Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Well when you transform into a huge door its kinda hard to do stuff like that

I'm sure Karnak could sort that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Champions aside, I thought the Marvel stuff I bought this week was all great. Bullseye is off to an interesting start.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So it seems like replacing my Champions subscription with a Wasp subscription would be a pretty good move, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wasp is really really good so far and champions really really is not

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Viridiant posted:

So it seems like replacing my Champions subscription with a Wasp subscription would be a pretty good move, right?

extremely good move imo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Manatee Cannon posted:

someone should have mentioned that to the people behind death of x

That's the big issue. I feel like no matter what head office has in mind, the writers sometimes like or dislike a character way too much to actually go along with the plan. Someone says "Make Cyclops go full evil" and the Death of X writers just make him heroically sacrifice himself. Someone says "Make Iron Man and Captain America equally wrong about registration" and JMS and Dan Slott flip their lid and turn Tony Stark into Triple Hitler. Editorial hasn't been doing their job for over a decade so this kind of thing just keeps happening.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm replacing Champions with Wasp myself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Viridiant posted:

Indeed.

Manatee Cannon posted:

wasp is really really good so far and champions really really is not

And yet Marvel is so intent on Champions being a hit that they are overshipping every goddamned issue to artificially pump up their sales.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Indeed.

And yet Marvel is so intent on Champions being a hit that they are overshipping every goddamned issue to artificially pump up their sales.

Are they making you pay for it or are they at least making it returnable like dc was doing with rebirth stuff (or at least i think you said they were??)

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure Karnak could sort that out.

Finally, another Karnak/Eldrak shipper.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

PEOPLE DIE WHEN GENOCIDE HAPPENS

Cyclops didn't cause a genocide, he tried to prevent one.

You know, they could have just made it so that the terrigen cloud prevented the x-gene from activating. That would have put the mutants and inhumans on even footing. Cyclops could have gotten all huffy, like "The inhumans have stolen our destiny! All of our struggles, all the sacrifices we made, all for nothing! JEEEEAAAAAANNN" and then we would have had Cyclops attacking the inhumans and wiping out their cloud, and it would have been a believable, sensible character arc where Cyclops actually became a villain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Are they making you pay for it or are they at least making it returnable like dc was doing with rebirth stuff (or at least i think you said they were??)

We don't have to pay for it and they even give us shipping credit. In the end it's more books to toss in the dollar bins after a year. But it's shady as gently caress on their part, especially since #1 had a 100% overship to qualifying stores.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maxwell Adams posted:

You know, they could have just made it so that the terrigen cloud prevented the x-gene from activating. That would have put the mutants and inhumans on even footing. Cyclops could have gotten all huffy, like "The inhumans have stolen our destiny! All of our struggles, all the sacrifices we made, all for nothing! JEEEEAAAAAANNN" and then we would have had Cyclops attacking the inhumans and wiping out their cloud, and it would have been a believable, sensible character arc where Cyclops actually became a villain.

seriously it's so loving insane they're trying to make the guys on the 'I'd rather not have my entire group get killed by your retarded death cloud' the bad guys. This would have been a perfect solution, yea, then it's just pure 'but then WE won't be special' fighting and it'd be really easy for either side to be the rear end in a top hat there. The fact that they're putting weird super human eugenics on the same level as having the entire...race(?)...of another wiped out is bonkers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mutants are also a weird eugenics experiment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

I actually kinda felt the opposite cuz there's no way you're coming from this world and reacting to seeing bigotry by saying yeah theres no way this could happen without supervillain interference

I choose to read that she is in denial, that she's obsessed with everything being like a comic so therefor there has to be darker layer to it.

Though I think that Champions would be better served with them taking on, more traditional villainy rather than trying to be all topical and edgy.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
So what's changed with Waid, anyway? Before Daredevil I've only really read 52, so I dont know if he's been this bad before, but he's hitting some Secret Avengers by Nick Spencer politics ham fisting on champions.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I don't mean to break the IvX echo-chamber, but y'all, this issue of Avengers. Y'ALL, this issue of Avengers! Holy poo poo it was so good and it was nothing but Kang.

Give Kang a solo series

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skeematic posted:

So what's changed with Waid, anyway? Before Daredevil I've only really read 52, so I dont know if he's been this bad before, but he's hitting some Secret Avengers by Nick Spencer politics ham fisting on champions.

