Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

contrapants posted:

Maybe your sex life is so spicy that the jalapeņo is getting overpowered. Try switching to a ghost pepper instead.

Wouldn't they still burn when you put it back on the heat to continue cooking, or do you scoop the spices back out and re-add later? I'm thinking more for when I'm cooking a chicken cutlet or something similar.

No, because you've added the next thing to the pan. If the next thing is another spice, you do the same lifty move again. If it's an aromatic, you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So essentially dance with my pan and lemon rice will be successful. I think I can do that! And maybe add an egg yolk, but not for flavor, for when I pin my 'new' recipe later and get all the re-pins!

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Pickle for a nickel?

(Actually it was close to 4 dollars.)

That thing was HUGE. I saw it last time I was at the grocery store and remembered the individual pickle being about the size of a capri sun, but I went back and it was twice as large as that. :stare:

I didn't buy it but I will one day. Usually I get watermelon to eat on the walk home, one day it will be this giant pickle. I hope it's as cool and refreshing.

e: If it ends up tasty, I think a capri-sun-packaged pickle would be the awesomest to buy for caesar mixins. :)

E2: VVVVV UUUUUGH You are so lucky you haven't had some dumbass go "Here, let me show you my new iPhone 5 and ALL its features!"

It happened to us at Christmas, with my boyfriend's "Uncle" J. He just got an iPhone 5 and was super obsessed with it. The apple fad was really fading around here at the time, everyone and their grandmothers (My boyfriend's included) had iPhones and Android phones were quickly gaining popularity.

He just would NOT shut up about his new iPhone and its features, just explaining EVERYTHING to Gord(My boyfriend's) elderly relatives. He also filmed Gord's great uncle for that stupid action movie explosion app and was trying to show us all, and boy if somebody had an iPhone here we could FACE-TIME! Gord's sister made the mistake of checking her phone in front of him... "ALICIA YOU HAVE AN IPHONE TOO? LET'S FACE TIME" and they did for about 5 minutes with J showing everyone in the room that you can TALK FACE TO FACE... ON YOUR PHONE.

He looked reeeally crestfallen when he found out their grandma has one too. He's in his late 30's.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 10, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

contrapants posted:

So, eventually listening to people talk about sous vide will be the culinary equivalent of listening to people talk about their cell phones. Once there is a commonplace iOS/Android sous vide interface and app, it'll have the perfect inane storm of conversation.

Out of curiosity, if any of you have played Dungeons & Dragons, has anyone else ever thought "Let me tell you about my phone" is the culturally accepted version of "Let me tell you about my character?"

people talk about their phones?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

I can see that. I've had a few theories on this sort of thing in the past, but I don't obsess about it quite as much as I did before. Quite a lot of it is the desire to feel like a more distinct individual by coming up with something totally earth-shattering that no one's ever thought of before, as most of us were raised poorly and think that fulfillment comes from putting your name on something rather than the act of creating it in the first place. So creating something "unique" is inherently better than creating something "unoriginal" even if you've never actually eaten either before, as one gives you a sense of identity and the other doesn't. (The way crappy food shows talk about chefs as "geniuses" rather than for their true talents as incredible workhorses doesn't help)

Realistically though this offends me the most for burgers. Not because I like burgers all that much, but because the first place people go is always either a.) jalapenos or b.) eggs and both are so completely off-base that I do not even understand how they are evaluating their dishes. Why would you put spice on a relatively bland dish, and why would you put runny fat on a pile of fatty meat with runny fat on top?

I probably know "enough" about food at this point and don't get a whole lot out of reading GWS (certainly not as much as I used to) most of the time but every so often you see something cool. But realistically I could really use another hobby that's been as rewarding and life-changing as cooking has been for me that I could get balls-deep into.

what

edit: what

edit 2:

No Wave posted:

I mean, scrambled they have flavor, but that's only with hella seasoning, a luxury you don't get with an egg on a burger. And it's definitely not a flavor that makes sense w/ a burger.

