Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes sorry, I meant demon-like in the sense they wouldn't be armoured/with guns - but on the other hand - I do see how it could be an interesting faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I was expecting something more like Antimatter Games' dark mariners

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I was expecting something more like Antimatter Games' dark mariners

Wow, the Cephalid looks amazing! I think that the Mantic painting style could really do with some John Blanche style paintjobs than the super-clean look they have:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah the Mantic paint jobs have been pretty bad to mediocre for awhile.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah the Mantic paint jobs have been pretty bad to mediocre for awhile.

The ones on the Star Saga minis at Mantic's Open Day were amazing, though. If that's the paint jobs they're using going forward, they ought to do well.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I like the Walking Dead look too, has s comic book feel and that's the source material so all good.

It's their mass battles stuff that isn't great I guess. KoW particularly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Worth reposting from the historicals thread:

Southern Heel posted:

Lots of sprues for sale from Warlord, around 50% off:

https://store.warlordgames.com/coll..._eid=07b0bdc004
Aside from the historicals for Kow Historical/KoW proper, there's also the opportunity to get some WGF Orcs (think LotR rather than Warhammer) for bargain prices. You could get a horde for cheaper than even Mantic's offerings. Plus, of course, they're also offering their project Z stuff without the cards, which for work great for Walking Dead players who want to build their own survivors.

I grabbed a sprue of Antares Concord troopers to use as Enforcer proxies so my Accuser will have passengers to drop off, to boot.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

After my attempts at getting my home opponent into Pike and Shotte failed, I've got lots of 40x40mm based dudes, which map perfectly to the KoWH Conquistadors army - using http://war-bases.co.uk trays I can actually chuck out something crazy:

Three regiments of conquistadors, two hordes of pikemen, four regiments of hand cannons and two troops of arquebusiers - the whole thing comes to about 1750pts, so really not bad for £80 or so from Warlord.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm having similar doubts to Southern Heel about my Forge Father colour choice; I painted these guys a while ago now

I was iffy on it at the time. I feel like it works well on the Iron Ancestor, but less well on the Forge Guard, and that it will in turn be even worse on the Steel Warriors. I'm looking at paints on my FIGS and wondering whether maybe a jet exhaust or gunmetal metallic will work better as a replacement for the Red... or maybe a replacement for the US sand? It'll be tie to start a big paint run on all of them soon.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Actually I think that's quite a nice scheme - I think you should work up brighter with the red and tan though - maybe a light drybrush or edge highlighting? One of the two colours at least needs to be brighter IMO. If you look at the thumbnail they almost look monochrome.

I think you've done it already, but army green on the weapons looks good, and again IMO just needs a little highlight.

Or maybe use what is now red as unit-type markers. For example, my Warriors are black helmeted and the huscarls have white helmets. The Veterans have red helmets, so the huscarls get a white stripe. For the Forge Guard (who would be even more senior) I'm thinking either gold or blue (which would translate to the Iron Ancestor too)

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

I played KoW this week for the first time in a couple weeks.

It was my dwarfs against a cavalry-heavy, elite unit Varangur list. We both made mistakes (me, more than him, though) and it was a loss for my dwarfs. The first two turns consisted of me inching forward and trying to coax him into charging with his cavalry, which he wasn't doing for some reason. When he finally did, well, even the hardy Ironguard can't stand up to two regiments of Mounted Sons of Korgaan. Kind of wish I'd had Bulwarkers or that my opponent had set up some difficult terrain I could use to my advantage instead of only blocking terrain.

His King on Chimera swept behind my lines and killed my war machines and proceeded to start flanking what was left of infantry support.

On one flank, around two objectives, my elementals and a steel behemoth faced off against two hordes of trolls, a troll king, and a magus with a bunch of spells. I only managed to kill one group of trolls (regen, ugh!) and some of the cavalry. I'm really learning the value of multi-charging and killing things in one turn. Too bad our dwarfs don't hit hard enough, generally.

The game itself was fine, but there were sportsmanship issues that made it miserable. My opponent regularly walked away from the table mid-turn to take phone calls (or for no obvious reason) making the game take ages. At one point, he inexplicably yelled at one of his units - yes, those inanimate objects on the table - loud enough to elicit staring from everyone in the shop... talk about awkward and uncomfortable. That makes two games in a row with similar experiences (this one was worse, though).

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Yvonmukluk posted:

Worth reposting from the historicals thread:

Aside from the historicals for Kow Historical/KoW proper, there's also the opportunity to get some WGF Orcs (think LotR rather than Warhammer) for bargain prices. You could get a horde for cheaper than even Mantic's offerings. Plus, of course, they're also offering their project Z stuff without the cards, which for work great for Walking Dead players who want to build their own survivors.

I grabbed a sprue of Antares Concord troopers to use as Enforcer proxies so my Accuser will have passengers to drop off, to boot.

