Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tikifire posted:

Exactly. Generations should've ejected the TOS stuff altogether and focused on a good story featuring the TNG crew. Instead you get this weird movie that can't figure out what its about or what it wants to be even.

The movie is about "sometimes things come to a disappointing, unceremonious end" which is of course unintentionally appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seriously with that sign-off line (a Peter Pan reference) basically being a restatement of "I feel ... young" I'm surprised I hadn't realized that basically all the good Trek movies weren't necessarily just the even-numbered ones, they were the ones involving Nick Meyer. He had a story to tell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't think those guys were interested in doing literally just cameos after such a strong ending to their story, and I can't say I blame them.

They weren't. Kelley had no interest in showing up for an empty cameo and once Nimoy was told he would get no creative input, he had no desire to just come to work, say a few lines and call it a day after getting such a strong sendoff a few years earlier (and having his own "bridging the generations" moment that same year with Unification).

Tikifire posted:

Exactly. Generations should've ejected the TOS stuff altogether and focused on a good story featuring the TNG crew. Instead you get this weird movie that can't figure out what its about or what it wants to be even.

You can blame Paramount for that. "Kirk and Picard have to meet" was their first mandate the minute the decision was made to end TNG and move the cast to movies.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Timby posted:

They weren't. Kelley had no interest in showing up for an empty cameo and once Nimoy was told he would get no creative input, he had no desire to just come to work, say a few lines and call it a day after getting such a strong sendoff a few years earlier (and having his own "bridging the generations" moment that same year with Unification).

You can blame Paramount for that. "Kirk and Picard have to meet" was their first mandate the minute the decision was made to end TNG and move the cast to movies.

I will say that one thing the JJ Abrams team seemed to be smart about was knowing how to give Nimoy a chunk of story if they wanted him to show up

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I mean Gene's "waves of cum" fantasies aren't all that different from anything Heinlein wrote in the 70s

Sci fi was different then

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Timby posted:

There were many ways to have them meet in a movie and still focus said movie on the TNG crew. Hell, have the TNG crew do the whole time travel thing and go back and meet Kirk. What we got was essentially terrible. Say what you want about how bad STV is, but at least there was a story there.

Instead we get one of the better character actors of our time wasted on a villain whose motivation was essentially "I want to feel good again" and Kirk dying on a barren rock for no real reason.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'm watching DS9 in order and holy poo poo I forgot how creepy Bashir was in the beginning. If I were Dax I'd be screaming for security every five minutes. You just know he's got cameras in her quarters, just watching her pee..

Keiko sucks. Here she is in a station where she can study new plants from the wormhole and maybe make the ugly station into a awesome floating space park or help the stupid Bajorans grow food but all she does is bitch. She could easily become a famous, well respected scientist and humanitarian or whatever but nope, better get into fights with Miles in public.

I understand before the wormhole because there'd be nothing for her to really do except help Bajor and, ugh but after? What's her problem, she's sitting on a goldmine of that "we don't need money, we live to learn and explore" philosophy that Star Trek is all about and all Keiko does is scream at her overworked husband.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
So having shown my other half what I thought were ten episodes of TOS which I thought were either superb or 'important', I decided to show her a bit of TNG and started with Measure of a Man, as being a philosophy grad I thought it'd be well up her street. She absolutely loved it and declared it the best Star Trek she'd ever seen (in fairness besides those ten episodes she's only seen Abramstrek).

I'd now like to show her similar episodes of TNG. I've got a feeling she'll like TNG a lot so I want to show her substantially more but she's not a big one for binge watching TV and we can usually only get through an episode of something before she wants to do something else so I don't want to try to show her the entire series or we'll never get through it.

I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to show her Encounter to Farpoint just so she can get a better grip on the characters and be introduced to Q and so I can explain why Season 1 is terrible. I was also thinking of showing her Q Who and the Worf episodes from Season 2 as I think she'd dig those. I don't think she'd dig Conspiracy much as she's not really into body horror or conspiracy stuff. From season 3 onwards I've got a pretty good grip on TNG episodes and whether they're good or bad, but season 1 and 2 I'm less clear on as I've watched them far less. Are there any especially good or interesting (worldbuilding, or especially so bad its good, qualify) episodes I should show her from Season 1 and 2 besides those?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah briefly. Ron Moore agrees with Nimoy now, but at the time Nimoy sounded like a bit of an rear end. Most of the TOS cast they asked to come back assumed they'd have a featured role in the movie and that's why most of them passed. Even Doohan says he only appeared for the paycheck. I take the TNG side on this, I don't think Moore and Berman were being unreasonable during the writing and negotiation. It's the first TNG movie, why would the entire TOS cast feel entitled to featured roles?

