Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
helped a friend set up a new laptop (i.e. clean off shitware that was installed by OEM)

as per protocol, first thing i tried to do was create recovery media

found out that this is a huge pain in the rear end with windows 8.1, i didn't seem to be at all able to create a bootable recovery usb drive that would install onto a blank disk

i could create a small bootable drive that needed an existing recovery partition to operate, or i could create a backup of that recovery partition (i think) that wasn't bootable and wasn't recognized by the mimimal bootable environment

called lenovo and they said "yep if you have a blank hard disk you need windows media, it's $60" and i said that's loving outrageous, the guy tried to say it was for piracy or some poo poo, didn't have a response when i said that the windows 8 license status was baked into the firmware and if i was going to pirate windows 8 i'd get a legit iso image directly from microsoft

have to pay an extra $60 for the privilege of transferring a win8 install to a solid state drive, i guess. gently caress all modern consumer electronics. hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Lysidas posted:

helped a friend set up a new laptop (i.e. clean off shitware that was installed by OEM)

as per protocol, first thing i tried to do was create recovery media

found out that this is a huge pain in the rear end with windows 8.1, i didn't seem to be at all able to create a bootable recovery usb drive that would install onto a blank disk

i could create a small bootable drive that needed an existing recovery partition to operate, or i could create a backup of that recovery partition (i think) that wasn't bootable and wasn't recognized by the mimimal bootable environment

called lenovo and they said "yep if you have a blank hard disk you need windows media, it's $60" and i said that's loving outrageous, the guy tried to say it was for piracy or some poo poo, didn't have a response when i said that the windows 8 license status was baked into the firmware and if i was going to pirate windows 8 i'd get a legit iso image directly from microsoft

have to pay an extra $60 for the privilege of transferring a win8 install to a solid state drive, i guess. gently caress all modern consumer electronics. hard.

ms has a free tool you can download that will let you install 8.1 to usb

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

program666 posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/hands-on-with-hololens-making-the-virtual-real/

so much that they pretty much narrate the entire video in each article basically so I guess we're good, I mean, two reputable journalistic reviews presenting articles that have impressions that match exactly the reveal video, what more confirmation do we need?

I thought Ars was doing pretty well on articles recently, oh well.

Looking forward to what The Carmack has to say, I doubt Microsoft will let one near him.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/558022864918818816

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 23, 2015

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

uncurable mlady posted:

ms has a free tool you can download that will let you install 8.1 to usb

oh of course it's a separate download and not built in

anything i could find through some googling and lenovo forums and lenovo support said "nope"

thanks, i'll have to try that if it comes to it but i'm crossing my fingers to never touch another windows machine

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

pfft having to have physical media to reinstall an os. i appreciate that it's not as easy for microsoft to do what apple do wrt internet recovery, but surely uefi is supposed to enable much more feature rich recovery partitions where logging into an ms account and starting a network install wouldn't be impossible.

in 20 years lol

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Cygni posted:

i love the incredibly predictable wave of hot takes from the media when it comes to gimmicky consumer electronics

-announcement day: AMAZING LIFE CHANGING its still a prototype BUT THE WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME
-launch day: doesnt quite deliver what we thought it would, dont buy it yet. maybe someday they will iron it out! great potential!
-1 year later, after market rejection: lol remember when all those OTHER idiots thought this would be good, lets all laugh about it

Extremetech is really hit or miss but their live blog was one of the few that was actually grounded

(read from bottom up)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

that's about the same bad tracking as everyone else, didn't notice so much in the live feed as I guess it was stalling too much :lol:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

shadow puppet of a posted:

the fine print on the windows 10 page seems to indicate that the update from 7 to 10 is going to come through the normal windows update process which should take most win7 users by surprise and the pirated users along with it

i look forward to the day half the world wakes up to the candy fart dream of windows 10 angry and unable to do anything about it because nobody owns install media anymore

not specifically, it could be one of those standalone updaters that connects to windows update and requires you be at the right patch level to work

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Yeah every time I've used AR/VR it's been severely hampered by latency and image focus issues.

