Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
omg i sniped a page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

You get to say Luke, I am your father x forever :peanut:

how sad is it that my wife has never seen one star wars and i thought darth vader was han solo's father? that's embarrassing, even for me

i actually didn't realize the whole luke thing until my wife's uncle said something about it yesterday...and i was like "oh yeah that's right" lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Did you realize the guy that runs the city where they have to land the Millennium Falcon is named Lando?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

loving A Beijing looks like the inside of Sauron's rear end in a top hat. The mother-in-law threw in some masks and I'm trying not to think too hard about how effective they are. On the plus side, I get to go practice my lovely jokes at the embassy while she re-ups her visa tomorrow.

I'm also debating taking home the business cards of the local hookers that were slid under our hotel door while we were getting food next door. Seems like a fun novelty gift for the guys back home.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

loving A Beijing looks like the inside of Sauron's rear end in a top hat.

that's china, please respect the culture of a civilization of people that has been around for over 5,000 years. you can't understand it, because you aren't chinese.

nah but really...

Warbird posted:

The mother-in-law threw in some masks and I'm trying not to think too hard about how effective they are.

you're here for like two weeks, you're fine. don't worry about it and take pictures to tell everyone how bad it is back home.

Warbird posted:

I'm also debating taking home the business cards of the local hookers that were slid under our hotel door while we were getting food next door. Seems like a fun novelty gift for the guys back home.

excellent gift. when i was 17 i got a few hooker cards amsterdam as a gift and i probably still have them somewhere put away at my parents place.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Congrats gbm :3:

angel opportunity posted:

she's a special ed teacher so she understands where they are coming from
:aaa:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Warbird posted:

On the plus side, I get to go practice my lovely jokes at the embassy while she re-ups her visa tomorrow.

No you don't. Because you can't go in without an appointment. So hold her purse and have some breakfast while you wait for her outside.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Xiamen was great, visited 5 starbucks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bummer, I had a entire list of "I think I took the wrong turn off the interstate" jokes that no one would laugh at. They also aparently don't let you take bags or cell phones in so I'm stuck here in some coffee/tea shop with no way to get in touch with the only person in the country I know. I doubt anything would go sideways, but it'll be a hoot and a half if it does. I wonder if I could use a combination of the 3 Korean words I know and elaborate gesturing to get the guards to take pity on me.

The Great Autismo! posted:

that's china, please respect the culture of a civilization of people that has been around for over 5,000 years.

Last night it looked like they had been building up smog for the entire duration of those 5000 years, but this morning is pretty nice.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 18, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Bummer, I had a entire list of "I think I took the wrong turn off the interstate" jokes that no one would laugh at. They also aparently don't let you take bags or cell phones in so I'm stuck here in some coffee/tea shop with no way to get in touch with the only person in the country I know. I doubt anything would go sideways, but it'll be a hoot and a half if it does. I wonder if I could use a combination of the 3 Korean words I know and elaborate gesturing to get the guards to take pity on me.

last words spoken before arrest charging in an embassy

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That would have likely been the case as upon second look those were Chinese guards for whatever reason. I had seen the Korean dudes at their embassy earlier and not realized it was a different uniform. Made sense at the time as both countries occupy the same little block of land. Korea has some pretty cool looking castle thing on their grounds too.

We spent most of the afternoon at some street near the square that was some tourist trap. Had fried scorpions and all the fun stereotypes foreigners think when they are asked about Chinese food. The gf got some octopus on a stick and I'm thinking about leaving her. Red Square as interesting, but we didn't do much. It was an interesting change of tone going from modern city to Soviet styling. The palace dohickey on top was pretty, and I'm told we're going to go chill with Mao today.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Xiamen was great, visited 5 starbucks.

The weirdest thing about Starbucks in China is that it seemed like they cost exactly the same as in the US.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They actually cost more, I think. I know they do in Korea.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Starbucks is cheaper in London and has double the selection, so I assume it's even better in the us

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

computer parts posted:

The weirdest thing about Starbucks in China is that it seemed like they cost exactly the same as in the US.

Is an americano like 4 bux and normal drip coffee like 3 bux in the US? This is a real question as I have not been to a us Starbucks in like 4 years.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
americano is like just over $3.00 and drip is like $2.00

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Is an americano like 4 bux and normal drip coffee like 3 bux in the US? This is a real question as I have not been to a us Starbucks in like 4 years.