I guess I meant unseasoned runny egg yolk? I dunno, whatever, there's not much I can say at this point so I'm done.

lol what

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 10, 2013

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

No Wave posted:

Egg yolk is as close to flavorless as a food gets.

This is wrong, you are a broken shell of a human being.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like you, no wave, but drat. Custardy scrambled eggs, crime brûlée, and hollandaise are all places where the flavor of yolk can shine.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I don't know how you can think egg yolks are flavorless unless your taste buds are defective, or you only buy the cheapest battery eggs you can lay your hands on. I'm just completely baffled, here. "I don't like the taste" or "the texture is unpleasant" maybe, but "flavorless"?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

From the ice cream thread:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Cooking gets rid of all of the alcohol, I imagine.

I read this in a source I liked better somewhere, but:

KSL posted:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=711&sid=18335340
  • Alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat -- 85% of alcohol remains
  • Alcohol flamed -- 75% remains
  • No heat, stored overnight -- 70% remains
  • Baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture -- 45% remains
  • Baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture: 15 min. -- 40% remains
  • 30 min. -- 35% remains
  • 1 hour -- 25% remains
  • 1.5 hours -- 20% remains
  • 2 hours -- 10% remains
  • 2.5 hours -- 5% remains

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

A nutritionally balanced meal.

It was vile.

I should've checked the package before leaving the store: Preservatives and yellow food colouring! Blerg.

edit: vvv I wish it was just a potato. The colour's a bit washed out, it was more of a translucent acid-yellow, and the pickle juice was radioactive piss yellow. I wouldn't be surprised if it glowed under a blacklight.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 11, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Thought you were just eating a potato.

Nope :stare:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I'm real glad everybody else was on the same page about egg yolks because I mean really, they are the motherfucking bomb. Double bomb if you live in Europe or get farm fresh eggs with the goddamn orange yolks, oh my god.

Also a fun topping to a salad: poach an egg very lightly, just enough that it holds its shape, chill, then dredge in cornmeal and toss in the fryer to top a squash salad. You cut it open and you just get delicious egg yolk all over everything and it's just crazy good. Plus the fried bits on the outside add nice crunch to it all.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

PokeJoe posted:

I made one recently and I don't think I'll ever go back to vodka (unless im at a restaurant or w/e).

If the restaurant won't put gin in your BM instead of vodka just leave. The eggs are likely to be terrible.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
A fried egg cooked so it's runny but with a nice frill to the whites, a slice of melty sharp cheese and a slice of super cold sliced pickled beetroot are the best combo on top of a tasty seasoned burg. I'm sorry about your egg issues and broken tastebuds :(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I pickled for the first time! Just some shredded carrots in a quick pickle with white vinegar, salt, and sugar. Was intended for bun and banh mi and unfortunately I was at the white people supermarket where there were no daikon radishes to be found. :( But now I have a tupperware full of yummy carrots in my fridge. I will have to figure out other things to put them on.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Thinly shredded white cabbage.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Clavietika posted:

A nutritionally balanced meal.

It was vile.

I should've checked the package before leaving the store: Preservatives and yellow food colouring! Blerg.

edit: vvv I wish it was just a potato. The colour's a bit washed out, it was more of a translucent acid-yellow, and the pickle juice was radioactive piss yellow. I wouldn't be surprised if it glowed under a blacklight.

Isn't that the kind of pickle with 9 servings per whole pickle and each serving is something like 35% of your daily recommended sodium intake?

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

God help me, I didn't look.

e: The plate looked like I cut open a highlighter when we threw the rest in the garbage. I wish I took a picture.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
Is there still a gws irc channel? Couldn't find it in any of the sticky threads.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blacquethoven posted:

Is there still a gws irc channel? Couldn't find it in any of the sticky threads.

