Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

slidebite posted:

Hey thread, can you recommend a decent, easy to pick up 2 player puzzle/casual type game that my wife and I can both play at the same time? We used to play bust-a-move on the Dreamcast and Pixel-junks' Monsters! on the PS3.

It’s not puzzley but Minecraft is a very fun casual couch coop game for partner chillin’ time. Just about anyone can pick it up and find something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

slidebite posted:

Hey thread, can you recommend a decent, easy to pick up 2 player puzzle/casual type game that my wife and I can both play at the same time? We used to play bust-a-move on the Dreamcast and Pixel-junks' Monsters! on the PS3.

My wife and I like playing diablo 3 together. It’s probably not what you may think of as casual, but it is actually kind of relaxing to just chill and mash attack buttons and grab phat lewt. We didn’t play at a high level at first until she got comfortable with cranking up the difficulty (mostly because she wanted better loot :haw: )

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did that enemy's health bar drop even a little?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Gameplay looks sick but I hate bullet sponges

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Tei posted:

Where are you guys seeing these cool stats? I want to check mine. Also, the My Live video never worked for me.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2018/wrap-up/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Over There posted:

I played on PS4 for a few hours today. It controls fine and looks great, but yeah there are sponges and it generally reminds me of the division, which isn't an experience I feel like playing actual money for.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

slidebite posted:

Tricky towers

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

JBP posted:

I played on PS4 for a few hours today. It controls fine and looks great, but yeah there are sponges and it generally reminds me of the division, which isn't an experience I feel like playing actual money for.

In The Division you actually melt enemies once you get some proper gear and nowadays is pretty easy to get. TD2 will have a faster TTK. Anthem has some stuff straight out of Destiny but not in a good way from what I've seen on streams.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
It's 2019 and I'm obsessed with Resident Evil 2 and Spyro. This is the weirdest timeline.

I'm not even through one of the campaigns in RE2 and already wanting Capcom to redo 1,3, code Veronica, and hell even RE4 in this style.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tensai posted:

, and hell even RE4 in this style.

:nono:

Don't mess with perfection

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Finished the Ace Combat 7 campaign. It stays true to the end, to be absolutely exhilarating to play.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Favorite part about Resident Evil is how gnarly the body deformation is. I know it's kind of hosed up but I find it really cool when games go all out on that stuff. The effect that the shotgun can have on a zombie's face is brutal.

Also I swear to god some of those dudes have the thickest skulls ever.
I tossed a frag grenade into 3 zombies expecting it to blow off limbs. It didn't, but the resulting damage on their skins is terrifying. Like, drat, frag grenades are scary.
But not as scary as that STOMP STOMP STOMP sound following me across the police station.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lobok posted:

It may drop by a minuscule amount but if that monster is way higher level than the player then it makes sense that it's shrugging off the bullets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

It may drop by a minuscule amount but if that monster is way higher level than the player then it makes sense that it's shrugging off the bullets.

Well, one kind of sense. This is why shooter RPGs aren't my jam.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basing everything on gear/leveling is such a lazy and misleading approach to "difficulty" regardless of it's a shooter or not. I wish this poo poo would just go away forever.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anthem looks bad. Bioware need to find a way out of EA and go back to making RPGs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Guillermus posted:

In The Division you actually melt enemies once you get some proper gear and nowadays is pretty easy to get. TD2 will have a faster TTK. Anthem has some stuff straight out of Destiny but not in a good way from what I've seen on streams.

Yeah, I think there’s like two bullet sponges left in The Division (a dude with a massive set of homemade armor you can still gently caress up by exploding his napalm tanks, and a helicopter). By and large you can ice people pretty well if you go for the head.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Division isn't bad about bullet sponges if you are leveled accordingly, but higher level enemies are essentially just soft gated content and that is bad game design. it's why loot games are just a terrible genre imo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bullet sponges are more apparent at the start of The Division because all the good changes they made since launch were for the end game and they barely thought about how anything might need to be changed for the new player. Gear drops are still super stingy until you reach max level so you’re basically using whatever random poo poo the game gives you and that can occasionally be bad because RNG.

Once you get one character to level 30 though you’ll be swimming in credits and those are shared with your other characters so you can just buy what you need if you start a new one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

Bullet sponges are more apparent at the start of The Division because all the good changes they made since launch were for the end game and they barely thought about how anything might need to be changed for the new player. Gear drops are still super stingy until you reach max level so you’re basically using whatever random poo poo the game gives you and that can occasionally be bad because RNG.