Smallest drip coffee is $1.95 in CA

Chinese Starbucks is more expensive.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

angel opportunity posted:

americano is like just over $3.00 and drip is like $2.00

If you get the smallest size like a schmuck.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I gotta say, this "Pretty Chinese Ladies Killing Japanese People" Show isn't half bad. I think it's called Hero Mission or something.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Hey guys, where can I get some good info regarding Hong Kong? The wife and I are gonna spend 4 nights there before we hit Tokyo and the hk thread in the op is archived.

I'd like to know up to date visa specifics and some goon recommeneded sites/things to do. Otherwise I'm left to plain ol google top 10 lists.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

davey4283 posted:

Hey guys, where can I get some good info regarding Hong Kong? The wife and I are gonna spend 4 nights there before we hit Tokyo and the hk thread in the op is archived.

I'd like to know up to date visa specifics and some goon recommeneded sites/things to do. Otherwise I'm left to plain ol google top 10 lists.

Visa specifics? Are you American? If so, just show up. You can stay for 90 days, visa-free.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My personal HK favorites are Bird Garden and Goldfish market, Ocean Park, riding the HK island tram around just to see the view, olds doing tai chi in the park and Ladder Street.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

SB35 posted:

Visa specifics? Are you American? If so, just show up. You can stay for 90 days, visa-free.

Also p much anywhere in Europe, AUS, North America, etc...

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

SB35 posted:

Yea, we're Americans. Probably should have mentioned that. That visa policy is nice especially since that was my biggest concern.

peanut posted:

My personal HK favorites are Bird Garden and Goldfish market, Ocean Park, riding the HK island tram around just to see the view, olds doing tai chi in the park and Ladder Street.

Right on. Are there any recommended temples outside of town that are worth checking out? I was thinking about planning a day trip for one of the days, scenic/historical tour type stuff.

Also if there are any specific districts for nightlife that are must see.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

davey4283 posted:

Yuen Long

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

davey4283 posted:

Lan Kwai Fong if that's your thing

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You'll see better temples in Japan tbh. There's one famous one just off ladder street (I think) but the giant buddha 360 thing is new and fake.

The curse grandmas under the bridge in Causeway Bay were cool.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

peanut posted:

but the giant buddha 360 thing is new and fake.

Yes but the hike is pretty awesome.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010

davey4283 posted:

Yea, we're Americans. Probably should have mentioned that. That visa policy is nice especially since that was my biggest concern.

Right on. Are there any recommended temples outside of town that are worth checking out? I was thinking about planning a day trip for one of the days, scenic/historical tour type stuff.

As a7m2 said Lan Kwai Fong is the main district for clubbing. A lot of it is samey, being a mix between bar and club. Clubs are often $25~ for entry - at least the main ones are. Do you have a preference for any type of music in clubs, or are you looking just to drink?

Here is a market guide on google maps in case you're looking to pick anything up as souvenirs or cheap electronics: https://goo.gl/ascMhE

I can personally recommend Cat Street as being good for picking up standard touristy tat like Bruce Lee posters or communist kitsch.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Literally every single thing you do in Japan will be better than China, so dont do stuff like temples, they are ubiquitous across Eastern Asia.

Do Victoria's Peak and Tai O and take the ferry at night and go see if a dead body turns up at Chungking mansions. And meet up with HK goons if they are around.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Literally every single thing you do in Japan will be better than China, so dont do stuff like temples, they are ubiquitous across Eastern Asia.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess if thats the case then maybe we'll only spend 2 or 3 days in hk instesd of 4 and shoot for 6 or 7 nights in tokyo instead of 5.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Do Victoria's Peak and Tai O and take the ferry at night and go see if a dead body turns up at Chungking mansions. And meet up with HK goons if they are around.

Tbh the temples I went to (in Tokyo) were the same/obsessed with selling you poo poo as the majority of temples in China or HK.

I've been to better temples in China but they were all in like western Sichuan/on top of weird mountains in Henan. I'm guessing weird ones out in the middle of nowhere in Japan might be better too, tho.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think countryside temples are all pretty similar and city temples are all kinda similar, etc. Hong Kong has some pretty different or special things you can do there, like Victoria Harbor I thought was really cool and beautiful, but when it comes to temples and such I'd pass. Hong Kong night life is probably pretty good, I've never done it, but I imagine it's cool and fun.

