Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SCheeseman posted:

https://vimeo.com/301619215
This is from aaaaages ago and the port has improved a bit. It's good fun, make sure to turn off texture filtering and get voxel replacement packs as they're really good these days,

I need this to work with Reelism.

Also, I need a VR headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

[...]
This is from aaaaages ago and the port has improved a bit. It's good fun, make sure to turn off texture filtering and get voxel replacement packs as they're really good these days,

Yeah, my understanding from my research is that it has a fallback to make sprite weapons usable but it looks awful, so you really want voxel or mesh replacements for the weapons, if nothing else. It looks like there's an existing model pack based on the Brutal Doom weapons. I probably shouldn't expect model packs for stuff like DRLA or Star Wars Doom, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m guessing “no,” but has Descent 3 ever received any kind of source port?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Despite earlier promises, the source code for Descent 3 was never released, thanks to Interplay. There are still intact copies out there so it's not out of the question but someone would have to either get Interplay on board or do a DNF and leak the source. As far as I know there also hasn't been any work on reverse-engineered compatible engines a la Force Engine, OpenMW, UWE, TSSHP, and whatnot.

D2X-XL (and DXX-Rebirth, which is now mothballed) are both based on the D2 source release with parts of D1 incorporated so they can support both games, IIRC.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

The game received an official update on Steam for 64-bit binaries with compatibility with modern systems... on Mac and Linux. Windows was left stranded.

A coder from the Doom community has been fiddling with using DLL code injection to improve the situation on Windows. And hey, it updated just two weeks ago! Nice!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

dr_rat posted:

100% behind the Nintendo censors on their no dog killing polices. :colbert:

Agreed but I'm disappointed that you, of all people, would betray your rat brethren so brazenly

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

ToxicFrog posted:

So my wife just finished putting together her VR rig, and is ok with me borrowing it. While doing some research I found out that there is an up to date fork of gzDoom with VR support, so I am definitely going to have to try that out. Anyone else tried it?

I also found out that D2X-XL (the Descent source port) supports stereoscopic rendering, although it only lists Oculus Rift as the supported hardware platform; hopefully there's some way to kludge that into working with other VR hardware.

I haven't tried gzdoom in VR in awhile, it's exactly what you'd expect though. Cool experience, billboard sprites in VR has a charm to it imo.
The Dark Mod has a VR mod for it as well, no motion controller support at the moment
https://github.com/fholger/thedarkmodvr

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm almost positive that I played Descent 3 about 4 or 5 years ago without any need for fixes or anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A few years ago someone managed to get private access to the D3 project and released updated Mac and Linux binaries (but not source). I'm not sure if the changes were ever ported back to the Windows version

IIRC its current state is that it works but it's held together with spit and baling wire and missing a lot of modern features

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deakul posted:

I'm almost positive that I played Descent 3 about 4 or 5 years ago without any need for fixes or anything.

Last I checked it works on modern systems, it just doesn't work well -- no borderless fullscreen support, widescreen is bad, ultrawidescreen is unplayable, it crashes outright on HiDPI screens, all the cutscenes try to modeswitch to 640x480 (which, depending on your setup, will fall somewhere between "looks bad" and "crashes the game"), the mouse controls are hosed up on some versions of windows, etc. Some of these can be mitigated using Glide wrappers or fan-patches, but it's a lot of fiddling and you're never going to get widescreen working right no matter what you do.

And yeah, the updated OSX and Linux builds were never backported to the Windows release and, AFAIK, there are no plans to do so.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Mandalore covers Marathon

Mandathonalore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9rMu1XYB98

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Ultimate Overview of the Original System Shock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAkfxKkY0Mo

I think this is the only review/overview that has covered just how complicated that original UI was AND also plays with it on and not the newfangled but inferior fullscreen view

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Mandalore covers Marathon

Mandathonalore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9rMu1XYB98

Yes, Mandalore, I agree, the game ends at Colony Ship for Sale Cheap

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
People whining about how complicated the UI is (it's not that bad) for System Shock has scared off more people from trying out the game than the actual UI. :colbert:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I tried the original and I didn't want to fight the controls and UI to eventually find if I like the game or not.

