Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

cheesetriangles posted:

Whats the tweet? No way I am clicking it.

A tank running over and goring some protesters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

cheesetriangles posted:

A tank crushing civilians against a metal barricade.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

A tank driving into a crowd and a guy cut in half by the guide rail when the tank swiped it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/aleynazaynmalik/status/754159558688444416

Twitter picture of the soldiers on the bridge surrendering.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

cheesetriangles posted:

An IFV charges into a crowd to get through and literally cuts people in half.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

cheesetriangles posted:

It's the result of someone getting in between a rock (a tank) and a hard place (a guardrail). Very graphic.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Dapper_Swindler posted:

:nms:
https://twitter.com/uumuutarslan/status/754130756574863360

so this happend.

oh god don't click this

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/uumuutarslan/status/754130756574863360

so this happend.

gently caress me :stonk:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How exactly are police getting soldiers in tanks to surrender?

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
That's pretty bad I gotta say.

At least it was a quick way to go.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

SHIIIIIIIIIIIT

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Istanbul seems to be effectively back under government control, Ankara still a question mark although.
Government claims that a Coup helicopter was shot down over Ankara by a government plane.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
when I sit back and think about erdogan and his career, I have to say that guy is a hard as nails motherfucker who took it all the way to the end, it's like, everything and the kitchen sink was thrown at him in terms of challenges to his political journey, even landing in the middle of bombing runs didn't faze the guy. it's over, his grip totally complete at this point such a shame he's probably going to bookend his career by going full autocrat.

If only the Arab world could get a hard motherfucker like that who was democratic. Instead it gets mass murdering rabid rulers instead. gently caress this earth.

watching all those civilians just walk up and successfully arresting those military guys is like watching a wet dream of what if everything went right in the middle east 4 years ago. It happened in Tunisia, shame it couldn't have happened everywhere else. but then again that's what happens when there's literally no civil society and the military is its own tribe.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 16, 2016

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Those monsters. Forcing that poor tank driver to take such desperate action to defend himself from certain death at the hands of the unarmed civilians' shouts and sticks. I can only imagine what terror the helicopter gunship crews were in too.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Eej posted:

Probably, "Your coup has failed, either surrender or we call the air force."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Eej posted:

The armored vehicles are surrounded by hundreds of people and they aren't willing to massacre then to get out + it looks like the coup is falling apart.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I imagine the soldiers are realizing the coup has failed and would rather take whatever sentence they get than die shooting police/protestors.
A lot of them probably imagined themselves saviours of the people during planning and anticipated broad support. This wasn't the reaction they expected.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Eej posted:

I mean, I would let myself be arrested in that situation.

The alternatives are
a) getting murdered by protestors
b) murdering the protestors

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eej posted:

The soldiers in the tanks seem to be surrendering when they're put in a position where they'd have to either surrender or kill civilians. Most of these guys aren't super invested in the coup and aren't willing to kill unarmed people for it.

Of course, that's not the case 100% of the time, as seen in that tweet in the last page.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Al-Saqr posted:

watching all those civilians just walk up and successfully arresting those military guys is like watching a wet dream of what if everything went right in the middle east 4 years ago. It happened in Tunisia, shame it couldn't have happened everywhere else.

I mean, they're lynching the poor bastards in the name of Allah right now, so it's gotten pretty dark.

Holy gently caress don't click that tank video btw. Scarred for life.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

Al-Saqr posted:

when I sit back and think about erdogan and his career, I have to say that guy is a hard as nails motherfucker who took it all the way to the end, it's like, everything and the kitchen sink was thrown at him in terms of challenges to his political journey, even landing in the middle of bombing runs didn't faze the guy. it's over, his grip totally complete at this point such a shame he's probably going to bookend his career by going full autocrat.

