Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There are genestealer cults in Necromunda, but they're just operating in small packs rather than as a world-wide conspiracy.

I'm surprised at all the content they've been able to stuff into Necromunda, but there's still a lot that hasn't returned.

At one point it was an Imperial Fists recruiting world.

Teen children of nobility would don superhero suits to hunt gangers for sport. It was a twisted coming of age ritual.

Whole gangs of mutant "scavvys" would form, eventually forming armies when united under a scavvy king.

A Plague Zombie outbreak was worsened by a psyker who was able to influence the dead.

I'm hopeful that some of the weirder stuff will show up in the next big expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

moths posted:

There are genestealer cults in Necromunda, but they're just operating in small packs rather than as a world-wide conspiracy.

I'm surprised at all the content they've been able to stuff into Necromunda, but there's still a lot that hasn't returned.

Teen children of nobility would don superhero suits to hunt gangers for sport. It was a twisted coming of age ritual.

Whole gangs of mutant "scavvys" would form, eventually forming armies when united under a scavvy king.

A Plague Zombie outbreak was worsened by a psyker who was able to influence the dead.

I'm hopeful that some of the weirder stuff will show up in the next big expansion.

yeah the ash wastes was what first made me take a glance at necromunda, if the next big expansion is something super I'll probably try it out. really love those goliath brutes and escher ladies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

All we know so far is that it's underground. There are a lot of theories of what that'll mean, but this little floaty-bug is almost certainly associated with it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

moths posted:

I think this is still technically true, it's just that it doesn't have any bearing on Necromunda the game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/14/the-warhammer-skulls-video-games-festival-is-less-than-two-weeks-away/

The Warhammer Skulls showcase is back again this year at the end of the month. But I wouldn't get my hopes up for any new games being announced going by the announcement, but hopefully there'll be a surprise or two in there.

quote:

There are announcements from Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 and Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun to look forward to, plus even more news and reveals for Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, Total War: Warhammer, Blood Bowl 3, Warhammer 40,000: Tacticus, Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector, Warhammer 40,000: Warpforge, and Warhammer 40,000: Darktide.

Also, BOLTGUN(!).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

neaden posted:

The Imperium explicitly considers democracy to be heresy, since it's teaching that leaders can change instead of just obeying your superiors. The Blood Ravens homeworld was destroyed for it for example.

You mean hardliners within the Central bureaucracy consider it heresy; the imperium certainly contains meritorious democracies, just like it contains techno barbarians that move in mass caravans along continent spanning elevated highways which pass above a roiling sea of lethal gas, the left overs from an apocalyptic chem war. Or mechanical death cults that perform cycles of ritualized slaughter in the name of an aspect of the Omnissiah called "The Quarter Prophet", and anything else I or anyone else want to make up on the spot because a core element of the not actually real, and in fact quite made up world of 40k is that The Imperium is a big place with intentionally undefined places, and room to create your own stories.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The tension of trying to run a vaguely fair democratic state while under the heel of a galaxy spanning fascist regime would be neat fodder for a book.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

moths posted:

i really liked the ratskins, who were the descendants of the original hive builders and live in reclusive tribes in the underhive. they took the place of the native americans of the quasi-wild west setting of the underhive, and have a deep mystical connection to the hive. but gw is apparently moving away from that aspect of the setting, which i get

there's one short story about a tribe who needs to start picking their next leader and sends five braves out to journey to the outside and shout at the sun, whoever makes it back is the next leader. anything that underlines just how ancient these human habitations are is a cool part of the setting

there's also one novella about the spyrers (the noble teens to go human hunting in their murdersuits) that leads all the way to hive bottom

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's also one novella about the spyrers (the noble teens to go human hunting in their murdersuits) that leads all the way to hive bottom

Time to quote my favourite piece of Necromunda related fiction. Three boys from Hive Trazior - one upper hive hedonist, one low-hive technician, and one hive scum ganger - are selected for screening, to see if they would make suitable aspirants for the Imperial Fists. Having made it through the biological and psychic tests, they're interviewed by an Imperial Fists Sergeant, and asked a simple question.

Space Marine by Ian Watson posted:

“Lexandro d’Arquebus,” demanded the possessor of that extraordinary physique, “what is the name of the Emperor?”
“I d-don’t know, sir,” Lexandro stuttered; and for once the title of Sir came sincerely to his lips. He gritted his teeth, angry at his tongue for having tripped him. He had never stuttered before, neither during his humiliating initiation into the Lordly Phantasms, nor on any subsequent hazardous escapade with them. Nor even when the d’Arquebus family was demoted. However, this was different. Goose bumps pocked his bare flesh. He felt genuine awe at this superhuman man, at once so puissant, so self-possessed, so monomaniac in his demeanour.
How could he answer? Surely no one knew the name of the distant, immortal Lord of Mankind – in whom Lexandro had only ever felt the most casual interest since his early catechisms.
“Awesome is His name, sir,” he suggested, and the giant almost smiled.
“So I am your Emperor here, it seems. True enough. In His name I can crush you – or increase you. Think carefully: would you become a Space Marine in His service?”

“Yeremi Valence,” said the Marine, “what is the name of the Emperor?”
“Of the Godfather of All?” whispered Yeremi, haunted by the memory of Yakobi being forced towards the heat-sink.
“Willpower: the Godfather’s name is that. Willpower supreme.”
“A good answer to a question that has no simple answer. A reverent answer. A forceful answer.”
“Why, then, Sir, is it His will that we in our hive are beset by so many enemies within? Above and below. Why does Will not breed stronger Law?”
The Marine regarded Yeremi with increasing interest. “For thus, Yeremi Valence, is the condition of the galaxy itself. As above, so below! Enemies fester everywhere. Foes and traitors. The miracle is that His will prevails generally across a million worlds. And it shall prevail, indomitably! Through death, through blood. That is the only universal law.”
Yeremi thought of the remote Lord Helmawr plucking the strands of the web of Necromunda. The Imperial Governor could only ever heed truly weighty wasps that sought to tear that web apart – not the myriad mites that bit one another.
In the Godly mind of the Emperor whole worlds might well be mere mites… A yawning, awesome, black perspective opened within Yeremi’s soul.
“Would you yield yourself to Him utterly Yeremi Valence, to help impose His will?” asked the Marine.

“Biff Tundrish,” said the huge man in yellow and blue.
However, he continued by using swank-words that Biff couldn’t comprend at all. Biff shook his head, rattling his beads, and answered in scumlingo,
slowly, to show that he couldn’t savvy.
The giant nodded. Presently a trooper appeared and translated, after a fashion, glaring hostilely at Biff. “Bigman says: you give him namenz of the Emp.”
Biff puzzled his brains. He thunk fast. The Emp was the Emp, natch. Techs worshipped the Emp. Even scum swore by the Emp. On occasion; mostly they jus’ swore. The Emp was mega-bossgod. Yet who was the Emp? Where was the Emp?
Everywhere. Nowhere.
Somewhere.
Not here.
Not in Trazior.
So maybe nowhere near.
Maybe the Emp was further away than Biff could imagine.
And even more mega. What was the most mega thing Biff knew? He stared the giant in the eye, and said boldly:
“Emp’s namenz is Bigger-Than-You. Emp’s namenz is Death.”
The giant seemed to understand even before the trooper turned Biff’s utterance into swank-words. He smiled faintly.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah, canonically the imperium doesn't give a poo poo what form of government a place has so long as it pays lip service to the emperor, isn't involved with chaos or aliens, and pays it's tithes on time.

This is extremely overstated in fan discussion about 40k, what's actually depicted in the fiction is that the Adminstratum doesn't care so long as tithe obligations are met (and they may just randomly raise them on you) but that the Ecclesiarchy and High Nobility of the Imperium VERY MUCH care about what type of government a planet has and will always put their thumb on the scale for any form of repressive hierarchy whether it takes the form of an aristocratic oligarchy, military dictatorship or theocracy. Even if you had a vaguely democratic system the local Cardinal is going to be exerting an extreme amount of pressure to get his way.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Even if you had a vaguely democratic system the local Cardinal is going to be exerting an extreme amount of pressure to get his way.

You're right, but also a) the local power of the Eccesiarchy can vary, and b) this is true no matter what system of government the planet has. The tension between church and state is baked into the setting, and can take many forms. It's easy to imagine a planet ruled by a council that echoes the High Lords, but with elected members from each hive + seats for a Cardinal, Mechanicus rep, PDF General, etc.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The tension of trying to run a vaguely fair democratic state while under the heel of a galaxy spanning fascist regime would be neat fodder for a book.

I actually have an idea for this type of thing, although i dont know if GW accepts book idea solicitations from non brits

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure they do, but you still have to write at least one Space Marine story before that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Al-Saqr posted:

I actually have an idea for this type of thing, although i dont know if GW accepts book idea solicitations from non brits

I don’t see why that would disqualify you. I’d keep an eye out for the next open submissions window.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Black Library periodically accepts open submissions, but they'll name a specific subject and length. The last one was early 2023 and a 100 word summary and 500 word sample of a short story on a successor chapter. I don't think they accept pitches, unless maybe you're an author they've worked with before.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

moths posted:

They’ve actually ramped up the weirdness on Necromunda in recent years.

It might have been attacked by necrons (or some mystery aliens) during the great crusade and razed to the current wasteland world.

House Goliath are now bordeline abhuman genetically modified test tube babies, originally made as a slave people.

House Delaque are somehow psychically linked to pre-human fish gods.

House Van Saar might be descended from dark age of technology survivors who got lost in the warp and were shat out on Necromunda, and certainly have access to a slightly broken STC that would still make the AdMech freak out.

There’s a squat enclave and questionably human ash waste nomads riding giant bugs… I guess in a sense it’s kind of the planet with an implausible amount of weird poo poo but I kind of like how they just keep cramming esoteric 2000AD stuff in.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

neaden posted:

Black Library periodically accepts open submissions, but they'll name a specific subject and length. The last one was early 2023 and a 100 word summary and 500 word sample of a short story on a successor chapter. I don't think they accept pitches, unless maybe you're an author they've worked with before.

Even then you have to be established to do it, and even then you're in for a struggle. It was one of the reasons why Josh Reynolds stopped writing for BL, because they kept turning down all his pitches.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I love the Ash Wastes Nomads because they're just the Fremen from Dune as imagined by stoner metalheads

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Do Escher heads fit well/scale well for Sister of Battle? Might make me some Punk Rock Sisters for my next army.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Time to quote my favourite piece of Necromunda related fiction. Three boys from Hive Trazior - one upper hive hedonist, one low-hive technician, and one hive scum ganger - are selected for screening, to see if they would make suitable aspirants for the Imperial Fists. Having made it through the biological and psychic tests, they're interviewed by an Imperial Fists Sergeant, and asked a simple question.

I’ve never gotten around to reading Watson, is he generally this good? Or is the rest just tyranid butthole stuff?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Super Waffle posted:

Do Escher heads fit well/scale well for Sister of Battle? Might make me some Punk Rock Sisters for my next army.

I've fit a SoB heads just fine on Escher bodies so the reverse should work!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Syncopated posted:

I’ve never gotten around to reading Watson, is he generally this good? Or is the rest just tyranid butthole stuff?

Yes.

Also the Tyranid butthole stuff generally works in context.

It's absurd, but he'll be talking about something like the architecture having a gangbang to underscore just how weird and ill advised visiting daemon world gently caress 827 was.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Syncopated posted:

Iain Watson understands that Warhammer is gross and weird and everyone in it is deeply hosed up. SPACE MARINE doesn't really have much of a plot per-se, but it lacks the bland homogenization that modern 40K fiction can fall into.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Inquisitor War trilogy has a plot, and then it completely loses it and the end of the second book and just becomes one man's hunt to revive his waifu after he slept with her.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
“This book isn’t that weird I don’t see what everyone was talking ab”

Ah, the slaanesh buildings just started loving each other, crushing the inhabitants to death.

Yeah, I’m with you now.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

MKX Tacticus vs updated MKVI

This size disparity is killing me.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The Demilich posted:

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

MKX Tacticus vs updated MKVI

This size disparity is killing me.

Yeah, I built a model based off a Primaris character last year for 30k (changing the armor up enough that it's easier to pass off as artificer armor), and I knew I was in trouble when I grabbed one of the new-scale models he was supposed to go with and the top of its head was below the bottom of the Primaris guy's chin. The disparity for characters in particular is huge. Indomitus terminator captain had less of an issue compared to Cataphractii, surprisingly.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

This is extremely overstated in fan discussion about 40k, what's actually depicted in the fiction is that the Adminstratum doesn't care so long as tithe obligations are met (and they may just randomly raise them on you) but that the Ecclesiarchy and High Nobility of the Imperium VERY MUCH care about what type of government a planet has and will always put their thumb on the scale for any form of repressive hierarchy whether it takes the form of an aristocratic oligarchy, military dictatorship or theocracy. Even if you had a vaguely democratic system the local Cardinal is going to be exerting an extreme amount of pressure to get his way.