I don't think the TOS cast was unreasonable. They were offered roles, they didn't like what was offered and turned them down. The TNG guys didn't want to be turned down? They shouldn't have made the offer.

They shouldn't have had the TOS cast in the movie anyway. It's just way too clunky, especially when they already struggled to give their existing TNG cast (outside of Stewart and Spiner) enough to do. And as already said, TUC was already a grand sendoff.

Timby posted:

Fifty-Year Mission has Berman claiming that was his idea, not a studio mandate.

Also the funny thing is that while the interviews have people saying "yeah, well, Hurley's script wasn't coming together as well", Hurley's pitch sounds a lot more compelling than what we got in Generations.

Also, man, Brent Spiner was not a fan of Michael Piller.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tikifire posted:

There were many ways to have them meet in a movie and still focus said movie on the TNG crew. Hell, have the TNG crew do the whole time travel thing and go back and meet Kirk. What we got was essentially terrible. Say what you want about how bad STV is, but at least there was a story there.

Instead we get one of the better character actors of our time wasted on a villain whose motivation was essentially "I want to feel good again" and Kirk dying on a barren rock for no real reason.

Soren lost his entire family, his home, and most of his species. The Nexus can bring all that back. Summing up his motivation as "I want to feel good again" is an extreme understatement. And Kirk died saving an entire world and the Enterprise-D crew. It's a fine death, the problem lies in how we never actually see the world that's saved. The movie never gives you a reason to care about it.

Generations has issues, but it's a gorgeous movie and I'll take it over boring pedestrian poo poo like Insurrection anyday. Insurrection is embarrassing in how it was obviously a vanity project for the main cast. Stewart gets to shoot and gently caress like he'd been begging for for years, Frakes gets to direct, and Spiner gets an utterly pointless "Data doesn't understand childhood" subplot that lets him showcase how funny he thinks he is. It's boring.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lipset and Rock On posted:

So having shown my other half what I thought were ten episodes of TOS which I thought were either superb or 'important', I decided to show her a bit of TNG and started with Measure of a Man, as being a philosophy grad I thought it'd be well up her street. She absolutely loved it and declared it the best Star Trek she'd ever seen (in fairness besides those ten episodes she's only seen Abramstrek).

I'd now like to show her similar episodes of TNG. I've got a feeling she'll like TNG a lot so I want to show her substantially more but she's not a big one for binge watching TV and we can usually only get through an episode of something before she wants to do something else so I don't want to try to show her the entire series or we'll never get through it.

I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to show her Encounter to Farpoint just so she can get a better grip on the characters and be introduced to Q and so I can explain why Season 1 is terrible. I was also thinking of showing her Q Who and the Worf episodes from Season 2 as I think she'd dig those. I don't think she'd dig Conspiracy much as she's not really into body horror or conspiracy stuff. From season 3 onwards I've got a pretty good grip on TNG episodes and whether they're good or bad, but season 1 and 2 I'm less clear on as I've watched them far less. Are there any especially good or interesting (worldbuilding, or especially so bad its good, qualify) episodes I should show her from Season 1 and 2 besides those?

I think showing someone Farpoint isn't actually going to be helpful in "oh hey here are the characters" because there's a big difference in how those characters are played and written on the first episode and later on in the series.

also, showing an episode with the intent of "so I can explain why Season 1 is terrible" just sounds incredibly goony. What you might do is just run the episode and let your other half form her own opinions about it. One of my friends binged TNG for a few months from the beginning, having not seen it for years, and she liked the first couple of seasons.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think the TOS cast was unreasonable. They were offered roles, they didn't like what was offered and turned them down. The TNG guys didn't want to be turned down? They shouldn't have made the offer.

They shouldn't have had the TOS cast in the movie anyway. It's just way too clunky, especially when they already struggled to give their existing TNG cast (outside of Stewart and Spiner) enough to do. And as already said, TUC was already a grand sendoff.