I haven't used the occulus rift, but I'm pretty skeptical. At least john carmack seems to be obsessively focused on the latency issue

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dad: "why the hell is everything apps now?"

me: "cause they want it to run on your computer, your phone, and your tablet"

dad: "aren't we going backwards? why do i want to run one thing at a time in a big window on my computer?"

me: "well in windows 10 you can make them smaller!"

dad: "isn't that just a dos box?"

my god... we've gone back in time...

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Amethyst posted:

john carmack seems to be obsessive

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

let's see what users have to say about Windows 10

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

i lol'd

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
same

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lmao

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

this program is from 1997 and is still being sold.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
whoa i just realized. isn't windows 10 the first windows that you can upgrade directly to from any windows other than the latest? from xp you had to go through vista to get to 7, there was no direct upgrade. letting people upgrade from windows 7 direct to 10 would be groundbreaking (and also a tacit admission that 8 failed)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

whoa i just realized. isn't windows 10 the first windows that you can upgrade directly to from any windows other than the latest? from xp you had to go through vista to get to 7, there was no direct upgrade. letting people upgrade from windows 7 direct to 10 would be groundbreaking (and also a tacit admission that 8 failed)

both 98 and me could be upgraded to xp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i am so glad i never had to upgrade our computer from win9x to nt

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah and microsoft has never really suggested those upgrade paths, they've always wanted you to do a fresh install instead

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

anthonypants posted:

yeah and microsoft has never really suggested those upgrade paths, they've always wanted you to do a fresh install instead

I've never been able to upgrade from one version of windows to another without weird intermittent poo poo happening afterwards, me getting frustrated, and doing a fresh install a month later like I should have from the start.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

dad: "why the hell is everything apps now?"

one of lg's selling points for their webos tv is that "everything is an app". inputs, favorite channels, netflix, whatever. any discrete function that you can flag as a favorite is called an app. the idea is that people will go "oh, apps? i know how to use apps! :downs:" and will think that device is easier to use

exactly the same logic here

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I used that recently and it was good, but prior to that, reinstalling windows 8/8.1 without media blew (their previous downloader(s) wouldn't let you download 8.1 with an 8 key, and also it just kinda sucked in general)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

duTrieux. posted:

any discrete function that you can flag as a favorite is called an app.

great now tell this to google so I can get unbanned from the play store and collect on all these youtube channel apps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

great now tell this to google so I can get unbanned from the play store and collect on all these youtube channel apps
wait wait awit, how does one get banned on google play

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

wait wait awit, how does one get banned on google play

there was a guy who kept making single-youtube-channel apps and naming them to match the channel, so that it looked like they were officially provided by the people who owned the channels in question. he got banned and threw a shitfit about how google was just as bad as apple

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh jfc

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
he was hoping to get swooped up by a big tech company, impressed by his impressive development resume.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
the article was https://medium.com/@sgehrman/banned-for-life-c62f2404f66 but it's been deleted

hn thread about it: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8095974

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh my god.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-windows-10-update-for-surface-rt/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol has there even been a mobile microsoft thing released in the last like 5 years that has gotten more than like a year of updates?

just keep making GBS threads on the early adopters, thats the way to get them to keep buying your stuff

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rt has always been the red-headed stepchild

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

microsoft probably wonders why nobody gets onboard with their stuff

apple has the best record in extended support for mobile devices. apple

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

same as wp7 to wp8 then

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

got a winner here:

quote:

Sad. It really emphasizes again that you should only buy things for what they do now, not what appears to be promised.

I don't have a WinRT device but I have a Blackberry Playbook and I feel cheated by the cancelled update to BB10.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

lol has there even been a mobile microsoft thing released in the last like 5 years that has gotten more than like a year of updates?
well the wp i have has been out for over two years and was updated to 8.1 last september or summat

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

well tbf it's not like they called it Windows UpgradesForSure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

got a winner here:

lmao that they were reading that article probably means they were considering a windows rt thing

• Locked thread