Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ShubaSKrishnan/status/1494128873659076608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Ah the classic NSW Government for Sydney CBD and only Sydney CBD

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If I was back at my old job WFH three days a week would easily clear up 6 hours of travel time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I have a short commute and also like a very clear work/home delineation so was very happy to come back to the office pretty much full time as soon as we could.

Still do occasional WFH days, but it helps my mental health a lot to be able to turn off work when I leave.

Also helps that we do 4 day weeks anyway.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

still got the rest of the day to rule this illegal and classify it under the renewable energy target

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

I have a short commute and also like a very clear work/home delineation so was very happy to come back to the office pretty much full time as soon as we could.

Still do occasional WFH days, but it helps my mental health a lot to be able to turn off work when I leave.

Also helps that we do 4 day weeks anyway.

4 day weeks rule in an office work environment. Well worth the 20% pay cut.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
4 day weeks without the pay cut sounds even more enticing

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hooman posted:

4 day weeks rule in an office work environment. Well worth the 20% pay cut.

We didn't get a pay cut, salaries stayed the same!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The idea of giant office buildings everyone works in is so unbelievably antiquated at this point it's amazing it lasted as long as it did

can't wait to commute 30+ minutes into work to sit at a desk in front of Work Screen

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'd go 4x10 if they wanted to be poo poo about it. ive done it before and 2hrs extra at work when you're already there isnt so bad.

i would still want one of those days to be wfh though. I like having a day to do poo poo uninterrupted (or at least control my interruptions via Teams/phone calls)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

abigserve posted:

The idea of giant office buildings everyone works in is so unbelievably antiquated at this point it's amazing it lasted as long as it did

can't wait to commute 30+ minutes into work to sit at a desk in front of Work Screen

There are a lot of benefits to be had via workplace culture, ease of face to face meeting or help and client/stakeholder meeting space, but yeah if you just touch buttons it's pretty stupid.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Working 4 or less days a week instead of 5 and being paid less money to do the same amount of work is pretty stupid.

You could probably just ask your boss if you could do that right now.

The point is a better standard of living.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Greg of Doom posted:

Working 4 or less days a week instead of 5 and being paid less money to do the same amount of work is pretty stupid.

6.6 of the workforce already do this lmao, its just being underemployed

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

abigserve posted:

It's gonna look so weird in retrospect. Like how we invented the idea of ambulances but then waited another 30 years to be like "hmmm maybe we should give the drivers medical training too."

Though maybe part of it is also the fact that it was only one or two generations ago that you could super easily buy a house in Essendon or Camberwell at age 25, zip into the CBD on an uncongested freeway, park on the side of the road and be slapping your secretary's rear end twenty minutes after you walked out your front door. The pandemic is just the wool lifted from people's eyes about how hosed housing and urban sprawl and commuting and overcrowding has become.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Got an in law who works three 12 hour graveyards a week and then has 4 days off. Unironically would love that.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Even with 4 days off and overtime loading that's an awful deal but I'd do it for 5 years for a house deposit or to get the capital for a business together and gtfo but graveyard shifts are hosed

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My ability to get stuff done drops off rapidly after 9 hrs at work so I don't think I'd go for fewer, longer days

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I did the 5/8 to 4/10 shift a while ago (wasn't given a choice) and it would probably be better if you had a long commute but I don't think I'd personally choose it. Finishing at 7 rather than 5 really does make a difference in doing stuff after work, whether it's catching up with someone for drinks or going to the gym or whatever. Really makes your spare time each day shrink down to just a few hours.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

Got an in law who works three 12 hour graveyards a week and then has 4 days off. Unironically would love that.

4x10 was always heavily sought after in warehousing. Employers have been diligent in getting rid of it because people can't have anything nice but it whips if you can get it because any ot on a ten hour goes straight to double time generally.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Zenithe posted:

Years ago I did a similar thing. 8PM-6AM Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Can confirm. It was awesome. Only 10 hours short of a regular full time roster, so decent enough pay. And 4 days off, during weekdays, so everything is open.

Also because you have 4 consecutive days off every week, you don't need to be stuck on the horrible "sleep during the day" biorythm that can happen when you do night shift for too long.