I rather play System Shock 2.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I like the old UI, it felt like a built in OS. There was a surprising amount of features in it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Valve Steam Deck posted:

I think this is the only review/overview that has covered just how complicated that original UI was AND also plays with it on and not the newfangled but inferior fullscreen view

:confused: The fullscreen view was part of the game from release and is just as complicated (and useful) as the halfscreen view; the only difference is:
- all the decorative framing is removed, along with the biometric graphs¹ in the top left
- the MFDs get transparent backgrounds so you can see through them
- the look/stance indicator is moved from the top center to top left
- if you're playing in 1994, your CPU melts
All the same UI elements are there and, with one exception, they're even in the same places.

¹ You could argue that this is a reduction in functionality but they're loving impossible to read and all the information they provide is mirrored elsewhere in the HUD anyways

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

People whining about how complicated the UI is (it's not that bad) for System Shock has scared off more people from trying out the game than the actual UI. :colbert:

I think most of that comes from (a) the game booting up with the help overlay enabled, which makes things look even more complicated and intimidating; (b) the game booting up in halfscreen mode, which makes it look like you'll be playing the game squinting through a tiny window if you don't notice the "click here for fullscreen mode" label hidden among all the other help text; and (c) the game using a control scheme that works fine (SZXC with keyboard look and mouse aiming) but is different from its contemporaries and very different from modern (read: post-1998 or so) FPS control conventions.

None of this has been a problem since the unofficial mouselook and key mapping patch and that was over a decade ago, though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Convex posted:

a mancubus in a hot dog outfit

That's loving hilarious, the Pain Elemental in camo dual wielding LMGs is dope as gently caress.

Is that.......a Revenant decked out in Mu-tant color scheme from "This Island Earth"?????

"Dicks, you kicked me in the nads."

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I always try to play Marathon, but it's the only game besides Kane and Lynch 2 that actually gives me motion sickness.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Jiro posted:

Is that.......a Revenant decked out in Mu-tant color scheme from "This Island Earth"?????

"Dicks, you kicked me in the nads."

"Is he wearing slacks??"

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I always try to play Marathon, but it's the only game besides Kane and Lynch 2 that actually gives me motion sickness.

Only game to ever give me motion sickness was Half-Life: Alyx, but that's VR so it's most likely waaay more common. Although I had no trouble playing Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners. Maybe something to do with the scale or the artstyle.

I'd go and give Marathon 2 a shot, there's much more open areas, and I think you can adjust the FOV now. More space for your brain to parse what's on screen.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
On A Rail really is too effing long.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I continued playing Hedon Bloodrite. I have to say the second part has a very impressive set of hub style maps. Huuge, each one with differentiated areas, and interconnected in different ways, with new shortcuts you open up as you progress. Super ambitious, even more than in the first part, even against AAA games. There is desolate area, a swamp, some ruins, a stronghold, catacombs where you push statues to open a way, a village, a pyramid, a dense Autumn forest, and more. There is a map with mushroom forest, some grand halls, a weird mansion (with inter-dimensional kitchen, enchanted mirrors, a treasury area, a pool/sauna/baths themed area, an geometrically crazy library...) in the vein of Thief, there is a three or four level ossuary dungeon, hidden passages, temples, icy caves, etc.
And well, the game goes crazy with it, they give you super vague goals, and each is a multi step effort, that supposes a serious effort in exploration, and even some riddles and puzzles. All very old school, there is some stuff that will make you use pen & paper.
In fact here it's where I say that while I appreciate how ambitious was the author, he went too far. The objective they give you are super vague, and your journal won't write down any new developments in your progress within them, only the initial sentence appear. So there are times where you literally have to remember what a npc or book said, even if you last played two weeks ago. The maps are so big that the automap really needs some kind of auto annotation system, where is pointed where different special locations and npcs were, the last thing I did in the game was to go to places I had been before (a little garden with a brain-in-a-jar npc, and a graveyard) and I needed half an hour to even find the locations, ugh. And some of the riddles... this is very 90s rpg poo poo.
In other words, I'm stuck right now, without clear clues (I think I have to enchant a true sight pendant, but no idea how, also I need to make a statue of myself, I was proud of already finding two special rocks to give to the craftsman, then the fucker asked em for seven. Seven?!). I'm not sure I have the willpower to continue. I may uninstall.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Force Engine has put out one last bigfix update before working on v1.0, adding an optional crosshair, fixing several rendering oddities with 3D models, and adding the ability to extend the vanilla adjoin limits, fixing HOM effects in custom maps with very detailed geometry.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

In other words, I'm stuck right now, without clear clues (I think I have to enchant a true sight pendant, but no idea how, also I need to make a statue of myself, I was proud of already finding two special rocks to give to the craftsman, then the fucker asked em for seven. Seven?!). I'm not sure I have the willpower to continue. I may uninstall.
As someone who beat it recently and spent a lot of time cursing the exact same things:

There is a whole lowermost level of Salt and Blood that you may have missed, locked behind dark key doors; a bunch of the required rocks is there. There is in fact more than seven of in the game so you don't need obsessively comb the island for them.