#foodchat on synirc

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I eat raw jalapenos with everything, all the time. Was at a Vietnamese place with the lady, eating jalapenos with my vermicelli. She eats one and turns beat red, starts sniffling, tears rolling from her eyes, sweating. Runs to the bathroom to compose herself and I tease her when she returns. She's a lightweight but can usually handle jalapenos.

Then I take a bite of the next jalapeno slice and it almost destroys me. It was loving brutal.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Might have been one of those stout green Pakistani chillies, those are some feisty little fuckers.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I eat raw jalapenos with everything, all the time. Was at a Vietnamese place with the lady, eating jalapenos with my vermicelli. She eats one and turns beat red, starts sniffling, tears rolling from her eyes, sweating. Runs to the bathroom to compose herself and I tease her when she returns. She's a lightweight but can usually handle jalapenos.

Then I take a bite of the next jalapeno slice and it almost destroys me. It was loving brutal.

Jalapenos can very widely on how hot they are due to growing conditions.. For most of the year, they're weakass imported chiles. The ones grown locally over the summer are hooooooot. :kimchi:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The atrocious crime against nature hybrid that Texas A&M made has been taking over supermarkets, too. the so called "TAM Mild Jalapeno". They taste like small bell peppers, it's so sad.

Also, tack me on to the egg on burger as a super awesome goodtimes thing.

I've been obsessed with a trait on burgers lately that I can only describe as "adherence". The ability of the burger to hold itself together. To me, it shows great finesse for ratios of toppings and attention to the affect of topping order to the overall structure and edibility of a burger. I don't think it's something that makes a bad burger good, but I think it is the difference between a good burger and a great burger.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 13, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My first crop of jalapenos was disappointingly mild. We are going to do quick pickle with the rest of the batch.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I know there's some frequent flyers here. Anyone been to Hebei Provence in China? I'm heading over to cover some trade mission for work. Any tips on specialties in that neck of the woods aside from "look for the place with the longest line?" I'll be flying in to Beijing, then visiting Chengde and staying there a night, two days in Qinhuangdao, a day in Tangshan, then Baoding, and a couple days in Shijiazhuang. I've eaten a ton of "Chinese" food, but never any Chinese food, and obviously I'm down to try anything once.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I can appreciate the A&M hybrid jalapeno. It tastes like a jalapeno, so I can use the crap out of it without a massive maelstrom of heat, and use other peppers in smaller doses to control the heat level. Not that I personally have a problem with chile verde that tastes like the surface of the sun, but apparently there are lesser, weaker beings that don't appreciate it so much.

(I put every green pepper I can find in my chile verde, for variety. Lots of hatch chiles, poblanos, jalapenos, even bell peppers, whatever chiles I can find that are vaguely greenish, then serranos to adjust heat levels.)

Also, I love a good burger, but I also love the midnight stack of all the burger stuff - lettuce, tomato, onion, assorted pickles, mayo and a good strong cheese - on a bun, no meat. An ersatz ploughman's lunch, if you will.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I don't particularly care for eggs on burgers, but I've never been a huge fried egg lover anyways, particularly when they crisp up around the edges. The intense egginess of burnt egg protein puts me off somewhat and disturbs the other flavours. I like to season the meat with worcestershire, dried garlic and black pepper, and I mostly just use a sheet of romaine lettuce, a thick slice of very good heirloom tomato if I have it (or non otherwise), and salty Swedish pickle slices. Swiss cheese is hard to beat on a burger. A little bit of mayo on the toasted bun.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I mix some dijon and S&P into my ground chuck. As for toppings, carm onions, an over med egg, a slice of swiss and a slice of extra sharp cheddar. Maybe some thick cut bacon every once in a while.

Lamb burgers are pretty drat good too, I like a little greek salad with tzatziki on the bun.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

I know there's some frequent flyers here. Anyone been to Hebei Provence in China? I'm heading over to cover some trade mission for work. Any tips on specialties in that neck of the woods aside from "look for the place with the longest line?" I'll be flying in to Beijing, then visiting Chengde and staying there a night, two days in Qinhuangdao, a day in Tangshan, then Baoding, and a couple days in Shijiazhuang. I've eaten a ton of "Chinese" food, but never any Chinese food, and obviously I'm down to try anything once.

