Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I know I’m late to the party but God of War might be the best $17 I’ve spent on a video game, definitely excited for a sequel. Contrast that to Far Cry 5 which might have been the worst $16 I’ve spent in a game.

Also hoping the PS5 will do 60 FPS at baseline instead of 30 for all games.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The cpu boost might help in games with a lot of simulation/ai but devs, especially 3rd parties have no incentive to seek performance when saying that they are 8k will sell more

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

B-Mac posted:

I know I’m late to the party but God of War might be the best $17 I’ve spent on a video game, definitely excited for a sequel. Contrast that to Far Cry 5 which might have been the worst $16 I’ve spent in a game.

Yeah, God of War is about as good as a game can get. My only real complaint is that I wanted more bosses that aren't trolls, but I guess time and money realities had to hit somewhere.

I think my favorite tiny feature is that Kratos' animation changes depending on if he hits or misses his target. If he hits, then his arm actually reacts to the resistance. It's part of so many little things that make the combat feel so satisfying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love how you can see every penny on screen for GOW. Graphics. Music. Sound. Acting. All amazing. Best production values in any game I've played.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I didn’t have a million games to play because I really want to revisit GoW.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love how you can see every penny on screen for GOW. Graphics. Music. Sound. Acting. All amazing. Best production values in any game I've played.
Uhhh...Red Dead?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Uhhh...Red Dead?

This is what immediately came to mind when I saw that post.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish I didn’t have a million games to play because I really want to revisit GoW.

I got RE2 on Friday and all I want to do is play my backlog, I'm broken. Played RDR2 all day today and I'm thinking about starting Gears of War 2 tomorrow since I've never played that. I'm sorry RE2, I truly am.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Uhhh...Red Dead?

The faces in red dead look like poo poo post gow

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

SubponticatePoster posted:

That guy has to be using underleveled poo poo, I just fought two of those at the same time and would take off a good chunk of health with each blast of a shotgun.

It's really not bad. The big boss in the stronghold (equivalent of a strike in Destiny) is way less bullshit than pretty much any strike boss. And it's trivially easy to 1-shot mooks with a sniper or shotgun.

Okay cool that's good to know

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ever since some guy put up a really dumb and bad video about Wolfenstein TNO I’ve basically assumed every GIF or video showing something really dumb is someone looking to get start poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Shame they forgot about the gameplay though

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dat axe tho

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I would put RDR2 over GoW but that’s a pointless battle. They’re both incredible fully realized games.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I can’t think of an action game that played better than GoW for me. Puzzles and all that too.

BisterdDave posted:

I got RE2 on Friday and all I want to do is play my backlog, I'm broken. Played RDR2 all day today and I'm thinking about starting Gears of War 2 tomorrow since I've never played that. I'm sorry RE2, I truly am.

I’m convincing myself that RE2 will only frustrate me so I don’t buy it :negative:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Imagine thinking GOW was lacking in gameplay. Pfft.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pablo Nergigante's God Of War posts make me want to give him a swirly for posting so bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I agree that read dead was disappointing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

JBP posted:

I agree that read dead was disappointing.

I’ve felt zero compulsion to go back to RDR2

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’ve felt zero compulsion to go back to RDR2

I started again to set myself up in chapter three which is the "good chapter for open world stuff" and after I made the save I never returned to the game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m not trying to see and do everything in RDR2. If I did I might go insane and forget other games exist. Even without focusing on 100%ing it there’s still so much I want to do and see. Game is yuuuuuge.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m not trying to see and do everything in RDR2. If I did I might go insane and forget other games exist. Even without focusing on 100%ing it there’s still so much I want to do and see. Game is yuuuuuge.
Yeah it’s enormous. I did most of the side missions but there was still stuff that I never did. Like the collectible side missions that give you certain rewards (the florist guy, the archeologist, the Dreamcatchers, or the Chain Gang).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kibayasu posted:

Ever since some guy put up a really dumb and bad video about Wolfenstein TNO I’ve basically assumed every GIF or video showing something really dumb is someone looking to get start poo poo.