If only the Arab world could get a hard motherfucker like that who was democratic. Instead it gets mass murdering rabid rulers instead. gently caress this earth.

watching all those civilians just walk up and successfully arresting those military guys is like watching a wet dream of what if everything went right in the middle east 4 years ago. It happened in Tunisia, shame it couldn't have happened everywhere else.

:agreed:

disjoe posted:

I mean, I would let myself be arrested in that situation.

The alternatives are
a) getting murdered by protestors
b) murdering the protestors

There's always a bullet to the head.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

lamentable dustman posted:

So has there ever been a worse planned coup in modern history before because this one seemed really badly planned, I would think you would want to be able to take the President in hand

Well, pretty much all of the "Soviet Republics" that sprang up across Europe in 1919 were pretty bad. The Bavarian one is my favorite, if only for this guy:

quote:

The government members were not always well-chosen. For instance, the Foreign Affairs Deputy Dr. Franz Lipp (who had been admitted several times to psychiatric hospitals), declared war on Switzerland over the Swiss refusal to lend 60 locomotives to the Republic. He also claimed to be well acquainted with Pope Benedict XV and he informed Vladimir Lenin via cable that the ousted former Minister-President Hoffmann had fled to Bamberg and taken the key to the ministry toilet with him.

Good coup planning can't afford to ignore the crucial bathroom-key national resources.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Eej posted:

Their options are to:

A: surrender to the police, probably get humane treatment and a trial.
B: get overrun by an angry mob, getting the poo poo kicked out of them by people who have seen that twitter link with the tank and the guardrail, probably get killed.
C: shoot a whole lot of civilians.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

:agreed:

Most of them are probably going to get off lightly since they were "just following orders" and all. Nothing that'd make dying the more preferable option, anyway. It's the officers behind the coup whose heads are going to roll.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

You must have seen someone work a meat slicer at the local deli before?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

True. I didn't mention that one because that option is common to all of life's challenges.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Eej posted:

Then there's also this: https://twitter.com/IndiaTodayFLASH/status/754160279525531648

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Erdogan is gonna autocrat even harder now. Sorry Turkey :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

disjoe posted:

True. I didn't mention that one because that option is common to all of life's challenges.

Not the abolition of the Second Amendment :v:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Aww sad the coup failed and a bunch of people got killed for no reason.

Now their state is REALLY going to turn into a dictatorship.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
So after this, they're changing the name of the country to Erdogistan, right?

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Stereotype posted:

Aww sad the coup failed and a bunch of people got killed for no reason.

Now their state is REALLY going to turn into a dictatorship.

Establishing a military junta is the best way to avoid dictatorship.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
no, erdogan is making himself sultan and remaking the ottoman empire, starting with taking back syria

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It's pretty amazing how even the enemies of Erdoğan refused to endorse the coup. It gives me hope that this won't be used as an excuse by Erdoğan to consolidate power.

Not much hope but still.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

ugh, i have a feeling this will somehow be even worse when i wake up in the morning. but i'm just too tired to watch anymore.

Nice was bad, but Turkey is making me sleepy.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

Celexi posted:

no, erdogan is making himself sultan and remaking the ottoman empire, starting with taking back syria

poo poo, I forgot, weren't there reports of a great deal of celebration going on in Syria when poo poo was going down?

I wonder if Erdogan has a mental list of how everyone reacted to the coup, or if he's so paranoid that he now thinks everyone is against him.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Eej posted:

Tanks are not very effective without infantry to protect them.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
What's the situation in Ankara

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

It's pretty amazing how even the enemies of Erdoğan refused to endorse the coup. It gives me hope that this won't be used as an excuse by Erdoğan to consolidate power.

Not much hope but still.

Parliament should have rallied the loyalist forces while Erdoğan was in hiding. That might have reduced his power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Why does anyone want Syria anymore? It's likely to become essentially uninhabitable within our lifetime thanks to global warming, the entire nation has been torn to shreds, and the remaining populace will remain bitterly divided and mostly ungovernable.

• Locked thread