Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Way back in the year 1997, a game called Fallout was released. You may have heard of it! That game was the brainchild of game designer Tim Cain, who would later go on to work on games like Arcanum and Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. At the time, Cain was working at a studio called Interplay—and while that studio later collapsed, many of the studio's veterans went on to found Obsidian Entertainment, creators of games such as Knights of the Old Republic II, Alpha Protocol, the Pillars of Eternity series, and one of the best RPGs of the past decade, Fallout: New Vegas.

Now, Obsidian and Tim Cain are back together again, and they're taking you as far from the withered husk of the Fallout franchise as it's physically possible to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc

Set in the far future on Earth's most distant colony, Outer Worlds is a first person RPG where the player, a prospective colonist to a distant world, wakes up from being frozen to find that not only were they frozen for far longer than they should have been, but the colony they traveled to has become a corporate battleground, with multiple factions fighting for power, profit, or both.

Gameplay-wise not a huge amount is known, but it's a first-person shooter where the player can level up their character, gain skill points, obtain perks, and, in a unique twist, develop flaws that can give your character long-term weaknesses in exchange for instant bonus perks. As is usual for Obsidian, quests are designed to be multi-faceted and can be completed with multiple different approaches, moral choices are less 'good versus evil' and more 'What makes the most sense for my character?', and there's lots of drugs, but no pressure to take them.

In short, it's New Vegas in space. What's not to like?

Gameplay Videos and Screenshots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cRpYGVPsU

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Auntie Cleo's News Emporium

The Outer Worlds comes out on the Epic Game Store and Microsoft Store on October 25th.

Gameplay videos and trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_2rBKr6oZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7TWIV5X4NQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Ua2JvJoxQ

Articles

A lengthy list of preview articles about the game can be found at the Obsidian forums HERE

Initial information about the game came from an article on PC gamer, which included the following information:

quote:

• It's out in 2019
  • It's an Unreal Engine 4 game
  • Your protagonist isn't voiced
  • There's a special class of "science weapons" that will have special, ridiculous effects, like a shrink ray
  • There's a full character creator even though it's first-person only (you'll see your character in the inventory, and if you leave the game idling long)
  • Your companions don't have separate inventories. Taking companions with you just gives you more inventory space to work with yourself
  • If companions really dislike the decisions you make, they'll leave and go back to the ship. You can persuade them to see things your way
  • No romancing companions. They considered it, but decided against it.
  • Companions each have a special attack (one named Felix does a double drop kick) but you can also equip them with whatever weapons you want
  • Hacking and lockpicking don't have minigames, and are simply based on your attributes
  • There are six skills (strength, intelligence etc.) and for every 20 points you put into one (up until 100) you'll gain a new perk
  • As in the creators' past games, you can play as a "dumb" character with stupid dialogue options. Your companions react appropriately.
  • They're still not sure if it will be possible to play through the game completely pacifist (but you'll almost definitely have to at least kill some robots)
  • Robots aren't sentient, but your ship's AI seems to have a strange degree of personality
  • Tim Cain wants you to know there are a lot of drugs, but he's not going to pressure you to take them

The main Outer Worlds site also includes the following blurb:

quote:

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the Halcyon colony. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 1, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its gonna be good, OP

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm disappointed in your thread title. Too obvious.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
What's the space version of Johnny Guitar?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Agent355 posted:

I'm disappointed in your thread title. Too obvious.

:saddowns:

ApeHawk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0nlygb1Qfw

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Can't believe they named the 77th Fallout The Outer Worlds.

Some more media:

First look from PC Gamer - https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidians-the-outer-worlds-blends-firefly-and-fallout-into-a-bold-open-ended-sci-fi-rpg/

Gameplay video from Game Informer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cRpYGVPsU

ApeHawk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0nlygb1Qfw

^^^edit: :argh:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's okay we can recover from this.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I like we are free from the tyranny of dumb unlocking/hacking minigames.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Tei posted:

Making you hold a button down for ten seconds is still dumb, though it's less dumb than making you play towers of hanoi or line up pipes or something.