Fifty-Year Mission has Berman claiming that was his idea, not a studio mandate.

Also the funny thing is that while the interviews have people saying "yeah, well, Hurley's script wasn't coming together as well", Hurley's pitch sounds a lot more compelling than what we got in Generations.

Also, man, Brent Spiner was not a fan of Michael Piller.

Doohan is bluntly cavalier about doing things for paychecks alone, and doing tricks like getting paid double for TAS episodes because he did four voices on some of them. Some of his comments make his dislike of Shatner ring a bit hollow. But he's really dry on assessing things, he'll just outright say if it was good, OK, or the drizzling shits.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Soren lost his entire family, his home, and most of his species. The Nexus can bring all that back. Summing up his motivation as "I want to feel good again" is an extreme understatement. And Kirk died saving an entire world and the Enterprise-D crew. It's a fine death, the problem lies in how we never actually see the world that's saved. The movie never gives you a reason to care about it.

Generations has issues, but it's a gorgeous movie and I'll take it over boring pedestrian poo poo like Insurrection anyday. Insurrection is embarrassing in how it was obviously a vanity project for the main cast. Stewart gets to shoot and gently caress like he'd been begging for for years, Frakes gets to direct, and Spiner gets an utterly pointless "Data doesn't understand childhood" subplot that lets him showcase how funny he thinks he is. It's boring.

Meh, he could always hang with Guinan. Weren't they supposed to be the same species?

The one good thing Generations has going for it was the cinematography, that is true.

Insurrection is so forgettable that unless I watch it every once in a while, I tend to forget whole parts of it.

Generations while kind of pointless, and First Contact, while too much of an action movie, have some unforgettable moments in them at least.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tikifire posted:

I heard a rumor that one of the early drafts of Generations featured some kind of creature aboard the D that's attacks crew members and it turns out that its Kirk thats trapped in some kind of crazy space thing that has turned him into the monster, but they free him and then suddenly Kirk is in the 25th century. And the entity that is responsible for Kirk being sent into the future shows up and Kirk and Picard need to work together, using Kirk and Picards skills to defeat him.

Oh and I feel Beyond is the best Trek movie to give every member of the crew something to do. Every single major character has a purpose, has a key scene, there's good pairings in McCoy and Spock, but also a really fantastic pairing in Kirk and Chekov, which is great to see with Yelchin's death. Sulu and Uhura as the leaders of the crew captured is also great, and gotta give it to Pegg to not write the hot alien babe to not totally be into Scotty.

Speaking of Jaylen, I keep forgetting that she's played by the same woman who was the henchmen in Kingsmen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stewart gets to shoot and gently caress like he'd been begging for for years

Some of us spent the late 80s and early 90s getting laid, Smith.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lipset and Rock On posted:

Elementary, Dear Data is probably a good intro to holodeck misadventures, and it sets up Moriarty for Ship in a Bottle which I figure you'll want to show her anyway if she liked Measure of a Man so much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Measure of a Man always makes me laugh like a 14 year old. Yar took Data's measure of a man if you know what I mean :quagmire:

Joking aside, Measure of a Man is one of the best episode in the first two seasons. Riker in particular comes across extremely well, showing a conflict between him doing his duty and trying not to betray a friend, even thought that is essentially his duty.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Insurrection is embarrassing in how it was obviously a vanity project for the main cast. Stewart gets to shoot and gently caress like he'd been begging for for years, Frakes gets to direct, and Spiner gets an utterly pointless "Data doesn't understand childhood" subplot that lets him showcase how funny he thinks he is. It's boring.

Yeah, Insurrection and Nemesis are exhibits 1 and 1A as to why you don't let the actors have creative control over the script. Insurrection was probably doomed from the start because Piller had just lost the plot by then (the story outlines that are in Fade In are just unbelievably terrible), but it didn't help that Stewart couldn't make up his mind about what he wanted: "Picard has to have a love story but he has to have action beats but he can't be too macho but he can't just fall in love with some rando but there isn't enough romance in this script wait where'd the action go hold on this romance doesn't feel earned wait this is Star Trek why is there so much action."

And Frakes' direction is remarkably similar to Nimoy's: Very sterile, very static. The cast loved working with him because he knew them and he got everything done quickly and everyone got to go home early (same as Nimoy), but a casual work environment doesn't always translate to a good movie. People aren't afraid to mince words and say that Nick Meyer was an absolute pill of a director sometimes, but he generally got results even if it took some blood, sweat and tears to get there.

I will say that I would have been interested to see what Nimoy's direction on III and IV would have been like had he been sober.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah briefly. Ron Moore agrees with Nimoy now, but at the time Nimoy sounded like a bit of an rear end.

Nimoy kind of had that prickly attitude sometimes. He infamously hated Roddenberry, he had no kind words to say about Freiberger, he stopped being on speaking terms with Harve Bennett during the production of IV, and he and Meyer had all their blowups during pre-production and production on Undiscovered Country. I'm sure he always meant well, but he did tend to have a lot of messy relationships with, if not the cast, a decent number of people behind the scenes.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 9, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The bit where Picard and his love interest have that "I've always preferred older women" / "I've always been attracted to bald men" exchange is pretty cringeworthy.

Why didn't Beyond do so well? I haven't seen it but understand it was a bit of a flop compared to its predecessors despite having a better reception than Into Darkness. Was it direct competition from other movies or some other factors?

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of Jaylen, I keep forgetting that she's played by the same woman who was the henchmen in Kingsmen.

Soon to be a star (?) of the Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe (!) when she plays the Mummy.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 9, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mainstream doens't give a poo poo about Star Trek. The first two JJ movies won out because they were discount Star Wars, but now Star Wars movies are back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why didn't Beyond do so well? I haven't seen it but understand it was a bit of a flop compared to its predecessors despite having a better reception than Into Darkness. Was it direct competition from other movies or some other factors?

The marketing campaign was horrific (Paramount didn't start promoting it in earnest until about a month out from release), and in their infinite wisdom, they decided to release it in the middle of an incredibly packed summer instead of pushing it to later in the year.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Nimoy kind of had that prickly attitude sometimes. He infamously hated Roddenberry, he had no kind words to say about Freiberger, he stopped being on speaking terms with Harve Bennett during the production of IV, and he and Meyer had all their blowups during pre-production and production on Undiscovered Country. I'm sure he always meant well, but he did tend to have a lot of messy relationships with, if not the cast, a decent number of people behind the scenes.

Nimoy loathing Roddenberry made perfect sense, given how Roddenberry tried to screw him and his cast-mates over so many times.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The bit where Picard and his love interest have that "I've always preferred older women" / "I've always been attracted to bald men" exchange is pretty cringeworthy.

Especially when Picard's love interests got younger and younger as TNG progressed. :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedHate posted:

Mainstream doens't give a poo poo about Star Trek. The first two JJ movies won out because they were discount Star Wars, but now Star Wars movies are back.

It's weird to me how Abrams stuck around to direct two Star Trek movies but only directed one Star Wars, when my impression was that his big thing was wanting to do Star Wars. Did Disney not want him for more than one, or did he not want to stick around for more than one?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Soon to be a star (?) of the Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe (!) when she plays the tiniest Mummy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's weird to me how Abrams stuck around to direct two Star Trek movies but only directed one Star Wars, when my impression was that his big thing was wanting to do Star Wars. Did Disney not want him for more than one, or did he not want to stick around for more than one?

Abrams is rather well known for only committing to one project at a time -- this is one of the reasons it took four years to get Into Darkness out, because he was first focused on Super 8 and refused to decide one way or the other on a Star Trek sequel until he was done with that -- and beyond that, by all accounts he had a pretty terrible time getting The Force Awakens finished (the post-production process was absolute hell, because Bob Iger insisted on the movie being released in calendar 2015, while Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy were basically on their knees begging to push it to May 2016).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

The marketing campaign was horrific (Paramount didn't start promoting it in earnest until about a month out from release), and in their infinite wisdom, they decided to release it in the middle of an incredibly packed summer instead of pushing it to later in the year.

I'm just looking at the "2016 in film" page on Wikipedia and it looks like the biggest movie the week of its release would've been Ice Age, the biggest the week before would've been Ghostbusters, the biggest the week after would have been the newest Bourne movie, and then a fortnight later was Suicide Squad. I suppose stuff from earlier in the year was still out, but it doesn't seem like as much of a "UHF vs everything" situation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Another big Insurrection problem is how it can't seem to figure out if it wants to be a Fountain of Youth/Growing Older or a "US treatment of Native Americans" allusion. It never fully commits to either and then you have that extended action bit where they're evacuating and running from the transport drones that completely derails the planetside story. Instead of a Star Trek movie, you have "The TNG cast on vacation in Ventura County".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah I never thought about that, but I could see Insurrection being shot close to LA so everyone can go home at the end of the day. The twist with the bad guys was pretty decent and Abraham is doing his best with a sub par script, and the movie is pretty enjoyable in its humorous moments, but over all its just kind of just okay at best.

Something I always wanted to see was a TNG movie deal with something that was actually a plot thread from a TOS episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that distracted me about that movie is how F. Murray Abraham has this really ostentatious-looking gold-trimmed red velvet chair in the middle of his bridge and it looks really out of place.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

I don't think either of those things would have made that much difference. They probably made a good call by not dumping as much money into marketing as the prior film because the return on that investment would likely have not been earned back in ticket sales. They also might have been expecting CBS to keep interest in Star Trek active due to the 50th anniversary, but CBS pretty much said "gently caress it" and did poo poo.

It simply isn't a tent-pole franchise and Hollywood doesn't make moderately priced movies anymore that turn a small profit. It's either tent-pole shoot for the sky or shoestring indy stuff.

Paramount should have kept the franchise dormant on the big picture and CBS should have went all out with a prestige drama on Showtime. Star Trek just isn't suited for current Hollywood.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

Hah I never thought about that, but I could see Insurrection being shot close to LA so everyone can go home at the end of the day. The twist with the bad guys was pretty decent and Abraham is doing his best with a sub par script, and the movie is pretty enjoyable in its humorous moments, but over all its just kind of just okay at best.

The old adage is that if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage, and while I don't necessarily think that's always true (say what you will about Trek V's script, but the cinematography, score and Shatner's direction, plus Luckinbill's performance, are all top-notch, and the overall technical merits and the great casting certainly make Into Darkness better than the sum of its parts), it's certainly the case with Insurrection. I wish someone had had the presence of mind to say, "Look, Patrick's being Patrick, Brent and Jonathan are ballooning at Warp 6, God knows how much longer we can keep making these. Piller, look, thanks for your effort but this just isn't working and we need to go back to the drawing board."

That's the weird thing about the TNG films -- after Generations, they all had their pre-ordained creative teams. With The Wrath of Khan, Paramount tossed out treatments and scripts from more than a half-dozen writers before Meyer came in and made his script gumbo from all the past attempts. On The Voyage Home, they had an entire script from Steve Meerson and Peter Krikes that was completely thrown out so Bennett and Meyer could rewrite it. Shatner badly wanted Eric Van Lustbader to write The Final Frontier, but after it wasn't working out, they parted ways and went with Loughery after Meyer turned him down due to exhaustion. Hell, Frank Mancuso even solicited Koenig to submit a story for Star Trek VI during that vacuum between Harve Bennett quitting and Nimoy stepping in to shepherd it.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 9, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

empty sea posted:

I'm watching DS9 in order and holy poo poo I forgot how creepy Bashir was in the beginning. If I were Dax I'd be screaming for security every five minutes. You just know he's got cameras in her quarters, just watching her pee..

Well yeah except Dax literally just got done living inside a host who was ten times the womanizer Bashir is. Maybe Jadzia would be creeped out, but Jadzia Dax thinks it's hilarious.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 9, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

It's too bad Babylon 5 isn't on Netflix. I'd really love to watch it again. I don't think I've seen an episode since the early 2000s.

The season sets aren't too expensive; we just had to replace season 2 due to some scratched discs and it was only like $18 on Amazon. I think I paid like $80/season when it first came out. Even then, it was totally worth it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing that distracted me about that movie is how F. Murray Abraham has this really ostentatious-looking gold-trimmed red velvet chair in the middle of his bridge and it looks really out of place.

I think it fits, him being this Trump like leader who demands to show wealth and prestige at every opportunity. I like how after the Enterprise disables the ships life support the bridge crew are all sitting on it behind Worf like kids about to be scolded.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The season sets aren't too expensive; we just had to replace season 2 due to some scratched discs and it was only like $18 on Amazon. I think I paid like $80/season when it first came out. Even then, it was totally worth it.

Cool, maybe next time Amazon has a sale I can get them for cheap, though i'd rather have them on BluRay because i am trying to avoid buying more DVDs. I managed to cut nearly 600 to just over 100.

