Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

cargo cult posted:

lol i somehow never realized that its a sweaty personality cult

a sweaty personality cult that is following a figment of a white collar loser’s imagination. They’re following a leader that doesn’t exist, and once they get out of his eyeline, they turn into what they are: gigantic fuckups who are susceptible to being influenced by a guy who constantly is veering between terrorist genius and WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING normal person, leading to the death of Bob, and Jack deciding this has gone way too far.

Maybe ten minutes later it’s revealed Tyler has been operating when Jack goes to sleep once Jack has “cut ties” with his alter-ego so in fact these idiots are now following a sleepwalking dude, they are pushovers personality-wise because not a one of them either notices or says anything about it.

Fight Club the movie is doing that tightrope act where in a vacuum there are scenes where people go “so badass!” and then it takes a step back and goes “lol, no, it’s pretty dumb actually” once it starts presenting the audience with the real context of what’s going on.

But of course, we go back to the “some people just don’t grasp subtext and dramatic irony and whatnot, sometimes only in filmed media, even if they’re smart in every other aspect of their life”. Which is probably more a fault of Hollywood working very hard to define a difference between more populist stuff like blockbusters and “prestige” pictures so people assume whatever is on screen on something that isn’t presented as Oscarbait is just telling a story with no deeper meaning or underlying theme. Fight Club was sold as the former even though the previous time the director and star they were selling the movie on was a famously dour, dark movie in which the bad guy wins and quite literally ends with Esteemed Wise Black Man Morgan Freeman saying “Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.”

It also wouldn’t surprise me if Palahnuik is just grifting because no other book he has written since has gotten anywhere near the same attention and the closest is literally something he wrote specifically and only to shock and gross people out (and then it turned out if you’d ever read, like, one Stephen King book he looked like a rank amateur at it), and much like the space monkeys of Project Mayhem, aggrieved white boys are easy marks to metaphysically pickpocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

:stonk:

I thought it was a reference to a different San Diego serial killer/cop from that same era.

San Diego cops are something else, I tell ya.

when I was a kid we had a pool built in the backyard, and the contractor told my dad he knew a guy awaiting trial who was a good electrician and needed money, who would do the electrical work for a very cheap.

turns out it was that cop, who was still very much in the news. my mom never forgave my dad for that one I think

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does this recent spate of arrests of white kids with guns mean that the feds are acting on the huge pile of information they’ve assembled re: radicalized nazis?

Is this just throwing us a bone so that next month they can go right back to ignoring the nazis?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Does this recent spate of arrests of white kids with guns mean that the feds are acting on the huge pile of information they’ve assembled re: radicalized nazis?

Is this just throwing us a bone so that next month they can go right back to ignoring the nazis?

every once in a while society demands a Martin Shkreli type be thrown into the capitalism sinkhole and everybody can see the tiny little speck fall into the gaping maw and we declare "that'll plug it up."

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

This would be a fantastic way to harass people now.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The world desperately needed a platform for TERFs so bad they got banned from mumschan.

There's something extra gross about how shamelessly TERFs settle into the lowest ends of conservatism. Its like a test of whether TE or RF is their primary mental motivation. That's not a "if you lived their life you'd do the same" thing. Most people would just grit their teeth and be kind of an rear end in a top hat to some people but still have many, many higher priorities. You have to be completely committed to your hate to stand shoulder with Proud Boys and Atomwaffen and say you'll fight in the war against you because you just really hate midgets or blacks or gays and want to hurt and eliminate them soooo much that you'll agree to self-extermination if it means taking them with you.

Maybe being a 2nd wave feminist was just their way of compensating for having been assigned leftist, and this is one step closer to living as who they really mentally are.

