Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

DoctorOfLawls posted:

How is Batman™: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition?

Generally panned to the point that I--a non-Batman fan that loves the console Arkham games, am opting to skip unless it becomes free for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Anonymous Robot posted:

So, I just bought Ironclad Tactics- been waiting on a sale for that for years- and for some reason I got Spacechem and its DLC as well? It's in my inventory, but not as a gift from anyone or anything.

That's part of the Deluxe Edition.

Relatedly, when the hell did I get Ironclad Tactics? Oh, it was a free week thing.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 19, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DoctorOfLawls posted:

It doesn't have a jump button.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Ehhhh.

I wanted to like it, but it just feels a bit bland and empty. There are some good ideas in there but it never really comes alive.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Shot in the dark, but does it play at all like the side-scrolling Spiderman games on the DS? Because I fell in love with those. :allears:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Anonymous Robot posted:

So, I just bought Ironclad Tactics- been waiting on a sale for that for years- and for some reason I got Spacechem and its DLC as well? It's in my inventory, but not as a gift from anyone or anything.

I've been eyeing that game for a while. Is it worth it? I guess MP is pretty much dead, but how meaty/full of artificial difficulty is the SP?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Morter posted:

Generally panned to the point that I--a non-Batman fan that loves the console Arkham games, am opting to skip unless it becomes free for whatever reason.

Yeah, I love the Arkham games and have put far too much time into playing them, but everything I've seen and heard re: this game means I've never had the slightest interest in picking it up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Morter posted:

Shot in the dark, but does it play at all like the side-scrolling Spiderman games on the DS? Because I fell in love with those. :allears:
I've never played those, so I can't make a comparison.

The problems I had were
- The fighting never really develops. The main Arkham games have a progression in both player abilities and enemy types / numbers, and so end-game fights feel very different from the first ones. There's only a tiny bit of that in Blackgate.
- The levels empty out. Enemies don't come back at all, and the game encourages backtracking and exploration (being a Metroidvania) you end up wandering through empty room after empty room.
- The map is awful. It's hard to describe, but the problems come across very easily when you try and use it, and it's important for secret hunting.
- A few of the boss fights (especially the last one) really, really suck.
- The cutscenes look terrible. You can see they were trying to ape comic-book panels, but it just looks cheap.

It's got a couple of cool boss-fights, and the idea of a Batman Metroidvania is clearly a good one. A sequel could clean up all of the issues, but as it is it's really hard to recommend.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/316950/

tempting

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vanishing of Ethan Carter comes out next week?? Yowza

http://store.steampowered.com/app/258520/?snr=1_4_4__105_2

And a new Sherlock Holmes game not long after, hopefully it'll be better than the lovely-as-gently caress Testament installment

http://store.steampowered.com/app/241260/?snr=1_4_4__105_2

METAL SLUG X

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 19, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

And a new Sherlock Holmes game not long after, hopefully it'll be better than the lovely-as-gently caress Testament installment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYQCQuiPSlk

looks really loving good

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Vanishing of Ethan Carter comes out next week?? Yowza

http://store.steampowered.com/app/258520/?snr=1_4_4__105_2

METAL SLUG X

Just so you know you accidentally linked Sherlock Holmes twice.

METAL SLUG X

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shindragon posted:

Just so you know you accidentally linked Sherlock Holmes twice.

METAL SLUG X

Aw God my ears. What the hell did they do to the music?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That Metal Gear X video is amazing, it's got major slowdown in places and out of sync sound effects and just seems like a gigantic waste of money.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Apparently Metal Slug X is being handled by the same people as Metal Slug 3, which means the same emulation issues that I never personally experience myself but are apparently very widespread. One of those issues being strange shifts in the pitch of game audio, and the music suddenly speeding up and slowing down at random.

Having played Metal Slug 3 on XBLA before I never noticed any of the issues people referred to, but obviously they exist so you might want to play some different release of MSX if you can.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 19, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The simple truth is that if you want to play Metal Slug, you want one of the emulators that overclocks the Neo Geo hardware. It's shocking how much better if feels when it's not haemorrhaging frames every time something happens.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is the weekend publisher deal thing as low as the prices are going to go or will they be featuring a different special discount every day?

