Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Who's a good option for Mementos confusing 'round level 50~60? I don't think I've run into any Personas with Confuse Up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Who's a good option for Mementos confusing 'round level 50~60? I don't think I've run into any Personas with Confuse Up.
you don't need confuse up to do it, anyone who's vulnerable to confuse will usually be hit by either ann or the protag's pulinpa.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Scrap Dragon posted:

Give me P5 on the Switch with Tokyo Mirage Sessions outfits

yes, please. in fact just give me a TMS/P5 bundle on the switch, I'd gladly pay for both of those again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway they should make a super robot wars game but with smt characters

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They should kill the SMT series and make only that fantasy game Hashino wants to make

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

OneDeadman posted:

TMS but instead it's about Stage Actors
goro is already dressed for this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moltrey posted:

goro is already dressed for this

was

I actually won that one battle without having saved after two or three prior minibosses. Holy poo poo, that was a loving rush.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Baal posted:

They should kill the SMT series and make only that fantasy game Hashino wants to make

the extremely futurama "why not both" meme

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

was

I actually won that one battle without having saved after two or three prior minibosses. Holy poo poo, that was a loving rush.

Same.

Is it scripted that one of your party members will eat his specially-named killshot right at the end? It feels thematically appropriate. If not, I feel extremely lucky.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Trick Question posted:

Same.

Is it scripted that one of your party members will eat his specially-named killshot right at the end? It feels thematically appropriate. If not, I feel extremely lucky.

Nope, that isn't scripted.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

was

I did the entire dungeon in one go and I was losing my goddamn mind at the end. I managed, cost me a soma, but boy howdy, one-shotting that dungeon and all of those bosses, then to get sucker punched by that poo poo at the end...felt good to pull it off, and without swapping out any party members.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hmm, i COULD summon Mada and chump on the entire game, or I can save up my money to hang out with a dirty hippy. Dirty hippy it is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i kind of hate morgana. "we aren't going to do that today" over and over again for no apparent reason. why the heck is this cat giving orders about daily life?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow man plot poo poo and just forgetting conviently left my Ryuji link at 6, which is great, since his 7 ability sounds loving horrible

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Wow man plot poo poo and just forgetting conviently left my Ryuji link at 6, which is great, since his 7 ability sounds loving horrible

It's not though? If you're strong enough to instantly wipe out a random shadow on the field, you're not getting anything substantial from them in the first place.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I did the entire dungeon in one go and I was losing my goddamn mind at the end. I managed, cost me a soma, but boy howdy, one-shotting that dungeon and all of those bosses, then to get sucker punched by that poo poo at the end...felt good to pull it off, and without swapping out any party members.

I did it in one go as well, still had plenty of SP recovery items left, but I did swap party members around and had adhesives for all which went a long way. I also got blindsided on that fight, so if I want to do it again I gotta do the minibosses again. I probably will eventually, it's worth it. I managed to survive the killshot, but that was with max defense buffs and attack down on the boss, and tetrakarn/makarakarn up since I was being super defensive, AND I was guarding and it still did 300 hp and change damage. I was really hoping it would reflect and kill the boss too, would've been fun. I definitely had some clutch times when endure or a party member would save me, though I got a handle on things on hard well enough that it was pretty rare. More often final guard would kick in toward the end and save a party member. I really like that endure lets you live with 1 hp on instant kill stuff, that saved me lots of suffering for my party members.

Just wrapped the game up, plenty of healing items left lying around as I expected. Now that I see just how much you get to carry over to NG+ I'm definitely going to do a second playthrough, though probably just on hard again. Merciless just seems like a push towards making you grind non-stop, I'd rather break the game a bit with various confidant abilties while not having to grovel with low money. I'd be okay with low exp gain, that'd be a proper challenge, but reduced money is a bit too much suffering for me, especially when I want to hit 100% on persona compendium this time.

I can't quite go as far as the lowest difficulty and just cheesing my way through with super high exp/money gain and easy fights, but another hard run with slightly less suffering and actually using items instead of hoarding them sounds good to me.

Obviously the game gets a strong recommendation from me, best in the Persona series to me and the best JRPG I've played in a long time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

It's great. You get next to nothing from shadows 10 levels lower than you anyway, and you still get masks out of the deal.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That number cannot be ten levels lower, I was getting instakills in my first run of Madarame's Palace and I was like Lv.15 or something

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Moltrey posted:

That number cannot be ten levels lower, I was getting instakills in my first run of Madarame's Palace and I was like Lv.15 or something

Its 7 levels.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i kind of hate morgana. "we aren't going to do that today" over and over again for no apparent reason. why the heck is this cat giving orders about daily life?