I'll ask my girlfriend and get back to ya.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

A perfectly fried egg with runny yolk is one of the best treats I give myself regularly. Dash of salt, coarse ground pepper. Fantastic.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BlueGrot posted:

A perfectly fried egg with runny yolk is one of the best treats I give myself regularly. Dash of salt, coarse ground pepper. Fantastic.

I love a runny yolk (over easy) on top of fried hash... I love making hash out of left over meats.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I'll ask my girlfriend and get back to ya.

Thanks!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Squashy Nipples posted:

My first crop of jalapenos was disappointingly mild. We are going to do quick pickle with the rest of the batch.

The variance in spiciness with home grown Jalapeno's seems really odd. The first half dozen or so we picked from our plants were like habenero-style spicy. Way hotter than the average jalapeno. After that, the rest we have picked have been like green peppers. I don't get it.

Still, they all taste pretty good pickled.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

BlueGrot posted:

Cook up some kale with lardons, garlic, s&p, and a little white wine vinegar, then put a perfectly fried egg with a runny yolk on top. Everyone should do this as often as possible. In fact, that's what I'm going to have for dinner tonight now that you made me think of it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

quote:

hebei is kinda poor:)

Basically, hebei cuisine is known as Ji cuisine. And Ji cuisine is famous for its noodles. He can try the noodles if he likes.
Braised ck, motley noodle and pawns and crabs are famous there

hebei is very close to Beijing. So if I were him, I would definitely go to Beijing:)

Chicken*

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

NightConqueror posted:

The variance in spiciness with home grown Jalapeno's seems really odd. The first half dozen or so we picked from our plants were like habenero-style spicy. Way hotter than the average jalapeno. After that, the rest we have picked have been like green peppers. I don't get it.

Still, they all taste pretty good pickled.

Chillies cross pollinate very easy. I've got seeds from dozens of growers all over the world, and if one chilli is going to be a disappointment, it's always a jalapeno or thai type chilli.
The more a chilli is cultivated, the more likely it's going to be crossed by the time I get it. Ie, one guy growing in his backyard with 30 species, the seeds from the rarer ones will be more true to form, common one's likely already have some crossing in their genetics previously so easier to have them cross again with chillies grown at the same time.
Also as far as commercial supplies, jalapenos are the biggest grown chillies probably (edit: as in numbers of growers and plants grown), and are crossed with bell peppers a lot (accidentally maybe sometimes as they are grown in the same regions, intentional a lot of other times to make them bigger - see jaloros and other crosses done by companies to make jalapenos bigger and milder as Grav mentioned).
Anyway, my point is, growing a jalapeno and finding it has no heat, is very very common these days. Need to find a purer source of seeds as many out there are hybrids so the seeds from them are worthless. Need to find a heirloom strain if there's such a thing in the chilli seed world, or failing that, seeds from overseas.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 13, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
My "problem" wasn't so much as mild heat, the ones I munch often have a nice scorch to them. Just whatever that one I had that day was almost to my threshold and I have a pretty high tolerance.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Jalapenos aren't hot, usually around 5-7k SHU if they are the real deal, though lots of jalapenos these days are only 2k SHU or less due to hybrids and crossing. If you think that means you have a high tolerance, I don't know what to say because I wasn't quoting you or responding to you.
Heaps of chillies in the annuum family (where jalapenos are from) are 20k SHU, could have crossed with them or the chillies you had were one of them instead and mislabeled. These days even HHW are hotter than jalapenos even though they both used to be about the same. And of course there's the serrano, and heaps of others in the annuum famliy

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Was just commenting. I agree, they aren't very hot, which is why I was incredibly surprised.