remember the video everyone was posting of horizon to prove it was bad and lovely and everyone should cancel their preorders

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I've put hours upon hours into rdr2 and I don't think I've ever come across that stuff. If you told there actually weren't any dinosaur bones or dreamcatchers I'd probably believe you.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I found one dreamcatcher during my play through. I spent a fair bit of time just wandering around and exploring but still never found any dinosaur bones. Doing those quests without looking up the locations has to be impossible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aranan posted:

I found one dreamcatcher during my play through. I spent a fair bit of time just wandering around and exploring but still never found any dinosaur bones. Doing those quests without looking up the locations has to be impossible.

I never found any dreamcatchers or dinosaur bones either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had pretty high expectations for RE2, but so far it's exceeded all of them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Also hoping the PS5 will do 60 FPS at baseline instead of 30 for all games.

Graphics quality will always be pushed to its absolute limit, meaning frame rate will be sacrificed. Most people want to see native 4K, and whatever latest tech Nvidia is pushing out over frame rate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I said come in! posted:

Graphics quality will always be pushed to its absolute limit, meaning frame rate will be sacrificed. Most people want to see native 4K, and whatever latest tech Nvidia is pushing out over frame rate.

It's always three years of resolution then the remaining you get frames. You must wait for your frames.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Aranan posted:

Yeah I didn't bother with those. The dreamcatchers in particular are even harder to find than the bones.

The woman who gives the dinosaur bones quest is not that far from your first camp in the game. If you wander slightly east of the camp into the more prairie area she's there with a cart.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I never found any dreamcatchers or dinosaur bones either.

Found all the dreamcatchers, most without a guide. Found like one bone.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

I wanted to try this but keep getting this error. How will I shame myself now?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AC7's campaign is pretty good. The gameplay itself is the best the series has ever been so if that's all you care about then you'll get that in spades. For anyone who is interested in seeing if it can match the storytelling of 5 or 0 it doesn't match up. That's not to say its bad but it obviously had more it wanted to say and didn't have the time to. It's not incomprehensible or anything, nor is it just... annoying like AC6, but AC5 had the time to tell its story and 0 made excellent use of its framing device. Overall very good. I don't have PS Plus so I can't talk about the multiplayer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Uhhh...Red Dead?

Haven't played it :clint:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't turned on my PS4 since September to play the SC6 demo, and probably won't again until next month to play the DMCV demo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Dreams is so cool.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm glad DragonQuest 11 has a third act where I destroy time to save the charcater I wanted dead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RE2 is the first thing I have played (or watched for that matter) in so long that actually gets what made zombies good in the first place. I'm so used to them being harmless cannon fodder at this point that it's kind of jarring to get stuck in a room with 4 of them and have it feel harrowing.

Also hats off to whoever did the facial animations on them, because some of them look creepy as gently caress.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Alright guys. As far as console gaming is considered, I've lived under a rock since PS1 era.

Any suggestions where I could read up on games I might be interested in, and more importantly learn about ones I've never even heard of? Basically I want to discover games I can't get on PC, so I don't need all these googled up lists telling me how great Dishonoured 2 is. :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Game Over for Bioware :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsS_VMzY10I

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can’t think of an action game that played better than GoW for me. Puzzles and all that too.

I can think of a dozen, but whatever, GoW's a pretty well made blockbuster

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I will only accept Metal Gear Revengeance as a counter response :colbert:

Singing Sunflower posted:

Alright guys. As far as console gaming is considered, I've lived under a rock since PS1 era.

Any suggestions where I could read up on games I might be interested in, and more importantly learn about ones I've never even heard of? Basically I want to discover games I can't get on PC, so I don't need all these googled up lists telling me how great Dishonoured 2 is. :v:

You’re probably best off looking up a list or two of best PS4 exclusives and digging through there. I searched around and GamesRadar has a solid one with some short writeups about each game.

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-ps4-exclusives/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

I will only accept Metal Gear Revengeance as a counter response :colbert:

YOU BETTER FUCKIN BELIEVE IT :black101: