Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Now that it's all out, I've gone back and reinstalled the game to play the DLCs. Beat the first one so far.

It's pretty boring, tbh. It's an area the size of Emerald Vale filled with almost nothing but Marauders. There is a small holdout area with a few NPCs that give you a couple of fetch quests and several facilities that you have to clear out for the main quest. The story is pretty by-the-numbers and the twists and revelations are blinding obvious. It's like ten more hours of Monarch, except I recall enjoying Monarch a little more.

Hope the second DLC is a little less boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Played through the second DLC as well.

It's a big improvement on the first one, IMO. A movie star gets murdered at a posh resort and you are invited to investigate. The resort is very pretty, there are enough quests to tackle and NPCs to interrogate to make you feel like you're actually playing an RPG and the writing is decent enough - I wasn't shocked by the final reveals, but they were set up fairly well. They also, thankfully, spared us the usual both-side-ism and the "what if there's a compromise?!".

On the downside, by level 30 combat becomes beyond stale and the devs didn't have the decency to just omit it entirely. There is a fair amount of trash mobs to clear out, even if it's usually trivial to do so with your endgame gear, and it just grates on you. Also, investigating loses its zest somewhat when you get quest markers pointing out where to find all the clues.

Still, this was way more fun than Peril on Gorgon. If you're not put off by the idea of playing more TOW, you might enjoy this.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClhDyC0ZECs

Huh. I really did not expect this game to get a sequel. Good for Obsidian, I guess.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That looks more interesting than Starfield, tbh.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Humorously self-aware. Fingers crossed for some cool improvements

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Going to laugh when that monster appears in the game.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The DLCs improved my Outer Worlds 1 experience, so I have hopes for 2.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Raygereio posted:

Huh. I really did not expect this game to get a sequel. Good for Obsidian, I guess.

it sold really well. if you're just going from online reaction you'd think the game was a flop, but its one of those deeply forgettable games that everyone played

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Can’t wait to get another gamepass free trial then find out the game is trash like the original

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Humorously self-aware. Fingers crossed for some cool improvements

The trailer for the first game was also humorously self-aware, and it didn't end up reflected in the product. Well, hopefully they listened to some of the critical feedback.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The first game was fine I guess, even if I have completely forgotten it. Still, a sequel that is actually good would be great so here's hoping.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So wait, sequel when? Next year, this year, in two yeras...? :confused:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm really getting vibes of that one trailer for the 2005 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBXm29u54e0

That movie was pretty meh, so whatever.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Can’t wait to get another gamepass free trial then find out the game is trash like the original

:yeah:

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 13, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

MiddleOne posted:

Probably like 2024? Hopefully they take their time.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Roadie posted:

I'm really getting vibes of that one trailer for the 2005 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBXm29u54e0

That movie was pretty meh, so whatever.

Oh wow that's really close, gotta be deliberate right

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Boring trailer made for a boring game played by boring people. Nothing is funny about the trailer at all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

Oh wow that's really close, gotta be deliberate right

I think it's just not a super original premise for a trailer. I bet there's probably a few more trailers like that around.

This one was still fun, though.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 13, 2021

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I think a winking, self-aware trailer would be good for a sequel to a game that wasn't The Outer Worlds

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve had time to watch the trailer now, some serious balls on them to make jokes about things being unfinished.

What a misfire.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The trailer for the first game was also humorously self-aware, and it didn't end up reflected in the product. Well, hopefully they listened to some of the critical feedback.

Hopefully, though actual “critics” loved the game and it won writing awards vs disco elysium which is simply baffling.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve had time to watch the trailer now, some serious balls on them to make jokes about things being unfinished.

What a misfire.

I mean, not really? The first TOW was released in a solid state. And the last game they released in a really rough state was New Vegas, 11 years ago.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

I mean, not really? The first TOW was released in a solid state. And the last game they released in a really rough state was New Vegas, 11 years ago.

people just want to feel something about a game that doesn't inspire much feeling, so i think anger is the default

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

drkeiscool posted:

people just want to feel something about a game that doesn't inspire much feeling, so i think anger is the default

yeah Outer Worlds isn't bad in the way some games are, it's just, there's not much going on there you know? Very few really memorable characters, questlines, decisions, etc.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Music was nice though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Bummer about that is that Justin Bell just left Obsidian.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Megazver posted:

