Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mebh posted:

Where's "wanker" or "arsehole"?

You know those star/planet animations where they show how big Earth is compared side by side to the next biggest thing, then the Sun, then bigger and bigger stars.
Wanker and arsehole are the size of UY Scuti (largest star known) compared to these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Mebh posted:

All this tells me is how utterly incredibly drab the British population is when coming up with descriptive one word terms.

Honestly "Bad" when asked to describe a prime minister? What are they? five?

Where's "wanker" or "arsehole"?

To be fair if they didn't exclude 'wanker', most of those would just be a big 'Wanker' with a handful of tiny unreadable dots around it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Worth getting the big one up for Big Tone:

When you're doing so well that "lier" registers on the chart

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

“30”? :confused:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm trying to remember what John Major was like as a prime minister and all I can remember is the Spitting Image sketches and the fact he hosed Edwina Currie.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bessantj posted:

I'm trying to remember what John Major was like as a prime minister and all I can remember is the Spitting Image sketches and the fact he hosed Edwina Currie.

cone hotline and cash for questions? that’s it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
He was probably the least offensive Tory PM possible but still chose deliberately to be a Tory under Thatcher so was a complete monster. Just a quiet, accountant-like one.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

cone hotline and cash for questions? that’s it

I don't remember the cone hotline but the cash for questions, didn't it happen in Blair's government as well?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

bessantj posted:

Last gasp of the actual one nation tories. Pro European. Spent his entire term feuding with the far right wing; Widdecombe, Michael Howard, the pre-Bojo generation. Did a lot of the actual work and getting the British state and UUs to make concessions on the NI peace process just in time for Blair to actually get it across the line. Mostly remembered for the media caricature, but that’s every politician ever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You did used to see a lot more cones. I assume this government has fixed the issue by ceasing infrastructure work.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You say that but the M27 has had cones on it for about 15 years at this point.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Considering how widely mocked and disliked he was at the time it’s an excellent demonstration of just how poo poo our governance is that Major is now generally accepted as a fairly decent prime minister / elder statesman And also still the last Tory to be elected and run a full term in office, without being propped up by some cranks

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Also fascinating that the same right wing lunatics that destroyed his premiership went on to wreck several others and many are still lurking in the House of Commons

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

HopperUK posted:

He was probably the least offensive Tory PM possible but still chose deliberately to be a Tory under Thatcher so was a complete monster. Just a quiet, accountant-like one.

To his credit, he acted pretty quickly on hand gun laws after Dunblane, introducing the 97 Firearms Amendment Act (though this could have gone further imo). Apart from that, Tory as usual as far as I remember.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

edit: looked up and was wrong

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Let’s not forget his circus origins

Although we’ve had a few Tories descended from clowns since tho!!!1!1!1! Ahahahaha

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Is John Major arguably the only working class prime-minister?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

What does "yh" mean anyway?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it means they've done zero actual cleaning of the data, given other entries like "ndheye" and "lier". also wondering if "na" is "n/a" that they've failed to exclude

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So a professional survey of Tonty then. Good good.

Still shocked it's got twat but not wanker.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So the cool Dutch Gabba tune has now been banned from Eurovision.

Now look at the state of this bellend…

https://twitter.com/carlrmorrell/status/1789222425533505807?s=46

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Ramsay Macdonald was the son of a farmhand and a maid, and as an adult worked jobs as a farmhand, teaching assistant and clerk. James Callaghan was the son of a sailor, he worked as a civil servant and a trade union officer.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

actually all the prime ministers are working class because they have all worked very hard for the country and the nation

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Lmao Tonty's one does say 'oval office' in the top left corner, but not nearly big enough

Also there's 'wate' and 'ndheye', so presumably the words of that size only one person said? The visualisation is nice but I just want the ordered list now with number of instances for each

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Israel’s insane genocide is genuinely causing the commentariat to lose their minds. What the gently caress kind of point is this???

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You know what else China has made that the UK can't?

A ceasefire in Burma.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Ha ha, you care about things and I don't, so I win". Or even more simply, "I used your magic words on you so I win"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

A ceasefire in Burma.

