Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Scarabrae posted:

so my son wants a dog and I had a sheltie growing up, great dog…looked into getting a puppy from a reputable breeder

$3400

lmao

Get one from the shelter :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Scarabrae posted:

so my son wants a dog and I had a sheltie growing up, great dog…looked into getting a puppy from a reputable breeder

$3400

lmao

unfortunately this is apparently normal and breeder prices have gone up 2-3x in the last decade

I think it's partly because a lot of above board breeders are getting really old and dying off because who the gently caress under the age of 60 wants to deal with the logistics of dog breeding, so availability is way down

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Lots of perfectly fine dogs down at the pound

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Scarabrae posted:

$3400

lmao

Livingg things shouldn't be possessions OP

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Nitevision posted:

Oh yeah then explain our freaking economy!!!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just get a cat though. cats are good

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

[Doomsday Econ] Trying to make yourself happy is difficult

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

yes I’m aware that there are shelters with dogs for adoption

was mainly curious how inflation has affected this portion of the ECONOMY

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1780220095601500235

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm sure they have a discount per each genetic disorder they breed into those dogs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sales 🔺 +2.3%

Profits 🔺+7.7%

Do the math

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sales 🔺 +2.3%

Profits 🔺+7.7%

Do the math

The funnier ones are when profits are up and sales are down.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

net work error posted:

Get one from the shelter :argh:

shelter sheltie

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Scarabrae posted:

$3400

lmao

Adopt a dog from a shelter it's the best of all worlds. Every dog we've ever had was adopted

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I love the idea of a reputable pet breeder... Yeah these people keep a ton of living animals in captivity and force them breed with each other endlessly for profit. Basically distorting and harnessing a force of nature in order to extract excess wealth from people who have what are basically racist preferences about animals. But they do it in the Ethical way

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

just get a cat though. cats are good

You don't even need to "get" a cat, just leave your door open and one will show up and move in eventually

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scarabrae posted:

$3400

lmao

playtime is just beginning

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I knew a lady who paid $5000 for a Italian Greyhound 5 years ago

I will say that dog was fast as gently caress

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I could not imagine paying $5k for one of the most hosed up dogs in the world

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

All the shelters here are exclusively full of large/xl pitbulls

Once there was a very pretty and nice German Shepard and she went in less than a day

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm sure they have a discount per each genetic disorder they breed into those dogs

don't really feel like diving too deep into this subject right now it's not exactly sunshine and roses on the general rescue side either, especially in large cities

blatman posted:

shelter sheltie

there are lots of breed specific rescues that can be a great choice. highly recommended if you can find a good one.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You don't even need to "get" a cat, just leave your door open and one will show up and move in eventually

:yeah:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
My dog is a pitbull mix that we adopted and she's amazing. An excellent dog when she's not waking you up to go outside at 3:30am

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
On the one hand, you could adopt a dog that needs you right now. But on the other hand, it might not look like the dog you pictured in your head. So in a way, both sides are bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

On the one hand, you could adopt a dog that needs you right now. But on the other hand, it might not look like the dog you pictured in your head. So in a way, both sides are bad.

That lazy sob should get a job.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

go to the shelter and get the worst dog (this dog needs your help the most)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Scarabrae posted:

I knew a lady who paid $5000 for a Italian Greyhound 5 years ago

I will say that dog was fast as gently caress

what the hell, you can easily foster or adopt them. I know a couple that has like 3 retired ones and they’re pretty chill however they are too big for us.

I’ve been looking at shelter dogs for our family and it’s hard to figure out which one isn’t gonna just snap at my kid .

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

triple sulk posted:

there are lots of breed specific rescues that can be a great choice. highly recommended if you can find a good one.

Look up what the Spanish do to Galgo/Padenco dogs and then rescue one of those. My friends have been proselytizing on this and they're right to.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
as if i needed another reason to hate Spain

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Nitevision posted:

I used to volunteer at a cat shelter and one time a guy tried to haggle the adoption fee with us. We explained that the fee wasn't the price of buying the cat, but the cost of covering their vaccinations and first vet visit. He said he was going to take his business to a competing shelter.

Consumer brain.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Scarabrae posted:

$3400

lmao

craigslist mutt from a nice ESL family. You will get a very very good dog at a reasonable price.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Scarabrae posted:

$3400

lmao

welcome to inbred dogs

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

sonatinas posted:

what the hell, you can easily foster or adopt them. I know a couple that has like 3 retired ones and they’re pretty chill however they are too big for us.

I’ve been looking at shelter dogs for our family and it’s hard to figure out which one isn’t gonna just snap at my kid .

I’m assuming this is the joke but Italian greyhounds are the little mini toy ones not like the Italian sports car version of a regular greyhound (the ones that race).

retired greyhounds are great dogs though, love just being big ol couch potatoes. Their only real downside (need to keep ‘em leashed when you’re walking them cause they can/will take off super fast if they see a squire or w/e) is something you should be doing with your dogs anyways. My family had one when I was growing up and I’d for sure adopt one if I ever got a dog.

Iggys though, not sure. We saw them p regularly in the vet hospital I worked at in high school and they p much were always breaking their legs by jumping off stuff. Fragile and high strung little guys, though that might be due to bad owners.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
We had an inbred little mini pinscher cause the original owner wanted to stuff him in a handbag (mid 2000s) and he absolutely refused so she gave him to us.

He was a little fucker I miss that guy

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
breeding animals is expensive as hell if you're doing tests and medical care you're supposed to, if a pure bred puppy isn't a few thousand bucks then that breeder isn't doing that stuff

and even if it is, many breeders still aren't doing that stuff

rescues and shelters are good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
walk into a shelter and demand the dog that's been in there the longest

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I had the pleasure of working with a couple retired greyhounds a few months back, and they were very sweet dogs. The owner loved to tell the story about how they walked past a tree and one of the dogs snatched a squirrel right off it and sprayed blood everywhere.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My childhood dog was a German shepherd/collie mix, and at the height of her athletic prowess she went about a third of the way up a tree and grabbed a squirrel that got too cocky right off the branch. She also picked fights with racoons on two occasions and managed to come away with only a scratch on the nose.

That was outdoor animals though, she knew the rules and let the cats walk all over her inside.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

no lube so what posted:

craigslist mutt from a nice ESL family. You will get a very very good dog at a reasonable price.

this is how I got a dog and I don’t know if I’d do it again but it worked out pretty well for me this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

those don't taste as good