I believe that there's a reference to Tanith having democracies at one point in the Gaunt's Ghosts books.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Cease to Hope posted:

words about CSM book

I think you’re generally closer to my thoughts than those in the Goonhammer codex review.

I really like the concept of the Renegade Raiders detachment, and it (unlike many others) it feels like it has a real plan to win, a general shape and intent of play for real games - but I think it falls apart on current points values. The detachment is built around charges out of transports with shooting and biker support, and your two real options for charges out of transports are legionaries (decent, but their rule is redundant to the headline stratagem here) and chosen (real expensive for a pretty fragile unit). Your other options are termies or possessed out of a land raider. Termies are overcosted and their rule is also redundant, and possessed just don’t make sense anymore - not unless their points get cut so much that they become a plain old stat line speed bump you throw in front of things, rather than a heavy hitter unit. Leaves your best use case with a bunch of overcosted Chosen. (If Chosen come down to 110 or 115 for 5, Raiders likely shoot up to top tier.)

I feel like the Warpack will still see a lot of use by degenerate stat-check bullshit players. It’s got some neat gimmicks but it feels like it’s already designed to run out of gas turn 3 or so against any serious opposition.

Personally, I build my own lists specifically to punish vehicle/monster skew guys for their sins. I accept that I won’t win any tournament I’m in, as long as the vehicle/monster skew guys lose.

The other, more serious gripe, though - as long as Warpack exists, demon engines will be costed based on their use case for the Warpack. To me, this means that my three Maulerfiends (among other things) are guaranteed to stay on the shelf this edition. They will never make sense in a Word Bearers list as long as the Warpack rules are real and people play them. It’s really depressing when you think about GW falling into these obvious design traps.

At first I thought the Iron Warriors rules might have real play. The biggest problem with playing traditional CSMs right now - I mean a good mixed-arms rush list that hits hard, and not AC/DC spam or that Abaddon gunline horseshit - is that you can rack up a huge lead but it’s incredibly easy to simply get bodied right off the table around turn 3 or 4. CSMs were reliant on all the critical 5s because that was the only way they’d do enough damage to keep from getting obliterated by a single counterpunch. Even then it still happened a lot. When I saw Iron Warriors at first, I thought, oh, a way to make gunline lists suffer - I’m interested. The more I think about it, though, it feels like you’re just going to pact yourself to death while you die to melee instead of shooting.

I was kind of surprised at how mediocre the black legion rules were.

Overall it feels like it’s easy for people to fixate on a few buffs (like warp talons, which will probably be nerfed in the next dataslate), but miss that the overall picture here is more nerfs than buffs. The army is in a worse place now and warp talons don’t make up for that. The dark pacts nerf in particular isn’t one you can get away from by just replacing bad units.

I’ll be sticking to the Word Bearers rules for the moment - I feel like the army lives or dies by it’s ability to hit super hard - but if it turns into a situation where only Warpack is viable, that to me is just design failure.

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 14, 2024

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Warp Talons skipping leg day has been disastrous for the Night Lords as a whole.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That's most of the reason why I did my NL Raptors with Legionary bodies, I had some Warp Talons done and was looking at them going "these are way too skinny especially in the legs"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You guys don't think the slender legs give the Raptors a more suitable avian appearance?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I dunno I'm pretty positive on NL after listening to the Red Path fellas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBkQqcXM6Dk

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

AndyElusive posted:

You guys don't think the slender legs give the Raptors a more suitable avian appearance?

I think it works better for the Warp Talons, with the Raptors even with their avian names my mental image of them is basically just a chaos assault marine, chunkiness intact. Lucoryphus was always called a raptor in the NL books but everything about him screamed Warp Talon to me, as correct or incorrect as that may be.

Also the bigger part of it is I had just finished like 10 Warp Talons that were all that same squad with the same body in slightly different poses and the thought of using 90% of those frames again on another squad didn't sound fun at all.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Coldbird posted:

I think you’re generally closer to my thoughts than those in the Goonhammer codex review.