Regarding the true sight pendant, you need to find a scroll of Enchant Trinket and use it on the gardener's brain

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

As someone who beat it recently and spent a lot of time cursing the exact same things:

There is a whole lowermost level of Salt and Blood that you may have missed, locked behind dark key doors; a bunch of the required rocks is there. There is in fact more than seven of in the game so you don't need obsessively comb the island for them.

Regarding the true sight pendant, you need to find a scroll of Enchant Trinket and use it on the gardener's brain

Yeah, I'm unstuck now. I finally got the part I had missed in a walkthrough...
My real problem was not having a magic scroll, which I didn't have because I hadn't noticed I could solve already the puzzle with the four oil altars (that gives you access to a new area). Because I had forgotten there was a place where you can take oil with the chalice, needed for that riddle.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/1530994482887401475?s=20&t=p4MRoKT0mJyZfAhOhYYGLA

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's the Resaurus Duke Nukem action figure :eyepop:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, so I'm looking for a certain UT mod, a singleplayer total conversion that added a campaign that changed the whole game into a vaguely System Shock 2 affair where you're going through a ship fighting aliens. Buglike ones if I remember correctly, at least in the early game. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Could you be thinking of the Marathon campaign port for UT99 called Marathon Resurrection?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nah i wasn't based on an existing property or anything.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Mordja posted:

Hey, so I'm looking for a certain UT mod, a singleplayer total conversion that added a campaign that changed the whole game into a vaguely System Shock 2 affair where you're going through a ship fighting aliens. Buglike ones if I remember correctly, at least in the early game. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6_40vtJM4

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Someone on twitter reminded me that Gunman Chronicles was a game that existed at some point so I've spent most of the morning with it. It's kind of a mess but in a good way so far. Enemy placement is kind of sloppy in that way where there's very often 2 more enemies than there should be in encounters. Also the firing modes are cool but I guess this was before we had single button toggles for those so it's hidden in a slightly cumbersome menu.

Also loving it wearing its HL roots proudly by having pillars and tech junk squash your friends and enemies while also exploding a lot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Someone on twitter reminded me that Gunman Chronicles was a game that existed at some point so I've spent most of the morning with it. It's kind of a mess but in a good way so far. Enemy placement is kind of sloppy in that way where there's very often 2 more enemies than there should be in encounters. Also the firing modes are cool but I guess this was before we had single button toggles for those so it's hidden in a slightly cumbersome menu.

Also loving it wearing its HL roots proudly by having pillars and tech junk squash your friends and enemies while also exploding a lot.

I LOVE Gunman Chronicles, I bought it on the Sierra Classics range because I thought it was another Half Life game. There's so many cool scripted sequences and fighting dinosaurs is always fun! Do you have it running on Steam?

e: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135681015 seems like this might work

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ayyyy, that's the one!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Mr. Icarus finally looks at the DNF leak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCrKiijpffQ

Randy Pitchford's Labyrinth of Grease

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I have discovered that Shub-Niggurath's pit on nightmare is pretty hard.

Especially when you fail to pick up the thunderbolt before going in.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Mr. Icarus finally looks at the DNF leak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCrKiijpffQ

Randy Pitchford's Labyrinth of Grease
With [EMBRACER] owning both Gearbox and 3DRealms, is there anything stopping them from finishing up the 2002 build, slapping the latter's logo on it and putting it out? Rereleasing and even updating old games from their acquired catalog is kind of their MO, what with Titan Quest and Kingdoms of Amalur, for example.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

been playing Gunman Chronicles loads using the link from earlier. It runs flawlessly. Bliss. The weapon modification is as fun as I remembered.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gunman was fun, but whatever version I'd pirated when I played it crashed irreversibly in like the final chapter and nothing I could do would fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mordja posted:

With [EMBRACER] owning both Gearbox and 3DRealms, is there anything stopping them from finishing up the 2002 build, slapping the latter's logo on it and putting it out? Rereleasing and even updating old games from their acquired catalog is kind of their MO, what with Titan Quest and Kingdoms of Amalur, for example.

A lot of stupid egos that don’t like each other?