Once you get one character to level 30 though you’ll be swimming in credits and those are shared with your other characters so you can just buy what you need if you start a new one.

I replayed it from the start on PS4 in the last six months, and only the very start when you’re still using grey items is really spongy. Usually the annoying thing is when all your new stuff is crap like burst ARs and SMGs but even then your older stuff can still hang in there with decent mods.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Waltzing Along posted:

Anthem looks bad. Bioware need to find a way out of EA and go back to making RPGs.
If Anthem flops, BioWare is dead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nooo they still have Unnamed Dragon Age Project........

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
BioWare exists in name only, it has been dead since before Andromeda(or was killed during it, I don't remember the specifics)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Aranan posted:

I realize I'm going to probably sound like a weird non-gamer person when I ask this, but what is the point of trophies/achievements/platinum on a game? They've never been anything I've chased unless there was some kind of reward tied to them, but they obviously have tremendous appeal to be in almost every game on every platform out there.

At their best, they can be a way to encourage players to try things they might not do otherwise because they'd found one thing that works and stuck to that. Sometimes they'll find they actually like some things they'd overlooked. Destiny 2's internal achievements (triumphs) are fairly good at this.

Mostly it's just for e-penis comparison with at least some degree of objectivity, since you're not just relying on someone's word that they accomplished whatever the achievement was for.

I did like how Mass Effect 1 had small bonuses tied to each achievement, and wish that was more common. Not a good idea for primarily multiplayer games, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

slidebite posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris, its just two really good versions of two really good puzzle games with a bunch of modes that let you mix and match Tetris and Puyo Puyo. Along those same lines, Tricky Towers is a fun weird take on Tetris that you might already own if you have PS+.

Also worth pointing out there are a couple of Pixeljunk games on PS4, including Monsters 2. Pixeljunk Shooter is great in coop.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris, its just two really good versions of two really good puzzle games with a bunch of modes that let you mix and match Tetris and Puyo Puyo. Along those same lines, Tricky Towers is a fun weird take on Tetris that you might already own if you have PS+.

Also worth pointing out there are a couple of Pixeljunk games on PS4, including Monsters 2. Pixeljunk Shooter is great in coop.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is extremely frustrating single player but fine multiplayer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FlamingLiberal posted:

If Anthem flops, BioWare is dead

Dead either way

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Damnit, shame on all of us for not posting this when trophy talk came up!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Beat Leon A in RE2 is was pretty drat good once I got used to not playing it like every RE game made in the last fifteen years.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw98ARXfcqk

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I hope BW isn't dead, I need my Dragon Age 4.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

NikkolasKing posted:

I hope BW isn't dead, I need my Dragon Age 4.

You've got to wonder at whether it will be worth waiting on. As people have said the developer isn't what it once was and a new dragon age game might just be Andromeda with swords.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Paracelsus posted:

I did like how Mass Effect 1 had small bonuses tied to each achievement, and wish that was more common. Not a good idea for primarily multiplayer games, though.

Alpha Protocol also did that in a neat way, you'd get different bonus depending on how you handled certain situations

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Damnit, shame on all of us for not posting this when trophy talk came up!

https://youtu.be/hpsbj0OoeNo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/984287404164046849

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I decided to do the Reaper farming thing in Persona 5 in my New Game Plus run, and what a bunch of cheesy bullshit this nonsense is :discourse:

Is that the Epcot ball

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I beat Devil May Cry today (great game) and despite my better judgement I started DMC2. God it sucks so much rear end. Even just moving Dante around feels like poo poo and there’s a delay to even swinging the drat sword. Combat feels like rear end and the enemies just stand there and let you stunlock them with bullets. I heard it was bad but I had no idea how big the drop in quality was. I quit after about a half hour and started DMC3 instead and it’s insane how much better it plays

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lobok posted:

That guy has to be using underleveled poo poo, I just fought two of those at the same time and would take off a good chunk of health with each blast of a shotgun.

Over There posted:

It's really not bad. The big boss in the stronghold (equivalent of a strike in Destiny) is way less bullshit than pretty much any strike boss. And it's trivially easy to 1-shot mooks with a sniper or shotgun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I decided to do the Reaper farming thing in Persona 5 in my New Game Plus run, and what a bunch of cheesy bullshit this nonsense is :discourse:

If you fight him during the flu season and he gets Despair he'll just suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

slidebite posted:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/aca-neogeo-puzzle-bobble-ps4/