Timby posted:

The old adage is that if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage, and while I don't necessarily think that's always true (say what you will about Trek V's script, but the cinematography, score and Shatner's direction, plus Luckinbill's performance, are all top-notch, and the overall technical merits and the great casting certainly make Into Darkness better than the sum of its parts), it's certainly the case with Insurrection. I wish someone had had the presence of mind to say, "Look, Patrick's being Patrick, Brent and Jonathan are ballooning at Warp 6, God knows how much longer we can keep making these. Piller, look, thanks for your effort but this just isn't working and we need to go back to the drawing board."

That's the weird thing about the TNG films -- after Generations, they all had their pre-ordained creative teams. With The Wrath of Khan, Paramount tossed out treatments and scripts from more than a half-dozen writers before Meyer came in and made his script gumbo from all the past attempts. On The Voyage Home, they had an entire script from Steve Meerson and Peter Krikes that was completely thrown out so Bennett and Meyer could rewrite it. Shatner badly wanted Eric Van Lustbader to write The Final Frontier, but after it wasn't working out, they parted ways and went with Loughery after Meyer turned him down due to exhaustion. Hell, Frank Mancuso even solicited Koenig to submit a story for Star Trek VI during that vacuum between Harve Bennett quitting and Nimoy stepping in to shepherd it.

I feel like that is more about how movies are being made not rather than anything else. They had put all this money into preproduction so they're drat well going to produce a movie. They paid a half million to a guy to write a script, and it's hard for them to reject it because that would mean the money was wasted. The funny thing is for all it's faults Insurrection is still a million times better than Nemesis. It's just such a silly, pointless movie that tries to have these grand moments that fall flat. Before it came out there was much talk about how it explored the friendship between Picard and Data. What friendship? There was never any real deep connection between the two in the show. Are you talking about Picard going solo to rescue Data at the end of First Contact? The Wedding could have been a good way to send off the crew on their last mission, but for some reason they insisted on making it about Data singing yet another old song that no ones cared about for 60 years. Again it's that thing where the Trek writers are all turbo nerds and have no idea what high class stuff actually is so they just assume that anything old is classy, and smart people only like classy things. It's funny, Riker liking jazz is kind of shorthand for showing he's rougher, more down to earth than the rest of the officers who listen to Mozart and Beethoven. Same with Tom Paris, him liking stuff from the 1950s shows that he's a rebel, that doesn't follow the rules. I will never know why this bit of Trek culture is so stuck in my rear end, but it is and always will be. At least TOS just had space hippy music that was just based on music of the time. Though that makes me think if they had done that with TNG they would have had futuristic versions of late 80s/early 90s pop which would have been really really bad. At least it's generic, but at least good, not like that new age background music they used in early seasons. I swear the only instrument used in those seasons was chimes. Or at least the chimes setting on a casio.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Timby posted:

If I had to take a guess, I'd bet that with the overabundance of Star Trek in the 90's with no end in sight, there wasn't as much healthy fear of failure going around during the TNG movies. I mean, if Star Trek II tanked, that probably would have ended Star Trek. Around the time of Insurrection, I'd wager everyone probably felt overly secure that they'd have another at-bat if they delivered a turd.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

twistedmentat posted:

Before it came out there was much talk about how it explored the friendship between Picard and Data. What friendship? There was never any real deep connection between the two in the show. Are you talking about Picard going solo to rescue Data at the end of First Contact?

What? Picard is the most important person involved in Data's search for humanity throughout TNG. Granted it is a very different friendship than the one with Geordi for example but there is an abundance of episodes that indicate that Picard is a powerful mentor for Data.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

Are you referring to the outdoors stuff on Insurrection? They shot in Alaska.

Edit: wait, am I thinking of Nemesis? I might be wrong here.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 9, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Especially when Picard's love interests got younger and younger as TNG progressed. :v:

True to life I guess.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
With regards to Discovery, I just hope that at some point during the show, someone experiences Bij.

Real, live Bij.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Well yeah except Dax literally just got done living inside a host who was ten times the womanizer Bashir is. Maybe Jadzia would be creeped out, but Jadzia Dax thinks it's hilarious.

This was always my take on it. Jadzia Dax knows what's up, and more importantly knows that Bashir is genuinely interested in her and so isn't offended.