Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did just buy two 30th anniversary 8-bit Link amiibo (one to use, one for the office) from my local Walmart on clearance for $6. They also had a bunch of meta knight which I was excited about, but apparently only the Best Buy ones are rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I did just buy two 30th anniversary 8-bit Link amiibo (one to use, one for the office) from my local Walmart on clearance for $6. They also had a bunch of meta knight which I was excited about, but apparently only the Best Buy ones are rare

Yeah I nabbed an 8-bit from my local Fry's just off the shelf. But that's the only Zelda one they had in stock. I had to order an OoT link online, which is supposed to arrive in the mail today.

You win, Nintendo. You got me to buy your dolls.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Is there a way to force Hinoxes to drop their guts when you kill them? Right now I'm swimming in toenails and teeth, but I need guts to upgrade my armor, and they're stubbornly holding onto their innards.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

This is the phase after his spikes - he only does two attacks - throws lightning balls, and teleports up in my face, often with electrified shield and sword so I get shocked if I block/attack him.

Target boss, constantly move back, then press jump around his last teleport before he slashes you to do a backflip, you will get a "perfect dodge" and be able to have at him I can't tell you the exact timing, because my setup is a little different. Just practice dodging at the first phase till you get it right.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DoubleNegative posted:

Is there a way to force Hinoxes to drop their guts when you kill them? Right now I'm swimming in toenails and teeth, but I need guts to upgrade my armor, and they're stubbornly holding onto their innards.

Fight higher tier ones to get better drops, the black ones with two shinguards always drop guts while the red ones don't.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

No, but it really should. Should've been the set bonus for the Climbing Gear outfit.

The equipment description even talks about how it improves grip and stuff :negative:

I don't find rain nearly as aggravating as most people in this thread though. Not only can you find shelter and build a fire to wait it out, but with some clever climbing it isn't a big problem. I bypassed the whole "getting the Zora's Domain" thing by just climbing up the wet cliffs and gliding straight to the city :v: Just gotta put some more effort into the climbing, manage your climbing/jumping and pick good spots where you can reach slopes so that you can recover some stamina. Also upgrade your stamina some.

Speaking of climbing, I noticed one of the loading tips say that you can't climb overhangs and that you'll fall if you try. They clearly changed their mind on this and forgot to remove the tip, because I never found an overhang that couldn't be climbed even if it was sticking way out. In some spots you can even go completely upside down and still hang on!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The breath of the wild amiibo as far as their sculpt and paint job are totally justified in a 4 dollar price increase for figure quality. My smash link and zelda looks sad next to them and their more vibrant colors and better painted eyes and details on clothes.

It's also weird seeing amiibo so hugely out of stock, but they were store rot for so long I'm guessing a lot of people got the vanity dlc for botw for 6 bucks . I was able to nab all the ones I wanted at good retail price at least. I even got smash link for 10 bucks, and Amazon discounts the botw amiibo.

I just buy amiibo I like the looks of as display figures for my desk

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 9, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

The equipment description even talks about how it improves grip and stuff :negative:

I don't find rain nearly as aggravating as most people in this thread though. Not only can you find shelter and build a fire to wait it out, but with some clever climbing it isn't a big problem. I bypassed the whole "getting the Zora's Domain" thing by just climbing up the wet cliffs and gliding straight to the city :v: Just gotta put some more effort into the climbing, manage your climbing/jumping and pick good spots where you can reach slopes so that you can recover some stamina. Also upgrade your stamina some.

Speaking of climbing, I noticed one of the loading tips say that you can't climb overhangs and that you'll fall if you try. They clearly changed their mind on this and forgot to remove the tip, because I never found an overhang that couldn't be climbed even if it was sticking way out. In some spots you can even go completely upside down and still hang on!