Syd Midnight has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Aug 14, 2019

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
A ssigned
C unt
A t
B irth

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

It is good that they identified him as "former San Diego police officer" before "serial rapist" to show that the primary threat is that he's a cop, that's the noun, you have to get that out there first because whatever rapes or crimes he did will be handled differently than other violent crimes.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i haven't read a palahniuk book in ages but i bought a paperback of his this summer to take on a flight as light reading in case i got bored of Ryan Grimm's book (I didnt) but now I'm planning on reading the palahniuk book (adjustment day) over the weekend and see how fashy he/it is.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

they don't want to ignore the nazis, they got told to
the feds don't want any armed insurrection groups because regardless of creed all they do is make the feds look weak and encourage other armed insurrection groups to form as a response
if the nazis work for them it's different, but most of the militias, altright terror groups, armed theocratic groups etc. don't

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

This is a really good post about why nazis love paintings like this. The adjective "degenerate" is my new favorite dogwhistle. I have never seen the word used in a non-nazi context outside of condensed-matter physics.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqd4yNFuSw

this movie looks amazing, gently caress these cowards

im beginning to think that three massive conglomerates have control of almost all media is a bad idea

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqd4yNFuSw

this movie looks amazing, gently caress these cowards

this owns

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

:getin:
Someone got smart and started putting flyers in the city's bikeshare system.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Siljmonster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyC75Wb9uXg

Auburn, CA has had a serial killer cop for awhile. Can't wait to see this whole thing.

also

I've seen talk that this was an ex's way of harassing her

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Bullfrog posted:

I've seen talk that this was an ex's way of harassing her

That was my first thought. It's too blatant.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Usually you'd have an age range, prices, maybe some testimonials. White kids only feels pretty Poe's Law.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Syd Midnight posted:

This is a really good post about why nazis love paintings like this. The adjective "degenerate" is my new favorite dogwhistle. I have never seen the word used in a non-nazi context outside of condensed-matter physics.

If anyone wants a fascinating read on the interplay of fascism and art, I cannot recommend highly enough Frederic Spotts Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Always figured right wing people hate surrealism because it relies so heavily on interpretation and subjectivity.

Additionally those people worship money and the idea that something that was not difficult to make can be worth a lot of money literally fries their brain and defies their entire worldview

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/08/14/san-antonio-ice-office-shots-fired-ero-field-office-texas/2005896001/

lol people are starting to fight a guerrilla war against ICE

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

No people or officers were injured

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

No people or officers were injured

ok

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Thanks for your response

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

Besides Fight Club, The Matrix is another popular movie that has gained cult status with the fash who are too obtuse to understand that it is very anti-the-thing-the-movie-is-on-the-surface.

Its a cursed topic but you can dig up old logs and wikis of Matrix Online plotlines. Matrix was supposed to become a big multimedia franchise but collapsed with only Animatrix and a few video games making it out. M:O clung grimly to life for years due to a dedicated fanbase and had to follow the planned continuity of all those dvds, books, mangas, clothing lines etc. that never got made, so you can read about the entire Matrix storyline that way.

The machines made the Red Pill. Its how humanity vents off it's dangerous top .1% gently caress YOU MOM AND DAD that would otherwise gently caress up the Matrix. They find each other and are literally flushed down the toilet to go live in sewer caves and fight a foreverwar mass exterminated every century or so, eat dirt and planning attacks and thinking about how much smarter and freer they are than the sheeple in phony "society" who only think their lives are good. So the right is using it correctly, they don't realize just how correctly.

Also Trinity and Neo were twins, cloned by machines to be a messiah figure and lead the humans to peace with machines. Trinity was the backup One in case Neo screwed up. I'm sure there's some significance there. Of course the whole plan backfired spectacularly and the forever war became a forever holy war.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Calico Heart posted:

Always figured right wing people hate surrealism because it relies so heavily on interpretation and subjectivity.
Dali was fash

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

more windows brutally murdered by the loony left

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Daniel Bible

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Syd Midnight posted:

Its a cursed topic but you can dig up old logs and wikis of Matrix Online plotlines. Matrix was supposed to become a big multimedia franchise but collapsed with only Animatrix and a few video games making it out. M:O clung grimly to life for years due to a dedicated fanbase and had to follow the planned continuity of all those dvds, books, mangas, clothing lines etc. that never got made, so you can read about the entire Matrix storyline that way.

The machines made the Red Pill. Its how humanity vents off it's dangerous top .1% gently caress YOU MOM AND DAD that would otherwise gently caress up the Matrix. They find each other and are literally flushed down the toilet to go live in sewer caves and fight a foreverwar mass exterminated every century or so, eat dirt and planning attacks and thinking about how much smarter and freer they are than the sheeple in phony "society" who only think their lives are good. So the right is using it correctly, they don't realize just how correctly.