If I ever make it to hk again, which I would actually really love to, it would be to give caberham a hug and have a beer with simplefish and give lady galaga a high five and try to meet meramjert. I was there for three days and went shopping, Victoria Harbor and Victoria's Peak, Tai O and ate awesome food. And I spent like four hours in an English bookstore and blew way too much money. It was a good time, expensive tho.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I don't have my laptop now but will be back in HK in 2 days. I can post a more detailed post then. Let me ask a few questions:

Have you been to east Asia before? And what specific things do you like to do with your wife? Eat food? City night life stuff right? Oh and most important of all, what's your budget?

Hong Kong and Tokyo can be giant money sinks and Tokyo is a lot more expensive compared to Hong Kong.

For night life and bars the edge of Lan kwai fong and soho are great. There's quite a few neat cocktail bars like bar 001, the shelter, common room and hotel bars like Fenix Peninsula Hotel, Amber Mandarin LandMark.

If you want something more casual try Captain's bar, the globe beer bar, and my favorite TAP in Mong kok. TAP is my best pick because the food is local hipster fusion like Chinese roast pork Cubano sandwich, lap Cheong pate on beer bread.

Tokyo has awesome types of Japanese food but Hong Kong hands down has way more variety like a lot more south East Asian, upscale Italian/French, steakhouses and western food, better curries, and of course goons care about Mexican food so better tacos.

But Japanese food in Tokyo is divine. And the Japanese style bars in Ginza are awesome. Bartenders sperg about ice cube sizes and the way to shake your drink. I have been to Tokyo a bazillion times in my life and I still don't get bored of it. Whereas you can easily zip around HK within a week - I guess the city is smaller and much much easier to get around the city Hong Kong when it comes to cheaper taxis, metro and late night mini buses

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh and just get a octopus card in HK, then go to a convenient store in hk and buy a China Unicom Japan Sakura data SIM card before going to Japan

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

caberham posted:

I don't have my laptop now but will be back in HK in 2 days. I can post a more detailed post then. Let me ask a few questions:

Have you been to east Asia before? And what specific things do you like to do with your wife? Eat food? City night life stuff right? Oh and most important of all, what's your budget?

We have never been to East Asia before. Most likely this will be our single big trip to China and Japan that we'll ever end up taking. We may go a second time in the future, who knows, but I'm not banking on it. We're living in Abu Dhabi right now so while we're here we wanted to knock this trip out especially since we we're making good money and while its on the same continent.

As for our budget, I'm not trying to spend tons of cash but I also don't want money to be the deciding factor in the things we do and see. I figure this is going to be a very memorable trip and any money I spend is essentially an investment. If something is kind of pricey but definitely worth while then we'll probably go for it.

We're down for street food but also nicer restaurants. It doesn't have to be too classy. We're both pretty low key/low maintenance people. Chill bars with live music, usually not dance clubs but if that's the scene we'll go. We try to avoid tourist traps as well unless its an absolute must see staple. Checking out local spots usually works out well for us. I really wanna check out that Bruce Lee statue.

quote:

For night life and bars the edge of Lan kwai fong and soho are great. There's quite a few neat cocktail bars like bar 001, the shelter, common room and hotel bars like Fenix Peninsula Hotel, Amber Mandarin LandMark.

If you want something more casual try Captain's bar, the globe beer bar, and my favorite TAP in Mong kok. TAP is my best pick because the food is local hipster fusion like Chinese roast pork Cubano sandwich, lap Cheong pate on beer bread.

Tokyo has awesome types of Japanese food but Hong Kong hands down has way more variety like a lot more south East Asian, upscale Italian/French, steakhouses and western food, better curries, and of course goons care about Mexican food so better tacos.

Between Abu Dhabi and Dubai, we can pretty much get anything we want here. It would be cool to try some no poo poo authentic Chinese food. Also, the fusion places sound pretty awesome. I'll probably double check your post when we're actually there cause a lot of those bars sound really great. We'll hit up that Lan Kwai Fong area for sure.