I really like the concept of the Renegade Raiders detachment, and it (unlike many others) it feels like it has a real plan to win, a general shape and intent of play for real games - but I think it falls apart on current points values. The detachment is built around charges out of transports with shooting and biker support, and your two real options for charges out of transports are legionaries (decent, but their rule is redundant to the headline stratagem here) and chosen (real expensive for a pretty fragile unit). Your other options are termies or possessed out of a land raider. Termies are overcosted and their rule is also redundant, and possessed just don’t make sense anymore - not unless their points get cut so much that they become a plain old stat line speed bump you throw in front of things, rather than a heavy hitter unit. Leaves your best use case with a bunch of overcosted Chosen. (If Chosen come down to 110 or 115 for 5, Raiders likely shoot up to top tier.)

I feel like the Warpack will still see a lot of use by degenerate stat-check bullshit players. It’s got some neat gimmicks but it feels like it’s already designed to run out of gas turn 3 or so against any serious opposition.

Personally, I build my own lists specifically to punish vehicle/monster skew guys for their sins. I accept that I won’t win any tournament I’m in, as long as the vehicle/monster skew guys lose.

The other, more serious gripe, though - as long as Warpack exists, demon engines will be costed based on their use case for the Warpack. To me, this means that my three Maulerfiends (among other things) are guaranteed to stay on the shelf this edition. They will never make sense in a Word Bearers list as long as the Warpack rules are real and people play them. It’s really depressing when you think about GW falling into these obvious design traps.

At first I thought the Iron Warriors rules might have real play. The biggest problem with playing traditional CSMs right now - I mean a good mixed-arms rush list that hits hard, and not AC/DC spam or that Abaddon gunline horseshit - is that you can rack up a huge lead but it’s incredibly easy to simply get bodied right off the table around turn 3 or 4. CSMs were reliant on all the critical 5s because that was the only way they’d do enough damage to keep from getting obliterated by a single counterpunch. Even then it still happened a lot. When I saw Iron Warriors at first, I thought, oh, a way to make gunline lists suffer - I’m interested. The more I think about it, though, it feels like you’re just going to pact yourself to death while you die to melee instead of shooting.

I was kind of surprised at how mediocre the black legion rules were.

Overall it feels like it’s easy for people to fixate on a few buffs (like warp talons, which will probably be nerfed in the next dataslate), but miss that the overall picture here is more nerfs than buffs. The army is in a worse place now and warp talons don’t make up for that. The dark pacts nerf in particular isn’t one you can get away from by just replacing bad units.

I’ll be sticking to the Word Bearers rules for the moment - I feel like the army lives or dies by it’s ability to hit super hard - but if it turns into a situation where only Warpack is viable, that to me is just design failure.

Black Legion can Reactive Move Chosen back into a Land Raider for 1 CP idk how that's mediocre

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

I think it works better for the Warp Talons, with the Raptors even with their avian names my mental image of them is basically just a chaos assault marine, chunkiness intact. Lucoryphus was always called a raptor in the NL books but everything about him screamed Warp Talon to me, as correct or incorrect as that may be.

I always thought of Luc and his Raptors as looking like the 4th-edition ones

Much more predatory and avian, hunched appearance, and with feet that don't look like they're much use on the ground. I'd love for the models to go back to this direction, especially the jetpacks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I always thought of Luc and his Raptors as looking like the 4th-edition ones

Much more predatory and avian, hunched appearance, and with feet that don't look like they're much use on the ground. I'd love for the models to go back to this direction, especially the jetpacks.

I think they used these jet packs as reference for the Mk VI assault squad.

Was there ever an explanation why the studio paint scheme for these doesn’t correspond to any legion? It’s a great scheme but it’s rather odd when you think about it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think they used these jet packs as reference for the Mk VI assault squad.

Was there ever an explanation why the studio paint scheme for these doesn’t correspond to any legion? It’s a great scheme but it’s rather odd when you think about it.

I think the original lore when they were introduced at the start of 3rd edition was to explain why they weren't in the 2nd edition Codex, because they were kind of a cult unto themselves, cutting around on their jump packs apart from the other traitor command structures, sometimes entering into the service of Chaos Lords here and there. I guess the idea was life in the warp with a jetpack on was so different that they became their own thing. It may have been a minor retcon as they might have previously been saying Astartes jump pack tech hadn't reached widespread use in the Heresy era.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That all sounds right. I remember references to the Raptor Cult, affiliated with some minor Chaos power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/15/prepare-for-matched-play-updates-with-the-next-action-packed-season-of-warhammer-40000/

A new season of 40k matched play beckons, which means new cards!