See, but you're a lazy jackass before you get Morgana and don't do anything in the evenings at all. So, obviously the only reason the protag isn't sleeping 15 hours a day is because the cat is prodding him to go outside.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Oh whew, I went to start with my clear data and after changing languages in the settings menu to japanese I kept getting English, but you just have to toggle it from the save menu. Got real worried there for a minute!

Any suggestions about what I should name my character and thieves' group this time around? First game I went with Shinsuke Nakamure and Bullet Club.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Oh whew, I went to start with my clear data and after changing languages in the settings menu to japanese I kept getting English, but you just have to toggle it from the save menu. Got real worried there for a minute!

Any suggestions about what I should name my character and thieves' group this time around? First game I went with Shinsuke Nakamure and Bullet Club.

Nakamura isn't a member of the Bullet Club!!!!!

The Thieves are really more like Los Ingobernables anyway, so there's my suggestion.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I was down to naming the protag either Kotaro Fuma or Ishikawa Goemon, and I'm glad I didn't do Goemon bc it would've been awkward to share a name w/ my friend's persona

IIRC there's a class question about Fuma tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

give your protagonist a korean name so that this game can address REAL japanese social issues

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Name Joker something like "Seymour Butts" which is what he'd write when they handed him the forms in the secret torture room, and continue to insist was his name through the entire interrogation to Sae's consternation

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Go with the LP and name your messy-haired, glasses-wearing, outcast, magical protagonist who doesn't have a proper room and fights against bumbling and corrupt adults the only name they could possibly have: Harry Potter.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I don't know about protagonist name, but the group is obviously the Wet Bandits.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I was real mad at myself when I didn't name my NG+ group the Wu-Tang Clan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Shaggy Rogers, Mystery Inc. are clearly the only two options.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ChaosArgate posted:

It's not though? If you're strong enough to instantly wipe out a random shadow on the field, you're not getting anything substantial from them in the first place.

I know it isn't remotely necessary but does this mean I am correct correct in assuming that trying to level past 84, since the highest level random encounter is 77 is unreasonable?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I took the first name from Joker's manga name and the surname from another very important part of the SMT universe: his name's Akira Kuzunoha

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

I know it isn't remotely necessary but does this mean I am correct correct in assuming that trying to level past 84, since the highest level random encounter is 77 is unreasonable?

No, because the ability only triggers on ambushes and inconsistently.

If you just hit them you'll still get into a battle, and if you outlevel them that much your dudes will all be faster anyways.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zore posted:

Its 7 levels.
okay this i'll believe but i still dont like that skill

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

And even then, you could probably get a lot of experience without a whole lot of trouble by bullying the reaper in flu season.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Nah, you can use the Reaper for that, since that ability won't trigger on him.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

For some reason the juices stopped lining up with the guide on GameFAQs and my social skilling and obtaining requests got hosed up as a result.

I don't care about the books or games, but man I hope I can get all the social links.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ChrisBTY posted:

I was able to get to level 87 before it started triggering on the random encounters in front of Yaldabaoth's room, the groups of 2x Kali + Abaddon or Mot. Either the calculus for an encounter is different from the highest demon therein, or there is some set of circumstances in which it's 10 rather than 7 levels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

For some reason the juices stopped lining up with the guide on GameFAQs and my social skilling and obtaining requests got hosed up as a result.

I don't care about the books or games, but man I hope I can get all the social links.

You have an extra 10 days or so he uses to do all the games, but prioritize keeping your party+moon given the choice since they're unavailable then.

Also use Fortune readings if you want to catch up. The fact the guide doesn't use them at all means there's almost a month of free time its potentially missing out on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

That guide has like two full weeks free of social links at the end--he maxes all the links pretty early. You'll do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Considering how easy it is to get practically infinite money in this game by putting Pulinpa on a high-luck Persona and heading into Mementos, plus the ability you get from maxing Strength, plus the fact that you can overcome the "only one gallows-strengthening per Persona per day" restriction by registering, releasing, and recalling the Persona after each strengthening... levels don't really mean too much anyway, since you can get basically whatever Persona you want as soon as you're high enough level to complete Strength.

And with a bit of savescumming, the gallows let you transfer any ability from any Persona to any other Persona without having to gently caress about with fusions.

What I'm saying is, power leveling is Not Necessary