Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Glad we left, quite frankly *sniffs*

E: gently caress, missed the best page to continue my fascination with binary multiples. Instead: dog blep

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Rarity posted:

Israel are the #2 favourites to win in the betting lmao

this might be because of the “leaked” italian voting numbers which showed israel with a literally unbelievable 40%

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sorry but the best Taskmaster moment was Rhod Gilbert’s creepy video of Greg sleeping. Shortly followed by him hurling a javelin into the caravan while Alex was inside

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So the UN passed a resolution to allow Palestine full membership of UN. But the US vetoed it. I thought a US veto nixed everything? What am I missing? Or have people seen sense & removed veto power from US / UK etc?
(And why do they have veto power anyway?)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

US can veto security council stuff but not general resolutions, iirc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The UN was set up to solidify the power of the victorious nations of the second world war, which is why China, the US, France, Russia, and the UK have permanent memberships on the security council with enhanced veto powers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

smellmycheese posted:

Funnily enough not banning the country that is in the middle of a genocide and whose singer is joining the IDF once the competition is over has turned into a massive loving shitshow. Who could have foreseen this?

turns out culture, even the lowest-brow kind, is... political??

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So the UN passed a resolution to allow Palestine full membership of UN. But the US vetoed it. I thought a US veto nixed everything? What am I missing? Or have people seen sense & removed veto power from US / UK etc?

They won't be members at all, they'll just get a seat in the assembly

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

The UN was set up to solidify the power of the victorious nations of the second world war, which is why China, the US, France, Russia, and the UK have permanent memberships on the security council with enhanced veto powers.

dunno if that's still true after that dude shredded the UN constitution

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

dunno if that's still true after that dude shredded the UN constitution

For those who haven’t seen this particular bit of laughable performative cringe with his itsy bitsy shredder…

https://twitter.com/benjalvarez1/status/1788951063808135550?s=46

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Really feel that anyone who has held any government position in Israel in the past ~20 years should be sent to the Hague and/or gallows.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the israeli ambassador to the uk is quite a treat, and made me realise that oh, this is probably how other countries see our ambassadors

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbh most* of our ambassadors are career civil servants who try and be deferential and uphold an idea of British politeness (fake though that is)

it's countries like (GOP president) America, Israel, Russia, etc. who just pick the cuntiest oval office to ever oval office

*our outliers are dire, yes

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tesseraction posted:

Really feel that anyone who has held any government position in Israel in the past ~20 years should be sent to the Hague and/or gallows.

Careful now, D&D mods will driveby a post like this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Careful now, D&D mods will driveby a post like this.

Don't worry I know the magic words that absolve anyone of any suggestion of antisemitism, even open nazi poo poo:

I support the right of the country of Israel to exist.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm now welcome in the Conservative Party, the GOP, every right-wing party in Europe apart from the Hungarian one, you know the one, and for some reason, the government of Argentina.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

smellmycheese posted:

Lovely evening here. I’m doing Beer Can Chicken

Why is that chicken judging me?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gonzo McFee posted:

David Cameron, Welcome to the Labour Party

While Starmer is welcoming Conservative pricks to Labour, they still have to be kosher to not appear anti-semitic.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

Why is that chicken judging me?

Aviator Chicken judges EVERYONE!!! :c00lbutt:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Go check out the northern lights, people with working eyes. I can't see *dick* but my friends are taking good pics with their phones.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
If you can do manual control of your phone camera you can do long exposure and get some noisy but neat pics.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Crust First posted:

If you can do manual control of your phone camera you can do long exposure and get some noisy but neat pics.

I wouldn't even know where to start pointing it. Others are taking good ones though!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Go check out the northern lights, people with working eyes. I can't see *dick*

tbf that's not readily available outside

bloody public decency laws

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

True! Nanny state innit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can see the big starry plough, but none of Oliver Heaviside's ionospheric display. I blame light pollution.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Went outside to look for aurora but it's too cloudy. Only about 3 stars showing in the whole sky & smell of damp in the air (threat of thunderstorms & flooding tomorrow).
Yet another astronomical phenomenon I don't get to see in real life - thanks, clouds.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Followed suggestion, found camera setting. Have grainy pic of a vague pink-green glow in the sky. Satisfactory.

e: THE MAJESTY OF SPACE

listen my phone camera isn't very good but I assure you the faint greenishness of that bit of the sky is not usually there

e2: hey I think that's Cassiopeia, I can't see the stars any more, lmao

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 11, 2024

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Go check out the northern lights, people with working eyes. I can't see *dick* but my friends are taking good pics with their phones.

Yeah we just went out into the park, it was awesome

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My sister's pics from just outside Luton:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I got a brief glimpse of them, but it's hard to see against the generally light sky.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, my area's too light polluted to see anything.

Thanks, society!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

thanks, clouds.

Thouds

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Thanks, society!

Thociety

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

HopperUK posted:

e2: hey I think that's Cassiopeia, I can't see the stars any more, lmao
W shape? Checks out. We just have clouds over here, I’ll take another look before bed but not hopeful.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
M shape actually

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Microplastics posted:

M shape actually

Cassiopeia is sitting in a chair tied to the pole, so that she is upside down half the year as punishment for hubris

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1789044012025860377?t=K4ez5loPIEoj8Op6wfMHXA&s=19

Genuinely shocked at this. Absolutely amoral in every respect.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

All this tells me is how utterly incredibly drab the British population is when coming up with descriptive one word terms.

Honestly "Bad" when asked to describe a prime minister? What are they? five?

Where's "wanker" or "arsehole"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jesus loving christ