He has no idea what teenagers actually sound like or how modern young people interact with each other.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kang is a great villain in the hands of someone that actually understands the character. And Waid is really good with him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Kang is a great villain in the hands of someone that actually understands the character. And Waid is really good with him.

Waid's work on Avengers is fantastic. ANAD was only so-so for the above reasons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if anyone has been reading Waid's flashback issues of Avengers but if not you've been missing out. They're amazing. Retro Hawkeye is seriously the best rear end in a top hat ever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maxwell Adams posted:

In a way it would be genocide if they destroyed the cloud as it would mean no more inhumams. It would end their race.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Rhyno posted:

He has no idea what teenagers actually sound like or how modern young people interact with each other.

Is it a case of "no longer" has an idea? Isn't his Impulse stuff well regarded?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

His Archie series is literally nothing but this and it's loving great.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
holy poo poo that karnak 6 part series finally finished, it's only been what, 2 years?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

In a way it would be genocide if they destroyed the cloud as it would mean no more inhumams. It would end their race.

That is really not a stretching of the word I can approve of. That'd be like saying giving everyone on earth mutant powers would be a genocide of the human race.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

frodnonnag posted:

holy poo poo that karnak 6 part series finally finished, it's only been what, 2 years?

You've been Ellis'd.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can't wait for The Wild Storm to do the same thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

they'd still have the whatever gene that would give them super powers and the current powered inhumans wouldn't die, so not really? they just wouldn't be able to give themselves super powers whatever, and sorry but I'm not that sympathetic to their plight on this point since if they found more terrigen, they could always start making more inhumans just fine

especially not when the consequences for the other side are so much worse. every dies or everyone leaves, plus they were all sterilized and any new mutants born on the planet to human parents just die? "yeah but we can't give ourselves super powers anymore" isn't a convincing counter argument to that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Mutants are also a weird eugenics experiment.

I thought this was an ultimate line thing? Is this canon in 616 as well?

twistedmentat posted:

I choose to read that she is in denial, that she's obsessed with everything being like a comic so therefor there has to be darker layer to it.

I guess they dont bother to have authors read each others book when guesting them huh. "Who's gwenpool?" heres a bullet point list of her characteristics" "oh cool thanks"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that was an ultimates thing. the american government made mutants or something like that

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

IvX is probably gonna end with the X-Men destroying the cloud and the Inhumans being like "oh we can get some more from the Kree so off we go into space!"

I also like Champions. Some of it is heavy-handed, but I like how all the characters interact.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

I thought this was an ultimate line thing? Is this canon in 616 as well?

Manatee Cannon posted:

that was an ultimates thing. the american government made mutants or something like that

Uh-uh. Much like the Kree created the Inhumans as a weirdo experiment, Mutants were created by Celestial experiments on the human genome.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I would like it more if Champions had that character interaction stuff that I like, but it was during the usual superhero shenanigans.

This issue just felt like the worst timing possible for a very special episode.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Uh-uh. Much like the Kree created the Inhumans as a weirdo experiment, Mutants were created by Celestial experiments on the human genome.

Not trying to bust on anyone, when did this become canon i had never heard of this

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Not trying to bust on anyone, when did this become canon i had never heard of this

It's some deep lore that doesn't come up often (because it contradicts the weirdo "next step in human evolution" narrative that Cyclops and Magneto love to trot out) but it's been canon since I wanna say the late 70s.

E: Yeah, 1976-77.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's one of those stupid things that is still somehow technically canon because it's never been contradicted but I can't remember the last time it's actually come up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not stupid, it's great. It makes all the stupid philosophical debates the X-people constantly have null and void. They're a failed science experiment made by aliens.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

It's not stupid, it's great. It makes all the stupid philosophical debates the X-people constantly have null and void. They're a failed science experiment made by aliens.

Was all the evidence of this destroyed like in ultimates, or rather is this known at all to anybody alive in 616?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Was all the evidence of this destroyed like in ultimates, or rather is this known at all to anybody alive in 616?

I think Apocalypse definitely knows. Not sure about anyone else. I'd be more sure if the X-men had fewer timelines.

• Locked thread