Do you still get the cutscenes on the way to Zora's domain if you skip the road? Because if you skipped out on Sidon moments I'm not sure you came out ahead

Also, overhangs have to be seriously overhangy to drop you. Like, 90 degree angle or something. They do exist though

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It's also weird seeing amiibo so hugely out of stock. I was able to nab all the ones I wanted at good retail price at least. I even got smash link for 10 bucks, and Amazon discounts the botw amiibo.

I am envious of you missing out on the smash amiibo rush and not having to sit in line at a best buy the day of dark pit release.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

You will fall off if you go on an overhanh for more than one or two pulls. The game is just super generous about what counts as an overhang and you'll only really run into it if you're climbing ruins as almost every natural surface is fine.

Also for everyone, a trick to climbing in the rain is to learn the timing for when you backslide and immediately do a jump just before that happens. You'll still take the jump backslide but it lets you climb small/medium cliffs in the rain fairly easily.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kashuno posted:

I am envious of you missing out on the smash amiibo rush and not having to sit in line at a best buy the day of dark pit release.

I could probably just walk into my local gamestop and get them. Especially the Smash amiibos. All the older amiibos are on clearance for like $8 there.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I skipped the wii u and 3ds so I only ever saw the huge stocks of them and the pre-owned giant section at gamestop.

Also rider link amiibo looks awful if not creepy and if you buy it you either just really like horses, are desperate for all vanity dlc, or need to stop buying every stupid amiibo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Do you still get the cutscenes on the way to Zora's domain if you skip the road? Because if you skipped out on Sidon moments I'm not sure you came out ahead

I met him first, but I probably missed something by going straight there.

He told me I had to take the long path around because the cliffs were too wet to climb and I can't swim up waterfalls, so I was like "watch this :smuggo:" and climbed right up. He must have been impressed because I think he's my fishboyfriend now???

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Skimming the thread in catchup but holy lol at parrying guardian beams with pot lids. I've got probably more hours than I want to think about spent on this game, but thought that guardians were to be avoided at all costs until you got whatever "plot weapon" to kill them. Then I did but still had grief with them-- ironically less with the mobile ones than stationary, since I could just find some cover and corner hump until they got close enough to hack their legs off. Felt like a loving badass, got enough mats to get the guardian armor and poo poo, and now I find out I could have just been pot lidding them to death since the plateau. :negative:

Seriously though this game is great with the little things, especially with "wrong" shrine puzzle solutions. I hit one last night that involved rolling a ball around a room with fans and having to time it so that it would go over a moving platform-- tried it "for real" twice, said gently caress it, moved the magnetic box to block the route the ball was supposed to take and used it as a backdrop to stasis the ball into.

Also being able to melt ice just by equipping a fire rod and unsheathing it nearby. Fire Rod is probably the most useful "weapon" that I've never used to actually attack with, who needs flint?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I just got the 2nd-level Gerudo heat-resist gear :stare:

Makes a nice change for the guy costume to show even more skin than the girl one!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I could probably just walk into my local gamestop and get them. Especially the Smash amiibos. All the older amiibos are on clearance for like $8 there.

You sure? All my local gamestop were drained, even the big and small ones. I have only seen barren shelves.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

I just got the 2nd-level Gerudo heat-resist gear :stare:

Makes a nice change for the guy costume to show even more skin than the girl one!

The real insult is you can upgrade that set but not the Vai set :colbert:

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 9, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah, and that's also part of the reason I wish there were item quick slots and those were the only items you could use in combat. I wouldn't mind if food was only for out of combat but you could craft healing elixirs to use in-combat, and could only hold a limited number of fairies. It's not a huge deal, I don't think anyone's really playing this game for a serious challenge right now anyway.

I wonder if "no food in combat" will be a change in Hard Mode or something.

Yeah, that and armor switching, so you can't try to sheikah armor sneak up, fail, then switch to soldier and facetank

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

C-SPAN Caller posted:

You sure? All my local gamestop were drained, even the big and small ones. I have only seen barren shelves.