Thanks for this, that Pike & Shotte infantry should fill out a couple under strength units

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I got my wave 2 stuff for Walking Dead and I love a lot of the new models, both sculpt wise and ingame. It seems like more people have guns in general but there are also a decent amount of unarmed medics/civilians. The neoprene mats are bright and nicely detailed so hopefully, I'll be playing more of this game.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm really pleased with how my Forge Fathers are coming together:

I had to use a little greenstuff on the Warrior bodies because there's a little void that makes gluing hard - but other than that it's been easy as pie. I also did some arm-swaps on a couple of the Brokkrs. Since it went so well with my usual opponent, I think I'm going to get that Wayland Games support detachment with the weapon platforms and/or tank.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Okay, I've finally managed to paint my Asterians to not look like garbage. Step 2 - figuring out how to eliminate mould lines on my next set of guys once and for all. I've never got the hang of it and would like to make sure the next set is an improvement, so I can replace guys eventually for cheap. Any advice?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The Deleter posted:

Okay, I've finally managed to paint my Asterians to not look like garbage. Step 2 - figuring out how to eliminate mould lines on my next set of guys once and for all. I've never got the hang of it and would like to make sure the next set is an improvement, so I can replace guys eventually for cheap. Any advice?

this post is worthless without pictures.

Mould lines are easy but tbh I never bother - scrape them off using the blade of scalpel or file them with a set of mini craft files (amazon, etc.).

Speaking of mould lines, this is what my prospective Forge Guard looks like, although more old-and-clanky than rugged-and-venerated:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

drat right it is. I don't have a good setup for images so apologies for phone pictures.

The crew. The color scheme is classic Cylon silver and black with some blue energy bits on. I need to go back around the bases with black, but the basic plan is Leadbelcher into a heavy Nuln Oil wash, follewed by highlighting with Army Painter silver, and Dark Reaper, then picking out energy bits and gemstones in Army Painter blue. The grey on the base is a mix of army painter black and white - I'm considering an extra drybrush on top.

The Bash Brothers. These guys have come out the nicest.

The Black Talon, not showing the terrible highlighting job, weirdly showing some gold for some reason? That's not there irl.

Was worried about the commander as I have a pretty limited color choice atm due to circumstances. I forwent doing the detail on his legs and his flesh bits because hahahaha gently caress no. Also I accidentally god some gold on his base, I'll clean that up later.

Not decided what to do with this dude's gun. Also I touched up too thick with the black on some parts of him. He looks fine on the tabletop which is all I care about.

Doing drones next - feel I might get a chance to do some cleaner work with them.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

You should use a coloured wash instead of just plain black, IMO.

For my Dwarf armoured dudes (who were also 99% metallic) I painted them black, then drybrushed progressively lighter metallic shades as usual, but then went back over with glazes - blue, green, red in splotches (albeit very transparent - just enough to very slightly tint the metallic), and where they converged you get a nice shade, then another quick drybrush of my lightest metallic colour.

If you want to stick with plain metallics then might I suggest you weather them with browns and rusts, consider putting them in boggy/muddy bases with splatter, or if noothing else go for the 90's GW goblin-green base? They desperately need something with colour.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah you're right, they need something. I'll think about what I can add. The bases might be where to look - I'll see if I can't change it up for them. Maybe a Mars brown/red would work.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

If you want to keep the armour relatively plain silver, why not paint the ribbing/joints/etc. in something more contrasting like terracotta, navy blue, etc. ?

I'm unsure where my Iron Ancestor will fit into things - on one hand he's going to be my commander (so, white?) but on the other hand he's clearly going to gently caress poo poo up with quad hailstorm autocannons (so, red?) Any advice greatly appreciated.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm working through cleaning and assembling my Forge Fathers now, in anticipation of having all the infantry and guntracks done by the time my tanks arrive, then I can prime and basecoat everything on one big day. Working through the restic Brokkrs is taking some time, and the guntracks will need hot water too, but getting there. Still can't find the jetpack character from the DZ1 KS, but he's here somewhere, because I definitely received him. Going to try dry brushing a very light brown over the sand parts on the ones already done, I don't think I can do good edge highlights that small and that many.

KoW news, renders of the upcoming Revenant King on Undead Wyrm, has to be resin at this size, though I guess the King himself could be metal confirmed resin

Not sure if this is a planned option or just a rendering thing, but there's pics without the wings as well

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 12, 2017

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Mould lines are easy but tbh I never bother - scrape them off using the blade of scalpel or file them with a set of mini craft files (amazon, etc.).

Speaking of mould lines, this is what my prospective Forge Guard looks like, although more old-and-clanky than rugged-and-venerated:

This looks great.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ they're a bit of a pain in the arse to paint, honestly - I've just got the bits for an airbrush so I'm hoping that'll speed things up. At least I've only got a couple :)

Just as I jump in with both feet into Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes, it seems that the skirmish KoW is announced on the FB page....

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Airbrushing speeds things up immensely when doing large minis, or large numbers of small minis with the same scheme

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes, I just don't know what I NEED to get started, I have a cheap single-action airbrush, compressor and a bunch of vallejo brush paints.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

KoW news, renders of the upcoming Revenant King on Undead Wyrm, has to be resin at this size, though I guess the King himself could be metal confirmed resin
Looks decent. I think Mantic is really starting to spin up their new in-house resin casting facility and some of these models show that (also thinking of the new KoW summer campaign character minis).

I picked up this classic on eBay for mine:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

DiceBagLady's new KS would make for most of a good Rebs team in Deadzone

Also, snap poll, which one of these metallics (the new Vallejo Metal Colors) would make the best base for Asterians, with the highlights to be done in metallic purple, and jade green? I was thinking maybe a dark one like 720, 723, or Magnesium, but 707/Chrome has some appeal as well. Was originally going to be metallic purple all over with green highlights, but that's just going to be too difficult for the wax based AK Interactive true metal purple paint I have, and I think it might end up being too colourful after seeing how good the more natural metal colour looks on The Deleter's Cyphers.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 13, 2017

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm getting the Deadzone starter set. How's the game's life going? I feel it may be on the out though, especially with 8th edition. Any thoughts?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think every game is going to suffer from Malibu Stacy getting a new hat, at least for a while, it's unavoidable

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Mantic is Lisa Lionheart

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

NTRabbit posted:

Not sure if this is a planned option or just a rendering thing, but there's pics without the wings as well

Wings are optional in the army list, so I'm guessing it's planned.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

I get why it doesn't have legs (as a wyrm), but I think that's what detracts from it for me. It doesn't look fast/threatening just squished up on the ground like that. A more dynamic pose would really help - rearing up on top of a boulder or something to that effect - and it could still fit on a 50x50 base (which I assume is why it's all squished up to begin with).

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It looks too big, I figured it's be around the size of the Naiad mounts.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think it's actually been designed around the 75x75mm square base that the Dungeon Saga dragon and Greater Earth Elemental/Obsidian Golem were given

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

I think it's actually been designed around the 75x75mm square base that the Dungeon Saga dragon and Greater Earth Elemental/Obsidian Golem were given

This is not a trend I'm a fan of. The rules of the game are for 50mm monsters, not 75mm. Larger models are harder to transport. And it just screams "big centerpiece models" which Kings of War isn't really about.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah I don't like it either, and there were some critics when it was brought up on facebook; that being said, I don't think anyone from Mantic confirmed what base size the sculptor was working from.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is not a trend I'm a fan of. The rules of the game are for 50mm monsters, not 75mm. Larger models are harder to transport. And it just screams "big centerpiece models" which Kings of War isn't really about.

For the most part I agree with you, but as a caveat the rules for monsters say the following:

Exceptional Base Sizes posted:

You may need a wider or deeper base for exceptionally large heroes, monsters or war engines - in such rare cases, use the smallest base that you can fit your model on.

I know you're well aware of this, I'm just quoting it because I'm feeling a little pedantic :ssh:

Said rule is fine for people using other models or from other games where they're too big or unwieldy to be put on 50mm bases, but their official models ought to actually fit on 50mm bases and not use exceptional base sizes as justification for making dragons and golems on 75mm bases. It's strange and kind of stupid.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/edge-of-the-abyss.html

Soft launch for the summer campaign Edge of the Abyss, with 5 new resin character/hero minis up for preorder - Artakl, Gekkotah Clutch Warden; Mau`Ti-Bu-Su, Abyssal Temptress; Magnilde, Varangur Demon Hunter; Eckter, Placoderm Defender; and Jarvis, Ophidian Obsessed Academic.

Firestorm games also has a preorder up for a new 2 player starter called The Battle of the Glades, this one Nature vs Abyssals with 20 Hard Plastic Naiad Ensnarers/Heartpiercers, 20 Hard Plastic Salamanders, 1 Metal Druid, 20 Hard Plastic Lower Abyssals/Flamebearers, 20 Hard Plastic Succubi, 1 Metal Abyssal Champion, and 1 Kings of War Gamer’s Edition Rulebook.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 15, 2017

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Slimnoid posted:

It's strange and kind of stupid.

Yes it is.

We want to make them upgradeable in 3rd edition so the 75mm base comes with extra benefits, but taking it up with Mantic to bring those plans forwards because it's getting a bit ridiculous now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Daedleh you and your crew have set the bar too high with KoW. FireFight is such a clusterfuck right now with some deeply broken poo poo that I'm about to drop it. I was able to get Matt's email to answer some rules questions and he was like "shrug, that's the rule. If you wanna house rule something different until we update it with (terrible alternative rule I just suggested) then go for it."