Yeah it sucked that I couldn't go out on the weekends, but it was a small price to pay.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
ITT: goons who clearly have large enough houses where they can better delineate work from home.

Like I have a 2 bedroom apartment and WFH freaking sucks. Where are the people at??

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Recoome posted:

ITT: goons who clearly have large enough houses where they can better delineate work from home.

Like I have a 2 bedroom apartment and WFH freaking sucks. Where are the people at??

My partner and I wfh in a 1 bedroom apartment. Maybe elaborate or recognize not everyone has the same wfh challenges.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I live in a studio and I like WFH. I appreciate it just because I don't have take transit into town, I don't have to dress up at all and I can roll out of bed like 5 minutes before work and turn on my laptop

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

I work in our open plan living/dining and at the end of the day I switch off my lap top and put it in a drawer. Some lines are imaginary. You can find a way.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I work customer service in the office 5 days a week and having covid roll through your staff 1 by 1 and then roll back through again later on sucks tbh, WFH sounds better regardless of house size.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Yeah I use the same desk for work and free time, and have no trouble switching modes

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
yeah I'm wfh 3 days a week at the moment and live in a 2br apartment with my daughter and have my pc in my room. it fuckin rules. I paint warhammer in my down time at work instead of trying to not obviously scroll through social media in the office. can have music pumping and I'm also way more productive.

we got enterprise bargaining going on at the moment and it looks like we are gonna get our wfh rights for professional staff through so I'm hoping I can do it 4 or 5 days a week.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I'm 3 days per week from home though I'm about to go into the office in melbourne 2 days a week as there is no available suitable childcare in my regional area and my office has a center literally next door. That poo poo is loving expensive.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Recoome posted:

I'm in a similar situation with a 2 bedroom unit and I loving hate WFH for pretty much the same reason you do. I'm working on the kitchen table and because I have a bunch of client documents lying around all the time it's like I never leave work. I also found I got distracted from work really easily and felt really unproductive. I think it'd be better in a 3 bedroom (or larger) house where I can have a separate office area away from where I am outside of work hours.

Edit - it probably doesn't help that I'm a 10 minute bike ride from work so there's no major reduction in travel time by working from home. I also mostly like the people I work with.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The one thing I've really noticed about WFH opinions is that they just don't match up to real-life circumstances as much as I thought they would. You'd think there'd be a clear line between introverts/extroverts, kids/no kids, big house/studio apartment, long commute/lives next door. But in my experience it's not like that at all, people's individual opinions seem almost random.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Recoome posted:

Agreed it's hosed and I'm glad I can sneak in a couple of days a week at the office again now with no-one caring that's against official policies still.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ANTONY NOOOO

https://twitter.com/antonygreenelec/status/1494154888649261057?s=21

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Ligma deez postal votes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He knows what it is

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
He 100& wouldn't have made this joke if it was a white doll.

https://twitter.com/JeremyPoxon/status/1494196521440452611

Not good.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ranter posted:

My partner and I wfh in a 1 bedroom apartment. Maybe elaborate or recognize not everyone has the same wfh challenges.

Interacting with people is a normal part of working and it’s not the same doing it remotely. What’s there to elaborate on?

There’s significant advantages to contextual using work in a single setting rather than letting it bleed into the home but I guess you so t have a problem so no one can?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I work in our open plan living/dining and at the end of the day I switch off my lap top and put it in a drawer. Some lines are imaginary. You can find a way.

You probably tell people to be happy/less anxious because hey, it works for you and you aren’t any of those things.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I live in a tiny studio and it's fine for me, but I understand that a lot of people don't have the ability to completely ignore poo poo they don't want to deal with

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Greg of Doom posted:

He 100& wouldn't have made this joke if it was a white doll.

Who this nobody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Recoome posted:

Interacting with people is a normal part of working and it’s not the same doing it remotely. What’s there to elaborate on?

There’s significant advantages to contextual using work in a single setting rather than letting it bleed into the home but I guess you so t have a problem so no one can?

And this is related to your supposition about the size of goons' houses, which he was directly addressing, how?