Also Trinity and Neo were twins, cloned by machines to be a messiah figure and lead the humans to peace with machines. Trinity was the backup One in case Neo screwed up. I'm sure there's some significance there. Of course the whole plan backfired spectacularly and the forever war became a forever holy war.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the sequels, but wasn’t most of this minus the Trinity twin clone thing revealed in the last movie?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Syd Midnight posted:

Post doesnt load for me. Do I need archives? Do I...not have archives? When was I last banned? Where am I?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

quote:

Make way for a BIG POST toot toot :toot:

Art Renewal Center (ARC) is a non-profit organization founded/run by a billionaire guy named Fred Ross. They are an advocacy organization for a particular type of extremely conservative, realistic painting (known as "academic" art). They also offer "certification" for art schools that teach artists how to paint in their approved style. They also have annual awards for works created in their approved style, and certify certain artists as ARC Living Masters™. :rolleyes:

Fred Ross, being a Very Wealthy Man, wanted to collect some fine art. He was unhappy with the state of modern art ca. 2000 (spoiler alert, most contemporary art is poo poo), and discovered the work of a mid-tier French painter named William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825-1905).

Le Printemps by Bouguereau

Bouguerau was moderately popular in his day, but doesn't really figure into anyone's concept of "art history" because his work was kitschy and without any serious point of view or original development. He was, without a doubt, a technical master. The guy could paint the human figure! Nobody disputes that. But in the general outline of art history, Bouguereau is just not that "important," considering the giants of art who were his contemporaries (i.e., the motherfucking Impressionists :black101:).

The ARC really, REALLY wants people to know that Bouguereau was like the greatest painter ever to live. To ARC, the fact that Bouguerau was forgotten in favor of FRAUDS like PICASSO is a shameful conspiracy by people who want to destroy art itself.

Now, if you browse the ARC web site, there are some great artists among their heroes! John Singer Sargent! Anders Zorn! Michelangelo! Alphonse Mucha! Goya! It's not that they have no taste at all. The problems are a little more subtle. For one thing, they're obsessed with academic technique (which they call, "realism") to the exclusion of emotional or intellectual expression.

The art schools they bless (called "ARC-Approved™ Ateliers") teach a particular curriculum based on what's known as "sight-size." This is a system where you set up a canvas at a particular distance from your subject so that the picture you're making and the subject are the same size at the distance you're drawing. You train yourself to copy EXACTLY, from a master drawing (usually from a 19th century series by a guy named Charles Bargue), from plaster casts, and eventually from the live model. One of the ARC-Approved Ateliers was at a place called Founders College (since closed), which was a private college for Objectivists, where men were men, women were women, and you're gonna paint that apple CORRECTLY.

This system produces people who are often able to achieve very accurate representations of what they see. The only problems with it are:

- it doesn't teach you anything about how to compose a good picture, create stuff out of your own head, or exaggerate the aesthetic designs you see
- there's no evidence that the artists of the 19th century learned this way or ever used these techniques. The great artists of history learned in a much more intuitive, humane way. They didn't train to be human cameras.

"OK OK, get to the :godwin: part."
:goonsay:

If you're following our story so far, you might be thinking, Neon Noodle, this obsession with romanticised European figurative art seems kind of… :godwin:? And you would be CORRECT. One of the most insidious things about ARC is that they have pretty much re-invented the aesthetic philosophy of the Third Reich! Hooray! They're also totally tone-deaf about it. They don't see the similarities, and they can't imagine why their conception of art might be…problematic?

When ARC was founded in 2000, this wasn't really on anyone's minds (except, you know, us :jewish: but we're always whining so who cares). But the anti-modernism philosophy has influenced a LOT of younger artists. And this has taken place alongside the other aspects of neo-reactionary ressentiment, like the hatred of postmodernism, "SJWs," the rise of white nationalism, etc.

The ironic thing is that, folks like ARC don't view their beliefs as political in any way. They don't like it when art is "political." They want art to be about pretty maidens and heroic poses. They don't see that this, in itself, is a political viewpoint about the role of art in society and the acceptable political/social content of art.