Checkmate Brillo

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

A ceasefire in Burma.

I mean it didn't last but that's because it seems as if there may end up with a new communist state in Burma before the end of the next 10 years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Depends how you define working class. Is it your parents, your education, your own occupation?
Going backwards from now
Rishi Sunak is definitely middle class, father a GP, mother owned a pharmacy, went to an expensive private school, went to work for Goldman Sachs & hedge funds.
Liz Truss dad is famously a professor, they travelled around so went to a variety of schools but all seem to have been state schools. After leaving uni went on to become an accountant for Shell.
Boris Johnson obviously isn't, Eton educated, descended from some Ottoman noble.
Theresa May was the daughter of an Anglican clergyman, went to a grammar school that became a comp.
Pigfucker was obviously upper middle class. Etonian, grandparent was a Baronet, father a stockbroker
Gordon Brown was the son of a Minister, which sounds middle class but today a Minister earns £26,119, albeit with the benefit of being provided with a house. He went to a state school.
Tony Blair was a war criminal. Also his da was a lawyer & he went to Fettes.
John Major is a weird one. His father owned his own business, but after John went to Grammar School his dad lost their house after a business loan couldn't be repaid. Most recent PM not to go to uni anyway, & he was an unemployed carer for his mum at some point in the '60s.
Thatcher was born to Satan, grammar school, father owned a local shop. Also almost killed herself while cleaning, clearly mixing bleach with an acid which makes you wonder about how she ended up in chemistry.
Jim Callaghan was the son of a guy who ran away to join the Navy, his paternal grandparents had come over from Ireland during the Famine. Couldn't afford to go to university so took the civil service entrance exam instead. I think he counts?
Harold Wilson went to state school, his father was an industrial chemist who lose his gig during the Depression & spent 2 years unable to find employment. If Major is working class then I think Wilson would be too?
Ted Heath's dad was a carpenter who ended up owning a building firm
Alec Douglas-Home was the Earl of Home & so a straight up aristocrat
Harold Macmillan was another Etonian
Anthony Eden was a son of a Baronet, & his materal grandfather was Earl Grey
Clement Attlee was the son of a barrister & went to a private school.
Winston Churchill...his grandfather was the 7th Duke of Marlborough
Neville Chamberlain was the son of Joseph Chamberlain, a businessman & later Mayor of Birmingham & prominent MP, went to Rugby School
Stanley Baldwin went to Harrow, was the son of a wealthy family, with his father being an MP & Chairman of Great Western Railway
Ramsay MacDonald, the Great Betrayer, the disastrous PM during the Great Depression. He was the illegitimate son of a farm labourer & a housemaid, got free education from the Free Church of Scotland (Kate Forbes is jealous) & then became an apprentice teacher & moved to Bristol.

So I'd say that probably Callaghan & definitely MacDonald were of a working class background. But honestly, you can't be a working class MP, working in Parliament you stop being working class because you are no longer producing anything, except perhaps some hot air

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just lol if anyone interacts with Andrew Neil other than just posting the picture of his name and multiple phone numbers in Epstein's black book

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just lol if anyone interacts with Andrew Neil other than just posting the picture of his name and multiple phone numbers in Epstein's black book

I just asked him where his hairpieces are made these days lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

So the cool Dutch Gabba tune has now been banned from Eurovision.

https://twitter.com/postoctobrist/status/1789258550604128525?t=0RFUgoN4xhmc4ngvc9DN6g&s=19

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I imagine being bombed out of your homes makes it really hard to manufacture things

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This came up on my FB feed, may be of interest:

The bitly link is to here:

https://www.sfomuseum.org/exhibitions/dugan-fabbre-survive-shore/gallery/#3

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 11, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Whatever it was no longer exists. :shrug:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Whatever it was no longer exists. :shrug:

I can still see it for some reason despite it not embedding

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

How is Dutch a real language lol

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

forkboy84 posted:

Tony Blair was a war criminal. Also his da was a lawyer & he went to Fettes.

Bit uncalled for, there's plenty to criticise Tonty for, and lots of people put on weight as they get older :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
King Billy stole all the vowels from Wales and shoved them in the middle of his words.