Is that also the area we should be looking at for hotels?

quote:

But Japanese food in Tokyo is divine. And the Japanese style bars in Ginza are awesome. Bartenders sperg about ice cube sizes and the way to shake your drink. I have been to Tokyo a bazillion times in my life and I still don't get bored of it.

I really can't wait for Tokyo.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You can hotel anywhere really as long as it's close to an MTR. Cabe will tell you to stay island side and pay extra, I will tell you to stay in the new territories and pay a little less but it's really horses for courses.

Hong Kong can be done in a few days

For temples theres Man Mo in Sheung Wan, Tin Hau in Yau Ma Tei, and the big fucker one in Wong Tai Sin (also nunnery gardens in Diamond Hill)

Food do Tim Ho Wan (dim sum), street food (it's everywhere) esp Gai Dan Zai (sp), also snake soup can be had in Sham Shui Po, turtle soup many places, just look for places with a big brass tea urn and small bowls of black stuff covered with glass lids. You may also like to try some Canto deserts that haven't made it elsewhere because they arent very good like Tong Shui, medlar, and black grass jelly

Plenty of places to go hiking as well,and all the paths are concrete with solid staircases. Also do temple st night market, possibly also lady market in mong kok. Never been to the bird garden but i like the hk botanical and zoological gardens which is free and right next to the Peak Tram, which you should go up. Go on a weekday daytime to avoid crowds, but get a bus down unless you love queues. Also eat at BK on the peak for goons, all BK except airport and Peak have shut down :(

At the peak go right to the top (yes it costs but theres a decent free audio tour of thw view)

Lots of ppl do the Big Buddha (which has its own tale but im not a debbie downer) and if you do take the cable car (down, at least - if u like walkinv u can hike up). But gently caress that. Do watery stilt village (Tai O its called i think) and pink dolphin boat sightseeing and also eat dafu faan with the obscure orange sugar (cold not hot unless u are weird)

Go to TST for the free light show

Take the star ferry

Go on the tram (old one not a new crap one) and just stare at things and take photos for an afternoon, costs 2.3hkd

If you go to a museum dont listen to anyone except me. Go to the coastal defence museum in chai wan. You can even take the tram there! (Its the last stop). gently caress you all coastal defence museum best museum. Ok the others are alright too. Whatever you do check opening times.

Taxis are cheap compared to where im from so get em from and to the airport
Or get the airport express if you must. Bus if you are playing your vacation on hard mode.

But once in HK bus is cheap and easy but tbh if you want a trip of a lifetime see if taxis fit your budget. Red ones go everywhere (lately theyve been dixks and ive had to threaten calling the police cos legally they cant refuse a fare but theyve tried yo tell me they dont go to the obscure places i go cos what fucker would want a cab back from there? Dont be put off by that, itsonly this month that ive had to do that, blame Christmas or summat idk). But red ones go everywhere, green ones do New Territories and blue ones do Lantau island only

Oh speaking of islands you can go to Cheung Chau and rent a bike (MORE TEMPLE GAME to be had there) also pirates and scenery and seafood and poo poo. Get the ferry at Central Piers.Also get beer at the Beer Bay at central piers

I forget when youre coming. If im about pls say hi

E: refuse all off meter cab rides, it means ur gonna get price gouged. This is a problem in lkf and down from the peak. Donr tell a taxi driver where youre going until you are sitting in the back cos then they cant refuse u cos u can just refuse to gwt out. gently caress taxi drivers

It isnt really a widespread problem tho only lately

simplefish fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 22, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What is the deal with that orange sugar anyway

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Wow.. That's a pretty serious breakdown. We'll definitely use this info to plan the trip.

Just booked our flights. We're going over spring break, late March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Every time I've been to Hong Kong I've stayed in Mong Kok and probably will again if I go back. It's one of my favorite places that I've ever been to and the part of Hong Kong I'd guess us foreigners have seen the most pictures of. Just walking around for a few hours and eating all kinds of food (first time I went I found a place that had legit fried ramen and they sat two pretty girls at my table with me about five minutes after I'd been seated, which was unexpected since I'd never been anywhere where they just seat random people at your table. Couldn't find it the next trips though).

I might be forgetting the names but there's bird market, goldfish market, women's market(or is it Women's Street Market, probably neither?), and some really cool night markets all in the same general area.