The modern artists who were included in the Entartete Kunst exhibition didn't just make "ugly" art for no reason, or because they didn't know how to paint "correctly." They had opinions. They were often satirists and commentators on WWI and the state of Weimar society. Artists like Otto Dix:

Trench Warfare by Otto Dix

Or Max Beckmann:

The Night by Max Beckmann

Here's what the Fuhrer thought was "good" art:

The Rewards of Work by Gisbert Palmie

(fun fact, Hitler drew Disney fan art and watched Snow White and Pinocchio in his own private screening room)

ARC hates Modern Art. Like, a lot:

Fred Ross posted:

The modern world is a boiling cauldron of all sorts of great and absurd ideas, feelings, pathos, pathologies, psycho pathologies, humiliation, and dehumanizing ideas … and yet … yet even beauty, too, is still here amongst us, here in this hall and throughout the world, and her manifestations in modern times have been insufficiently expressed. So, find her in your homes, find her in the streets, find her in your communities and in nature, and especially, find her in each other … and save her … save her … protect and cherish her … and exalt her back to her rightful place … a place of supreme prominence, and bring her back into these our greatest institutions and our highest citadels of society and culture.

The concept of beauty/art as a woman who must be saved from the ravages of degeneracy is a recurring trope in Reactionary thought. Aside from being paternalistic as h*ck to women, it fits right in with other metaphorical notions of purity and virginity in peril.

THIS poo poo IS NOT INCIDENTAL TO REACTIONARY PHILOSOPHY. IT IS NOT JUST A SIDE-DISH. IT IS THE MAIN COURSE.

Hitler was an artist. His vision was an aesthetic vision. Reaction (and neoreaction) IS AN AESTHETIC PHILOSOPHY. In my opinion, it's an aesthetic philosophy MORE than it is a political philosophy. I don't think Fred Ross is a Nazi, or even any sort of political reactionary. But I think he's painfully naive if he can't see the connection between his aesthetic philosophy and the other times this philosophy has reared its head.

Also, his taste in art sucks.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

That's all very plausible but there's also a 5 minute scene where they do nothing but ruthlessly kill a truckload of cops so I'm going to keep believing The Matrix (1999) is good and definitely my politics.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Syd Midnight posted:

quote:

Reaction (and neoreaction) IS AN AESTHETIC PHILOSOPHY. In my opinion, it's an aesthetic philosophy MORE than it is a political philosophy.

Yeah this just about sums it up. All forms of political reaction are motivated by a visceral aesthetic reaction to a world which doesn't suit their sensibilities. There isn't really any ideological core to it, because they already think of the world's arrangements being just and natural as-is. They're preoccupied with naturalism because they can't accept anything other than a literal interpretation that comports to their values. A still life of an apple is great because it looks delicious. You feel like you could eat it. An abstraction of an apple is awful, because it doesn't convey the true essence of an apple - which is its deliciousness.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

That's all very plausible but there's also a 5 minute scene where they do nothing but ruthlessly kill a truckload of cops so I'm going to keep believing The Matrix (1999) is good and definitely my politics.

In the original movie, the red pill is a rejection of the neoliberal hell world. The sequels gently caress it up by deciding the neoliberal hell world is actually good and the machine elites are right to consume our labor because they are so much smarter.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im going to laugh when the ice office being shot at turns out to be an actual irl false flag

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Syd Midnight posted:

Assigned Messiah At Birth

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bar Crow posted:

In the original movie, the red pill is a rejection of the neoliberal hell world. The sequels gently caress it up by deciding the neoliberal hell world is actually good and the machine elites are right to consume our labor because they are so much smarter.

Yeah well, it's hard to square rejecting Neoliberal Hellworld in favor of reality, when in reality Earth is completely lifeless and all you have to eat is protein paste.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the simulation is the imperial core

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/andrewyang/status/1161668764888371206?s=21

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheLaurenChen/status/1161638233186459649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The biggest problem with The Matrix's premise is that it's too cynical. Humanity rejected a simulated utopia provided for them by the machines, which means Neoliberal Hellworld is the workable solution arrived at to keep the system running.