Mainly curious about if Scribblenauts Unmasked is gonna get any cheaper or not

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Is the weekend publisher deal thing as low as the prices are going to go or will they be featuring a different special discount every day?

For what it's worth, Steam Enhanced says this is the cheapest Scribblenauts Unmasked has ever been. Same goes for almost everything else in the current sale.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

someone sent me this exciting screenshot

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

FirstAidKite posted:

I noticed recently that publisher catalogue sale events stopped doing promo deals per day and just feature something instead. All the sale prices are what you get.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

corn in the bible posted:

someone sent me this exciting screenshot

The hell is that from?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Having not played the old as hell versions, I thought Testament was pretty decent. What was wrong with it?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

A Bystander posted:

How was getting the very last trading card?

The ones where you have to replay a "dungeon" weren't bad since you can just sprint through them. However, the ones where you have to replay a chapter to get are a bitch simply because they can take forever and you're hoping the whole time that the game doesn't crash (no saving allowed).

The literal very last trading card isn't required for the achievement and it takes about 2mins in a special options menu.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

The literal very last trading card isn't required for the achievement and it takes about 2mins in a special options menu.

It's been a long time since I've done it, but I'm pretty sure the All Achievements Unlocked achievement popped once I got that card and not a moment before.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Azran posted:

I've been eyeing that game for a while. Is it worth it? I guess MP is pretty much dead, but how meaty/full of artificial difficulty is the SP?

I haven't played enough to comment on the SP content's length, and I'm sure MP is dead unless you arrange a match with a friend. I like it, though! It's almost a turn-based Plants Vs Zombies, but if both teams were trying to push units onto the opposite side of the field to score points.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

A Bystander posted:

It's been a long time since I've done it, but I'm pretty sure the All Achievements Unlocked achievement popped once I got that card and not a moment before.

Which is super strange since the achievement actually pops when you finish the quest, not when you get the card. You can only finish the 64 card quest within the game (ie, not in a special main menu). If the 64 card quest is the last achievement you have to solve, then the all achievements...achievement pops at the same time. Nothing additional happened for me when I got the 65th SWERY card.

I know on launch that their achievements were buggy though so who knows.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The hell is that from?
It looks like http://store.steampowered.com/app/294280/

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

So are the early impressions of Elminage pretty positive?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

LibbyM posted:

seem to be as long as you're not that guy it crashes on all the time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

LibbyM posted:

it's wizardry. if you like wizardry, buy it.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Did Steam just crap out for anyone else? I'm unable to access the website or log in on the app.

VVVV: Thanks. There's a tropical storm in the area and I wasn't sure if that was messing with my net.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 19, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

ihatepants posted:

Did Steam just crap out for anyone else? I'm unable to access the website or log in on the app.
I'm having issues too so it's not just you.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

http://issteamdown.com/ posted:

Steam is down.

Guys I think steam is down.

edit: all your games are forfeit, the day has come :aaa:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's Tuesday maintenance noobs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gabe shut it all down once he saw FF13 as the top seller.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Tae posted:

Gabe shut it all down once he saw FF13 as the top seller.

It's being DDOS'd by Sony fanboys angry that FFXIII is coming to PC.

Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn being multi-platform was hard to take, but FFXIII coming to PC has shocked them into action.

Also possible: it's the universe attempting to stop me from purchasing the Secret of the Magic Crystals OST and coloring book.

vvv: Not in the slightest. I like the timing though.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
NVM

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ragequit posted:

Having not played the old as hell versions, I thought Testament was pretty decent. What was wrong with it?
The story was fuckin stupid, the last act became a Saturday morning cartoon, and it felt jumbled in a way that the earlier Frogwares titles didn't. I generally like the Frogwares Sherlock games but Testament was a total slog to get through.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

• Locked thread