Solid state in that it ran and didn’t break, sure. That didn’t stop it from feeling half baked and cut down, like they’d sawn off half the game at some point and just gone with it.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I think I actually nailed my issue with Outer Worlds while in the shower, and its that in addition to all the other issues brought up before, it feels so much like Old World Blues from New Vegas except without any of the context the conflict from the Mojave gave to the conflict in the Big Empty. It has a similar focus on ZANY SCIENCE!!!, well written dialogue that nonetheless drags (subjective, I know), and an overworld that looks interesting at first glance but at a closer look is repetitive. The issue is that while OWB had the context of both the scientists surviving and going crazy after the apocalypse and the new conflict that the courier is involved with, OW has you trying to save your fellow colonists you know nothing about aaaaand that's about it. To be fair, I still haven't left the initial space station you visit after leaving the intro planet, but even if some dramatic stakes were introduced later (and judging by the thread, they don't) it's far, far too late.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Raygereio posted:

i did, its not perfect but it sold very very well and was pretty well recieved for a weird AA fallout 3 clone. but, yeah. i am hoping with microsoft money behind it that it ends up being a full AAA game and they dig more into the universe and poo poo.

Pattonesque posted:

yeah Outer Worlds isn't bad in the way some games are, it's just, there's not much going on there you know? Very few really memorable characters, questlines, decisions, etc.

its a mix of the combat being ehh mixed with the quests following every trope in the book and while some characters and plots and ideas are cool, it doesn't go far enough. it was also kinda sold as the next FNV and came out like a month after disco which is a loving solid gem of magical game that pulled no punches when it came to its politics and ideas and writing.

MiddleOne posted:

probably 2023. the game industry got loving hammered schedule wise by covid and alot of games are probably delayed by a year or so.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Raygereio posted:

I will play the living poo poo out of this. The first game was extremely good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Megazver posted:

yeah from a technical perspective outer worlds was solid. mechanically it hit all the points it needed to hit. the problem was the content was uninspired and by the numbers, which isn't a big deal if this is one of the first sci-fi first person RPG looter shooters you've ever played. or if you're looking for the game equivalent of a forgettable but cozy sitcom. as far as a sequel goes they dont need to do much to change the engine or the content, just release more of the same and it'll turn a solid profit based on folks who could swallow the original

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably 2023. the game industry got loving hammered schedule wise by covid and alot of games are probably delayed by a year or so.

Oh.

Kinda dumb to release a trailer then imho. Any info on if they're building on the old engine?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I definitely enjoyed the first game enough to play the sequel, but I don't think I'll be going for the full-price day-one purchase this time around.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

Oh.

Kinda dumb to release a trailer then imho. Any info on if they're building on the old engine?

very likely they would, the old engine was good enough and likely one reason they're doing a sequel is just to milk the franchise while it exists. now that obsidian is part of the microsoft portfolio its going to be bread and butter poo poo like this that keeps the accountants at bay while hopefully they turn out actually interesting games on the side

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Oh, it sold really well and the critical reception was good. Of course, one could argue that the later was too good, especially when it comes to awards, which makes the sequel prime material for some serious hype backlash. I think Obsidian and Microsoft will have to be very careful with the marketing for the sequel and take care to show improvement in some key areas, notably perks, which have to be exciting this time!

Khizan posted:

Going to laugh when that monster appears in the game.
Its head reminds me of a primal, so...

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The first one was a pretty low budget game I think so maybe there's some hope that it will at least have better gameplay and be a decent size with Microsoft funding. I'll probably try it when it comes to Game Pass. If it's still the same guys directing then I don't have a lot of hope though.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The engine was great. With some good writers they could do well.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again; I’m hoping for an AC-AC2 like jump from “glorified tech demo” to “good game.”

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Funny how outer worlds tongue in cheek "corporations are bad" was less cringe than cyberpunks "corporations are the devil" and was better written.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Funny how outer worlds tongue in cheek "corporations are bad" was less cringe than cyberpunks "corporations are the devil" and was better written.

The message of the outer worlds was "yeah uh this corporate hellscape is up at a 10, we need to get this down to about an 8" whereas cyberpunk 2077 was "corporations will always gently caress you and you can only save yourself. even then you probably actually can't"

vvv unfortunately it appears that thats what critics and those that rated it highly liked about the game so that may be here to stay

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Outer worlds was poo poo, but maybe outer worlds 2 will be less poo poo? Who knows let's hope they drop the whedon humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheCenturion posted:

The engine was great. With some good writers they could do well.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again; I’m hoping for an AC-AC2 like jump from “glorified tech demo” to “good game.”

thats my hope. the "20/30s scifi serial meets gilded age hell corps is a cool set up. so i am hopeful that this one will be better because big budget.

Tenzarin posted:

cyberpunks issue is less that and more that it ends up spinning its narrative wheels through the middle and then just ends. none of the endings are bad, its just that the middle kinda sucks and alot of the big quests are tied to romantic characters/etc. plus outer worlds isnt a broken mess that got taken off psn store.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 14, 2021