As of last Friday, I could have walked out of there with Waluigi and like 2 different Links if I wanted my girlfriend to make fun of me for a week. It's possible they've been drained by now, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Holy poo poo is this real

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I found the dye shop.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I met him first, but I probably missed something by going straight there.

He told me I had to take the long path around because the cliffs were too wet to climb and I can't swim up waterfalls, so I was like "watch this :smuggo:" and climbed right up. He must have been impressed because I think he's my fishboyfriend now???

Lol I'm Glad we both wanted to show up our shark boy friend since I think I missed some too

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

cheetah7071 posted:

I respect Link's dedication to her fish fetish :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Skimming the thread in catchup but holy lol at parrying guardian beams with pot lids. I've got probably more hours than I want to think about spent on this game, but thought that guardians were to be avoided at all costs until you got whatever "plot weapon" to kill them. Then I did but still had grief with them-- ironically less with the mobile ones than stationary, since I could just find some cover and corner hump until they got close enough to hack their legs off. Felt like a loving badass, got enough mats to get the guardian armor and poo poo, and now I find out I could have just been pot lidding them to death since the plateau. :negative:

Even if you don't want to risk parrying their beams, they're pretty easy to take out if you can nail them in the eye with arrows before they fire. I've only tried with shock arrows but it might work with other kinds. Do that and just beat on them with a strong weapon while they're stunned and you'll take them out no big deal.

Parrying the beams is way more fun, though.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

gently caress now I need to go talk to everyone crossdressing

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

This is the future liberals want.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Legalize gay fish marriage

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

This is the future liberals want.

yes

Harrow posted:

Even if you don't want to risk parrying their beams, they're pretty easy to take out if you can nail them in the eye with arrows before they fire. I've only tried with shock arrows but it might work with other kinds. Do that and just beat on them with a strong weapon while they're stunned and you'll take them out no big deal.

Parrying the beams is way more fun, though.

Yeah I found the guardian arrow's level of, uh, efficacy pretty :stare: but didn't really do much with other arrows -- especially since the only time I felt the need to was when I "ran out of energy" in the middle of a fight and went through a lot of moolah in special arrows to finish the job. I thought that they were just not sanely killable otherwise, but in hindsight I probably just not hitting the eye smack on, not critting/stunning and making it way more hassle than it would be otherwise.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope Zelda is willing to wear a fish costume in bed or her relationship with Link might not work out

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope Zelda is willing to wear a fish costume in bed or her relationship with Link might not work out

lmbo if you think the spirit champions aren't going to be sitting there making peanut gallery comments like in that one memory

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gonna give my horses human names. Randy, ted, Gerald, that sort of stuff.

I have a single horse that I boarded somewhere I can't remember

Earl, I'm sorry I've lost you

I've been exploring everywhere on foot, only really had one stretch where I wished I had a horse. Usually fast traveling and climbing so much I'd leave horses behind anyway

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

I've been exploring everywhere on foot, only really had one stretch where I wished I had a horse. Usually fast traveling and climbing so much I'd leave horses behind anyway

You can get any horse you registered out of any stable. Even if they're across the map.

Useful for the sections of map, like the Northeast or Hyrule Central, that lack convenient mountains to glide from.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Soul Glo posted:

You can retrieve any horse from any stable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am bad

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 9, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Oh, neat, that's way more useful than how I thought it worked.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
BotW should have had a Pocket Card Jockey-style horse eugenics minigame, imo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also, for people who have issues with their wild horses bucking them, just spam 'L' as you ride to soothe them and they'll never be dicks.

Spurring them seems to cause a slight temporary affection loss which the soothing makes up for and means they're as reliable as gentle horses.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I never opened my wolf link amiibo for TPHD but somehow he still has 20 hearts in BotW. Man why did I wait this long to learn about this. Doggo Link is a pretty fun companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

This is like the worst of furry and zelda fanfics combined.

I hope that the next zelda is a moba with crossover steam play. It'll cause a few suicides but drat if it wouldn't make the world a better place.