Hopefully they shorten the time a bit or maybe stats/skills will make the time shorter?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm here for a hopefully good open-world rpg shooter.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tei posted:

Also Gamebryo, Bethesda, microtransactions...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

And while there's no pressure to take the drugs, based on my experience with Fallout: New Vegas you should take all the drugs, repeatedly.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Can't wait to mod the soundtrack to only play Big Iron on a loop

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Haven’t looked at the article yet, but is this going to be an Xbone exclusive due to Obsidian being bought by Microsoft?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Haven’t looked at the article yet, but is this going to be an Xbone exclusive due to Obsidian being bought by Microsoft?

Xbone, PS4, and PC.

It's a pre-existing deal from before the buyout with Private Division, which is an arm of Take-Two.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
^^ :argh:

Sheen Sheen posted:

They're saying it's coming out for PS4 too.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
No it’s being released on Xbox PlayStation and steam. Future obsidian titles may be restricted.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sheen Sheen posted:

Nope, the publishing deal predates the Microsoft sale, so the game will be on Xbox, PS4, and PC.

e: goddamn beaten three times

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Yay :toot:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Some further details are that they've been working on this for two years, and my understanding of Private Division is that they fund the title but the studio gets to keep the IP, however Private Division gets right of first refusal or something on any sequels. Not sure how the Microsoft buyout complicates those terms.

Private Division targets a budget somewhere between AAA and indie, so don't expect this to be a full-scale open world like New Vegas.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Fallout New Vegas In Space, and on Steam day one. LOL, everyone is dunking on Fallout 76 now.

Needless to say, this is getting some of my Steam Funbux

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I am very excited for Fallout: Mass Borderlands Shock.

It does look like it will be very fun, though!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think this game is going to be...

OUTER this WORLD

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Really says it all doesn't it

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1070968972940431360

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finally getting the Borderlands 3 I prayed for.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Obsidian never forgot about the metacritic score Bethesda used to poo poo all over their New Vegas bonus. Now its time for pay back. They are coming after Starfield and it is glorious. They are going to eat Bethesdas lunch and there is nothing they can do about it but watch.

This reminds me of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite getting owned hard by Dragonball Fighter Z.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rutibex posted:

Obsidian never forgot about the metacritic score Bethesda used to poo poo all over their New Vegas bonus. Now its time for pay back. They are coming after Starfield and it is glorious. They are going to eat Bethesdas lunch and there is nothing they can do about it but watch.

This reminds me of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite getting owned hard by Dragonball Fighter Z.

yeah and its coming in 2019 too. starfield is maybe 2 years away at best.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah and its coming in 2019 too. starfield is maybe 2 years away at best.

Marking the start of my eventual arc into hatred and bitterness.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
They had me at no romancing companions. That mechanic has always seemed... creepy to me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They had me at no romancing companions. That mechanic has always seemed... creepy to me.

Same. I think it's fine in some games if done tastefully, but for the people that want them the romances are always NOT ENOUGH.

I just wanna shoot finger guns or have finger guns shot at me, that would be the highest level of companion interaction in my opinion.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That's a mighty purty OP...be a shame if something happened to it... *posts about Creation Engine*

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

everyone knows loving involves picking the top right option until the end of time

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

That's a mighty purty OP...be a shame if something happened to it... *posts about Creation Engine*

[Everyone disliked that.]

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Synastren posted:

I am very excited for Fallout: Mass Borderlands Shock.

It does look like it will be very fun, though!

It does seem like a weird mix of those games with the Obsidian writing/quest design.

Is there a release date for this? Could see it being a sleeper hit if it comes in a not too competitive month.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For all my making GBS threads on Fallout 4 I can't say no to Curie.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
A highly stylized vaguely dystopian corporate sci-fi future first person shooter made by a dev with a good track record? This is everything I've ever wanted in a video game....I absolutely can not wait to be disappointed by it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

As is usual for Obsidian, quests are designed to be multi-faceted and can be completed with multiple different approaches, moral choices are less 'good versus evil' and more 'What makes the most sense for my character?', and there's lots of drugs, but no pressure to take them.

I'm going to take every drug in space at the same time and write a game called Tomorrowind

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
"Your protagonist isn't voiced

No romancing companions. They considered it, but decided against it.

Hacking and lockpicking don't have minigames, and are simply based on your attributes

There are six skills (strength, intelligence etc.) and for every 20 points you put into one (up until 100) you'll gain a new perk."

/sobbing Stop, [Fallout76] is already dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Dumb intelligence responses are back!