admit that most of the Anvil heads don't really grab me. I do like some of the Afterlife Republic heads, though.

Sadly I think a lot of my LGS folks have got a bad case of GW Stockholm Syndrome/Learned Helplessness, they all seem almost resigned to 8th ed.

That being said, I do quite like the Bigmarines, and I think you could rebase some of them (depending on leg pose) on 28mm for counts-as Enforcers. But honestly, actual enforcers seem like much better value. Maybe I'll acquire some leftovers some time in future.

But there are one or two people who are interested in KoW or Deadzone but don't have any opponents. Guess I should finish my GCPS and start asking for games!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Firefight rules question: P38 section 5 "pushing back". It seems to imply that the winner can move the loser any direction yo too their movement stat. If this move can't be completed without ending at least 1" away from any enemy unit then it is destroyed. Doesn't that make jet bikes, etc. Very vulnerable? I can just "bowl" them at any other unit and automatically destroy them??

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm on vacation until July and don't have my books with me or my pdfs on this netbook to check.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

In the meantime I decided that it was definitely not in the spirit of the rules. I just played two small Gabe's weird a friend of mine, the first against a live opponent, and it was really fun. He got all the rules within a few turns other than the various command rules which really need to be on the back of a card or something.

We didn't play with objectives but he thoroughly trounced me twice, tabling me both times! I took three squads of five rifle cyphers with force rifles and a few drones, he took two enforcer squads, an assault enforcer squad and a strider.

Once he was able to close the distance or was a massacre.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

That seems really tempting, since the wayland reserve forces are approx. $20 less in beaver dollars than the mantic store.

I am so close to spending even more money on minis. I am only halfway through building and painting my deadzone dudes (who are awesome). What the hell is wrong with me?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nothing, friend :yayclod:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I received my forge father "tank" today out of the blue. I switched 1 interceptor to 1 tank after a couple emails with mantic.

Except when I opened the box, more tanks kept coming out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Half your luck!

A couple of new Star Saga Nameless renders

"Nameless Gunslinger"

"Nameless Rifleman"

Names are placeholders. They've got prototype printed materials in hand, but with no minis yet it's still quite a ways off shipping

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I don't know why but I assumed they would be demon-like, rather than bipeds with guns...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They're cephalopods in borrowed bipedal armour, same as the Deadzone mercenary Codename: Oberon, the more "accessible" member species of the Nameless Confederation

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Southern Heel posted:

I don't know why but I assumed they would be demon-like, rather than bipeds with guns...

They're the Cthulhu faction. Squids and crabs and octopodes.

Nightmares will probably be more demon like, but even then that's really what the Abyss is.